View Full Version : Jason Wilde : OTA camp report 06/20/06

motife
06-20-2006, 05:19 PM
TUE., JUN 20, 2006 - 2:28 AM
Packers notes: Herron improves his stock
JASON WILDE
608-252-6176
jwilde@madison.com
GREEN BAY - While the Green Bay Packers are still eagerly awaiting the healthy returns of Ahman Green and Najeh Davenport and are still enamored with the abilities of Samkon Gado, the organized team activity practices have yielded what they believe is another running back option: Noah Herron.

"I'm really excited about him," offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski said Monday afternoon after the 12th of the team's 14 OTAs, which wrap up Wednesday. "He's made the most improvement of any of them."

The Packers plucked Herron from the Pittsburgh Steelers' practice squad last Nov. 30 after entering the league as a seventh-round pick from Northwestern.

One in a seemingly interminable line of running backs thrust into the Packers' lineup last year due to injury, Herron took over after Gado suffered a knee injury Dec. 19 at Baltimore as the primary back and then shared time with Tony Fisher (who has since signed with the Rams) in the final two games.

He finished last season with 121 yards and two touchdowns on 45 carries (2.7-yard average) but looked like little more than a fill-in at the time. But with Green (quadriceps tendon) and Davenport (broken leg) missing all of the offseason minicamps and OTAs, Herron and Gado have gotten most of the work in the new zone-blocking scheme.

Jagodzinski said Herron fits at both halfback and fullback. "He's a football player," Jagodzinski said.

"I think I showed a little bit last year that I can carry the load," Herron said. "I know once Ahman comes back, he's the guy. The more things I can do, I'm willing to try."

Return to sender

The Packers' continued search for potential punt and kickoff returners will extend well into training camp, and special teams coordinator Mike Stock is fine with that.

Right now, rookie receivers Corey Rodgers and Greg Jennings are Stock's top candidates on punts, followed by cornerback Charles Woodson, who hasn't shown up for any OTAs. Stock said Robert Ferguson and Donald Driver are his "hole cards."

On kickoffs, Rodgers and Jennings are again the primary options, while Gado, Ahmad Carroll and Chaz Williams also are possibilities. Undrafted rookie Leo Bookman is intriguing, but Stock said two injured players - Davenport and cornerback Will Blackmon - could jump up if they can stay healthy. Blackmon suffered a foot injury at the end of the second minicamp in May, but is expected to be back for training camp.

Stock inherits return units that ranked 12th in punt return average (8.5 yards) and last in the 32-team league in kickoff return average (18.9 yards).

Extra points

Quarterback Brett Favre returned to practice after missing Friday's workout. ... Also returning from absences were fullback William Henderson and tight end David Martin. ... Missing from practice were safeties Marviel Underwood and Nick Collins; cornerbacks Jason Horton, Al Harris, Mike Hawkins and Woodson; Jennings; tight end Bubba Franks and defensive tackles Colin Cole, Kenderick Allen and Corey Williams. ... Players out with injuries but observing practice were wide receivers Rod Gardner (hamstring) and Robert Ferguson (leg); running backs Arliss Beach (hamstring) and Davenport, linebackers Brady Poppinga (knee) and Roy Manning (unknown), center Chris White (shoulder) and tackles Adrian Klemm (knee) and Chad Clifton (knees).