PDA

View Full Version : Holmgren's Seahawks an injured mess

oregonpackfan
09-12-2008, 09:55 AM
The Seahawks are in desperate straits with a slew of injuries to key players. Five of their first six receivers are out along with injuries to their running backs and offensive linemen. I can't help but think Holmgren must have said to himself many times, "I never should have left Green Bay..."

Holmgren isn't worried, but maybe he should be
Posted by Aaron Fentress, The Oregonian September 11, 2008 15:24PM
Categories: NFL insider, Seahawks Update

RENTON, Wash. -- Knee deep in the debris surrounding him, Seattle coach Mike Holmgren put the brakes on the notion that his injury-plagued team resides in a state of emergency.

"The doom and gloom theme," he said, "let's hold off on that just a little bit. Let's see where we're going with this."

It was a fair enough response to a likely premature question regarding the ugly state of Holmgren's team in this, his final season as head coach. Even following Sunday's unsightly 34-10 loss at Buffalo, the reality is that the Seahawks are only one game into a long season.
David Duprey/Associated Press"The doom and gloom theme, let's hold off on that just a little bit," Seattle coach Mike Holmgren said. But simmering issues appear ready to boil over.
But it's difficult to paint even a tranquil face over Seattle's gruesome reality. Seven key offensive players are sidelined by injuries -- three for the season -- and other simmering issues appear ready to boil over.

Suddenly, in the blink of an ACL tear, the seemingly once high-flying Seahawks have begun at least a gradual descent toward mediocrity that could keep Holmgren from going out a winner.

Prior to Sunday, one could make the case (as I did) that the Seahawks were trumped only by Dallas in the NFC. But what separated Seattle from teams such as Carolina, Philadelphia, Tampa Bay, New Orleans and the New York Giants hinged on those teams' glaring shortcomings and the Seahawks' potential to resuscitate a running game ranked 20th in 2007.

Now, that argument falls flat. All but one of the six aforementioned teams won impressively in Week 1, while Seattle sent more players to the doctor than the end zone.

Evidence of an improved running game was scarce amid Seattle's 85 rushing yards Sunday against a Buffalo defense that ranked 25th against the run last season.

To make matters worse, the loss of young but promising guard Rob Sims for the season with a torn biceps muscle further depletes an offensive line with several youngsters who have yet to develop around their anchor, left tackle Walter Jones.

And did I mention that running back Maurice Morris is out for two weeks with a sprained knee?

When the running game faltered last season, Holmgren turned the game plan over to quarterback Matt Hasselbeck.

Good luck with that this season.

The passing game is minus five of its top six wide receivers from 2007 until at least Week 5.

Holmgren could not recall ever facing a more dire injury situation, let alone at one position. This is a man who in stints with San Francisco, Green Bay and Seattle has coached the likes of Jerry Rice, John Taylor, Sterling Sharpe, Antonio Freeman, Andre Rison and Joey Galloway.

Sunday, he'll trot out receivers Logan Payne, Courtney Taylor, Billy McMullen and Samie Parker.

"But here's the good thing: We still have our quarterback walking around," Holmgren said. "He's pretty good. And our defense, which we were counting on anyway, to kind of hold us together until, certainly after the bye, until we get our receivers back, they're intact."

Um, Hasselbeck has a bulging disc in his back that kept him out of three preseason games.

And, just how good is that defense, anyway?

Granted, it racks up sacks and forces turnovers, much to the delight of fantasy leaguers. But in the real world, Seattle's defense is at its best while playing with a lead. It is far too vulnerable against the run to carry this team, especially on the road.

Last year Seattle feasted mostly on teams forced to play backup quarterbacks. When they faced healthy starters, the Seahawks largely got torched.

Sunday, second-year Bills quarterback Trent Edwards posted a 95.8 passer rating.

That's reason enough for concern.

Holmgren was asked if he had any regrets about returning for one more year before pursuing a career as a general manager. He said the current situation is all a part of the challenge of coaching and that he absolutely knows that he "did the right thing."

And he did. The team was there for a legitimate run in a league defined by its parity.

But now ... ?

Now, Holmgren's wounded Seahawks desperately need a gust of good fortune.

KYPack
09-12-2008, 10:45 AM
I don't think Holmy's "lame duck" year is a brainy notion. If mora's gonna be the coach, let him coach. This "coach in the wings" deal is a disaster.

mraynrand
09-12-2008, 11:21 AM
Prior to Sunday, one could make the case (as I did) that the Seahawks were trumped only by Dallas in the NFC. But what separated Seattle from teams such as Carolina, Philadelphia, Tampa Bay, New Orleans and the New York Giants hinged on those teams' glaring shortcomings and the Seahawks' potential to resuscitate a running game ranked 20th in 2007.

Did this guy watch the NFC Divisional game last year? The game in which, except for a couple of gift TDs, the Seahawks were totally obliterated? The only reason the Seahawks weren't on my worst team in the NFL list this year was that they are coached by Holmgren and that they play in a weak division.

boiga
09-12-2008, 11:30 AM
I don't think Holmy's "lame duck" year is a brainy notion. If mora's gonna be the coach, let him coach. This "coach in the wings" deal is a disaster. On the other hand, would you rather have the old coach leave after a horrible injury filled season or let the new young coach take the blame for it in his first year?

With their top 4 WR's out, I wonder if they'll take a look at Koren. He's still unemployed as far as I know, and the seahawks have a long history of making good with Packers castoffs.

Zool
09-12-2008, 11:41 AM
I dont think Koren is welcome in Seattle or Minnesota anymore.

boiga
09-12-2008, 11:54 AM
I dont think Koren is welcome in Seattle or Minnesota anymore. Good point....

sheepshead
09-12-2008, 01:33 PM
Mike "its all about me " Holmgren...who cares-enjoy your retirement.

boiga
09-14-2008, 11:19 AM
I dont think Koren is welcome in Seattle or Minnesota anymore.

Apparently, a very good point:
SEAHAWKS RESIST KOREN TEMPTATION
Posted by Mike Florio on September 14, 2008, 6:59 a.m. EDT

With the receiving corps in shambles, the Seattle Seahawks aren’t yet sufficiently desperate to bring back the top-ten draft pick whom they dumped more than three years ago.

The receiver in question is Koren Robinson. He’s been out of the league since being dumped by the Packers in the offseason. Since then, Robinson has gotten few if any sniffs.

And while no team has had a greater need than the Seahawks and while he knows the offense, Robinson isn’t getting another shot there. At least for now.

“Koren’s name was one of the names mentioned, certainly. There is some logic to it,” coach Mike Holmgren said earlier this week. “But that was one of 30 names.”

Given Robinson’s misadventures during his time in Seattle, the fact that he’d even make the list of 30 suggests to us that the list also contains names like Steve Largent, Raymond Berry, and Elroy Hirsch.

“Koren has a history here,” Holmgren said. “It’s been talked about, and I probably had a fair amount of criticism on how I handled Koren, and all that. That’s old news. But right now, I think, whether it’s Koren or anybody else who can come in and help the football team and can contribute, I think you have talk about it. At the very least, talk about it. And that’s what we did.”

Robinson actually made it to the Pro Bowl in 2005, as a kick-returner with the Vikings. And he was poised to compete for the No. 1 wideout position in 2006, before leading cops on a high-speed chase. While drunk.

Robinson eventually received a one-year suspension, but hasn’t caused any trouble since being reinstated. Given the Seahawks’ struggles, it would be hard to criticize the Seahawks for giving the guy yet another second chance. http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/09/14/seahawks-resist-koren-temptation/