PDA

View Full Version : Grant no sure thing

bobblehead
09-12-2008, 10:20 AM
Very frustrated at this point. Jsonline is saying he may miss the game. This is why I hate paying guys who really haven't proven anything yet. I know he is the best we got, but geez it pisses me off.

mraynrand
09-12-2008, 10:22 AM
Very frustrated at this point. Jsonline is saying he may miss the game. This is why I hate paying guys who really haven't proven anything yet. I know he is the best we got, but geez it pisses me off.

There's a big difference between being unproven and being injured.

HarveyWallbangers
09-12-2008, 10:23 AM

Maybe if they had paid him sooner, he wouldn't be hurt.

packers11
09-12-2008, 10:32 AM
they should do a study with holdouts and injuries... I swear every year a couple players that don't take part of training camp because of contracts end up getting hurt in some way...

PackerTimer
09-12-2008, 10:42 AM
This might not be a bad game for him to miss. The Lions defense is really bad.

KYPack
09-12-2008, 10:43 AM
It's called "holdout hamstring". There's some intangibles to training. You have to work in practice and get in hitting shape. The holdouts rush their training and tweak something by hitting befroe they are ready.

It's happening to Grant. He'll have this all year now.

ahaha
09-12-2008, 11:16 AM
B-Jack had his best game, last year, against Detroit. 20 carries for 113 yards. This is about the best game to let Grant rest. Detroit's run defense might be the worst in the NFL.

bobblehead
09-12-2008, 11:34 AM
It's called "holdout hamstring". There's some intangibles to training. You have to work in practice and get in hitting shape. The holdouts rush their training and tweak something by hitting befroe they are ready.

It's happening to Grant. He'll have this all year now.

Or if you are dorsey levens is "holdout broken leg".

I know shit happens, but again, the guy was out of line to hold out after all of a half of a season. Now tell me rats..if lumpy comes on and is stellar this season while grant is hurt do we give him a huge deal since he wasn't good enough to get drafted or do we credit our offensive line a little bit?

Harlan Huckleby
09-12-2008, 12:12 PM

good point

Harlan Huckleby
09-12-2008, 12:14 PM
B-Jack had his best game, last year, against Detroit. 20 carries for 113 yards. This is about the best game to let Grant rest. Detroit's run defense might be the worst in the NFL.

I've already jumped on the trash-BJ bandwagon. Guess it is a residue of his poor rookie season, or at least a frustrating rookie season.

I'm glad to give BJ a real test and fresh start. And I'm fickle as hell, I'll jump back on the go-BJ bandwagon with a couple decent runs.

texaspackerbacker
09-12-2008, 12:17 PM
There was no indication that he had a setback in the Vikings game. If he doesn't play or doesn't play much against the Lions, it would be more an indication that he isn't needed so much.

I think the whole thing, though is JSOnline media types talking out their ass, as they so often do. I really doubt McCarthy or Grant told them anything privately that the public doesn't know.

HarveyWallbangers
09-12-2008, 12:17 PM
Or if you are dorsey levens is "holdout broken leg".

I know shit happens, but again, the guy was out of line to hold out after all of a half of a season. Now tell me rats..if lumpy comes on and is stellar this season while grant is hurt do we give him a huge deal since he wasn't good enough to get drafted or do we credit our offensive line a little bit?

I doubt this hamstring issue will stay with him his entire career. Levens broken his leg. That's a lot more serious. Let's not forget that Dorsey was 28 or 29 when he broke his leg. Grant has youth on his side.

I don't think this means he is destined to be somebody that doesn't live up to his deal. If I were him, I would have held out too. If he had taken the one year deal and he got a hamstring injury, he would have lost a lot of money. This is precisely the reason he held out.

MadtownPacker
09-12-2008, 12:27 PM

Maybe if he had just came in and signed and stayed in shape and likely STILL got the damn contract (no way TT caved in just because Grant was trying to hold out, he planned on giving it to him based on what we know about TT's way of doing business) he wouldn't have this problem!!

I knew this crap would happen and I am very disgusted with Grant.

texaspackerbacker
09-12-2008, 12:32 PM
Hey Bobblehead, check your fantasy team. I proposed a trade to you, in case you're worried about Grant.

Terrell Owens and Warrick Dunn for Grant and Donald Driver.

Sorry about not posting this in the Fantasy Forum. I figured it would get noticed better here.

sheepshead
09-12-2008, 12:42 PM

This is a forehead slapper my Packer Brother. He's still human.

Lurker64
09-12-2008, 01:01 PM
Well, last year Jackson was able to run effectively against the Lions. Provided he still can or Lumpkin can, no need to risk injuring Grant. Still, this whole mess was pretty stupid on Grant's behalf, hopefully he learns from it.

sheepshead
09-12-2008, 01:21 PM
Well, last year Jackson was able to run effectively against the Lions. Provided he still can or Lumpkin can, no need to risk injuring Grant. Still, this whole mess was pretty stupid on Grant's behalf, hopefully he learns from it.

What did he do?

Lurker64
09-12-2008, 01:25 PM

What did he do?

He should have signed the tender with assurances from the Packers that they would finish up his deal during camp. He was going to play for the Packers this year anyway, he didn't gain anything from not practicing.

Tarlam!
09-12-2008, 01:30 PM
I really doubt McCarthy or Grant told them anything privately that the public doesn't know.

McCarthy said he was injured, Tex. The God Damned leftist media just reported it. Actually, the Packers.com page has an M3 interview where he clearly states it.

sheepshead
09-12-2008, 01:32 PM

What did he do?

He should have signed the tender with assurances from the Packers that they would finish up his deal during camp. He was going to play for the Packers this year anyway, he didn't gain anything from not practicing.

Well, none of us can be sure it had any effect on this injury. Hey, it's football-guys get banged up.

bobblehead
09-12-2008, 01:42 PM
Hey Bobblehead, check your fantasy team. I proposed a trade to you, in case you're worried about Grant.

Sorry about not posting this in the Fantasy Forum. I figured it would get noticed better here.

I wouldn't take TO for free....I gotta enjoy my team, its why I picked grant and driver.

bobblehead
09-12-2008, 01:43 PM

What did he do?

Well, none of us can be sure it had any effect on this injury. Hey, it's football-guys get banged up.

Just another quirky coincidence, guys hold out, and get hurt after minimal practice time. That and democrat mayors.

sheepshead
09-12-2008, 01:51 PM
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/injuries

Patler
09-12-2008, 02:05 PM
I don't think Grant's contract situation has much to do with his injury. He did not miss much of training camp at all due to his contract. Only a few days.

Camp started July 28.
Grant signed August 2.

It was reported that he attended all the off-season conditioning things. All that he "skipped" was the on-field OTA stuff that really has nothing to do with conditioning. He even attended those, but did not participate.

Maybe Grant tried too hard to show that he deserved his contract. Maybe he just has problem hamstrings. Didn't he have a little hamstring issue last year when he came from the Giants?

His contract has a lot of protection for the Packers. The guaranteed money is minimal. If he remains injured, he will not achieve the various incentives. The Packers have little at risk in the contract.

Dabaddestbear
09-12-2008, 03:34 PM
Well the way the Lions defense looked trying to stop the run last week, I think you guys could a 4th stringer in there and still gain impressive yards. :roll:

Scott Campbell
09-12-2008, 03:37 PM
Well the way the Lions defense looked trying to stop the run last week, I think you guys could a 4th stringer in there and still gain impressive yards. :roll:

I've heard everyone gushing about all week Forte. How did the Bears passing game look last week?

I didn't see the game.

pack4to84
09-12-2008, 03:49 PM

I've heard everyone gushing about all week Forte. How did the Bears passing game look last week?

I didn't see the game.Didn't need it with Forte running all over Colts D

boiga
09-12-2008, 03:51 PM

I didn't see the game.
Orton was 13/21 for 150 yrds. He had 7.1 yards/attempt and was sacked twice. He didn't attempt a single long ball and was mainly tasked with handing the ball off to Forte. Orton did a good job not screwing up, but he didn't show anything that would suggest he can win the game for them.

Noodle
09-12-2008, 04:06 PM
God it's good to have Patler back!

I did some research, and it looks like Grant had a hamstring injury his senior year at Notre Dame, which cost him his starting job. I couldn't find anything about a hammy while with the Giants, just the hand injury he suffered (which nearly caused him to bleed to death).

But Patler was right that he has suffered from something like this before. He's shown the capacity to heal up, and he's without question a tough cookie, so I think he'll be fine.

This strikes me as another instance of MM being "smart" with his players, which just makes sense in Week 2 against the friggin Lions.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-12-2008, 04:14 PM
I posted about Hammies a long time ago.

There is very little correlation between training and hurting them. They are a freak occurence...some players get them while others don't.

HarveyWallbangers
09-12-2008, 04:43 PM
RB Ryan Grant (hamstring) participated fully in practice on Friday, increasing the chances he'll play on Sunday against the Detroit Lions.

The team will, however, closely watch how he recovers on Saturday.

Patler
09-12-2008, 04:47 PM
God it's good to have Patler back!

I did some research, and it looks like Grant had a hamstring injury his senior year at Notre Dame, which cost him his starting job. I couldn't find anything about a hammy while with the Giants, just the hand injury he suffered (which nearly caused him to bleed to death).

But Patler was right that he has suffered from something like this before. He's shown the capacity to heal up, and he's without question a tough cookie, so I think he'll be fine.

This strikes me as another instance of MM being "smart" with his players, which just makes sense in Week 2 against the friggin Lions.

Thanks Noodle and others. Good to be back.
Grant did have a hamstring issue early last year, too. I found this in the transcript of MM's 9/5 press conference last year:

I'll start off with the injury report. Mike Montgomery is listed as out. Donald Driver, limited participation. Ryan Grant, limited participation because of a hamstring. Brandon Jackson, limited participation because of a concussion. Tony Moll, neck, limited participation. Vernand Morency, limited participation with a knee. Aaron Rouse with his hamstring, limited participation.

He was listed as questionable for the 1st game, was active, but did not play

Joemailman
09-12-2008, 04:51 PM

I've already jumped on the trash-BJ bandwagon. Guess it is a residue of his poor rookie season, or at least a frustrating rookie season.

I'm glad to give BJ a real test and fresh start. And I'm fickle as hell, I'll jump back on the go-BJ bandwagon with a couple decent runs.

People are being too quick to dismiss Jackson. He was running against the toughest run defense in the league Monday night. It's not like Grant was getting consistent yardage. He had 76 of his 92 yards on 2 runs. The rest of the night he averaged a little over a yard per carry.

HarveyWallbangers
09-12-2008, 05:29 PM
I'm not a fan of Jackson because of how he runs--not what his stats were. He can break tackle and is pretty good in space, but there is a huge difference between Grant getting the ball, taking one cut, and hitting the hole and Jackson.

This coming from a guy who liked the Jackson selection when we drafted him.

sepporepi
09-12-2008, 05:59 PM
He was going to play for the Packers this year anyway, he didn't gain anything from not practicing

I think he did. Had he praticed and substained a career ending injury he would have gotten nothing. Now he has at least 2M or whatever was the signing bonus.

texaspackerbacker
09-12-2008, 08:31 PM

I wouldn't take TO for free....I gotta enjoy my team, its why I picked grant and driver.

Good for you. I've got Grant and Driver on a ton of my other teams anyway. I just thought maybe you had buyer's remorse about drafting Grant. Glad to see you don't.

Partial
09-12-2008, 09:40 PM
Sit him. Save him for Dallas.

pbmax
09-12-2008, 10:26 PM
Patler returns and the next five posts are logical and friendly. All is well.

Its easy to remember the holdouts gone bad (I still cannot rationally discuss Holmgren continually sending an exhausted Levens into the line after the game was in hand in 1998). You forget the holdouts that remain healthy. You expect the holdout to get hurt and when one does, it reinforces your theory, even though you do not know it to happen with any greater frequency.

That injury list posted earlier has 28 hamstring injuries. And I count one holdout in the list. What does worry me is that this is Jackson's second go around with a concussion. While I doubt the label injury prone in most cases, concussions are one injury that one does become more susceptible to after each occurrence, unless they are quite far apart.

Has anyone noticed if he is wearing the newer helmet?

pbmax
09-12-2008, 10:33 PM
Oh and Grant's case illustrates exactly why you might hold out. The Packers could have cut him without the new contract and owed him nothing but training camp money without a new deal. If they resigned him after the first game, his salary for the season would not have been guaranteed. With a four-five day holdout, he knows he will likely see $8 million coming his way. Clearly it was the smart move.

There is no guarantee that the Packers would have promised him anything other than their current offer on the table if he singed the exclusive rights tender and reported.

bobblehead
09-13-2008, 05:49 PM
Patler returns and the next five posts are logical and friendly. All is well.

shut up, who asked you anyway? j/k

SnakeLH2006
09-13-2008, 10:25 PM

The hell with that. Let's be the 2nd consecutive NFL team to set team records in rushing yards in a game vs. our divison rival (although rival infers competiviness, lol). Grant 145, BJack 85, Lumpy 70, Rodgers 40, Ryan 35 (oops...). :shock: