PDA

View Full Version : LASIK - Anyone have it done before???

Fosco33
06-20-2006, 07:10 PM
So, just ran out of contacts and went for an eye exam. I've considered LASIK surgery for a long time (I invested in VISX when I was 12 so I figured it'd be free someday ;-). I got the Dr. to commit that he'd perform the procedure himself (that's all he does) and verified his success rate (97%). I also got him to knock off 10% - just by asking - so it be $3800 for both eyes in the custom waveform procedure (why go cheap - it's your fricken eyes!)

Anyone have it done before? Good/bad/ugly

Thx!

Mazzin
06-20-2006, 07:34 PM
Fosco my mother got it about 2 years ago...other than the patches over the eyes for the first couple days, no bad side affects.

No infections, no problems, no nothing, and she has the eyes of a HAWK now!

From her standpoint and me seeing how well it worked for her i would definatly go with a BIG yes!

pacfan
06-20-2006, 09:16 PM
I know of two people from my workplace that have had the surgery. Both are success stories.

One took two days off from work and was back at full steam shortly thereafter.

The other wore patches for a almost a week.

Both had zero problems and they follow-up with their respective doctors regularly.

They both swear by it. I would have the procedure done, but I have a cataract in my right eye. The doc says I have to wait, I'm hoping I can get it (them) done in December.

oregonpackfan
06-20-2006, 09:52 PM
My wife had the Lasik surgery half a dozen years ago. It was a complete success. She had no side effects whatsoever.

Her only regret is that she did not have it done sooner!

Badgepack
06-21-2006, 08:14 AM
I had the procedure done about a year ago. No problems what so ever. I was driving the next day. Never had to wear a patch, only sunglasses/goggles for a few days. Best money I ever spent.

SkinBasket
06-21-2006, 10:09 AM
My dad, brother, and wife have all had it done, and it worked like a charm. Using the waveform crap or whatever is the way to go. Like you said, you're spending more, but they're your fucking eyes. Plan on sleeping for 18-24 hours afterward - that's what they want you to do. But after that, none of them had any problems, except for talking incessantly about how fucking good they can see now. "Ohhh, I can see the time!" "Ahhh, I know what that street sign says!" "Weeee! I never knew it was that big!" blah blah blah.

Harlan Huckleby
06-21-2006, 10:11 AM
I had a circumcision performed using Lasik surgery. It was totally painless, just a slight tingling sensation. Odd thing was, I didn't need my reading glasses afterwards.

Fosco33
06-21-2006, 12:07 PM
Sweet - I know the success rates and the risks but it makes me feel better when they're actually people - not numbers.

I think I'll get it done, no Harlan, not the circumcision - had that taken care of when I was like 3 months old :lol:

Tony Oday
06-21-2006, 12:54 PM
So can you get your vision insurance to help pay?

Fosco33
02-29-2008, 05:18 PM
Well, I got Lasik done this morning. A little pain and tearing still - and a few red blotches (broken blood vessels) in the eye - but no and the procedure was pretty painless.

I sure hope it all ends up well.

Scott Campbell
02-29-2008, 05:26 PM
Most people I know get this done outpatient - done the same day. Why did yours take over a year and a half?

Harlan Huckleby
02-29-2008, 05:27 PM
A little pain and tearing still - and a few red blotches (broken blood vessels) in the eye - but no and the procedure was pretty painless.

sounds like my wedding night :rs:

GoPackGo
02-29-2008, 05:32 PM
Well, I got Lasik done this morning. A little pain and tearing still - and a few red blotches (broken blood vessels) in the eye - but no and the procedure was pretty painless.

I'm sure looking at a computer screen will help it heal

GoPackGo
02-29-2008, 05:33 PM
A little pain and tearing still - and a few red blotches (broken blood vessels)- but no and the procedure was pretty painless.

sounds like my wedding night :rs:

So you saved it for marriage and tore your vagina on your wedding night?

oregonpackfan
02-29-2008, 08:20 PM

Let us know about your new "Perspective on the world" Fosco.

There is about a 99.9% chance you will have no complications. I trust things will turn out well for you.

Fosco33
02-29-2008, 11:29 PM
Most people I know get this done outpatient - done the same day. Why did yours take over a year and a half?

Waited for the contacts to run out and money to go into the flex spending account (pre-tax dollars and really an interest free loan)...

Scott Campbell
03-01-2008, 08:09 AM

Waited for the contacts to run out and money to go into the flex spending account (pre-tax dollars and really an interest free loan)...

Ahhh, smart man. Instead of letting Harlan steal your tax money, you used it to pay for improving your eyesight. I LIKE IT!

GrnBay007
03-01-2008, 11:40 AM

Ahhh, smart man. Instead of letting Harlan steal your tax money, you used it to pay for improving your eyesight. I LIKE IT!

I love the flex spending and have used it for several years. Have to be careful how much you designate for it though. The first year I used it I estimated too high and lost the leftover money. Has worked great since learning that lesson.

MJZiggy
03-01-2008, 12:14 PM
I didn't know that there is a separate flex spending account just for child care. That was kinda cool. And I think I may have forgotten to sign up for it. HR and IT are really gonna start hating me.

GrnBay007
03-01-2008, 12:19 PM
I didn't know that there is a separate flex spending account just for child care. That was kinda cool. And I think I may have forgotten to sign up for it. HR and IT are really gonna start hating me.

Check it out soon! At my place of employment you can only sign up once a year....unless there is a change (baby, divorce, etc) and of course when you start the job.

MJZiggy
03-01-2008, 12:36 PM
I have so much work stuff swimming through my head this weekend, I put a pad of paper on my desk so I could write stuff down instead of thinking about it all weekend. This item has been added to the list. The funny thing was that I saw a form for the child care flex spending, but didn't see one for the regular flex spending. (adding to list...)

GrnBay007
03-01-2008, 12:52 PM
If they have one for child care they probably have one for medical expenses. Just remember, you don't get back what you don't spend, so it's better to error on the lower side until you have a better idea.

Fosco33
03-01-2008, 01:57 PM
I can do dependent (wife) or child flex spending - I'll use it for deductibles and prescriptions for them going forward....

24 hours later - went to eye doctor and he was surprised that I'm doing so well (he said 20-40 was expected; i was 20-15 and 20-20 with 'plano' vision too). Takes 3-6 months for it to settle out but first observations look pretty damn good (heck, I drove myself to the appointment).