PDA

View Full Version : Charles Woodson (toe) will be a game-time decision

packers11
09-12-2008, 04:23 PM
www.rotoworld.com

Packers CB Charles Woodson (toe) will be a game-time decision in Week 2.

"At this point, he's 50-50," a source told MLive.com's Tom Kowalski. Roy Williams could benefit from Woodson being out of the lineup. Tramon Williams would draw the start if Woodson sits out against Detroit.

Source: MLive.com

arcilite
09-12-2008, 04:36 PM
Pat Lee was inactive against the Vikes right?

Maybe he will get a chance this week.

I've heard almost nothing about him during pre-season.

I almost forgot we did spend a 2d round pick on him

Pacopete4
09-12-2008, 04:41 PM
its weird cuz I thought he looked pretty good when I saw him in the preseason games.. Pat Lee that is

boiga
09-12-2008, 04:51 PM
M3 said in his press conference that Wood was still trying to get some swelling down. They aren't worried about him missing practice, though, and if he feels up to it an hour before game time, then he'll play.

Also, Blackmon would be the nickle if Wood is out. M3 said that he had a good week and practice. Bush will probably perform dime if necessary. The guy's still too raw. He's got the speed and talent but has a lot to learn before he is ready for this level.

falco
09-12-2008, 04:58 PM
woodson better be careful, he may be the nickel back when he gets healthy

not that big of a drop off from him to t-will, but the nickel spot will be weak

packers11
09-12-2008, 05:00 PM

I hope your being sarcastic... Woodson is 10x better than T-Will...

In my opinion Woodson is better than Harris...

Harlan Huckleby
09-12-2008, 06:55 PM
i think harris making the pro bowl last year rather than woodson was ridiculous.

boiga
09-12-2008, 07:34 PM
i think harris making the pro bowl last year rather than woodson was ridiculous. I disagree. The difference is that last year, opposing offenses had to scheme around Harris. He'd line up against the opposing team's number one receiver no matter where they were on the field, and he consistently took that receiver out of the game.

According to Football Outsiders, the Packers were 3rd in the league against other teams #1 receivers last year. That was ALL Harris. He was on an island with those guys and consistently made his presence felt.

Woodson had flashier numbers though because opposing offenses sent more his way to avoid Harris. He also spends more time in the slot out of preference and had better opportunities to interrupt short passes. So, his more opportunities for interceptions led to more interceptions. Also, Al has a bad reputation for being dirty, so the refs pick on him a bit (1st PI call on monday.) If he hadn't been robbed on that "forward progress" call last year in Dallas, we'd have had a shot at winning that game and his detractors would be many fewer.

C-Wood's great and all, but Al is the better bump and run corner.

mmmdk
09-12-2008, 10:10 PM
...this is the time for me to go toe to toe with Woody... :lol: Shoot, I hope Woodson returns sooner rather than later.

Partial
09-12-2008, 10:22 PM
Sit him. Need him for Dallas.

Tony Oday
09-12-2008, 10:54 PM
Sit him against a Team that has two of the best WR in the game? Ah please no. Harris can take TO and they dont have a good 3rd WR in Dallas.

Partial
09-12-2008, 10:56 PM
Do you not remember TO racking up what, a buck 150 against us last time we played them without Chuck? Please MM rest Chuck and Grant!

BallHawk
09-12-2008, 10:58 PM
Sit him against a Team that has two of the best WR in the game? Ah please no. Harris can take TO and they dont have a good 3rd WR in Dallas.

Harris is going to need help with T.O. 7 catches for 156 yards and a TD indicates that Harris will need more help this time.

And somebody's gonna have to cover Patrick Crayton.

Tarlam!
09-12-2008, 11:00 PM
Harris can take TO and they dont have a good 3rd WR in Dallas.

Yeah, just like Harris took TO last year.

@ Boiga - good point about Harris being roibbed in the championship game.

Partial
09-12-2008, 11:03 PM

I respectfully disagree that Al followed the #1 all the time. Not as much as the year before.

Also, you can't bump TO. He's way too big. He'll burn you.

Lurker64
09-12-2008, 11:11 PM
Sit him. Need him for Dallas.

Really, beating Detroit is more important than beating Dallas.

Partial
09-12-2008, 11:12 PM
I respectfully disagree with you.[/i]

Lurker64
09-12-2008, 11:14 PM

"Wins in division" > "Wins in conference" for tiebreakers. Doesn't matter if we have the head to head tiebreak against Dallas if the Vikings win the division.

boiga
09-12-2008, 11:25 PM

I respectfully disagree that Al followed the #1 all the time. Not as much as the year before.

Also, you can't bump TO. He's way too big. He'll burn you. You can, and Al did a couple of times. In that last Dallas game he put TO on his ass once while he waited too long at the line. And like I said, if that "forward motion" fumble had been called properly, people would remember that game differently.

The Dallas offensive scheme did admittedly work around Harris' strengths. They used more stop-fade routes which are hard to defend against. They put TO in motion to make it more difficult for Al to slow him at the line. They knew that Al wouldn't have any safety help because of our lack of experience on the other side with Woodson gone. Al's only one guy, but he did his part that game. They successfully schemed around him.

But heck, even Cowboys know he's the man. Check this quote 3irty1 posted last week:

"When I was in college, I used to look at [Charles] Woodson and Deion [Sanders] and Darrell Green and guys like that," Newman said. "You always look at Al Harris because he's the best press corner in the game right now. You take little bits and pieces of all their games and use what they have to make you better."

Newman, who enters his sixth NFL season, was impressed at how Sanders used his speed to catch up to receivers who got some distance on him. Newman watched as Harris used his hands to hold off receivers in man-to-man coverage.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/cowboys/stories/090408dnsponewmanlede.1f9bda5.html

You guys seriously don't give Al the respect he merits.

BobDobbs
09-13-2008, 01:59 AM
I think Harris was a little too juiced for the Dallas game last year. Both him and Favre were playing a little out of their skulls that game. If he settles in a little more and plays the game and not the man I think he'll have a better game against TO.
As far as I can tell the Packers still try to put him on whoever they feel is the most dangerous(in the Lions case Roy Williams). Which corner is more important to the defense is a pretty good debate. I'd go with Harris for all the one on one against the number one. But I can't discount Woodson's superior play making ability or run support.

One other thing. I hope Pat Lee does not see the field. From what I saw in the preseason he is lost out there. The physicality is there, but he can't cover NFL receivers yet.

cpk1994
09-13-2008, 05:08 AM
Pat Lee was inactive against the Vikes right?

Maybe he will get a chance this week.

I've heard almost nothing about him during pre-season.

I almost forgot we did spend a 2d round pick on himPat Lee was a 3rd round pick.

EDIT: Nope, I m wrong. He is a second.

falco
09-13-2008, 08:53 AM
a week ago i would have said Woodson > T-Will > Harris

Harris looked back to form last week - if he can keep that up I would say he has a slight edge over T-Will

Woodson is still our best corner IMO

T-Will would be starting on at least 1/2 if not more of the teams out there

Partial
09-13-2008, 10:32 AM

"Wins in division" > "Wins in conference" for tiebreakers. Doesn't matter if we have the head to head tiebreak against Dallas if the Vikings win the division.

I agree, and thats good and nice, but I have a hunch we're competing with Dallas again for the #1 spot. We're going to mop the floor with Detroit. I'm not at all worried about that game.

Scott Campbell
09-13-2008, 10:46 AM
We're going to mop the floor with Detroit. I'm not at all worried about that game.

You are going to jinx us with that kind of talk.

Tony Oday
09-13-2008, 11:43 AM
Last year we didnt play man in Dallas. This year put Al of TO and have a saftey on cloud coverage and it will work.

vince
09-13-2008, 12:09 PM
I have a hunch we're competing with Dallas again for the #1 spot. We're going to mop the floor with Detroit. I'm not at all worried about that game.
This amazes me. It sure didn't take long to dive head first back on the bandwagon. Just three weeks ago, hot off your Thompson bashing spree, you were predicting 6-10 because he so foolishly held our star to a team standard and placed confidence in an inexperienced but team-oriented QB.

Maybe football really is a team game after all.

pbmax
09-13-2008, 01:14 PM
Here is what we should do. Tap the wisdom of the crowd. Ever hear the theory that while individuals will make wild and unpredictable guesses about events they witness, that taken as a whole and averaged, the guesses form a curve and the median numbers are usually close to the actual answer?

Easiest example is the "Guess how many gumballs in the jar" carnival game. If you have enough people guessing, the average of their guesses usually gets close, often closer than the winning guess.

So some enterprising soul should go back and average the Rats picks for a season ending record. If I had been smart, I would have done this prior to the season and bet the farm. This individual may not be that smart.

Partial
09-13-2008, 01:14 PM
I have a hunch we're competing with Dallas again for the #1 spot. We're going to mop the floor with Detroit. I'm not at all worried about that game.
This amazes me. It sure didn't take long to dive head first back on the bandwagon. Just three weeks ago, hot off your Thompson bashing spree, you were predicting 6-10 because he so foolishly held our star to a team standard and placed confidence in an inexperienced but team-oriented QB.

Maybe football really is a team game after all.

I changed it to 8-8 or 9-7. Don't remember which. We look pretty good so far. Dallas plays in the big nasty NFC east. My guess is they drop 5-6 games this year as well. It'll be close. We've got the benefits of a very easy division. Minnesota would be 5th in the NFC East!!!!!

bobblehead
09-13-2008, 01:15 PM
i think harris making the pro bowl last year rather than woodson was ridiculous. I disagree. The difference is that last year, opposing offenses had to scheme around Harris. He'd line up against the opposing team's number one receiver no matter where they were on the field, and he consistently took that receiver out of the game.

According to Football Outsiders, the Packers were 3rd in the league against other teams #1 receivers last year. That was ALL Harris. He was on an island with those guys and consistently made his presence felt.

Woodson had flashier numbers though because opposing offenses sent more his way to avoid Harris. He also spends more time in the slot out of preference and had better opportunities to interrupt short passes. So, his more opportunities for interceptions led to more interceptions. Also, Al has a bad reputation for being dirty, so the refs pick on him a bit (1st PI call on monday.) If he hadn't been robbed on that "forward progress" call last year in Dallas, we'd have had a shot at winning that game and his detractors would be many fewer.

QFT...fantastic post.

Partial
09-13-2008, 01:18 PM
It's a well thought out post. We need more of that around here! I disagree with it, though. But thats what makes a forum great.

bobblehead
09-13-2008, 01:22 PM
My personal opinion is that against dallas we should have al take crayton out of the game and double TO with woodson and a safety. Al gets to cranked by TO and doesn't play his best, but he would own crayton allowing a comfortable double team.

RashanGary
09-14-2008, 08:09 AM
"Where is the commitment from the team to the vets who have been committed? Going with an essentially rookie quarterback who is extremely unproven over a guy who was selected by knowledgeable journalists (read: not your average Rodgers supporter here) to be the second best player in the NFL last year.

Respect and commitment are a two way street, and while Chad Clifton may have been extremely committed all off-season where is the team's commitment to his desire to win and reward for his commitment and hard work? What a joke."

This was a randomly selected quote from Partial (I'm sure there are dozens of doom and gloomers based on losing Brett). Funny how the team goes from a "joke" that is not committed to winning to one of the NFC's best.

EDIT: haha, I just caught it, but this post is complete with a "Rodgers supporter" blast. Too ironic.

packers11
09-14-2008, 08:21 PM

I hope your being sarcastic... Woodson is 10x better than T-Will...

In my opinion Woodson is better than Harris...

Still have the same opinion???

T-Will better watch his back at the #3 spot...

Partial
09-14-2008, 08:59 PM
"Where is the commitment from the team to the vets who have been committed? Going with an essentially rookie quarterback who is extremely unproven over a guy who was selected by knowledgeable journalists (read: not your average Rodgers supporter here) to be the second best player in the NFL last year.

Respect and commitment are a two way street, and while Chad Clifton may have been extremely committed all off-season where is the team's commitment to his desire to win and reward for his commitment and hard work? What a joke."

This was a randomly selected quote from Partial (I'm sure there are dozens of doom and gloomers based on losing Brett). Funny how the team goes from a "joke" that is not committed to winning to one of the NFC's best.

EDIT: haha, I just caught it, but this post is complete with a "Rodgers supporter" blast. Too ironic.

It's not even worth it, but I will. Where did I claim they'd be a bad team in that post? Where did I say anything about Rodgers? Rodgers has played very well so far, but that does not negate the risk factor in going with an unproven commodity versus a known commodity.

What is ironic at all? The difference between you and me is I'm not a cock to people and like to rub it in their faces. Let's not forget how great Vernon Davis is, or how about Neon Hawkins. Quit the bullshit.

Chevelle2
09-14-2008, 09:01 PM

It's not even worth it, but I will. Where did I claim they'd be a bad team in that post? Where did I say anything about Rodgers? Rodgers has played very well so far, but that does not negate the risk factor in going with an unproven commodity versus a known commodity.

What is ironic at all? The difference between you and me is I'm not a cock to people and like to rub it in their faces. Let's not forget how great Vernon Davis is, or how about Neon Hawkins. Quit the bullshit.

A known quantity isnt always better than an unknown quantity.

By that logic David Carr > Rodgers.

Color me old fashioned, but I kind of like not having interceptions where our QB just "didn't see the safety over the top"

Lurker64
09-14-2008, 09:04 PM
Color me old fashioned, but I'd like to see a lot less finger pointing, recrimination, selective quoting, and general "I told you so" shenanigans.

If you want to thumb your nose at Packer doubters, kindly do so at people who are not also Packer fans. I'm sure there are some professional journalists who said some silly things claiming this team would be terrible out of the gate with Rodgers who really won't mind if you bring up their error on a Packer board.

Partial
09-14-2008, 09:07 PM

A known quantity isnt always better than an unknown quantity.

By that logic David Carr > Rodgers.

Color me old fashioned, but I kind of like not having interceptions where our QB just "didn't see the safety over the top"

Oye..

Seriously. This is getting old. Brett Favre isn't David Carr. No one said he is. Rodgers may be even better than Favre in time. Who knows. The point is. When you've got a really good quarterback, do you need to make a switch to someone else? That is what my post discusses. Please cut the irrelevant bullshit out. You're wasting my time.

Favre played lights old against the vikings and the lions last year. Posted a 145 and 115 rating. Similiar to Rodgers. Again.. relevance.. Get this outta here.

Kiwon
09-14-2008, 10:12 PM
Woodson needs to play hurt every week.

Gambled on the Lions' TD play but also had 2 picks. Great game.