PDA

View Full Version : Favre praises Rodgers first start

Brando19
09-12-2008, 09:38 PM
http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/09/12/favre-praises-rodgers-start.aspx

I love the quote "He learned from me...and thats's good and bad."

DonHutson
09-13-2008, 01:40 PM
Brett didn't exactly go out of his way to help Rodgers while he was here, but now that Aaron's playing well Favre taught him everything he knows?

I hope there's more to that interview than that.

vince
09-13-2008, 02:00 PM
Brett didn't exactly go out of his way to help Rodgers while he was here, but now that Aaron's playing well Favre taught him everything he knows?

I hope there's more to that interview than that.
QFT - Favre taking credit for Rodgers' success... nice.

boiga
09-13-2008, 02:47 PM
Oh get over it. If Rodgers really does develop into a world class talent, favre will and should get some of the credit.

Rodgers has stated repeatedly how much effort he put in trying to absorb everything that Brett did. He shadowed him constantly until Brett opened up and started seeing him as a peer. He learned which "Favre-esque" moments should be emulated and which should be avoided. So when he makes a pin-point pass under pressure to the third option on a goal line pass, we have Favre to thank. And when he decides to throw a ball away rather than make a boneheaded pass into triple coverage, well he learned from Brett's mistakes too.

Favre made Rodgers a better QB, and no matter his recent behavior, we owe him one for that.

falco
09-13-2008, 02:58 PM
Oh get over it. If Rodgers really does develop into a world class talent, favre will and should get some of the credit.

Rodgers has stated repeatedly how much effort he put in trying to absorb everything that Brett did. He shadowed him constantly until Brett opened up and started seeing him as a peer. He learned which "Favre-esque" moments should be emulated and which should be avoided. So when he makes a pin-point pass under pressure to the third option on a goal line pass, we have Favre to thank. And when he decides to throw a ball away rather than make a boneheaded pass into triple coverage, well he learned from Brett's mistakes too.

Favre made Rodgers a better QB, and no matter his recent behavior, we owe him one for that.

so if favre sat behind joey harrington in detroit, and came out and played well, detroit fans would have to thank joey harrington for showing him what not to do?

sorry boiga, i disagree with your entire post wholeheartedly

boiga
09-13-2008, 03:29 PM
so if favre sat behind joey harrington in detroit, and came out and played well, detroit fans would have to thank joey harrington for showing him what not to do?

sorry boiga, i disagree with your entire post wholeheartedly That's fine.

My point is just that if Rodgers hadn't had time to learn behind a great quarterback, he'd be a much worse QB today. It's all to his credit that he used all the resources available to improve his game. But Favre, Clements, and McCarthy all deserve some respect for helping to mold a very raw QB coming out of college into the guy who played such a good game on Monday.

If A-Rod turns into probowl talent, Favre and the coaches should all be thanked for helping to make that happen.

Tarlam!
09-13-2008, 03:40 PM
Brett Favre went out of his way to diss A-Rod. I vividly remember him saying he isn't a coach, so the newb can't expect much help from Favre.

Even JH on this forum supported that coming from Favre.

If A-Rod learned from Favre, that's only because A-Rod had his eyes open. Favre certainly was only a passive teacher at very best.

MadtownPacker
09-13-2008, 03:48 PM
In an interview back when Rodgers was drafted Favre said it wasnt his job to teach ARod, it was ARod's to want to learn. From what has been said since then by both that is how it went down and eventually Favre did showed Rodgers what he was wanting to learn. When you watched games you would always see ARod around Favre and M3, even if it was just listening. I think Rodgers has already said that he learned alot of Favre so that questioned is answered.

What he does now is his credit.

Lurker64
09-13-2008, 03:53 PM
If we're going to give Favre credit for the development of Aaron Rodgers, he has to at least finish third in that race behind Mike McCarthy and Tom Clements. I mean, the coaches probably have something to do with the improvement and education of the young QB, right? I'm almost entirely confident that Favre has had much less of an impact on Rodgers than McCarthy has.

But Favre can legitimately claim to be the fourth most important person in the development of Aaron Rodgers as a quarterback after Rodgers himself, McCarthy, and Clements. I don't know how much glory that's worth though.

MJZiggy
09-13-2008, 04:12 PM
If we're going to give Favre credit for the development of Aaron Rodgers, he has to at least finish third in that race behind Mike McCarthy and Tom Clements. I mean, the coaches probably have something to do with the improvement and education of the young QB, right? I'm almost entirely confident that Favre has had much less of an impact on Rodgers than McCarthy has.

But Favre can legitimately claim to be the fourth most important person in the development of Aaron Rodgers as a quarterback after Rodgers himself, McCarthy, and Clements. I don't know how much glory that's worth though.

Maybe just for kicks, throw Joe Philbin in there somewhere too...

Lurker64
09-13-2008, 04:14 PM

Maybe just for kicks, throw Joe Philbin in there somewhere too...

Sure, Favre can be fifth. I'll be generous.

GrnBay007
09-13-2008, 04:19 PM

A voice of reason! :D

Rodgers gets the credit for learning... behind ANY QB with a winning record...it just happened to be Favre.

Good Gawd, maybe some should wait till the full interview is aired to find another reason to hate on Favre.

ahaha
09-13-2008, 04:20 PM
According to JS, Favre was asked to be more of a tutor to Rodgers last year. According to this article, Favre really "embraced" the idea.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=789605

Maybe Favre wasn't such an asshole, with Rodgers, as some like to think.

Terry
09-13-2008, 05:08 PM
Agreed. And not only that, but I think some people might be missing the humour a bit in that quote, ""He learned from me...and thats's good and bad."

I didn't take from it that Favre thought Rodgers learned everything from him. But mostly, I didn't think much of it at all, because it was out of context.

Remember those excerpts in which Favre was supposedly dissing Thompson. I wonder how many people read the entire transcript of that interview - it created a somewhat different impression when the whole thing was there.

Same thing with all those comments I heard about Favre being interviewed by Greta. Finally, I actually saw the entire interview - and it wasn't half so bad.

The best example of the whole thing was that clip of Reverend Wright that was repeated ad infinitum on all networks and on you tube. Only when I saw the entire sermon, or a major chunk of it, did I get what he was trying to say (if I can say that without prejudice as to one view or another). It wasn't at all the same as that impression created in the public mind. Well, when I see excerpts of Favre interviews like that, I always take it in relatively indifferently, because I know I'm not seeing the context.

He might have been joking, you know. Just because he said a pig is still a pig, lipstick or no lipstick, doesn't mean he was getting at Rodgers, for God's sake!

Harlan Huckleby
09-13-2008, 05:10 PM
Favre did two things to help Rodgers

1) He never got hurt, so Rodgers didn't get thrown out there before he was physically and mentally mature.

2) Favre retired right when Rodgers was ready to go

DonHutson
09-13-2008, 06:05 PM

Uh... kinda.

Lurker64
09-13-2008, 06:08 PM

Uh... kinda.

No kinda about it. Favre did retire in March, at the start of Rodger's fourth year in the league, with two years left on Rodgers's deal, and a full offseason to get Aaron ready. There's no arguing with that, and that did help Rodgers.

The problem was what he did later in the summer, which did not help Rodgers.

Harlan Huckleby
09-13-2008, 06:36 PM

Uh... kinda.

"kinda" was good enough for Ted :lol:

Brando19
09-13-2008, 08:29 PM
Since we're giving credit for Rodgers' development....let's go ahead and throw some toward Mike Sherman's way. :lol:

Scott Campbell
09-13-2008, 09:07 PM
Look at the way the sun just glistens off his helmet.

wpony
09-13-2008, 09:39 PM
I believe Brett did have a lot to do with Arods development but I also believe McMahon had alot to do with Bretts development I remember what he was like his first few yrs till Jim came to the Packers and the difference after he came it was amazing and Jim never touched the Field either if I remember correctly he just gave Brett the right attitude slowed him down and helped him develop.

SnakeLH2006
09-13-2008, 09:50 PM

A voice of reason! :D

Rodgers gets the credit for learning... behind ANY QB with a winning record...it just happened to be Favre.

Good Gawd, maybe some should wait till the full interview is aired to find another reason to hate on Favre.

Well, his indecision may have escalated WWII. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk7lFGuW7_s

boiga
09-13-2008, 10:24 PM
Look at the way the sun just glistens off his helmet. I love that quote. That was the best Joe Buck line ever.

SnakeLH2006
09-13-2008, 11:11 PM
Look at the way the sun just glistens off his helmet. I love that quote. That was the best Joe Buck line ever.

Someone needs to find/post that clip on Youtube...aka instant 1,000,000 views as some real good stuff there.

bobblehead
09-14-2008, 12:40 AM
This whole thread is garbage...QB's don't teach each other, almost never. they can all talk the nice talk, but coaches teach QB's. majik didn't teach brett, mcmahon didn't teach brett, holmgren did. If great QB's could take credit for their successors, talk to the successors of marino, elway, kelly, tarkenton, staubach, blah blah blah. Now in every case that a great QB develops I'll show you good natural tools and a great QB coach. MM deserves the credit for Arod, not favre or anyone else. On the other hand, lets see how jamarcus russell develops.

SnakeLH2006
09-14-2008, 01:03 AM
This whole thread is garbage...QB's don't teach each other, almost never. they can all talk the nice talk, but coaches teach QB's. majik didn't teach brett, mcmahon didn't teach brett, holmgren did. If great QB's could take credit for their successors, talk to the successors of marino, elway, kelly, tarkenton, staubach, blah blah blah. Now in every case that a great QB develops I'll show you good natural tools and a great QB coach. MM deserves the credit for Arod, not favre or anyone else. On the other hand, lets see how jamarcus russell develops.

BWAAHHAAHHHAAHHA. He's fucked.

http://moviesmedia.ign.com/movies/image/article/808/808742/the-dark-knight-20070727113649106-000.jpg