PDA

View Full Version : Jennings - What a Worry!

Tarlam!
09-12-2008, 11:54 PM
I might be strange, but I had Jennings pegged as a lifelong Packer. Now, I read this and I am worried:

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=794317

Jennings offered this cryptic remark: “Some of us already probably have been approached.”

The third-year player wouldn’t rule out signing an extension in 2008 but indicated that he preferred to wait, gambling on his performance against risk of injury.

“In retrospect, you’re not really playing for just this team,” Jennings said. “You’re also playing for the other 31 teams, making sure everybody sees you out there. It’s not just the Green Bay Packers in the NFL. There’s 31 other teams.”

Oh my....

boiga
09-13-2008, 12:04 AM
I'm not too worried yet. If anything, that means that Ted's already approached his agent about an extension and they are in negotiations right now. Jennings is probably just repeating what his agent told him to encourage a better deal.

I don't think Ted could manage to overpay him right now. If they put him in the top 15 best paid wide receivers now, it might be a major steal in the end.

arcilite
09-13-2008, 12:07 AM
No reason to worry.... we have allllll of this year and allllllll of next year with Greg.

And if we don't extend him then we can use the franchise tag.

HarveyWallbangers
09-13-2008, 12:11 AM
Adhering to a “pay as you go” philosophy, the Packers have used favorable cap situations to front-load numerous contracts. Of the 15 players atop their payroll with a contract beyond 2008, six actually have cap salaries that will decrease next year...

There’s little doubt that the Packers will reach late December with considerable cap space...

“The majority of guys, if you’re here you want to stay here,” cornerback Al Harris said. “I have a lot of respect for Ted as a businessman. I think he’ll sign the right people. I don’t know what his strategy is but he has a good formula.”

Lurker64
09-13-2008, 12:12 AM
I think Ted's going to make sure that the most important players get paid. Priorities #1 and #2 are Jennings and Pickett. They'll get it done. Jennings is likely just trying to make sure he gets a fair deal, but he's unlikely to take a paycut to play here.

Partial
09-13-2008, 12:15 AM
Ted's affinity for draft picks and his skill at getting producing players in lower rounds (one could debate his ability on the first day to this point :D ) will keep our roster loaded with talent and deep. I'm not super worried about free agency because Ted will find a way to make it work in my opinion. Hopefully he can find his defensive Greg Jennings and we'll be set. We need a super star on that side of the ball to compliment/replace Kampman as he grows older.

We would really be set if a corner breaks out and forces the coaching staff to take a good long and hard look at starting him next year. He's hoping its Twill.

Scott Campbell
09-13-2008, 12:16 AM
There are reasons we have all this cap space. Jennings is one of them.

Cleft Crusty
09-13-2008, 12:17 AM
Title of the article on the JS:

"Looknig ahead
Contracts to create numbers crunch"

Things have really slipped since Eric and I left.

gbpackfan
09-13-2008, 12:33 AM
Don't worry about Jennings. One way or another, he'll stay a Packer. Good teams like the Packers don't let franchise players get away................whoops....................I forgot about Favre. :P

Tarlam!
09-13-2008, 12:45 AM
I think I am worried about what Jennings had to say. He seems like he is going to wanna break the bank. that's how Cory Williams felt and we know how TT reacted to that!

I agree, we have him through next season, but, mark my words, he's gone after that.

BallHawk
09-13-2008, 12:48 AM
I think I am worried about what Jennings had to say. He seems like he is going to wanna break the bank. that's how Cory Williams felt and we know how TT reacted to that!

I agree, we have him through next season, but, mark my words, he's gone after that.

Hometown discounts are a way of the past, but I'd think that if Jennings is offered equal money in two places he'd stay in Green Bay.

And Ted would be crazy NOT to keep him in Green Bay.

Thus the chances of him staying as a Packer are high, IMO.

boiga
09-13-2008, 01:12 AM
Hometown discounts are a way of the past, but I'd think that if Jennings is offered equal money in two places he'd stay in Green Bay.

Thus the chances of him staying as a Packer are high, IMO. I see it slightly differently. Jennings can't even get another offer until 2010 (2012 if we have the uncapped year and the Packers use their franchise tag.) So, it is in both parties interests to tie Jennings into a long term deal to cement him as a franchise player. Otherwise, he'll have to wait up to four more years before he gets paid his market value and four years is a long time to risk injury for the hope of a big payoff.

So, I think we're going to see Jennings get a six year (or more) deal sometime soon with a lot of incentives attached. Jennings will get paid and we'll keep him as a franchise player.

Harlan Huckleby
09-13-2008, 01:33 AM
how many more yars can Driver play? I'd guess he'll retire after next season. Plenty of money available to lock-in Jennings

BallHawk
09-13-2008, 01:45 AM
how many more yars can Driver play? I'd guess he'll retire after next season. Plenty of money available to lock-in Jennings

It'd make sense, finish out his contract than retire. But it all depends how much he has left in the tank.

BobDobbs
09-13-2008, 01:47 AM
The gist that I got was that Jennings did not want to sign a contract this year, because he has two years left. He's going to blow up huge this year and raise his value tremendously.
After that who knows, maybe he wants to take a gamble and go for free agency, but as the article pointed out he could get screwed by injury or the CBA. This year we've just got to resign Tauscher and maybe Pickett if he's down. I think Tausch signed his last contract coming off an injury so he took a little less than market value in exchange for the security.
Maybe he'll want to get full value this time. I do know that everyone who has been complaining about us not signing a free agent fullback or big money wide receiver is going to see the benefits of a well managed cap over the next two years.

Pacopete4
09-13-2008, 03:34 AM
Don't worry about Jennings. One way or another, he'll stay a Packer. Good teams like the Packers don't let franchise players get away................whoops....................I forgot about Favre. :P

BOOOOOOOM SHAKALAKA!

LL2
09-13-2008, 07:42 AM

Thus the chances of him staying as a Packer are high, IMO. I see it slightly differently. Jennings can't even get another offer until 2010 (2012 if we have the uncapped year and the Packers use their franchise tag.) So, it is in both parties interests to tie Jennings into a long term deal to cement him as a franchise player. Otherwise, he'll have to wait up to four more years before he gets paid his market value and four years is a long time to risk injury for the hope of a big payoff.

So, I think we're going to see Jennings get a six year (or more) deal sometime soon with a lot of incentives attached. Jennings will get paid and we'll keep him as a franchise player.

I do not think the Packers use use the franshise tag with no CBA in place.

pbmax
09-13-2008, 10:37 AM
Two things about this article:

"I don’t know how many players are really aware of it,” said an executive in finance for an NFL team. “Jennings would be a perfect example. He’s thinking, ‘Man, I want to be a UFA and hit the market.’ But there’s going to be a ton of guys getting a $2.5 million RFA tag that won’t hit the market at all."

That is true ONLY if there is no CBA extension. And we won't know that until the Spring of 2009. This assertion, as written, is misleading. Mr. Team Executive has no idea if the extension gets done by then. There could also be a temporary extension to allow further negotiating, which might very well push back the FA window closer to camp.

"Then the players might go to a lockout. Who knows? If the thing gets shut down, all of a sudden someone’s played five years in the league and he really hasn’t gotten a payday. That’s where the players have incentives to do deals early."

Employees don't lockout, they strike. And if there is no CBA, they would likely not strike to protest management's enforcement of work conditions (new rules for contracts instead of a CBA), they would decertify again.

Scott Campbell
09-13-2008, 10:40 AM

BOOOOOOOM SHAKALAKA!

They didn't let him get away. They sent him packing.

swede
09-13-2008, 10:55 AM

June 4th, 2022

Greg Jennings Traded to Oklahoma Cyclones

...end of a 17 year career in Green Bay...

"I wasn't feeling the love anymore..."

...to be reunited with 55 year old Favre who says he may be in his last season...

Scott Campbell
09-13-2008, 11:06 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

BallHawk
09-13-2008, 11:15 AM
June 4th, 2022

Greg Jennings Traded to Oklahoma Cyclones

...end of a 17 year career in Green Bay...

"I wasn't feeling the love anymore..."

...to be reunited with 55 year old Favre who says he may be in his last season...

Well played, Swede. Well played. :bclap:

DonHutson
09-13-2008, 11:24 AM
Jennings offered this cryptic remark: “Some of us already probably have been approached.”

Goddamn Vikings. Get Greg's cell phone.

:evil:

texaspackerbacker
09-13-2008, 12:06 PM
What would the consecutive game streak be up to in 2022? I can see the injured list now--Favre questionable with a mild heart attack--upgraded to probable.

As for the '09 free agency list, Thompson will handle it--he's handled pretty much everything else that has come along. Why would anybody doubt that he can deal with this?

As I look at that list, I see a lot of opportunity--to separate the wheat from the chaff in a lot of cases.

Sure, Jennings, Rodgers, and Kampman will cost some big money, and I'm reasonably sure Thompson will see fit to pay what it takes. If he stays healthy, Blackmon might also be a keeper. Just about everybody else, though, could easily be gone. Considering Thompson's apparent preference for keeping his draft picks over borderline vets, I think most of those guys will be hitting the road.

As for Driver, I could see him staying a little longer--signing a greatly reduced contract to stay a Packer.

mission
09-13-2008, 12:40 PM
Of course you pay Jennings Top 10 money... that's why we operate how we do in the first place. So we can!

You guys are worried about giving him "a huge payday" gimme a break ... must be Swiss. lol

bobblehead
09-13-2008, 01:09 PM

BOOOOOOOM SHAKALAKA!

Can a 38 year old who shuns working out be considered a franchise player??

bobblehead
09-13-2008, 01:13 PM
Anyone see the big difference between TT and wolf? Wolf would let our guys go right in their prime while signing other teams older guys (many times backfiring). TT refused to sign anyones old dude, but has been proactive in locking up our guys in their prime. Time will tell which method is better, but I think wolf's approach is one reason he lit out of town after holmgren left. The roster wasn't nearly as deep as it had been a few years earlier.

Tony Oday
09-13-2008, 01:22 PM
I think it is somewhere in the middle. Build the roster with great depth and fill in the gaps with Vets that can get you over the top.

mraynrand
09-13-2008, 02:55 PM
Anyone see the big difference between TT and wolf? Wolf would let our guys go right in their prime while signing other teams older guys (many times backfiring). TT refused to sign anyones old dude, but has been proactive in locking up our guys in their prime. Time will tell which method is better, but I think wolf's approach is one reason he lit out of town after holmgren left. The roster wasn't nearly as deep as it had been a few years earlier.

Except the fact that probably his best GM year ever (other than getting Favre) was in 2000 - drafting 4 starters and trading last year's garbage for Ahman Green. Bu other than that you're probably right - the Jamal Reynolds pick really doomed the Packers from taking that next step up in the early aughts.

The Gunshooter
09-14-2008, 06:14 AM

BOOOOOOOM SHAKALAKA!

In the minds of simpleton hype swallowers? Absofockinglutely.

RashanGary
09-14-2008, 07:55 AM
With Jennings age and impact level, as well as the constantly increasign cap space, I see no reason not to give him top 5 money right now.

I'd take Barrian's contract, add 20% and be happy that you're getting 200% the player.

Joemailman
09-14-2008, 08:36 AM
List of players whose contracts expire after 2009 season:

KGB (Probably will be gone. Age,knees and Jeremy Thompson work against him).

Clifton (Could be gone too for same reasons as KGB).

Kampman (Will be extended).

Chillar (Probably expendable, but could be signed rather inexpensively).

Pickett (Probably will get extended unless Harrell makes him expendable).

Rodgers (Extended).

Collins (Hard to call. Might depend on Rouse).

White (Can probably be kept fairly cheaply).

Colledge (Will get extended).

Jennings (Aside from Rodgers, TT's top priority. Will get extended).

Spitz (Future leader of the OL.Will get extended).

Coston (Probably won't make it to 2009 with Packers).

Blackmon (Will get extended).

Moll (Darned if I know).

Jolly (Will get extended if he's not in jail).

Peprah (See Coston).

RashanGary
09-14-2008, 08:42 AM
It's going to be an interesting next year or two for signings. This team is going to grow together and be somethigns special.

Scott Campbell
09-14-2008, 08:49 AM
With Jennings age and impact level, as well as the constantly increasign cap space, I see no reason not to give him top 5 money right now.

I'd take Barrian's contract, add 20% and be happy that you're getting 200% the player.

He'd have to take another big step this year. He's a borderline top 10 guy maybe. But top 5? Not yet. IMO.

Scott Campbell
09-14-2008, 08:51 AM

Yes. Yes he can.

If you're putting together a shuffleboard team.

Joemailman
09-14-2008, 09:05 AM
Blue 92! Blue 92! Hut Hut!!

http://images.townnews.com/nctimes.com/content/articles/2008/04/24/sports/nelson/8940d2e2570c6fc68825743400623a5a.jpg

Scott Campbell
09-14-2008, 09:15 AM
Is that Woody?

bobblehead
09-14-2008, 09:39 AM
Is that Woody?

More importantly....can that old guy get a woody?

MJZiggy
09-14-2008, 09:46 AM
Is that all you guys think about?

Bretsky
09-14-2008, 10:02 AM
Is that all you guys think about?

they all think of girls who like other girls too :!:

bobblehead
09-14-2008, 10:03 AM
working off Joes list and factoring in likely salaries and veteran minimums I see it like this:

Gone: KGB, Chillar, White, Coston, Peprah, collins (someone pays him big)

Lower 3-4 year deal: Blackmon, Moll, Jolly (hard to predict with legal stuff)

Good contract but still good for team: Clifton, Pickett, College, Spitz

bank breakers: Jennings, Rodgers, kampman

vince
09-14-2008, 10:17 AM
That is the core of the team right there... Kudos to TT for not bowing to fan and media pressure to throw good money away for guys who are no better than who we already have, but he has a serious challenge ahead of him here in keeping this team together.

Guys who could particularly challenging:

Spitz - Coming into his prime, he could get big money on the open market if he's not signed early
Jolly - Could very well want big money on the open market, and he's not going to get re-upped at least until after his legal troubles are solved, which won't be until after the season.
Blackmon - With a few more electric returns he's displayed, and if he stays healthy, he could get (relatively) big money as a return man and DB on the open market
Jennings - IF there is not CBA, he will be a RFA in '09... If there is a new CBA, then he'll be a UFA, and will command more than TT may want to match.