PDA

View Full Version : vikings and browns win the offseason....

bobblehead
09-13-2008, 05:48 PM
and very well might combine for an 0-4 start. Anyone see a pattern here?

Rastak
09-13-2008, 05:50 PM

I would if I didn't factor anything else in and was a complete moron.

Lurker64
09-13-2008, 06:05 PM
Well, the thing pattern is that offseason hype based on free agent acquisitions and big trades are not any guarantee to success on the field when the season starts. This, however, was not any secret to anybody.

Sometimes you make big offseason acquisitions and they help you a lot and immediately (Moss to the Pats). A lot of times this doesn't happen. It's too late to say the season is over for either team. The Browns and Vikings will play a number of teams inferior to Dallas and Green Bay yet, and both are still likely playoff contenders. I mean, you know what one of the teams with an 0-2 start was last year? The New York Giants, and I seem to recall they did pretty well down the stretch.

pbmax
09-13-2008, 06:11 PM

That's a pretty good definition of most of the talking heads on ESPN and the radio folks.

pbmax
09-13-2008, 06:13 PM
Its also the only thing new to talk about in March/April/May/June. If I had their job, I spout off about Favre, Jared Allen and anything else that happened rather than try to make the Mike McCarthy QB school sound exciting. But it may be that in this division, that is where the biggest development was.

Unless it was the training staff of the Bears getting their Defense healthy.

Well, the thing pattern is that offseason hype based on free agent acquisitions and big trades are not any guarantee to success on the field when the season starts. This, however, was not any secret to anybody.

Sometimes you make big offseason acquisitions and they help you a lot and immediately (Moss to the Pats). A lot of times this doesn't happen. It's too late to say the season is over for either team. The Browns and Vikings will play a number of teams inferior to Dallas and Green Bay yet, and both are still likely playoff contenders. I mean, you know what one of the teams with an 0-2 start was last year? The New York Giants, and I seem to recall they did pretty well down the stretch.

Lurker64
09-13-2008, 06:14 PM
Moreover, I believe a pattern to be noticed is that teams with a lot of continuity on both sides at the ball tend to do better in the early season than teams that are adjusting to new schemes or new key players. Towards the end of the season, as new schemes and new players are less unfamiliar, there tends to be more success for teams with new moving pieces. This, however, is also obvious when you think about it.

Rastak
09-13-2008, 06:18 PM

Totally agree Lurker. How stupid would anyone be to claim the season is over after a single game.

Free agency is hit and miss, as is the draft. Technically free agency should be easier. Injuries and such can sink anyones plans. I liked the signing of Williams to replace Smith at safety for the Vikings but it hasn't turned out at all. He's hurt. Berrian? He's injured too so it's hard to say.

It was speculated after looking at the Vikings schedule before the season that they could be 1-3 and the schedule would be easier after that.

It's early. Draft picks fail and get hurt, as do veterans you add.

gbgary
09-13-2008, 08:36 PM
How stupid would anyone be to claim the season is over after a single game.

raiders and texans fans might have a claim. http://images.corvetteforum.com/images/smilies/lol.gif

SnakeLH2006
09-13-2008, 09:58 PM
How stupid would anyone be to claim the season is over after a single game.

raiders and texans fans might have a claim. http://images.corvetteforum.com/images/smilies/lol.gif

:lol: :lol: :lol:

No doubt...Free Agency isn't what it was 10 even 15 years ago when it started as gamechangers are rarely allowed to leave via FA, (Moss was traded). Most dudes getting those massive contracts have warts (DT Kelley for the Raiders got a massive deal this offseason like 7 years 50 million for what?? He's injured yet and never did anything to deserve that deal). Most big names changing teams now-a-days are traded to get fair value for both teams, aka Portis for Champ Bailey comes to mind....but it's true too there are growing pains with a new system and most guys in Free Agency, their best years are behind them as it's a young man's game. Most of the best players in the league are under 27 (unless you are a QB or OL). The Redskins showed the results of overpaying vs. culturing your own talent. You are best to draft well and sign your own to fair market deals. I rip on TT a bit for his Favre treatment and aloofness, but I do think he's a top 5 GM overall for his draft acumen and ability to lock up young guys (pardon the pun). :roll: We'll see TT's true merit in the next 2 years when so many of our young guys get deals 10x their yearly salary now. That is the true litmus test. Hopefully Jennings resigns as he is gonna get bank...!

Zool
09-13-2008, 10:03 PM

Totally agree Lurker. How stupid would anyone be to claim the season is over after a single game.

Free agency is hit and miss, as is the draft. Technically free agency should be easier. Injuries and such can sink anyones plans. I liked the signing of Williams to replace Smith at safety for the Vikings but it hasn't turned out at all. He's hurt. Berrian? He's injured too so it's hard to say.

It was speculated after looking at the Vikings schedule before the season that they could be 1-3 and the schedule would be easier after that.

Might want to find someone to replace Sharper this offseason to attempt top shore up that pass D.

SnakeLH2006
09-13-2008, 10:21 PM

Might want to find someone to replace Sharper this offseason to attempt top shore up that pass D.

Hahaha...The joys of a DVR. Was watching that play with some buddies where Driver went loose on the long TD called back. Sharper looked old and slow biting on the run. Yes he makes big plays, but how many does/did he as a Packer give up. There's a reason he plays in purple now.

DannoMac21
09-13-2008, 10:30 PM

Yeah, the same pattern that the Patriots went through last year when they had the best offseason and followed it by going 16-0...

SnakeLH2006
09-13-2008, 11:08 PM

Yeah, the same pattern that the Patriots went through last year when they had the best offseason and followed it by going 16-0...

True that....In all of sports there is no worse stat than the NFL preseason records, in fact (no stats to post) I'd venture that their is absolutely no correlation to reg. season records. Absolutely no indicator of reg. season success can be obtained one way or the other from preseason records as so many coaches do different things with the preseason. Patler???

esoxx
09-14-2008, 01:34 AM

QFT :lol:

packers11
09-14-2008, 10:59 PM
0-2 for the ESPN off-season all-stars.

oregonpackfan
09-14-2008, 11:49 PM
The Lions had an "outstanding" 4-0 preseason.

Did that transfer into a winning regular season? They are now 0-2. :roll:

cheesner
09-15-2008, 02:19 PM

Yeah, the same pattern that the Patriots went through last year when they had the best offseason and followed it by going 16-0...Not the same at all.

Patriots: Aging team with lots of superstars at some spots, established veteran leadership, and a few holes at others.

Vikings and Cleveland: a bunch of holes, young team, still in building process, with one or two stars.