PDA

View Full Version : John McCain cant type so Barry makes a TV ad about it

sheepshead
09-14-2008, 10:03 AM
This from Michelle Malkin's site:

Michelle,

I just thought I would share this letter to the editor I sent to the Seattle Times and the Olympian in regards to Obama’s latest ad:

As a Disabled Veteran and as an American I was utterly disgusted by the latest campaign ad by Sen. Obama. The ad in which I speak makes the following claim:

“He admits he still doesn’t know how to use a computer, can’t send an e-mail”

The ad shows one of two things; either Sen. Obama has absolutely no scruples about attacking Sen. McCain’s disability he suffers from due to the torture he received as a POW or he and his campaign lack the basic skills to do research prior to releasing this tasteless ad. I did a bit of checking and found the following quote in a Boston Globe article by Mary Leonard dated 3/4/2000 which states,

“McCain’s severe war injuries prevent him from combing his hair, typing on a keyboard, or tying his shoes.”

Perhaps instead of mocking Sen. McCain’s injuries, the Sen. Obama should be reaching out to the disabled community. I see this as just one more reason that Sen. Obama has been slipping in the polls in our great state as well as nationally.

Matthew Fritch

Yelm, WA (currently in Iraq)

This and Joe blowhard Biden asking a wheelchair bound guy to stand up during a speech.

I think maybe it's time to pack up and go home Barry, even John Kerry wasn't this stupid.

sheepshead
09-14-2008, 10:04 AM
p.s. I dont want my president typing any more than I want him cleaning up after hurricanes.

BallHawk
09-14-2008, 10:09 AM
Oops. :oops:

I see the message they were trying to get across, but they should of thought that one through a bit more.

sheepshead
09-14-2008, 10:33 AM
Oops. :oops:

I see the message they were trying to get across, but they should of thought that one through a bit more.

It's not like they're understaffed. 300 foreign policy advisers for instance?

falco
09-14-2008, 10:41 AM
right, but it was okay for them to disparage john kerry's service - he was wounded a couple times too, but it didn't stop them from having the swift boat ads left and right

i think both sides do some nasty shit, but its obvious that the intention here wasn't to attack mccains service

BallHawk
09-14-2008, 10:47 AM
right, but it was okay for them to disparage john kerry's service - he was wounded a couple times too, but it didn't stop them from having the swift boat ads left and right

John Kerry shot himself to get a Purple Heart. Everybody knows that. Like a Democrat would actually prove himself in battle. :roll:

sheepshead
09-14-2008, 10:49 AM

i think both sides do some nasty shit, but its obvious that the intention here wasn't to attack mccains service

The ironic thing about the Kerry ads is it was ALL TRUE. One of the authors has a $1,000,000 set aside for the charity of Kerry choice to come up with evidence to dispute any of the claims. So far-the money sits. It's great when dems use the term as a verb and it was all true. Terrific irony.

falco
09-14-2008, 10:51 AM

The ironic thing about the Kerry ads is it was ALL TRUE. One of the authors has a $1,000,000 set aside for the charity of Kerry choice to come up with evidence to dispute any of the claims. So far-the money sits. It's great when dems use the term as a verb and it was all true. Terrific irony.

lol wut

bobblehead
09-14-2008, 10:55 AM

John Kerry shot himself to get a Purple Heart. Everybody knows that. Like a Democrat would actually prove himself in battle. :roll:

QFT....wait, you were being sarcastic weren't you.

bobblehead
09-14-2008, 10:57 AM

Not to defend the war wuss here, but that kind of reward is bullshit. F. Lea Baily offered Fuhrman a cool million to pass a lie detector test. Fuhrman goes on Larry king, passes with flying colors and Baily made about 100 excuses why he didn't actually pass. I'll pay 1 million to dollars to anyone who can show me a legit million dollar offer :lol:

BallHawk
09-14-2008, 10:57 AM

QFT....wait, you were being sarcastic weren't you.

Indeed I was.

falco
09-14-2008, 11:00 AM
no offense, but

A) if I was John Kerry, I don't dignify that kind of bullshit with a response or even an acknowledgment

B) if someone said McCain was full of bullshit, and offered a $1 mil to prove he wasn't, not only would McCain not answer for it, but everyone on the right who bashed Kerry would be all up in arms about it

I thought John Kerry was a shitty presidential candidate, and I have positive feelings on John McCain, but for any of them to question their service is fucking ridiculous (especially since its usually the same people who claim to be so patriotic)

texaspackerbacker
09-14-2008, 11:38 AM

Exactly! The SWIFTBOAT accusations were not disputed because they were indisputable. Kerry didn't have to shoot himself to get Purple Hearts. He was the guy writing the reports. The doctor who "treated" him was one of his accusers, for crying out loud. And he did it--falsified the reports 3 TIMES--because 3 Purple Hearts were necessary to get the leftist coward out of combat.

As for McCain, I haven't heard anything from him or his people about not being able to use a keyboard. If you can't raise your arms, you can always get a lower desk or higher chair. That being said, this ad just begs the question, is this all the ammunition the Obama camp has? They don't dare get specific on the issues, as they are so out of tune with good normal Americans.

MJZiggy
09-14-2008, 01:38 PM
Tex, from what I understand the ads to be saying, and no, I haven't seen them, he is not saying McCain can't use a keyboard, but that he can't use a computer. That he can't keep up with the way that the country moves and communicates. Correction: the way the world advances and communicates. When the whole flap arose from Bristol Palin's pregnancy, he was asked about sex education and he said he knew nothing about it or birth control. This worries me immensely.

swede
09-14-2008, 03:19 PM
Tex, from what I understand the ads to be saying, and no, I haven't seen them, he is not saying McCain can't use a keyboard, but that he can't use a computer. That he can't keep up with the way that the country moves and communicates. Correction: the way the world advances and communicates. When the whole flap arose from Bristol Palin's pregnancy, he was asked about sex education and he said he knew nothing about it or birth control. This worries me immensely.

Wow, Zig, if you could spin any better you'd be a world-class figure skater.

MJZiggy
09-14-2008, 03:35 PM
Well who the hell would ever be worried about whether a guy can type and from the description above, that's not what the ad says. I would be very worried, however about electing someone who can't function well enough to have learned a system the both I and my nine-year old have down cold. Especially when that system is one of the main forms of information and communication in the world. You really want to hire someone who, in a pinch, can't boot up and log onto a computer? Who is apparently out of touch with the worries of the countries youth and the educational system? I like McCain and I have intentionally not made a final decision on this election yet, but I find this highly troublesome. Add Palin to the mix and Donald Duck and Goofy are starting to look good as 3rd party candidates...I think abstinence only should be taught when your own kid proves that abstinence only doesn't work? I'm not being critical of Bristol as I could care less how she lives her life, but I think she's proving her mom a hypocrite and should run like hell from this shotgun marriage. The more I know of Palin, the less I like her.

swede
09-14-2008, 03:41 PM
Well I'm glad you're keeping an open mind, and I think it's jolly nice that computer skills and birth control issues are playing into your process for selecting the next leader of the free world.

Could you text me at 3 am when you make your decision?

retailguy
09-14-2008, 03:51 PM
Well I'm glad you're keeping an open mind, and I think it's jolly nice that computer skills and birth control issues are playing into your process for selecting the next leader of the free world.

Could you text me at 3 am when you make your decision?

EXACTLY. I want a leader with EXPERIENCE. I see NONE with Obama, well, none that qualifies him to be President.

Abstinence doesn't work. Hmm. Sounds like a campaign ad from the 1960's. Last time I checked 17 year olds had to start taking control of their lives. Hanging that on the Mother? Well, Zig, I thought you were better than that. Guess not. Personal responsibility must not be very important in your life.

Bristol spread her legs, and now she and her boyfriend have to take responsibility for that. None of that refutes that "abstinence doesn't work", in fact, you could raise a pretty compelling agument using these facts that abstinence does in fact work quite well. :idea:

retailguy
09-14-2008, 03:54 PM
here's the ad. You decide what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdIlzAyueow

Tex - click the link ABOVE.... :wink: :twisted:

retailguy
09-14-2008, 04:00 PM
Here's Karl Rove's explanation and a bit more too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ao0b9Vz9Ss

Again, you decide.

texaspackerbacker
09-14-2008, 04:36 PM

I've seen the ad a dozen times. The "keyboard" thing was first conjured up by somebody in here--at least that's the first I heard it. The ad DOES say he doesn't use computers and doesn't even know how to send email. Do you really think that's a prerequisite to be president? It kind of reminds me of that commercial--Verizon or whatever--he's got people to do that stuff.

If you check out the new People Magazine, it probably proves you correct that he doesn't know much about birth control. What is it, 7 kids or 8? I guess his idea of sex education is a "how to" thing--but isn't that pretty much the way the liberals teach it anyway?

texaspackerbacker
09-14-2008, 04:44 PM
Well who the hell would ever be worried about whether a guy can type and from the description above, that's not what the ad says. I would be very worried, however about electing someone who can't function well enough to have learned a system the both I and my nine-year old have down cold. Especially when that system is one of the main forms of information and communication in the world. You really want to hire someone who, in a pinch, can't boot up and log onto a computer? Who is apparently out of touch with the worries of the countries youth and the educational system? I like McCain and I have intentionally not made a final decision on this election yet, but I find this highly troublesome. Add Palin to the mix and Donald Duck and Goofy are starting to look good as 3rd party candidates...I think abstinence only should be taught when your own kid proves that abstinence only doesn't work? I'm not being critical of Bristol as I could care less how she lives her life, but I think she's proving her mom a hypocrite and should run like hell from this shotgun marriage. The more I know of Palin, the less I like her.

Who said anything about a shotgun marriage?

That's likely bogus crap spewed by the leftist mainstream media.

Obviously you don't like Palin. She has the views and values of the huge majority of good normal Americans--which puts her squarely at the opposite end of the spectrum from the sick leftists you seem to love so much. Yet she's going to get a lot of votes for McCain from innocently misguided people who otherwise would probably be conned into voting against their own interests and values by the leftist media. Yeah, I can see how that would piss you off

MJZiggy
09-14-2008, 07:24 PM

I've seen the ad a dozen times. The "keyboard" thing was first conjured up by somebody in here--at least that's the first I heard it. The ad DOES say he doesn't use computers and doesn't even know how to send email. Do you really think that's a prerequisite to be president? It kind of reminds me of that commercial--Verizon or whatever--he's got people to do that stuff.

If you check out the new People Magazine, it probably proves you correct that he doesn't know much about birth control. What is it, 7 kids or 8? I guess his idea of sex education is a "how to" thing--but isn't that pretty much the way the liberals teach it anyway?

You're kinda missing my point. The point is not that he be able to use a computer, it is more the fact that computers have become the way in which the world functions, and while I think that the occasional older person who is near retirement can get away with keeping up with things, this is the President of the United States we're talking about here. I would think we would want someone who knows how to stay on top of things and doesn't fall behind.

As I recall, sex education deals with the changes of puberty, knowing how to protect yourself against pregnancy and disease should your hormones get the best of you, and what it takes to raise a kid, so you'd best be careful. They used to do this project with chicken eggs...you had to protect the thing until it hatched. I wonder if they still do that.

Scott Campbell
09-14-2008, 07:44 PM
.........he is not saying McCain can't use a keyboard, but that he can't use a computer. That he can't keep up with the way that the country moves and communicates.

That does it. I'm not voting for anybody that doesn't have a MySpace page.

MJZiggy
09-14-2008, 08:55 PM
Would you want a chemical company run by someone who can't keep up with the trends in chemistry? An oil company run by someone who can't learn the new technologies involved in drilling? A financial company led by someone who can't look up stock quotes?

retailguy
09-14-2008, 09:31 PM
Would you want a chemical company run by someone who can't keep up with the trends in chemistry? An oil company run by someone who can't learn the new technologies involved in drilling? A financial company led by someone who can't look up stock quotes?

How about a commander in chief of the military by someone who has never served and is open about the fact he doesn't support the mission? That would seem to be consistent with your views above, no?

Just to put this into perspective, you're talking about someone who can't use a computer versus someone who has never led ANYONE other than a campaign staff..... Hmmm. Tough choice. As far as communicating, people still TALK and last time I checked, McCain can do that, and hire someone to work the PC. Do you think ole Barack can hire a "commander in chief of the military"?

MJZiggy
09-14-2008, 10:46 PM
He seems to have led the entire democratic party to the polls...

texaspackerbacker
09-14-2008, 10:53 PM
The proper comparison would be McCain being able to handle a computer/Obama being able to take off and land a fighter jet on a carrier.

Either one, if they are fortunate enough to become president, will have PEOPLE to do those things.

Harlan Huckleby
09-14-2008, 11:34 PM
I think Obama's ads attacking McCain's lack of computer skills are totally legitimate. Obviously he wants to paint McCain as a man of the past. If some people think having a younger generation person in office is important, so be it.

I personally have no admiration for computer skills, I would vote for Abraham Lincoln if he were running.

HowardRoark
09-15-2008, 07:00 AM
Maybe we should get the SuperNanny to run. She can fire up the computer and then teach all our kids about sex and whatnot. That is the job of the Federal Government right? Sex education for my children.......

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/09_04/jofrostDM2609_468x991.jpg

SkinBasket
09-15-2008, 07:40 AM
The point is not that he be able to use a computer, it is more the fact that computers have become the way in which the world functions, and while I think that the occasional older person who is near retirement can get away with keeping up with things, this is the President of the United States we're talking about here.

If he didn't have legs, would you also expect him to keep up his knowledge of the newest styles of tennis shoes? Because he is the President of the United States after all and most people wear tennis shoes.

I have intentionally not made a final decision on this election yet

Did you actually believe this when you typed it?

sheepshead
09-15-2008, 07:47 AM
Re Kerry:

http://archive.patriotpost.us/pub/07-48_Digest/index.php#continued

As for senator McCain, he cant tie his shoes nor comb his hair without help either.

Rove made a great point, they need a grown up over there. I dont see any..either will the American public in November.

sheepshead
09-15-2008, 07:49 AM
The point is not that he be able to use a computer, it is more the fact that computers have become the way in which the world functions, and while I think that the occasional older person who is near retirement can get away with keeping up with things, this is the President of the United States we're talking about here.

If he didn't have legs, would you also expect him to keep up his knowledge of the newest styles of tennis shoes? Because he is the President of the United States after all and most people wear tennis shoes.

As I've said-I dont want my president typing anything anyway, I don't want him to watch TV I don't want him cleaning up after hurricanes--none of these are in his job description.

retailguy
09-15-2008, 08:12 AM

And this doesn't concern you? It appears to be the ONLY thing he's ever led... That scares the CRAP outta me. It ought to scare you too.

sheepshead
09-15-2008, 09:34 AM
This oughtta scare anyone:

http://ace.mu.nu/archives/273431.php

http://www.nypost.com/seven/09152008/postopinion/opedcolumnists/obama_tried_to_stall_gis_iraq_withdrawal_129150.ht m

mraynrand
09-15-2008, 01:48 PM
If the government is going to provide sex education, shouldn't they also provide sex?

I said before about McCain - if he isn't using the internet, at least we know he isn't surfing for porn. I see the trade-off as an overall positive for the country. Of course, he's going to miss all those spam e-mails for Kevis hair regrowth formula.

mraynrand
09-15-2008, 01:50 PM
If the government is going to provide sex education, shouldn't they also provide sex?.

I know what the response is - I'm already getting fucked by the government. :rs:

MJZiggy
09-15-2008, 08:38 PM

No, but when he has to make a policy decision on intellectual property and internet regulation, I'd hope he'd understand what his advisors are trying to explain to him. When he has to talk about education, he would hopefully be able to pick up on what he's being told is going on in our schools in a hurry. If he hasn't picked up on a 20-year old technology that's taken over the country why would I have any confidence that he'd be able to adapt to other changing conditions in the world. It's not a stagnant place, you know.

And yes, I did believe that when I typed it, but Palin is making my mind up for me in a hurry.

HowardRoark
09-16-2008, 07:07 AM
From that neat-o magazine Slate a few years ago.

http://www.slate.com/id/74812/

Six months ago, no one would have pegged McCain as the most cybersavvy of this year's crop of candidates. At 63, he is the oldest of the bunch and because of his war injuries, he is limited in his ability to wield a keyboard. But McCain's job as chairman of the Senate commerce committee forced him to learn about the Internet early on, and young Web entrepreneurs such as Jerry Yang and Jeff Bezos fascinate him.

SkinBasket
09-16-2008, 08:30 AM
No, but when he has to make a policy decision on intellectual property and internet regulation, I'd hope he'd understand what his advisors are trying to explain to him.

I think there's some space between not using e-mail because the man can't use a keyboard and not understanding the concept of what a computer is, or electronic communication, or the internet, or how they're being used.

And yes, I did believe that when I typed it, but Palin is making my mind up for me in a hurry.

In my opinion you would have a difficult time convincing many people here that you're actually an undecided independent. Not that there's anything wrong with that, mind you. You've just never really presented your posts that way.

sheepshead
09-16-2008, 09:37 AM

17 million votes-he'll need 60 million to win the white house. Many card carrying dems will not vote for him for a variety of reasons.

MJZiggy
09-16-2008, 05:59 PM
I think there's some space between not using e-mail because the man can't use a keyboard and not understanding the concept of what a computer is, or electronic communication, or the internet, or how they're being used.

I think that the ad was suggesting the latter, not the former. If you can't type you have someone do it for you. If you can't use a computer by now, it means you can't adapt or at least refuse to adapt to a changing world.

In my opinion you would have a difficult time convincing many people here that you're actually an undecided independent. Not that there's anything wrong with that, mind you. You've just never really presented your posts that way.[/quote]

I've been trying to stay central, but the more you guys rip on the guy using a lot of hyperbole and going after him for the same shit over and over, the more I feel like I need to defend the dude. However between a few of the things that I've read lately and the contradiction between what he says he's going to do and what his VP candidate believes in. Stem cell research? Sure. I'm sure she's into it.