PDA

View Full Version : Post game chat with Cleft Crusty (at Detroit)

Cleft Crusty
09-14-2008, 04:32 PM
Hi Folks,

Sorry to be starting late on the chat, but I watched from at home, and just following Woodson's INT TD, a large tree blew into power lines, killing the TV feed and the internet. Now, Being a stubborn old man, I figured I could fix it myself, so I got out the trusty extension ladder and leaned it up against the lines, and headed up with my chain saw, all primed and started - to cut back the offending branch. Well, Crusty's wife was a bit worried that Crusty would be electrocuted, but I wasn't to be denied. Unfortunately, as I reached the top of the ladder, I began to feel the signs of an impending heart attack. I was in A-fib! Fortunately, or unfortunately, that resulted in the chain saw getting too close to the electrical wire, and sending God knows how many volts through Crusty's body. Now two wrongs usually don't make a right, but doggone it if that electrocution didn't stop the fibrillation! Long story short: Crusty is alive, the electric is on generator back-up and it's time for questions. Fire away.

BallHawk
09-14-2008, 04:34 PM
What'd you think of McCarthy's playcalling in the 2nd half? It seemed lackluster compared to the 1st half.

What do you think needs to be done with this OL? They are committing way too many penalties.

Cleft Crusty
09-14-2008, 04:36 PM
What'd you think of McCarthy's playcalling in the 2nd half? It seemed lackluster compared to the 1st half.

What do you think needs to be done with this OL? They are committing way too many penalties.

Got pretty conservative, didn't it? Sometimes, and this is just a minor observation (as I don't like to question play-calling), but it seems as though McCarthy is pretty stubborn about game plan. If he thinks they should be able to run the ball (or pass it), by God they are going to do it - even if it doesn't work. It can be a dangerous thing to be stubborn.

Lurker64
09-14-2008, 04:37 PM
Rodgers finished the game with a QB rating of 116.99561403508774. That sounds pretty good, do you think that's an accurate indicator of how well he played today?

Cleft Crusty
09-14-2008, 04:40 PM
Rodgers finished the game with a QB rating of 116.99561403508774. That sounds pretty good, do you think that's an accurate indicator of how well he played today?

I calculated it at 116.9956140350879, but who am I to quibble? What's not to like about Rodgers' game? He was able to make all the throws and even run for first downs. The fumble was a fifty-fifty sort of thing - he should have gotten rid of the ball sooner, but Clifton needs to block that better. Would you rather have Rodgers or Jon Kitna?

mission
09-14-2008, 04:42 PM

I calculated it at 116.9956140350879, but who am I to quibble? What's not to like about Rodgers' game? He was able to make all the throws and even run for first downs. The fumble was a fifty-fifty sort of thing - he should have gotten rid of the ball sooner, but Clifton needs to block that better. Would you rather have Rodgers or Jon Kitna?

Brett.

Pacopete4
09-14-2008, 04:44 PM

Brett.

Hell, I wasn't even aware we had the option of having Jon Kitna on our team...

Cleft Crusty
09-14-2008, 04:46 PM

Brett.

Mission, I think you are just a rabble rouser! Seriously, folks. Did you see some of the nice plays Rodgers made on the move. Moves in rolling our, running, and even sneaking and ducking ot of sacks. Some teams have gone 50 or so years and still haven't replaced their great quarterback. Packer fans should be happy that they have a QB as skilled as Rodgers to follow Favre (no matter whether they agreed with the decision to can Favre or not).

mission
09-14-2008, 04:48 PM
I am. And I agree with you.

A-Rod for president, VP, MVP, MVQBP-BRETT!!!

Cleft Crusty
09-14-2008, 04:51 PM

Brett.

Hell, I wasn't even aware we had the option of having Jon Kitna on our team...

You didn't. But Pecos, would you take Kitna on a bet after what you saw today? Mike Holmgren got rid of him 7 years ago. What does that tell you?

Joemailman
09-14-2008, 04:53 PM
Cleft, will Jessica Simpson be at the Packer/Cowboy game next week?

Lurker64
09-14-2008, 04:56 PM
Brandon Jackson made a few nifty plays today, other times he was the same dancing concrete mannequin that drove Packer fans crazy in the early part of 2007. Is there hope for this guy?

Cleft Crusty
09-14-2008, 04:59 PM

I sure hope so! But I'm not sure the wife will let me go. She's still holding a grudge for making her ride on the back of the Harley to a high school stadium in Arkansas this past summer. Plus, I have to get some sort of pass to get into the game and the press box. Being semi-retired, they usually make me watch it on a monitor in the visitors' locker room.

BF4MVP
09-14-2008, 05:00 PM
I'll buy her a ticket..

Right after I buy myself one, of course :D

Edit: Sorry to step on your turf, Cleft..I just hadda throw that in..Im not sure why haha

Cleft Crusty
09-14-2008, 05:01 PM
Brandon Jackson made a few nifty plays today, other times he was the same dancing concrete mannequin that drove Packer fans crazy in the early part of 2007. Is there hope for this guy?

He has definite potential, but hasn't seen the field enough. It should be obvious right away that he has more wiggle and explosiveness than Lumpkin. Lumpkin is an efficient, secure runner, but he has no exceptional skills. Jackson has a high ceiling.

BF4MVP
09-14-2008, 05:04 PM
Cleft, how soon do you think the Packers will lock up Rodgers long-term?

Cleft Crusty
09-14-2008, 05:09 PM
Cleft, how soon do you think the Packers will lock up Rodgers long-term?

If their philosophy runs true to form, they will sign him up sooner than later. And they need to give him a good deal (and he knows it), since he is their only reasonable option right now. Unless they really do believe that his success is because of 'the system'

swede
09-14-2008, 05:40 PM
Hey Cleft,

I have been looking forward to this season wondering what the personality of this team will be.

So far, I am pleasantly surprised to find that Aaron Rodgers is mobile and composed, that the offense throws personnel packages into the game so rapidly that defenses struggle to match up, and that the defense plays like Rocky boxes. By the last point I mean that Rocky always got beat up quite a bit before he busted a guy's jaw and then took some more shots to the face and let the other guy back into the fight before finally knocking him out with a flurry of concussive blows.

So...my question is...did you like Rocky III or Rocky IV better?

cpk1994
09-14-2008, 05:43 PM

Got pretty conservative, didn't it? Sometimes, and this is just a minor observation (as I don't like to question play-calling), but it seems as though McCarthy is pretty stubborn about game plan. If he thinks they should be able to run the ball (or pass it), by God they are going to do it - even if it doesn't work. It can be a dangerous thing to be stubborn.But isn't it also a dangerous thing to abandon something that doesn't work like Mike Sherman always did?

motife
09-14-2008, 06:21 PM
http://www.talkingnfl.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/roflbot-8.jpg

Actually, he's 31 and 83 now.

Cleft, now that you're retired, have you and Matt Millen ever consummated your butt boy love?

Who's a better GM, Matt Millen or Al Davis?

What's a better stock to buy now? Ford Inc. or Millen Inc.

"Quitters never win and winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots."

http://msnbcmedia2.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/061222/061222_lionsprotest_vlg_2p.widec.jpg

http://getsbybuckner.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/fire_millen_large.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h301/kmatanzas/millen.jpg

cpk1994
09-14-2008, 06:51 PM

Cleft, now that you're retired, have you and Matt Millen ever consummated you butt boy love?

"Quitters never win and winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots."

I give Matt Millen the nod. At least he has control of all his faculties.

Badgerinmaine
09-14-2008, 06:58 PM
Hi Folks,
Now two wrongs usually don't make a right, but doggone it if that electrocution didn't stop the fibrillation! Long story short: Crusty is alive, the electric is on generator back-up and it's time for questions. Fire away.

Did you get this idea from the old episode of Gilligan's Island when getting conked on the head again fixed Gilligan's memory?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/pweifenbach/gilligan.jpg

Badgerinmaine
09-14-2008, 06:59 PM

Cleft, now that you're retired, have you and Matt Millen ever consummated you butt boy love?

As the answer to the first question or the second one? :P

cpk1994
09-14-2008, 07:24 PM

As the answer to the first question or the second one? :PI meant the second one but using it to answer the first is even funnier! :lol:

Cleft Crusty
09-15-2008, 10:02 AM
http://www.talkingnfl.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/roflbot-8.jpg

Cleft, now that you're retired, have you and Matt Millen ever consummated your butt boy love?

Sorry for the long delay folks. WE have power out here and I'm running off the generator. The wife seems to think the generator should be used for things like the refrigerator and freezer, and lights for the kids to do their homework. Clefty had to unplug the DirecTV, the internet, and the beer cooler. Priorities! At least my breathing machine for my sleep apnea is working

Well Motife,

Recall that my support for Millen was simply that he should be discounted from being a GM because he 'didn't come up the correct way.' But the proof is in the pudding as they say, and 'Ole Crusty appears to be totally wrong about Millen. Why should the Lions be satisfied with a coach Mike Holmgren cast off 7 years ago? Plus, as you saw yesterday, he has a terrible tendency to melt down. Wow, was that ugly football there at the end!

Crusty thinks that the Lions, Like Ford and GM, may have to go get a government loan to sign some players.

Cleft Crusty
09-15-2008, 10:06 AM
Hey Cleft,

I have been looking forward to this season wondering what the personality of this team will be.

So far, I am pleasantly surprised to find that Aaron Rodgers is mobile and composed, that the offense throws personnel packages into the game so rapidly that defenses struggle to match up, and that the defense plays like Rocky boxes. By the last point I mean that Rocky always got beat up quite a bit before he busted a guy's jaw and then took some more shots to the face and let the other guy back into the fight before finally knocking him out with a flurry of concussive blows.

So...my question is...did you like Rocky III or Rocky IV better?

I'm a little confused by the question. I thought there was just one Rocky, played by Sylvester Stallone. I like the Rocky movie where Rocky loses at the end. It was gritty and realistic. It seems though that you are suggesting there was more than one Rocky movie. Is this true?

Cleft Crusty
09-15-2008, 10:08 AM

Got pretty conservative, didn't it? Sometimes, and this is just a minor observation (as I don't like to question play-calling), but it seems as though McCarthy is pretty stubborn about game plan. If he thinks they should be able to run the ball (or pass it), by God they are going to do it - even if it doesn't work. It can be a dangerous thing to be stubborn.But isn't it also a dangerous thing to abandon something that doesn't work like Mike Sherman always did?

Abandon? No - and I don't think Sherman did much abandoning. Balance is the key. But again, it's playcalling - so Rodgers may have called the exact correct adjustment and McCarthy may have called the exact right plays for every down and distance - but the players didn't execute. That's always hard to tell...

Cleft Crusty
09-15-2008, 10:09 AM
Hi Folks,
Now two wrongs usually don't make a right, but doggone it if that electrocution didn't stop the fibrillation! Long story short: Crusty is alive, the electric is on generator back-up and it's time for questions. Fire away.

Did you get this idea from the old episode of Gilligan's Island when getting conked on the head again fixed Gilligan's memory?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/pweifenbach/gilligan.jpg

No I didn't, but it's certainly gratifying that the folks think Crusty is as inventive as the script writers for a 70s TV show.