PDA

View Full Version : What would YOU do?

GrnBay007
06-21-2006, 12:31 AM
No, I haven't had to face this yet.....kids younger and hopefully don't have to, but I love to hear replies on real life experiences/views/thoughts. ...what can I say, it's the offseason....discussion welcome.

Badgepack
06-21-2006, 08:41 AM
We always allowed out kids lots of freedom as they were growing up. The only unbreakable rule was to never drive after drinking or getting high. The kids could always call for a ride home with no punishment. Kids are going to experment with stuff, never think they won't.

Being open and forgiving about it kinda makes it less attractive I think. None of my kids got beyond trying drugs, but they do like to drink. I have daughters so I don't know if it is different with boys. Make sure they know that stoners often do not do well in school, if he already has big future plans, remind him of this.

If your child is high all the time, then I think a more firm approach is in order. But, if usage is recreational, I would not be too concerned.

That is all I can think of for now, accept being able to talk about stuff like that openly with your kids, you get to hear some funny stories from them that you would miss out on if such activities were not allowed. Kids that have to hide that stuff from parents tend to overdue it whenever they get the chance.

Deputy Nutz
06-21-2006, 08:51 AM
I think 14 is a little young to be getting into drugs and even alcohol. I was 15 when I had my first full beer, as I was the kid at family functions that everyone gave sips of beer to.

The most important thing to do is not panic, and then blow the whole situation out of proportion. My uncle caught one of his son's at about 14 smoking weed, and he went totally nutzo. He tried to get the kid into counciling, and grounded him. Didn't let him see the light of day unless he was at school, and then he would go and pick him up from school and walk him into his bedroom. MY cousin was pissed, and learned that he should be more careful when he smoked pot so he wouldn't get caught. The important thing is to talk to your son or daughter after you cool down, it is ok to hand out a consequence, but if you overdue it and don't bother to sit down and discuss drugs and alcohol with them what point are you making?

Hopefully at 14 the kid is just experimenting with drugs, and isn't an actual user. I remember kids in middle school sniffing air freshner spray to get a high.

Remember weed ain't gonna kill them, but I am worried that drugs like "H" and crack and easier for this kids to get their hands on, and smoking weed can easily lead to this types of drugs if they are readily available.

MJZiggy
06-21-2006, 09:01 AM
Just my two cents, but I think that it's a better idea to have the discussions about the dangers of drugs before they actually try them. Then let them know that they can talk to you about it if need be, and yes, IMO the policy of a free ride home with no consequences is a good one.

Deputy Nutz
06-21-2006, 09:18 AM
Just my two cents, but I think that it's a better idea to have the discussions about the dangers of drugs before they actually try them. Then let them know that they can talk to you about it if need be, and yes, IMO the policy of a free ride home with no consequences is a good one.

Thats crazy, then they know about them. :mrgreen:

pacfan
06-21-2006, 09:33 AM
Two boys both past 14 now.

The first one was the rebel and tried just about everything. We tried to easy approach at first, speaking about what was right and wrong and what could happen. It didn't work.

We tried increasing the penalties and restricting the freedom-that backfired.

Finally, I went the old-school route and made a deal. He stops and he stays, he doesn't-then he doesn't. Drove his mother crazy but it worked.

We had other issues at the same time, not just the smoking and the drinking. He had a vicious girlfriend and some thugs for 'friends'. The girlfriend's parents, we found out, was supplying the stuff. We adults 'worked out' our differences later.

Second kid is a charm. He saw the effects of the first kid and didn't follow that path. Still does teenage boy stuff, but talks to us about some of the challenges he faces in school. We keep somewhat close tabs on him, but he's 'earned' more priveleges than his brother at his age.

Three pointers that I learned (from my wife):

1.) Know who your kids friends are, have them come over to your house. Know their numbers and try to meet their parents. we didn't with kid #1 and it took us years to recover. We did with kid #2 and its a whole different experience.

2.) If you have a partner, make sure you both agree in advance on the parenting strategy to address the issue. We didn't with kid #1-it really was tough for a few months. We did with kid #2, and its so much more peaceful, occasionally.

3.) No matter how pissed you get at what they done, still tell them that you love them. This took me awhile, because I thought its just understood or a given so it didn't need to be said.

Both kids have/had the free ride home

Harlan Huckleby
06-21-2006, 09:34 AM
Problem is when weed fills a void. If your kid is active in learning or sports or dance or whatever, they can learn that getting blotto takes away from their interests. If they are bored, how can you possibly expect them to resist getting high?

SkinBasket
06-21-2006, 09:38 AM
The best bargaining tool a parent can have is the monetary support they give their kids. Don't want your 14 year old smoking pot? Tell em if they do, they ain't going to see any coin from you, that includes gifts (ok, maybe some socks or underwear for xmas). Tell them you will feed them and house them, but you ain't gonna be paying for no dank. Kids that age find out working a shitty job for minimum wage really "harshes their mellow."

In and of itself, the weed is nice. Kids that age have no concept of actual consequence, however, and even less of a notion of self-control. I've known too many people who's lives completely shitted out on them because they started taking drugs early and didn't stop. By the end of high school one of them had regular episodes of worms crawling out of his head, another had been fucked in every oriface and stopped wearing underwear, another had been sentenced to 5 years with his dad and brother, and another had been killed. And this is in white person suberbia and these were only kids I knew.

Sure, for every kid I knew that ended up like the ones above, there were two or three that smoked weed and drank since they were 13-15 and they were fine. Not very bright in most cases, but fine. But a 66% chance your kid won't end up fucking up his life as a direct result of DNA aren't odds that I like for my kid. It's amazing if your kid makes it through high school unscathed without the problems that drugs and acohol bring to the table, not to mention the actual physical damage done to the brain at that age by regular use.

Hell, even in college, my freshman roommate literally turned into a steaming pile of shit because he couldn't stop smoking weed. Even the kids who got him started wouldn't smoke with him by the end of the year because he was such a worthless douchebag. By the middle of sophmore year he stopped showering, stayed up all night because, and I quote, "I like the vampire lifestyle," and started urinating in his bed - something, I told him at the time, I was unaware vampires did.

So if my kid wants to smoke the weed, that little fucker's going to have to get a job. I don't have time to sit around in a stupor for a few hours every few days, so I can't smoke anymore. And if I ain't buying for myself, I'm sure as shit not going to finance my kid buying it.

retailguy
06-21-2006, 09:58 AM
But, Skinbasket, weed IS NOT addictive...... It's not, just ask ANYBODY... ROFLMAO.... Great Post.

Harlan Huckleby
06-21-2006, 10:08 AM
I don't think I ever finished a bag of weed in my life. No kidding. I would always get tired of being high after a week or two, and give it away. Could that be because I smoked it every day when I had it?

So for me pot is addicting in the "smoke'um if you got'um" sense. But it was so natural and effortless to stop for long periods, it's hard to think of it as a problem.

Deputy Nutz
06-21-2006, 11:04 AM
By the middle of sophmore year he stopped showering, stayed up all night because, and I quote, "I like the vampire lifestyle," and started urinating in his bed - something, I told him at the time, I was unaware vampires did.

No Shit? I wonder what color vampire piss is.

SkinBasket
06-21-2006, 11:18 AM
I don't know, but it sure as shit smelled just like regular person urine.

Harlan Huckleby
06-21-2006, 11:53 AM
did he use used tampons for tea bags?

Anti-Polar Bear
06-21-2006, 12:02 PM
I pick "What's the problem with this?"

Charles Woodson
06-21-2006, 02:00 PM
really i dont see why people like it so much. im 14 and i have some friends that go off and smoke it, they just mess themselves up, they think that people will think they are cool because of it, ive never tried it myself, never want to ethier.

Partial
06-21-2006, 02:43 PM
Tank that is sick, the kid is 14. I can understand letting them make their own choices later on, but not at 14.

BallHawk
06-21-2006, 02:45 PM
Yeah, I'm 13 and I live in Naples, FL, which is really a white person town. Few kids at my school smoke weed, but A LOT smoke cigeretes. It's really pathetic to see kids in Middle School trying to be cool by smoking. And the sad thing is they're choking over it when they're smoking it. Personally, I've never tried the stuff and never will. Over the last 10 years school's have really been cracking down on drugs and alcohol. My parent's stance on the stuff is this... Smoke or do drugs and we'll make your life hell. The strange thing though is they're not the same with alcohol. They'll let me have cocktails and wine. They'll limit the amount, though. They also let me have Smirnoff and Mike's Hard, but those things are like 4% so it basically isn't even alcohol. It doesn't effect my grades or anything, I'm in challenge and I get all A's, so they're cool about it. What really pisses me off is a kid will come into school and start bragging about how his dad let him have a bottle of Mike's Hard or something, and they think they're the shit. Personally, I drink it because it tastes good.
:mrgreen:

Anti-Polar Bear
06-21-2006, 03:10 PM
Personally, I've never tried the stuff and never will.

I said the same thing when I was 14. I was a member of the say "Say No to Drugs" club. Ray Rhodes came to our school and talked about the danger of drugs. Afterward, I promised myself I will never do drugs in my life.

I was delusional then. Doing drugs such as marijuana and coke-cain is inevitable. You will experience it one day, young man. And when you do, you will love it.

Partial
06-21-2006, 03:23 PM
you're going to be a terrible parent. You won't have to experience it if you don't want to. Many people don't.

CaptainKickass
06-21-2006, 03:38 PM
Whatever it is that a person does or doesn't do can be easily moderated by one's self by simply asking the following question prior to engaging in the aforementioned activities:

"Am I in control of it........or is it in control of me?"

You also have to have the cahones to answer honestly, and most importantly act on your answer.

You are the only one who can decide anything regardless of age, IQ, race, etc. etc. Self impowerment and introspection are the keys to living fully.

Fosco33
06-21-2006, 04:06 PM
Personally, I experimented at 15 - didn't really know the big deal at first - I liked drinking more. Had a lot of fun through college and realized that right now, I know less than 10 close friends who've never smoked weed.

If I were a parent though, other drugs would freak me out (less maybe shrooms). If I found out my kids was doing meth, coke, heroin, crack, etc. I'd take them with me on a walking tour of the downtown area and show them real crackheads and prostitutes. No one in their right mind would chose to become like that.

If my kid decided to smoke pot after 18, I'd just encourage them to be responsible - monitor their grades and all. No matter how much money I'll have, they'll be responsible for most/all of college - can't get into too much trouble if your broke. After 21, I may even smoke w/ them - why not? Almost anything, in moderation, can't be that bad... Genesis 1:12, "I have given you all the seed bearing plants on earth to use, use, use,..." LOL

pacfan
06-21-2006, 04:08 PM
Personally, I've never tried the stuff and never will.

I said the same thing when I was 14. I was a member of the say "Say No to Drugs" club. Ray Rhodes came to our school and talked about the danger of drugs. Afterward, I promised myself I will never do drugs in my life.

I was delusional then. Doing drugs such as marijuana and coke-cain is inevitable. You will experience it one day, young man. And when you do, you will love it.

This is the most retarded comment I have seen. Your sarcasm is in rare form today.

SkinBasket
06-21-2006, 04:16 PM
http://www.problogger.net/wp-content/young%20entrepreneur-tm.jpg
I said the same thing when I was 14. I was a member of the say "Say No to Drugs" club.

http://www2.jsonline.com/packer/image/ray/ray211199.jpg
Ray Rhodes came to our school and talked about the danger of drugs.

http://www.charactercounts.org/album/album-photos/CA-jpeg/CC!Wk98_pledge_Hawth_CA.jpg
Afterward, I promised myself I will never do drugs in my life.

http://www.problogger.net/wp-content/young%20entrepreneur-tm.jpg
I was delusional then.

http://www.hoghoggidyhog.com/stoner.jpg
Doing drugs such as marijuana and coke-cain is inevitable.

http://www.hoghoggidyhog.com/gbawake.jpg
You will experience it one day, young man.

http://www.harborareafarmersmarkets.org/homeless-coder.jpg
And when you do, you will love it.

Yeah, then you can "grow up" to be just like Tank. There's something to shoot for.

Tank, you are the best anti-drug message anyone could witness.

Bossman641
06-21-2006, 04:19 PM
Hahaha :mrgreen:

That was fuckin great Skin Basket

retailguy
06-21-2006, 06:45 PM

Yep, that cuts to the chase.

My hat is off to the teenagers in this forum. Good for you, stick to your decisions.

Tank, I'm on my way out the door to a ballet recital for my 9 year old daughter. I don't care what you are doing in the way of drugs, but it CANNOT match the "high" or "pride" that I feel when I watch her dance. You ought to try "immersing" yourself into something productive or unselfish.

You are wasting your life on things that are UNIMPORTANT.

Fosco33
06-21-2006, 07:35 PM

Yep, that cuts to the chase.

My hat is off to the teenagers in this forum. Good for you, stick to your decisions.

Tank, I'm on my way out the door to a ballet recital for my 9 year old daughter. I don't care what you are doing in the way of drugs, but it CANNOT match the "high" or "pride" that I feel when I watch her dance. You ought to try "immersing" yourself into something productive or unselfish.

You are wasting your life on things that are UNIMPORTANT.

Tank is a college kid - he seems to be focusing on the right things (getting a degree, maintaining a job/intership). Who cares how he spends his free time? Having a child at this age (or before your 30 or financially stable - whatever is first) or other 'productive' things seem relatively unimportant in comparison.

I'm not saying that just using drugs is a good way to spend time and I credit you and other parents for taking an active role w/ their kids. It's all about personal choice! Do whatever makes you 'high'!

Scott Campbell
06-21-2006, 08:18 PM
Tank is a college kid - he seems to be focusing on the right things (getting a degree, maintaining a job/intership). Who cares how he spends his free time? Having a child at this age (or before your 30 or financially stable - whatever is first) or other 'productive' things seem relatively unimportant in comparison.

Doing what you want with your own time is one thing, but Tank has encouraged young people in this forum to try drugs. In my mind, that crosses way over the line. I hope he's not selling anymore.

Fosco33
06-21-2006, 09:35 PM

Doing what you want with your own time is one thing, but Tank has encouraged young people in this forum to try drugs. In my mind, that crosses way over the line. I hope he's not selling anymore.

Agreed - I don't think glamorizing drug use was Tank's point (hopefully) - more that most people, at some point in their lives, will experiment with drugs/alcohol despite their current thinking. I've always had the most respect for those rare friends who never did.

To the teens here, while it may seem ultra important to 'fit-in' and impress people, realize that you'll probably keep maybe 5-10 of your high school friends a few years after leaving your hometown. Be yourself and use your head - focus on school, sports, jobs, etc and go get a degree in anything. :cool:

MJZiggy
06-21-2006, 09:36 PM
Well said, guys.

Anti-Polar Bear
06-21-2006, 10:23 PM
Folks, the force of society is far greater than the force of parenthood. If you can't stop your teenage daughter from having sex, you sure as will can't stop her from doing drugs. Remember, to be 14 is to be a teenager. Do not you remember the lusts you experience as a teenager? That lust to experience and to rebel?

May the force be with you, but the force of society defeats any parent any day. Class notes from Sociology 101. Dr. Norman Wilkinson, Ph.D. 9-16-02 :cool:

Scott Campbell
06-22-2006, 08:43 AM
Folks, the force of society is far greater than the force of parenthood. If you can't stop your teenage daughter from having sex, you sure as will can't stop her from doing drugs.

Just because you and I lack the will to control our behavior doesn't mean you have to try and justify that behavior to others. There are kids out there who can and will abstain. My hat goes off too them, and I doubt they'll reflect back on their teenage years and wish they had banged more pimply faced kids while they had the chance.

You believing everything you hear in a Sociology 101 class is worse than someone believing everything Florio writes on PFT.

Scott Campbell
06-22-2006, 08:47 AM

I don't think glamorizing drug use was Tank's point (hopefully)

Well, I guess we disagree on that Fosco.

Anti-Polar Bear
06-22-2006, 08:48 AM
You believing everything you hear in a Sociology 101 class is worse than someone believing everything Florio writes on PFT.

Show me your Ph.D. Campbell, and I'll find truth in you, too.

Scott Campbell
06-22-2006, 08:51 AM

I could care less about helping people find my truths. This is about exposing your falsehoods.

Anti-Polar Bear
06-22-2006, 08:55 AM
I could care less about helping people find my truths. This is about exposing your falsehoods.

Campbell and campbell, I believe a wise man named Woodbuck once said you are prone to taking things out of proportion. The above qoute examplifies that (pardon my spellings; i dont spell check here at work).

I am not encourging 14 years old to do drugs. I am stating that, because of the force of society, they will, more liekly than not, eventually try it. Kind of like what fosco wrote.

SkinBasket
06-22-2006, 08:57 AM

LOL. Now THAT is the dumbest thing you have ever said Tank, and that is saying alot. Congrats on a new level of ignorance!

Scott Campbell
06-22-2006, 09:05 AM
I am not encourging 14 years old to do drugs.

Doing drugs such as marijuana and coke-cain is inevitable. You will experience it one day, young man. And when you do, you will love it.

Anti-Polar Bear
06-22-2006, 09:08 AM

Doing drugs such as marijuana and coke-cain is inevitable. You will experience it one day, young man. And when you do, you will love it.

You contradict yourself.

I guess you have never experience marijuana and coke. Have you? Until you encountered that high, you have no idea what I am talking about.

Scott Campbell
06-22-2006, 09:18 AM

You contradict yourself.

I guess you have never experience marijuana and coke. Have you? Until you encountered that high, you have no idea what I am talking about.

How does that have anything to do with what we are talking about? You said you were not encouraging 14 year olds to do drugs. I say you are.

Try and stay on topic.

Deputy Nutz
06-22-2006, 09:19 AM
Yes kids, be like Tank and spell Cocain, coke-cain. I never knew that it was two words combined with a dash.

To each their own. But if a little fuck like Tank ever came sniffing around my daughter that is the last you would see of that little puke faced bastard. The fun thing is that I will have all the money I will ever need to ship my daughter or son off to some boarding school or military school if they start fucking up their lives because of the force of society. I will have nothing better to do with my life than to hound over my kids, and make sure that society doesn't come into conflict with the morals of my family.

I will also not be one of those parents with their head stuck into the sand. I know whats out their and I know about this force of society, or peer pressure. I know what drugs and alcohol feel like, I know the feelings you have when you puff on a grit infront of that really hot girl that is also smoking and you develop an imaginary bond because you thought you shared a stupid fucking moment smoking a fucking cig.

I will also not be a parent that will think that kids need to experience these things for themselves. Thats a bullshit excuse for not doing your job as a respectable parent. No you can't control every single breath your child takes, but you just letting them know if they need a ride home after toking their brains into mush, or drinking until the fucking Walrus starts to dance is not a reasonable parenting technique. Why, because when kids are "experimenting for the 45th time in high school, their judgement tends to be a little corrupted by these substances, and they fail to recognize the responsible thing to do. I know, because I did the same in high school, my parents offered me rides no questions asked, but did I take them? No, I rode with the first drunk that offered me a ride home.

I am a parent of two little ones, and I am not pig headed enough to believe that drugs and alcohol won't play a roll in their teenage years, heck I know they will probably even try them. It is my job as a parent to guide my kids through those times, with previous lessons, and present instruction and parenting. Do I think that drinking and smoking a little weed is the worst thing? No not at all. Like I said I actually expect my kids to experiment, but my kids will have the expectations that if they do these things, then their will be consequences if I find out, and like I said, I will have nothing better to do than to hound my kids, so I will find out.

Scott Campbell
06-22-2006, 10:11 AM
Tank is a college kid - he seems to be focusing on the right things (getting a degree, maintaining a job/intership).

Focus on the right things???

IMO, Tank has an unhealthy obsession with always being right no matter how moronic his position. That, and justifying his counter productive behavior. His passion for higher learning seems to have a misguided focus on searching for better and better excuses - that's his focus. That, and doing the bare minimum required to get by. See his paper on Greenspan and his thread about how to loaf off as an intern for further evidence.

I always thought part of getting a college education was supposed to include questioning yourself and your beliefs. I see no willingness from Tank to consider anyone other than himself, unless that someone happens to parrot his goofy positions. All I see is a guy who whines that the world is mean and cruel, so please excuse him while he goes and gets high. His brand of Liberalism looks more like a convenient excuse than a deeply held ideology.

Now I think he still has time to get himself turned around. But he's not 18 anymore. He doesn't have forever.

Anti-Polar Bear
06-22-2006, 10:22 AM

You contradict yourself.

How does that have anything to do with what we are talking about? You said you were not encouraging 14 year olds to do drugs. I say you are.

Try and stay on topic.

Geez, campbell, woodbuck is right when he said you need to be explained exerything.

Show me where I encourage kids to do drug?

Ask anybody who does mj or coke and they will tell you the highs are pleasurable. That's what I mean when i wrote : "And when you do, you will love it." When I wrote: Doing drugs such as marijuana and coke-cain is inevitable, i was making reference to the socity part that i post after that post.

Fosco33
06-22-2006, 10:23 AM
Tank is a college kid - he seems to be focusing on the right things (getting a degree, maintaining a job/intership).

Focus on the right things???

IMO, Tank has an unhealthy obsession with always being right no matter how moronic his position. That, and justifying his counter productive behavior. His passion for higher learning seems to have a misguided focus on searching for better and better excuses - that's his focus. That, and doing the bare minimum required to get by. See his paper on Greenspan and his thread about how to loaf off as an intern for further evidence.

I always thought part of getting a college education was supposed to include questioning yourself and your beliefs. I see no willingness from Tank to consider anyone other than himself, unless that someone happens to parrot his goofy positions. All I see is a guy who whines that the world is mean and cruel, so please excuse him while he goes and gets high. His brand of Liberalism looks more like a convenient excuse than a deeply held ideology.

Now I think he still has time to get himself turned around. But he's not 18 anymore. He doesn't have forever.

You could very well be right. My point was there are countless kids who don't have the opp to turn it around - because they just get high, join a gang, go to prison, work some shitty fast food job, pop out babies, etc. Regardless of your impression of his motives for entering college, you've got to give him credit for being there. And, regardless, maybe Tank's a guy who puts up fronts (how to slack off at work, etc.) - but without ever really meeting him it's all conjecture.

Scott Campbell
06-22-2006, 10:31 AM
Show me where I encourage kids to do drug?

You're in a tough spot on this one Tank. You can retract the blatently obvious statement and prove me right.

Or you can continue your silly dance and avoid just admitting you were wrong - proving me right about that too.

Tough call.

Scott Campbell
06-22-2006, 10:34 AM

Scott Campbell
06-22-2006, 10:38 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't you admitted to dealing in the past? I suppose that's not encouraging kids to do drugs either.

SkinBasket
06-22-2006, 10:52 AM
You could very well be right. My point was there are countless kids who don't have the opp to turn it around - because they just get high, join a gang, go to prison, work some shitty fast food job, pop out babies, etc. Regardless of your impression of his motives for entering college, you've got to give him credit for being there. And, regardless, maybe Tank's a guy who puts up fronts (how to slack off at work, etc.) - but without ever really meeting him it's all conjecture.

Actually Fosco, we don't have to give him credit for anything. If tank is anything like he pretends to be (and that is all we have to go on afterall), he is a pathetic excuse for a college student - at best.

In fact, there's a good chance that some poor fucking kid who actually wanted to learn something didn't get into that college. Maybe that person had to go work some shitty fast food job and actually work for his future, whereas tank sluffs like an old placenta spending mom and dad's money smoking weed, playing with himself on the internet, and believing he is the pinacle of human knowledge because he repeats whatever his socialist professors in PoliSci 101 and Soc 101 tell him.

In fact, my best friend has been working his ass off for 3 years now to get a premed degree while working one of those shitty fast food jobs you refer to and raising a family (or popping out babies as you say) at the same time. And you would have me believe that this fucking douchebag deserves the same credit as he does? Because he gets high and goes to college, instead of ending up in jail or fucking his cousin? You'll have to excuse me if my reaction is along the lines of whoopty-fucking-do.

I really don't give a shit about Tank. The sad thing is that it looks like not many people in his real life care either if this is where he's at in his life.

Fosco33
06-22-2006, 10:58 AM

Actually Fosco, we don't have to give him credit for anything. If tank is anything like he pretends to be (and that is all we have to go on afterall), he is a pathetic excuse for a college student - at best.

In fact, there's a good chance that some poor fucking kid who actually wanted to learn something didn't get into that college. Maybe that person had to go work some shitty fast food job and actually work for his future, whereas tank sluffs like an old placenta spending mom and dad's money smoking weed, playing with himself on the internet, and believing he is the pinacle of human knowledge because he repeats whatever his socialist professors in PoliSci 101 and Soc 101 tell him.

In fact, my best friend has been working his ass off for 3 years now to get a premed degree while working one of those shitty fast food jobs you refer to and raising a family (or popping out babies as you say) at the same time. And you would have me believe that this fucking douchebag deserves the same credit as he does? Because he gets high and goes to college, instead of ending up in jail or fucking his cousin? You'll have to excuse me if my reaction is along the lines of whoopty-fucking-do.

I really don't give a shit about Tank. The sad thing is that it looks like not many people in his real life care either if this is where he's at in his life.

Good for your best friend. I did the same throughout Madtown, graduated early and worked 80+ hours/week during the summer and paid 100% of every dime of college - and still smoked weed, graduated with high honors and had a blast.

All I'm saying is that it's a personal choice and that - as we both said - you can't really know Tank via his blurbs in an online forum. Everyone thinks college kids are grown-up, until you get out in the real world (pay rent, bills, cars, insurance, deal w/ a real job and face real consequences) - you're just that - a college kid.

Deputy Nutz
06-22-2006, 11:32 AM
Tank is the shock Jock of this forum. Spewing bullshit just to see people post. He has been proved wrong a number of times during his crusade against Ted Thomson and his support of Mike Sherman, but yet he still rants.

I thought college students were there to learn how to learn, and adapt their thoughts to new information presented to them? Tank you're not special because you go to college, getting high 6 times a day is not learning from new experiences, it is just what it is, and that is getting stoned. I never knew anyone getting smarter from getting high.

I guess I should have stated my point earlier. Enjoy getting stoned now, because life has this way of dumping responsiblity on you.

You know that pretty girl in your office? Well she just might be a wet dream to you now, but lets say you end up hooking up with her, and you really enjoy being around her, but she doesn't smoke weed? She is ok with the fact that you do it. Great, but then you spend more and more time with her, and you realize that she doesn't like being around you when you are stoned, so you stop smoking and being high around her. So you are not smoking weed regularly anymore because you are spending a hell of a lot of time with her, you actually become a couple, now you only smoke weed one or two days a week when she has to work late or she goes out with her friends. Then you two decide to move in together, and because she has the nicer apartment you move in with her, and she makes a request that you don't smoke weed in the apartment because her parents come over. So now you have to leave your domain to smoke weed. Hell your probably not even buying at this point anymore, your just puffing off your buds, and they are happy to do it because they hardly see you anymore.
Then you all decide that it is time to get married, wedding plans start up and your opinion is required. Oh shit, I forgot one part of this story, you graduate from college, congrats, but now you have to work that robot job everyday, and year round. So keep that in mind. So you have one last final party in the honor of your bachelorhood, you smoke a ton of weed and party all weekend long, you make promises to your buddies that this will never, that life will be a party, but you all see the truth sinking in, this will be one of the few times in the rest of your life where you get to cut loose, marriage brings more responsiblity, but you love this girl, and that is really what matters to you.
So your wedding day comes and passes, and instead of going to Jamiaca for your honeymoon, you go to France the most romantic country on the planet. You have wild passionate sex many times.
You come back to the states, work your robot job, and then save for the house in that nice neighborhood with the white pickett fence, so you have very little money to spend on crazy nights filled with weed and beer. Instead you have a joint savings account that is monitored very closely by your lovely wife. Guess what, you qualify for that home loan and that house is all yours, and you realize that the mortgage payment really sucks, but you are making do working that extra 15 hours a week. Your wife is happy and that is what is important.
Now she has a little suprise for you, she is pregnant, you're a bit shocked but very happy because she is happy. Now your working 70 hours a week saving for that child of yours. Sometimes late at night you step outside and take a walk around the block and you get a fimilar sent going through your nose, the neighborhood teenagers are smoking a little weed, and the memories come flooding back, but at the same time you realize you gave it all up for your wonderful life of responsibility, and you didn't even know it.
Well the magical day comes and you baby is here, and it is a wonderful little girl, and your a hit with an emotion so strong, you realize that you are her protector for life, and that you will do anything to keep her safe. You have nightmares of when she becomes a teenager and then these social pressures that you fell to in your teenage years come flooding back, and you worry, about her doing drugs and drinking and then it hits you, what happens if she gets too drunk and someone takes advantage of her, and has sex with her. Your mind explodes, and then you are dead from the overload.

MJZiggy
06-22-2006, 11:46 AM
if I find out, and like I said, I will have nothing better to do than to hound my kids, so I will find out.

Huh. I never thought of it that way before. I always just worried that I wouldn't find out.

Anti-Polar Bear
06-22-2006, 03:21 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't you admitted to dealing in the past? I suppose that's not encouraging kids to do drugs either.

I dont deal drugs, campbell. I might sell some to friends once in a while, but most of the time i just let them smoke the stuff for free. I am a mostly a buyer not a dealer.

Scott Campbell
06-22-2006, 03:31 PM
I dont deal drugs, campbell. I might sell some to friends once in a while, but most of the time i just let them smoke the stuff for free. I am a mostly a buyer not a dealer.

Fair enough. I stand corrected.

retailguy
06-22-2006, 05:29 PM
Nice reply, Nutz. That is exactly how I feel raising two little girls. APB wouldn't last five minutes in my house, and I'm confident that the "pretty" girl he works with has a father who'll boot his ass out in short order. Hopefully he's already raised his daughter to be "selective" enough to realize that time spent with Tank is not as worthwhile as time spent with someone else.

Pot smoking liberals don't typically last very long talking with fathers of "pretty" girls. Or "ugly" ones either.... :wink:

Oscar
06-22-2006, 06:46 PM
After reading all the post and reply thing with our beloved Tank..... (By the way....?? What is a liberal?? Does the word constitute a capital L?? I'm a bit confused here... Oh well..) Tank is an interesting internet character and a character is all he will ever be in my book.. Drugs are BAD news! And since Tank is the main " character" In Tank's book of drugs. It will surely have a sad ending...Another wasted education... :sad: Maby he will have a blog about his days in rehab.

Bretsky
06-22-2006, 06:58 PM
you're going to be a terrible parent. You won't have to experience it if you don't want to. Many people don't.

I've drank my share, but have never tried weed in my life. Had a lot of second hand smoke from it though when friends were doing it.

Fosco33
06-22-2006, 07:48 PM
Nothing against non drug users (as I really respect you) but in comparing alcohol and weed - no one has ever directly died from smoking too much pot as it's a non lethal drug. Of course, I'm not denying there are folks out there that indirectly died in car wrecks while being high or in other accidents. There are just so many more kids drinking than smoking that it's not a fare comparison, but there are countless young lives lost everyday from drinking/driving.

I hope when I'm a parent that my kids use better judgement with D&D that I did. Again, personal choice and moderation...

Anti-Polar Bear
06-22-2006, 07:53 PM
I really don't give a shit about Tank.

:lol: Let me guess. Jealousy? You were bullied as a kid and now feel the need to feed that anger on others? Please, mr. Stalker, if you don't "really give a shit about Tank" you would just ignore me, as I do you. :)

Anti-Polar Bear
06-22-2006, 08:19 PM
Tank is the shock Jock of this forum. Spewing bullshit just to see people post. He has been proved wrong a number of times during his crusade against Ted Thomson and his support of Mike Sherman, but yet he still rants.

I thought college students were there to learn how to learn, and adapt their thoughts to new information presented to them? Tank you're not special because you go to college, getting high 6 times a day is not learning from new experiences, it is just what it is, and that is getting stoned. I never knew anyone getting smarter from getting high.

I guess I should have stated my point earlier. Enjoy getting stoned now, because life has this way of dumping responsiblity on you.

You know that pretty girl in your office? Well she just might be a wet dream to you now, but lets say you end up hooking up with her, and you really enjoy being around her, but she doesn't smoke weed? She is ok with the fact that you do it. Great, but then you spend more and more time with her, and you realize that she doesn't like being around you when you are stoned, so you stop smoking and being high around her. So you are not smoking weed regularly anymore because you are spending a hell of a lot of time with her, you actually become a couple, now you only smoke weed one or two days a week when she has to work late or she goes out with her friends. Then you two decide to move in together, and because she has the nicer apartment you move in with her, and she makes a request that you don't smoke weed in the apartment because her parents come over. So now you have to leave your domain to smoke weed. Hell your probably not even buying at this point anymore, your just puffing off your buds, and they are happy to do it because they hardly see you anymore.
Then you all decide that it is time to get married, wedding plans start up and your opinion is required. Oh shit, I forgot one part of this story, you graduate from college, congrats, but now you have to work that robot job everyday, and year round. So keep that in mind. So you have one last final party in the honor of your bachelorhood, you smoke a ton of weed and party all weekend long, you make promises to your buddies that this will never, that life will be a party, but you all see the truth sinking in, this will be one of the few times in the rest of your life where you get to cut loose, marriage brings more responsiblity, but you love this girl, and that is really what matters to you.
So your wedding day comes and passes, and instead of going to Jamiaca for your honeymoon, you go to France the most romantic country on the planet. You have wild passionate sex many times.
You come back to the states, work your robot job, and then save for the house in that nice neighborhood with the white pickett fence, so you have very little money to spend on crazy nights filled with weed and beer. Instead you have a joint savings account that is monitored very closely by your lovely wife. Guess what, you qualify for that home loan and that house is all yours, and you realize that the mortgage payment really sucks, but you are making do working that extra 15 hours a week. Your wife is happy and that is what is important.
Now she has a little suprise for you, she is pregnant, you're a bit shocked but very happy because she is happy. Now your working 70 hours a week saving for that child of yours. Sometimes late at night you step outside and take a walk around the block and you get a fimilar sent going through your nose, the neighborhood teenagers are smoking a little weed, and the memories come flooding back, but at the same time you realize you gave it all up for your wonderful life of responsibility, and you didn't even know it.
Well the magical day comes and you baby is here, and it is a wonderful little girl, and your a hit with an emotion so strong, you realize that you are her protector for life, and that you will do anything to keep her safe. You have nightmares of when she becomes a teenager and then these social pressures that you fell to in your teenage years come flooding back, and you worry, about her doing drugs and drinking and then it hits you, what happens if she gets too drunk and someone takes advantage of her, and has sex with her. Your mind explodes, and then you are dead from the overload.

Had to force myself to read the above post, and therefore it took me this long to replay, but Nutz, you sound just like me father.

Thanks for the littel lecture, nut roll. When I am thinking about getting married, i will come back and read this again. Perhaps I will even mail you a thank you letter one day. But I am not looking to get married soon, perhaps not until 2014?

Anyway, I am sure if you keep your eyes on your daughter 24 hours a day for the rest of her life, she will remain innocent forever. I am sure she will hate it but hey, you are her father. Anyway, it aint me problem so i dont worry about it.

Best regards and best of luck on your persuit of keeping your daughter innocent,

Tank

SkinBasket
06-22-2006, 08:28 PM
I really don't give a shit about Tank.

:lol: Let me guess. Jealousy? You were bullied as a kid and now feel the need to feed that anger on others? Please, mr. Stalker, if you don't "really give a shit about Tank" you would just ignore me, as I do you. :)

I thought you didn't read my posts since they seem to present too much of a problem to your insulated and self-mastrubatory "thought" process.

I give a shit about you talking stupid about kids trying cocain - to kids, not you as a person. Please don't get the two confused.

If you are as linear and retarded (a feat in and of itself) as you've taken the time to painstakingly present yourself, then there really isn't much to care about.

GrnBay007
06-22-2006, 09:40 PM
Hmmm.....maybe my idea to post "what would you do" human interest polls was not a good idea. :razz:

It was interesting to read all the different views though.

-

Anti-Polar Bear
06-22-2006, 09:56 PM
Hmmm.....maybe my idea to post "what would you do" human interest polls was not a good idea. :razz:

-

Frailty, thy name is woman!!! :mad: :wink:

GrnBay007
06-22-2006, 10:04 PM
........just didn't want everyone fighting .........but oh well. :twisted:

-

pacfan
06-22-2006, 10:36 PM
I thought it was a good poll and thread. Its the kind of conversation people should be having. Its just that Tank has a thick skull and SC called him out (again). Nutz and skinbasket are always good reads, but for Tank's health he should avoid them in 'real life'.

Anti-Polar Bear
06-22-2006, 10:47 PM
I thought it was a good poll and thread. Its the kind of conversation people should be having. Its just that Tank has a thick skull and SC called him out (again). Nutz and skinbasket are always good reads, but for Tank's health he should avoid them in 'real life'.

Are you one of those who have never smoked weed before too? You should aviod them in 'real life,' for your health. :wink:

Bretsky
06-22-2006, 11:23 PM

Are you one of those who have never smoked weed before too? You should aviod them in 'real life,' for your health. :wink:

Yes, avoid them; they might bring you more reason. :wink:

Then again, pot serves as a cover and defense in a way. No matter how much one spews, you can always say you were just stoned when posting things.

But to imply it's futile to keep your kids away from drugs is pretty pathetic IMO.

Anti-Polar Bear
06-22-2006, 11:46 PM

Then again, pot serves as a cover and defense in a way. No matter how much one spews, you can always say you were just stoned when posting things.

But to imply it's futile to keep your kids away from drugs is pretty pathetic IMO.

Bretsky you are still a fucking virgin who is too afraid to try marijuana, so therfore you have no idea what you are talking about. Do you fucking know that marijuana is also used for medical purpose also? (dont take the f words to seriouly, please, i am just feeling the need to say it; it is not attended to insult you).

Fosco33
06-22-2006, 11:53 PM

Bretsky you are still a fucking virgin who is too afraid to try marijuana, so therfore you have no idea what you are talking about. Do you fucking know that marijuana is also used for medical purpose also? (dont take the f words to seriouly, please, i am just feeling the need to say it; it is not attended to insult you).

I advocate for the full legalization of marijuana in small quantities (under 6 oz.) and up to 4 plants. I think the med pot argument is flawed on many levels - it's just being used to try and reduce the stigma associate w/ a high class narcotic. If the gov't grew and sold weed, taxed at the same level as cigs and alcohol, a large underground drug market fueled by unnecessary, nonviolent arrests costing billions of dollars in law enforcement would be saved.

A city near where I live, West Hollywood, CA just had their city council mandate that sherrifs look the other way for personal use in the home - putting it lower in enforcement that jay walking. Generally, CA is more progressive but my guess is as Gen X and Y take over control, the US will smarten up about this futile 'drug war' and focus their efforts on more important things.

GrnBay007
06-23-2006, 12:04 AM
Small amounts of marijuana is one thing.

asking the US to "smarten up about this futile 'drug war' and focus their efforts on more important things" is just asking for gangs to completely take over.

Anti-Polar Bear
06-23-2006, 12:14 AM
asking the US to "smarten up about this futile 'drug war' and focus their efforts on more important things" is just asking for gangs to completely take over.

Imagine all the tax money gained from marijuana sales that could be used to prevent gangs completely. Your little boy wouldnt have to worry about walking alone in the dark streets of LA any more.

GrnBay007
06-23-2006, 12:29 AM
Imagine all the tax money gained from marijuana sales that could be used to prevent gangs completely. Your little boy wouldnt have to worry about walking alone in the dark streets of LA any more.

Imagine all the extra tax money your parents would be shelling out to support your ass.....I mean habit.

-

Bretsky
06-23-2006, 12:40 AM

Of course I know weed is used for med purposes; nearly everybody knows that. Maybe the fact that I haven't tried it blemishes your argument on not bothering to try to raise kids up to avoid weed ?

So since I haven't tried weed does that make me incompetent to tutor my daughters against trying it, or would it make me somewhat qualified since they can follow my example ?

Fosco33
06-23-2006, 12:50 AM
Small amounts of marijuana is one thing.

Sorry, meant the war on pot - I think almost all other recreational drugs are terrible. IMO, these other drugs should have lesser penalties, freeing up the prisons for other criminals (if the crackhead was stealing a car or robbing someone - then lock 'em up - if they were just getting their fix - give 'em a ticket and let them on their way). This money could be used for education and rehabilitation instead of incarceration.

Some '04 information....

Today, federal and state governments spend between $40 and $60 billion per year to fight the war on drugs, about ten times the amount spent in 1980 -- and billions more to keep drug felons in jail. The U.S. now has more than 318,000 people behind bars for drug-related offenses, more than the total prison populations of the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Italy, and Spain combined.

Our prison population has increased by 400 percent since 1980, while the general population has increased just 20 percent. America also now has the highest incarceration rate in the world -- 732 of every 100,000 citizens are behind bars.

The drug war has wrought the zero tolerance mindset, asset forfeiture laws, mandatory minimum sentences, and countless exceptions to criminal defense and civil liberties protections. Some sociologists blame it for much of the plight of America's inner cities. Others point out that it has corrupted law enforcement, just as alcohol prohibition did in the 1920s.

For all that sacrifice, are we at least winning?

Even by the government's own standards for success, the answer is unquestionably "no." The illicit drug trade is estimated to be worth $50 billion today ($400 billion worldwide), up from $1 billion 25 years ago.

So despite all of the money we've spent and people we've imprisoned, despite the damage done to our cities and the integrity of our criminal justice system, despite the restrictions we've allowed on our civil liberties, despite the innocent lives lost and the needless suffering we've imposed on sick people and their doctors -- despite all of this -- the drug trade isn't just thriving, it's growing. Illicit drugs are cheaper, more abundant, and of purer concentration than ever before.

Like alcohol prohibition before it, drug prohibition has failed, by every conceivable measure. Isn't it about time for America to take a hard look at its drug policy?

Harlan Huckleby
06-23-2006, 12:54 AM
So since I haven't tried weed does that make me incompetent to tutor my daughters against trying it, or would it make me somewhat qualified since they can follow my example ?

Bretsky, if your daughters follow your example they'll all be lesbians.

Deputy Nutz
06-24-2006, 05:00 PM
Tank, I have smoked more weed then you could even dream of, so I ain't speaking out of my ass on this. Trust me I wish I could keep token, at least once a night but that lovely story I told you had a lot of truth to it. Hell ya I wish weed was legal but it is not.

Let me ask you a question Tank, why do you think it is ok for my daughter to be corrupted? You mock me for trying to keep her innocent, but tell me why it is ok for me to allow her to be corrupted by sex, drugs, and alcohol at an age that she is not mature enough to handle and to make responsible choices?

Anti-Polar Bear
06-24-2006, 05:27 PM
Let me ask you a question Tank, why do you think it is ok for my daughter to be corrupted? You mock me for trying to keep her innocent, but tell me why it is ok for me to allow her to be corrupted by sex, drugs, and alcohol at an age that she is not mature enough to handle and to make responsible choices?

Look, nut roll, i dont know who the fuck your daughter is and i dont give a fuck who she is. Nobody is telling you how to raise your daughter. I was making a suggestion because, based on your post, your seem fucking worried about her turning to shit.

Let me ask you this: when you first had sex, did you tell your parents about it? How about when you first smoke pot? Drink alcohol? The only way you will know for sure if she's still your fucking innocent little girl is if you keep your eyes on her every single fucking second of the day. Unless, she got pregnant she isnt going to tell you she fucked this guy or that guy. She sure as hell is not going to tell you she smoked pot at a party. To be a teenager is to be at an age of experimentation and rebellion. Sooner or later, society, more likely than not, is going you corrupt your daughter. But then again, you can always keep your eyes on her for all eternity or force her into isolation. After all, it was your sperm that gave her life.

Hey, that is what i learned in sociology class.

Deputy Nutz
06-25-2006, 08:53 AM
You're a fucking moron Tank, I won't bother having a serious conversation with you anymore.

I guess I am the moron for trying to convience a 22 year old burner who decided to take a semester off of college to burn more weed and live in his parents basement while he dreamed of getting a band together. Tank you know nothing about responsiblity and truly nothing about parenthood, please pray that you have not or will not procreate anytime soon.

RashanGary
06-25-2006, 10:50 AM
Some damn nice posts here...

Ziggy, HH in the beginning had some short sweet ones that hit home. Nutz on how responsibility takes over was pretty much my life in a nut shell.

I do get a kick out of how much control people want to have on their kids. It is a natural response IMO. You love them so much and know how your buddys hound women and try to fuck them and leave them. Who would want that for their own daughters?

I have a few goals as a parent. They are pretty broad.

1. Be honest
2. Support my kids interests and not have them support mine
3. Love them
4. Treat them with respect, how I would want to be treated
5. Keep them safe when they cannot while putting most of the responsibility on them

For instance if my son is running on concrete I put my hand on the ground and say "this is very hard.....I hit the ground..OUCH..." He watches and takes notice. Each time I do the same but I do not tell him "NO, don't run" I just tell him the danger. Overtime, I think he's come to respect my words and advice. I once told him "yuck....icky" with soap. He decided he would eat it anyway. I wasn't about to stop him again. He found out it tasted like crap and I think he started to trust me a little. I've told him the danger of concrete many times and a few times he's fallen. Over time, he's realizing that I don't tell him things just for the hell of it. I don't force anything on him, but when I tell him somethings dangerous, I can see that he's starting to really trust me and believe me. I don't know, maybe the trust I give in him to control his own life and the honest, non exaggerated advice I give him is building a relationship where he trusts me too. I will never let him burn himself on the stove or anything, but the little cuts and scrapes caused him to have a sense of self-preservation. I think it's natural to learn what not to do.

My main goal is to only force him to do things when it is real danger. Mostly, I just give honest advice without being forcefull. He has a funny way of not wanting to get hurt. I guess we all want to keep ourselves safe. Maybe one day, he'll respect what I have to say about drugs and as much as I love my son, I'm going to give him the same respect I would want and let him make his own choices. From a young age, he's been learning that he can do whatever he wants but some things are dangerous and hurt him. I think that will carry over. If we take on all their decisions they'll never learn to make good ones for themselves. It's not our lives after all. Like skinbasket said, if they're doing drugs, they are cut off from money. Not as a punishment, but just as a way of saying "I will not support one of the few things I truely do not believe in." I think alot of things lead up to the point where they use drugs though. Mostly, I think parents trying to control their kids fucks their natural self preservation up.

If I ever found out my kid was doing cocaine or anything serious, I would seriously freak and put him in treatment because I do believe those types of substances are death waiting to happen. Somehow, I just don't think my kids are going to use drugs at all untill college and maybe they'll give it the college try but I think they, like me will care about themselves enough not to over do it..I think by not controlling them, they'll get practice taking care of themselves before college gets there so they won't be naive about dhe dangers that surround them. All I know is I can't be there every second. I hope for the best but in the end, they are in control of their own lives.

I've never punished my son, and of all the people in his life, he respects me more than anyone else. When I talk, he listens and usually takes my advice. Not because he is forced to but because he trusts me. It's touching to have that relatinship with him. I hope it lasts. Also, his common sense and good decision making is stunning to me. I don't need to be his little protector making sure he doesn't cut his foot. I'll feel out the whole drug situation and like with the concrete, I'll tell him how it can sneakly damage yoru life. In the end, it's going to be his choice because he will beable to hide it if he wants to.

Anti-Polar Bear
06-25-2006, 06:57 PM
You're a fucking moron Tank, I won't bother having a serious conversation with you anymore.

I guess I am the moron for trying to convience a 22 year old burner who decided to take a semester off of college to burn more weed and live in his parents basement while he dreamed of getting a band together. Tank you know nothing about responsiblity and truly nothing about parenthood, please pray that you have not or will not procreate anytime soon.

That was last fall. I came back to college last spring. I am registered for the fall. :)

Cant you read? I said before that i dont want to get married until 2014. I sure as hell not going to want to have a child out of wedlock.

BTW, since you smoke more weed than I could ever dream off, you are the perfect example that weed is not addictive. Are you addicted today as a volvo driving soccer dad? See, I can quit just like you when, say, Ive matured.

Scott Campbell
06-26-2006, 07:43 AM
See, I can quit just like you when, say, Ive matured.

So you're waiting for your testicles to drop and your voice to change?

Deputy Nutz
06-26-2006, 08:12 AM
That was last fall. I came back to college last spring. I am registered for the fall. :)

Cant you read? I said before that i dont want to get married until 2014. I sure as hell not going to want to have a child out of wedlock.

BTW, since you smoke more weed than I could ever dream off, you are the perfect example that weed is not addictive. Are you addicted today as a volvo driving soccer dad? See, I can quit just like you when, say, Ive matured.

I never said that weed is adictive, I just can't with good reason accept that when my daughter is 14 she is smoking weed or drinking alcohol.

You can stop smoking whenever you want. No reason that you should or shouldn't anytime soon.

I wish I currently had the money to drive a Volvo. Besides I don't think any kid of mine will be playing soccer, But you will probably see me cruising the interstates of this great nation in a mini-van taking my kids to wrestling tourney's.

MadtownPacker
06-26-2006, 11:02 AM
I cant believe I havent got in this thread yet. Great post Fosco, part of the reason why I would hate leaving my beloved Cali.

For all those buying tank's bullshit:

I posted a pic of my "stuff" on jso last season, called out tank's punk ass to show his and he shut the fuck up like the weak bitch he is. When I hit him up about it he said he was worried the FBI would come get him if he put a pic up (I know, what a fucking pussy). So when it comes to greens dont listen to his trick ass. If he gets shit Im sure it aint any good so he is not qualified to speak on this subject.

tank = studio smoker (fake)

Partial
06-26-2006, 11:12 AM
I believe Tank just got called out...

woodbuck27
06-26-2006, 11:44 AM
Here are some facts on the use of marijuana and cocaine and addiction:

M A R I J U A N A

** Marijuana - Marijuana is a green or gray mixture of dried, shredded flowers and leaves of the hemp plant Cannabis sativa. There are over 200 slang terms for marijuana including "pot," "herb," "weed," "boom," "Mary Jane," "gangster," and "chronic." It is usually smoked as a cigarette (called a joint or a nail)

** The short term effects of marijuana use include problems with memory and learning; distorted perception; difficulty in thinking and problem-solving; loss of coordination; and increased heart rate, anxiety, and panic attacks.

** Scientists have found that whether an individual has positive or negative sensations after smoking marijuana can be influenced by heredity.

Health Hazards

Effects of Marijuana on the Brain

Researchers have found that THC changes the way in which sensory information gets into and is processed by the hippocampus. The hippocampus is a component of the brain's limbic system that is crucial for learning, memory, and the integration of sensory experiences with emotions and motivations. Investigations have shown that neurons in the information processing system of the hippocampus and the activity of the nerve fibers in this region are suppressed by THC. In addition, researchers have discovered that learned behaviors, which depend on the hippocampus, also deteriorate via this mechanism.

Recent research findings also indicate that long-term use of marijuana produces changes in the brain similar to those seen after long-term use of other major drugs of abuse.

Effects on the Lungs

Someone who smokes marijuana regularly may have many of the same respiratory problems as tobacco smokers. These individuals may have daily cough and phlegm, symptoms of chronic bronchitis, and more frequent chest colds. Continuing to smoke marijuana can lead to abnormal functioning of lung tissue injured or destroyed by marijuana smoke.

Regardless of the THC content, the amount of tar inhaled by marijuana smokers and the level of carbon monoxide absorbed are three to five times greater than among tobacco smokers. This may be due to the marijuana users' inhaling more deeply and holding the smoke in the lungs and because marijuana smoke is unfiltered.

Effects on Heart Rate and Blood Pressure

Recent findings indicate that smoking marijuana while shooting up cocaine has the potential to cause severe increases in heart rate and blood pressure. In one study, experienced marijuana and cocaine users were given marijuana alone, cocaine alone, and then a combination of both. Each drug alone produced cardiovascular effects; when they were combined, the effects were greater and lasted longer. The heart rate of the subjects in the study increased 29 beats per minute with marijuana alone and 32 beats per minute with cocaine alone. When the drugs were given together, the heart rate increased by 49 beats per minute, and the increased rate persisted for a longer time. The drugs were given with the subjects sitting quietly. In normal circumstances, an individual may smoke marijuana and inject cocaine and then do something physically stressful that may significantly increase the risk of overloading the cardiovascular system.

Effects of Heavy Marijuana Use on Learning and Social Behavior

A study of college students has shown that critical skills related to attention, memory, and learning are impaired among people who use marijuana heavily, even after discontinuing its use for at least 24 hours. Researchers compared 65 "heavy users," who had smoked marijuana a median of 29 of the past 30 days, and 64 "light users," who had smoked a median of 1 of the past 30 days. After a closely monitored 19- to 24-hour period of abstinence from marijuana and other illicit drugs and alcohol, the undergraduates were given several standard tests measuring aspects of attention, memory, and learning. Compared to the light users, heavy marijuana users made more errors and had more difficulty sustaining attention, shifting attention to meet the demands of changes in the environment, and in registering, processing, and using information. These findings suggest that the greater impairment among heavy users is likely due to an alteration of brain activity produced by marijuana.

Longitudinal research on marijuana use among young people below college age indicates those who used marijuana have lower achievement than the non-users, more acceptance of deviant behavior, more delinquent behavior and aggression, greater rebelliousness, poorer relationships with parents, and more associations with delinquent and drug-using friends.

Research also shows more anger and more regressive behavior (thumb sucking, temper tantrums) in toddlers whose parents use marijuana than among the toddlers of non-using parents.

Effects on Pregnancy

Any drug of abuse can affect a mother's health during pregnancy, making it a time when expectant mothers should take special care of themselves. Drugs of abuse may interfere with proper nutrition and rest, which can affect good functioning of the immune system. Some studies have found that babies born to mothers who used marijuana during pregnancy were smaller than those born to mothers who did not use the drug. In general, smaller babies are more likely to develop health problems

A nursing mother who uses marijuana passes some of the THC to the baby in her breast milk. Research indicates that the use of marijuana by a mother during the first month of breast-feeding can impair the infant's motor development (control of muscle movement).

Addictive Potential

A drug is addicting if it causes compulsive, often uncontrollable drug craving, seeking, and use, even in the face of negative health and social consequences. Marijuana meets this criterion. More than 120,000 people enter treatment per year for their primary marijuana addiction. In addition, animal studies suggest marijuana causes physical dependence, and some people report withdrawal symptoms.

Extent of Use

Monitoring the Future Study (MTF)*

The NIDA-funded MTF provides an annual assessment of drug use among 12th, 10th, and 8th grade students and young adults nationwide. After decreasing for over a decade, marijuana use among students began to increase in the early 1990s. From 1998 to 1999, use of marijuana at least once (lifetime use) increased among 12th- and 10th-graders, continuing the trend seen in recent years. The seniors' rate of lifetime marijuana use is higher than any year since 1987, but all rates remain well below those seen in the late 1970s and early 1980s. Past year and past month marijuana use did not change significantly from 1998 to 1999 in any of the three grades, suggesting the sharp increases of recent years may be slowing. Daily marijuana use in the past month increased slightly among all three grades as well.

Teen arrests and marijuana

In six of the CEWG sites, juvenile arrestees testing positive for marijuana ranged from a low of 40.3 percent in St. Louis to a high of 63.7 percent in Phoenix. More than 50 percent of juvenile arrestees in Los Angeles, Denver, and Washington, D.C. tested positive for marijuana, and 48.9 percent in San Diego. Among all arrestees, Seattle was the only site where women were more likely than men (37.9 percent vs. 35.4 percent) to test positive for marijuana.

Marijauna Treatment and Addiction Treatment HELP LINE:

1 - 888 - 781- 7060

C O C A I N E and C R A C K

Crack and Cocaine - Cocaine is a powerfully addictive drug of abuse. Once having tried cocaine, an individual cannot predict or control the extent to which he or she will continue to use the drug.

The major routes of administration of cocaine are sniffing or snorting, injecting, and smoking (including free-base and crack cocaine). Snorting is the process of inhaling cocaine powder through the nose where it is absorbed into the bloodstream through the nasal tissues. Injecting is the act of using a needle to release the drug directly into the bloodstream. Smoking involves inhaling cocaine vapor or smoke into the lungs where absorption into the bloodstream is as rapid as by injection.

"Crack" is the street name given to cocaine that has been processed from cocaine hydrochloride to a free base for smoking. Rather than requiring the more volatile method of processing cocaine using ether, crack cocaine is processed with ammonia or sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) and water and heated to remove the hydrochloride, thus producing a form of cocaine that can be smoked. The term "crack" refers to the crackling sound heard when the mixture is smoked (heated), presumably from the sodium bicarbonate.

There is great risk whether cocaine is ingested by inhalation (snorting), injection, or smoking. It appears that compulsive cocaine use may develop even more rapidly if the substance is smoked rather than snorted. Smoking allows extremely high doses of cocaine to reach the brain very quickly and brings an intense and immediate high. The injecting drug user is at risk for transmitting or acquiring HIV infection/AIDS if needles or other injection equipment are shared.

Health Hazards

Cocaine is a strong central nervous system stimulant that interferes with the reabsorption process of dopamine, a chemical messenger associated with pleasure and movement. Dopamine is released as part of the brain's reward system and is involved in the high that characterizes cocaine consumption.

Physical effects of cocaine use include constricted peripheral blood vessels, dilated pupils, and increased temperature, heart rate, and blood pressure. The duration of cocaine's immediate euphoric effects, which include hyper-stimulation, reduced fatigue, and mental clarity, depends on the route of administration. The faster the absorption, the more intense the high. On the other hand, the faster the absorption, the shorter the duration of action. The high from snorting may last 15 to 30 minutes, while that from smoking may last 5 to 10 minutes. Increased use can reduce the period of stimulation.

Users of cocaine report feelings of restlessness, irritability, and anxiety. An appreciable tolerance to the high may be developed, and many addicts report that they seek but fail to achieve as much pleasure as they did from their first exposure. Scientific evidence suggests that the powerful neuropsychologic reinforcing property of cocaine is responsible for an individual's continued use, despite harmful physical and social consequences. In rare instances, sudden death can occur on the first use of cocaine or unexpectedly thereafter. However, there is no way to determine who is prone to sudden death.

High doses of cocaine and/or prolonged use can trigger paranoia. Smoking crack cocaine can produce a particularly aggressive paranoid behavior in users. When addicted individuals stop using cocaine, they often become depressed. This also may lead to further cocaine use to alleviate depression. Prolonged cocaine snorting can result in ulceration of the mucous membrane of the nose and can damage the nasal septum enough to cause it to collapse. Cocaine-related deaths are often a result of cardiac arrest or seizures followed by respiratory arrest.

Added Danger: Cocaethylene

When people mix cocaine and alcohol consumption, they are compounding the danger each drug poses and unknowingly forming a complex chemical experiment within their bodies. NIDA-funded researchers have found that the human liver combines cocaine and alcohol and manufactures a third substance, cocaethylene, that intensifies cocaine's euphoric effects, while possibly increasing the risk of sudden death.

Extent of Use

Monitoring the Future Study (MTF)

The MTF assesses the extent of drug use among adolescents and young adults across the country.

The proportion of high school seniors who have used cocaine at least once in their lifetimes has increased from a low of 5.9 percent in 1994 to 9.8 percent in 1999. However, this is lower than its peak of 17.3 percent in 1985. Current (past month) use of cocaine by seniors decreased from a high of 6.7 percent in 1985 to 2.6 percent in 1999. Also in 1999, 7.7 percent of 10th-graders had tried cocaine at least once, up from a low of 3.3 percent in 1992. The percentage of 8th-graders who had ever tried cocaine has increased from a low of 2.3 percent in 1991 to 4.7 percent in 1999.

Of college students 1 to 4 years beyond high school, in 1995, 3.6 percent had used cocaine within the past year, and 0.7 percent had used cocaine in the past month.

COCAINE Addiction and Treatment HELP LINE:

1 - 888 - 781 - 7060

woodbuck27
06-26-2006, 01:23 PM
I voted:
Have a 1 on 1 talk and try to reason with them about the affects of smoking pot at their age.

PackerRat members, I have some experience on this topic. I've read this thread, and setting aside the personal attacks, it's an excellent topic to discuss, if not reach a moritorium on a conclusion on.

If you read my previous post it's loaded with - Stay away from marijuana and cocaine/crack, in effect to the evidence it supplies, regarding their health and addictive effects. We havn't even gone to the damage that alcohol serves to society, but sticking to the use of Mary Jane and cocaine here goes.

Personally I have used 'the J', and I actually am able to control it on the ocassional times I smoke up with close friends. I will not use it otherwise then in a close social context and certainly (not to be a hypocrite) do not condone it's use amongst the young. I havn't used in almost a year as I choose to do so only socially and in a safe environment. I respect OUR Laws and I have never purchased dope. I only smoke marijuana when I visit my friends and it's offered in Eastern Canada -'the Maritimes'.

While in University I hung out with fella's, 20 years younger than myself from 'the Miramichi, and all of them loved to party and smoke dope. These young lad's drove it hard, and today I can report that two of them came down to disaster.

One fella - named Peter, used to get so strung out, that dope was central to his being and although he did well in school. I found out that eventually all went for naught, as he failed in his Law Practise.

Another of those Lad's, Bob, used Hashish as often as he could get it, and he died of lung cancer - after alot of heart complications, at the young age of 27 year's. I love this fella alot and his death really hurt me. This was in all respects considered honestly, a really fine person. I often have wondered if his overuse of dope contributed to his early death? Bob was a really fine young man.

I often say. We are who we hang with, but what life really comes down to, to a greater extent is moderation in all things. It is one thing to have liberal views, but wiser to be tolerant and conservative in a general approach, to living one's life. To use common sense and treat your body as a temple. Sometimes I find myself failing at that, but I do know when enough - is just that.

I moved to Montreal from my beloved Maritimes in April of last year. I have experienced tragedy and pain as a result, seeing how my Lady's daughter and grandson are getting on.

The daughter is trying to recover from addictions of alcohol and cocaine. She still has a crack head Ex boyfriend that stalks her, to gain a place to use crack and booze, till he smokes so much that he can't even recall his own name . He is the most paranoid person I have ever come across, and still he manages to try to control all around him. He has become 'the Devil' a very scary Dude.

This idiot affords his habit, at the expence of people that he steals from or otherwise rips off. He is referred to as a professional Jacker. He's dam prowd of his ability to steal, even though he has to move from time to time, as all business establishments in his current neighborhood are on the outlook for him. He has a rap sheet as long as your arm as well, but nothing can stop his need to use CRACK. One of the most highly addictive drugs readibly available, and one drug that can hook you on a first time useage basis. Anyone who would use crack has alot more trouble then what they previosly had. It's pure poison.

The grandson now 18 year's old,has been delinquent since he was 13, and today is living with Pat and I, on a conditional release from jail. Up on serious charges, of two X grand theft auto with a knife and mask, in the same evening. He was arrested with a 17 year old in possession of a stolen vehicle. The second one they succeeded in ripping off that night, because he felt. . . it was his right to 'just take - what wasn't his'. A senseless and stupidly selfish attitude.

This young fella is in shit up to his nose, and he has been given the privalege of not having to stay in jail, till his trial date set for JULY 14. I and his grandmother house, feed and generally care for him, and worry ourselves sick over his attitudes and behaviour. He continually breaks his conditions.

Like many who are are on the wrong side of the LAW, he comes from a broken home and he has always been a problem. In my view that isn't any defence for him today. Sorry about your BAD luck young man but let's deal with today.PLEASE.

He lives with his Grandmother and with me ( not his blood ) so you may get the picture.The undo stress this presents me, is out of sight difficult and I contributed 'dick all', to what he is today. Still I try to remain strong and loving. I'm trying to help him get to a better tomorrow. I'm not naive as this fella has serious issue's that demand sound psychological counseling. My experience and in that, limited wisdom is my only tool, and he will never fully respect that.

Last week I accidently discovered in his clothes, some marijuana bud and I had to (with his grandmother's support after a push on my part) - step on him. One of his conditions is to stay away from alcohol and dope/drugs. To find that shit in his possession with all he is facing was extremely trying or difficult for us. To him and his girlfriend it's no big deal. Holy Mackeral! This is the general attitude of the young and ignorant user of drugs.

How can it be right or OK for some of us on some ocassions to use dope and not for other's, is a matter of simple common sense. They are now saying that the teenage mind is still in a maturing or developmental stage. That teens are not to be expected to think as adults should. Does this make it any easier for me to deal with this young man? NO ! It's difficult, yet I hold onto this.

We have to do all we can to talk to and guide him and use OUR skills and knowledge within the LAW to protect him. That is today but what of tomorrow? We know that he is likely headed for a really tough time down the road once he must answer to his crimes. We wonder what a potential spell in the Pen will really do to help him get on track? He is now out of control and still we LOVE him and do OUR level best, not knowing what challenge awaits us.

Our trial is a daily one, as we offer him a HOME and a real break, and his behaviour slams us almost daily - in the face. His trial is on the 14th July and thereafter.

Scott Campbell
06-26-2006, 02:04 PM
Damn, that's a sad story Woody. I hope things work out.

One of the difficult things about drugs and alchohol is that you don't really know if you have an addictive personality until after your addicted. Those who abstain need not worry.

woodbuck27
06-26-2006, 02:51 PM
Damn, that's a sad story Woody. I hope things work out.

One of the difficult things about drugs and alchohol is that you don't really know if you have an addictive personality until after your addicted. Those who abstain need not worry.

Scott I could not possibly express in writing just how really sad this situation here is. Thanks for the kindness.

I have come to realize, that for alot of us. LIFE grants us ONE solid chance, and if you screw up, it's way over the top too difficult to engineer a recovery.

It really sadden's me to see a young person, flush that one chance down the toilet, and have such a rotten attitude, yet ,think he has the world by the tail.

Failed marriages really put a strain on society as far as contributing to delinquency and a recidevist crime rate, once the system punishes the offender with the burden of jail time. It becomes their school of higher learning, and how to violate innocent people more efficiently. Lock em up and they get stupid-smarter. Get better at crime. It's way too hard to even put them away for a proper punishment also and criminals know that and take advantage.

I am studying the impact of gangs in urban life, largely because of the drug culture there. Specifically related to Jamaican gangs so prevalent in Toronto, and the large problem or increase of gun crime and gun related murders.

My country allows single Mother's from Jamaica into Canada to take low paying jobs and they arrive here with two - three children, and no father influence and turn to a gang style life. The crime rate in Jamaica is out of sight compared to the rate in North America. Check it out.

There are now as recorded, a total of at least 77 gangs, alot of them Jamaican, that are tearing up the Urban districts and killing innocent people. Some politicians want to blame it on these gangs getting easy access to guns from the United States, but that is BS. It's really a mater of overhauling OUR immigration policies. A matter of better family intervention and social programs amongst the poorer class.It's a huge matter of getting the dam drugs off the streets, and the Police and Legal Establishment not concerning themselves so much, with taking down the Big Guys. If you see balls - 'kick em in the balls' - worry about the knock out punch after that.

It's so sad that we are experiencing innocents and potentially productive people being gunned down by gang thugs, competeing for the rights to shop at a downtown Toronto sporting goods store.

I'm specifically referring to the shooting of 15 year old High School student Jane Creba, while she shopped with her Family on Young St. in T.O. this past Boxing day (Dec.26) and got killed in the crossfire between rival gangs shooting at one another. It wasn't long ago the Toronto was considered one of the safest large City's in North America. The gangs are holding it's citizens hostage now, and gangs in T.O. is a major concern.

It's too easy for young people who want to use drugs, to go to dealing them on some small scale and soon expand and need the protection they assume falsely they get by operating in a gang.

One leads to two, leads to three and destruction ensue's.

MadtownPacker
06-26-2006, 07:20 PM
Thats too bad Woody. I agree that true drugs like cocaine and meth are extremely destructive and dont know many that have gotten away from it's grasp. I dont agree that weed is a gateway drug cuz the same can be said of alcohol or chocolate chip cookies. Anything is addicting if you dont have the will power to control it. I hope your family members get better.

Deputy Nutz
06-27-2006, 12:07 AM
Woody, you just killed my buzz.

Anti-Polar Bear
06-27-2006, 12:13 AM

WTF? I thought you quit. Whatever happens to setting an example for your daughter. One day she's going to say that her dady smokes pot, and she will use that as an excuse for smoking it herself. :wink:

Deputy Nutz
06-27-2006, 12:21 AM

WTF? I thought you quit. Whatever happens to setting an example for your daughter. One day she's going to say that her dady smokes pot, and she will use that as an excuse for smoking it herself. :wink:

I never said that I quit. Besides using me as an excuse is better than using her friends as an excuse. Make her think for herself.

Besides I ain't high, and I ain't even had a drink tonight.

Trust me Tank, I am out there, and I am loving every minute of it!

Anti-Polar Bear
06-27-2006, 12:29 AM
I never said that I quit. Besides using me as an excuse is better than using her friends as an excuse. Make her think for herself.

It is more likely her firends will influence her to smoke weed, but you will be her excuse for smoking it.

MJZiggy
06-27-2006, 07:01 AM
Trust me Tank, I am out there, and I am loving every minute of it!

He's never gonna get that part. Too bad he'll never know what he's missing.