PDA

View Full Version : Winners and Losers

MJZiggy
09-14-2008, 08:18 PM
Here it is, folks, We have a new author (Nutz is taking on another PackerRats adventure--stay tuned for details).

Winners and Losers - Week 2

by Vince Credemax

In this roller coaster game of significant ups and downs...READ MORE (http://www.packerrats.com)

falco
09-14-2008, 08:20 PM
this article sucks :x

MJZiggy
09-14-2008, 08:23 PM
Care to elaborate?

falco
09-14-2008, 08:26 PM
poor grammar, meandering themes, and a generally dismal third act contributes to this piece being an affront to modern literature

no seriously, i was making a joke since nutz singled out t-will for a drubbing

i will concede it was not his best performance

Pacopete4
09-14-2008, 08:27 PM
I thought it was pretty well written and spoke greatly of how the game played out.. I think Bush shoulda been on the Losers though basically cuz of his penalty and when is he not a loser? haha

MJZiggy
09-14-2008, 08:27 PM
That's not Nutz, dear...

falco
09-14-2008, 08:28 PM
That's not Nutz, dear...

oh

Partial
09-14-2008, 08:34 PM
check the style sheet.

boiga
09-14-2008, 08:56 PM
Great writeup. I agree with all the points made.

Although, I'd like to add a couple, if I could.

Winners:

Jordy Nelson: His first career NFL catch is a long TD in which he beat the CB at the line. Hopefully, this is a sign of many good things to come.

Nick Collins: We all knew that Chuck can get his hands on the ball. Collins had more to prove. His interception may have been an afterthought, but it's good to see he can make a play, especially considering Rouse's poor showing coming in for Bigby.

Losers:

Special Teams: In general we had a poor day for special teams. Numerous missed tackles and penalties led to a starting position disadvantage for our offense. After a great showing against the Vikings, out ST need to prove they can consistently win their third of the game.

pbmax
09-14-2008, 08:56 PM
Frost deserved the mention on the downside but it wasn't an easy catch. It was high and might have been reachable only with a jump. Should have been caught - Yes. Perfect snap? No.

oregonpackfan
09-14-2008, 08:58 PM
Aaron Rodgers has had two incredible starts not only for this year but for his NFL career. He is impressive in so many ways--passing, mobility, elusiveness, poise, leadership, etc.

His performance reinforces the argument that a rookie quarterback needs to sit on the bench for 2-3 years before assuming a starting position. If Rodgers were placed in a starting position as a rookie, he would be unlikely to be performing at the high level he has shown the past two games.

pbmax
09-14-2008, 09:00 PM
One other thing. Of all the bad things that could have happened with that botch, a safety isn't the worst. A hurried shanked punt or a recovery by the Lions in the zone gives them an immediate TD. The safety is five points better with a field position penalty.

Partial
09-14-2008, 09:00 PM
Aaron Rodgers has had two incredible starts not only for this year but for his NFL career. He is impressive in so many ways--passing, mobility, elusiveness, poise, leadership, etc.

His performance reinforces the argument that a rookie quarterback needs to sit on the bench for 2-3 years before assuming a starting position. If Rodgers were placed in a starting position as a rookie, he would be unlikely to be performing at the high level he has shown the past two games.

Without a doubt. He looked like a dear in headlights the first pre-season. Now that he is calm, collected, and confident he looks great. I see many teams following in the Packers footsteps. Unfortunately, in the salary cap era its tough to have a high first rounder sit on the bench with a high salary.

pbmax
09-14-2008, 09:17 PM
Woodson should also get dinged for Calvin Johnson's first TD. He got beat inside on a slant.

And watching the replays, Rouse has some work to do. I can see exactly what the coaches mean by his bad angles.

NFL.com Extended Hightslights (or, if you prefer, Highlights) (http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80acca9b)

Partial
09-14-2008, 09:34 PM
Woodson should also get dinged for Calvin Johnson's first TD. He got beat inside on a slant.

And watching the replays, Rouse has some work to do. I can see exactly what the coaches mean by his bad angles.

NFL.com Extended Hightslights (http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80acca9b)

highslights eh... is that a prentious way of delivering an insult? Perhaps a backhanded compliment :lol: "AJ Hawk played great... for an average linebacker!" "Ryan Grant is a good player... in the rare times that he's healthy!"

boiga
09-14-2008, 09:37 PM
Woodson should also get dinged for Calvin Johnson's first TD. He got beat inside on a slant. Yup. he was actually quoted in one of the articles about how he should have kept running and not leaped for the ball and how that was one of the plays that keep him up at night.

I also agree on rouse. He was in position to stop both of Calvin Johnson's TD's tonight. On the one Wood gave up, he assumed Woodson had it covered and gave up on the play. On Tramon's he took a really bad route. For that reason, the middle of the field became much less secure after Bigby left the game.

pbmax
09-14-2008, 10:10 PM
Exactly. And its up to the viewer to decide who I am slighting.

NFL.com Extended Hightslights (http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80acca9b)

highslights eh... is that a prentious way of delivering an insult? Perhaps a backhanded compliment :lol: "AJ Hawk played great... for an average linebacker!" "Ryan Grant is a good player... in the rare times that he's healthy!"

Scott Campbell
09-14-2008, 10:32 PM
Excellent job Vince. Way to carry the tradition torch!

HarveyWallbangers
09-14-2008, 10:50 PM
I don't have much argument with the list.

James Jones probably could go on the loser's list. He had at least 3 balls hit his hands that he didn't hang onto.

oregonpackfan
09-14-2008, 11:24 PM
I don't have much argument with the list.

James Jones probably could go on the loser's list. He had at least 3 balls hit his hands that he didn't hang onto.

I was also disappointed in Jones. Being sure-handed in his pass-catching abilities is one of his trademarks. He looked very pedestrian today.

Driver also had a couple of passes bounce off his hands.

Noodle
09-14-2008, 11:26 PM
He didn't have end-of-game heroics, but Mason Crosby deserves some love. He's booming his kickoffs, with 5 touchbacks already this year, and he drilled the FG to get the Pack back in the lead in the 4th.

One other good thing about Rogers -- leadership. After BJack dropped an easy completion that would have kept the Crosby field-goad drive alive, they showed Rogers on the sideline giving BJack a little fist bump (or terrorist salute or whatever). Just a little love for the guy. No big surprise, then, when BJack goes crazy after the first Woodson pick with a strong run for a first and then the clinching TD.

Scott Campbell
09-14-2008, 11:26 PM
I've seen enough drops from Jones to change my mind about his great hands. He's got decent hands, but he's dropped too many now to cling to the great hands label.

boiga
09-14-2008, 11:52 PM
I was also disappointed in Jones. Being sure-handed in his pass-catching abilities is one of his trademarks. He looked very pedestrian today.

Driver also had a couple of passes bounce off his hands. Jones problem can be that he sometimes focuses on running before catching the ball. He just needs to slow down and concentrate on each step at a time.

Still, a loser he is not. He helped us pick up a couple of vital first downs and you had to love how he picked off Jennings' TD.

Harlan Huckleby
09-15-2008, 12:01 AM
I've been driving the Jones is Overrated Bandwagon for about a year now.

Just like the old saying, looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane. He doesn't have good hands or adjustment to the ball.

I guess he did make one nice catch today, scooping up a low pass.

mission
09-15-2008, 02:30 AM
Great article. I agree completely... Few thoughts...

I think Jones has to be left off because he made a few big catches... one of the TD, a couple key 3rd down conversations also.

Crosby is Mr Consistency.

Jenkings was a beast all day. Im surprised his numbers were so low and agree that he was a STUD despite them... he seemed to be in the backfield every play, getting in the way of shit.

Kampmen is relentless. We know this but man... never stops.

We need Ryan Grant to be a bigger factor. The holdout cost him a lot and ultimately, he will probably underperform his incentive stuff this year. I want to see more Lumpkin just in case. The guy looks electric.

@ Noodle: I remember after one of the first preseason games, a few of us (myself included) were going on about a couple of A-Rod's reactions to dropped passes or whatever and that he has to be the rock, accountable, not show emotion like that etc ...whether it was MM taking are of that or just Rodgers seeing himself on tape and knowing that's not in his "leadership books" is trivial... he seems to really be stepping up into that leadership role. If there's anything that's surprised me about Rodgers at this stage, it's that. I thought it would take him a little while longer to (seemingly) be in complete control.

sheepshead
09-15-2008, 07:56 AM
He rips Clifton for one play Geez. Also guys dont play "minutes" in the NFL--try the Bucks board.

texaspackerbacker
09-15-2008, 11:08 AM
Talking about losers when it's a team sport, and the team wins, is kinda silly.

Some players didn't do as well as they usually do/shoulda done/whatever. In some cases, there are obvious reasons--Grant's injury. In others, maybe just a bad day--or really, a few bad plays. Tramon Williams messed up a few times; Rouse had bad plays; The O Line was off its game.

The bottom line is: we WON!

The other bottom line is that the Lions may not be as bad as people think. Those pass receivers are as good as any team in the NFL, and I heard Phil Simms say he was expecting the Lions defense to be much improved this season--of course, Simms has never been the sharpest knife in the drawer.

SkinBasket
09-15-2008, 11:56 AM

Yeah. The team was the picture of perfection. Beyond reproach. Godlike.

mission
09-15-2008, 12:01 PM

Cuz you know MM is like "hey, fuck the film guys, we won, we're all winners. We have nothing to improve on this week. Let's not get all silly now and single anyone out"

:lol:

mmmdk
09-15-2008, 03:51 PM
Pretty, pretty, pretty good read!

red
09-15-2008, 05:35 PM
spot on article IMO

texaspackerbacker
09-15-2008, 07:22 PM

Cuz you know MM is like "hey, fuck the film guys, we won, we're all winners. We have nothing to improve on this week. Let's not get all silly now and single anyone out"

:lol:

OK, Point Taken. I didn't really mean it that way.

Besides, there's a huge difference between the way we fans look at it/should look at it, and the way McCarthy deals with players in practice.

There obviously were a whole lot of players and position groups that were way short of perfect. However, I still wouldn't call them "losers" after a 23 point win. Come to think of it, I highly doubt McCarthy points at any individuals and says "loser".

MJZiggy
09-15-2008, 08:49 PM
But if we didn't have some winners and some losers, then the thread title would just be stupid.

Joemailman
09-15-2008, 09:27 PM
Contributors vs. Slackers.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-15-2008, 09:53 PM
"You guys are all winners, give yourself a round of applause...now who wants ice cream!!"

mission
09-15-2008, 11:01 PM
Yeah I didnt know football had gotten so PC lol