PDA

View Full Version : Joey Harrington Waits for his next NFL call

oregonpackfan
09-14-2008, 08:50 PM
Today's local paper had an excellent article about Joey Harrington sitting in Atlanta waiting for a phone call from an NFL team needing a veteran quarterback.

The article chronicles his brilliant college career and his ensuing NFL placement with poor teams---Detroit, Miami, and Atlanta.

It also discusses the controversy of starting a rookie quarterback on a weak team. Does it seriously impair the development and long-term career of that rookie or does it help that rookie gain experience through "hard knocks?"

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/tailgate/index.ssf?/base/sports/122127091462650.xml&coll=7

Badgerinmaine
09-14-2008, 09:33 PM
It can go either way. Peyton Manning started as a rookie and got clocked--I think the Colts were 1-15 his first year-- but has been terrific ever since. On the other hand, look at Joey Harrington, Tim Couch and Alex Smith and how much they've struggled after enormous expectations. In general, I think it doesn't tend to work to throw a rookie QB at this level to the wolves. I think Harrington could help the right team in the right situation if his confidence isn't shot.

Partial
09-14-2008, 09:36 PM
Any idea what Akili is up to these days?

Badgerinmaine
09-14-2008, 09:41 PM
Any idea what Akili is up to these days?

Boy, there's another one...last I heard, he was playing for the Calgary Stampeders in the Canadian Football League.

cpk1994
09-14-2008, 09:59 PM
Somewhere(probably in his mothers basement) Tank is crying about the suffering of his man.

Pacopete4
09-14-2008, 10:15 PM
I hope Joey gets another call and a shot to stick with someone for awhile.. the guy seemed like a quality guy that just got sucked into the NFL's black hole call the Detroit Lions

Harlan Huckleby
09-15-2008, 12:04 AM
He has a decent arm and he is tough.

I think all those tv stories about him being a piano player wrecked his reputation.