PDA

View Full Version : Ref admits he blew the Chargers/Broncos game

Brando19
09-14-2008, 09:21 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/09/14/turner-says-hochuli-error-not-acceptable/
Throwing caution (and possibly some of his own spending money) to the wind, Chargers coach Norv Turner has publicly criticized the mistake made by referee Ed Hochuli that was directly responsible for dropping San Diego to 0-2.

“It was clearly a fumble,” Turner said after the game. “Ed came over to me . . . and said he blew it. And that’s not to me acceptable.”

It wasn’t nearly as direct or forceful as former Saints coach Jim Haslett’s “chicken sh-t” rant from a couple of year ago, but it likely will get Turner fined.

Our full-blown take on the incident is coming as part of our Ten-Pack for SportingNews.com, which should be live fairly soon.

ND72
09-14-2008, 09:48 PM
It was a big time blown call, and personally have hated that instant replay process. There was a CLEAR recovery, ball should be rewarded to the team that has a clear recovery.

BallHawk
09-14-2008, 09:50 PM
It was a big time blown call, and personally have hated that instant replay process. There was a CLEAR recovery, ball should be rewarded to the team that has a clear recovery.

Agreed. The idea of instant replay is to correct human error. Yet, you can only correct it if the whistle wasn't blown (which is human error in itself)? It's just ridiculous.

Good thing the Broncos always suck it up in the playoffs.

Pacopete4
09-14-2008, 09:50 PM

Oh if sports only worked that way... NOT

Blown calls are apart of sports and ya, it really does blow but it also has made some great history in a lot of sports... we are no babied by instant replay and all that other shit... tough luck SD, you're D shoulda stood up and stopped em not once but TWICE... sick of those whiners

ND72
09-14-2008, 09:51 PM
not whinning...but if you're going to use instant replay in place of human error, then you better get it correct and reward the proper play & call.

Pacopete4
09-14-2008, 09:53 PM
not whinning...but if you're going to use instant replay in place of human error, then you better get it correct and reward the proper play & call.

the point is u cant when the whistle blows... tough loss... big deal but I'd bitch out my shitty defense before I even thought about the refs

BallHawk
09-14-2008, 09:58 PM
not whinning...but if you're going to use instant replay in place of human error, then you better get it correct and reward the proper play & call.the point is u cant when the whistle blows

Yeah, that's understood. But what's the point of that? Ok, the whistle was blown.....but it was blown in error. Why can't we look at the play and say "OK, that was a fumble, it was recovered, Chargers get the ball at the spot of the fumble."?

boiga
09-14-2008, 10:19 PM
not whinning...but if you're going to use instant replay in place of human error, then you better get it correct and reward the proper play & call.the point is u cant when the whistle blows

Yeah, that's understood. But what's the point of that? Ok, the whistle was blown.....but it was blown in error. Why can't we look at the play and say "OK, that was a fumble, it was recovered, Chargers get the ball at the spot of the fumble."? Because after the whistle is blown, the play is dead. That is the signal to the players that they stop playing.

If one side follows that logic and doesn't make a go at a loose ball because the ref told him to stop, and therefore the other side picks the ball up, is that still a valid fumble recovery?

Also, what kind of precedent does it send to the players that the whistle can be overturned on review? That means that they should keep struggling after the whistle because who knows if they might come up with the ball in the end. That kind of thinking leads to late hits, fights, and injuries.

The whistle has to be taken as the law... but the refs should make damn sure that if there is any chance the play is still alive, they have to let it run.

gioreeko
09-14-2008, 10:33 PM
Ed Hochuli also said that he didn't blow the whistle, but he was exhaling hard while trying to pump his arms up for his next tv appearance! Roid tests for the refs!!!!!!

Scott Campbell
09-14-2008, 10:36 PM

the point is u cant when the whistle blows... tough loss... big deal but I'd bitch out my shitty defense before I even thought about the refs

Tough talk because your team happened to win. And I bet you'd be crying like a baby if the Packers had been the team screwed.

The Gunshooter
09-14-2008, 10:51 PM
So let me get this straight. If a runner breaks into the open field and is running for a obvious touchdown and one of the refs blows his whistle the play is dead? That is the dumbest rule I ever heard. Since when can't people use reasoning? If refs are that stupid let's just get some computers to ref the games.

That had to be one of the stupidest things I ever saw in my life.

boiga
09-14-2008, 11:46 PM
So let me get this straight. If a runner breaks into the open field and is running for a obvious touchdown and one of the refs blows his whistle the play is dead? That is the dumbest rule I ever heard. Since when can't people use reasoning? If refs are that stupid let's just get some computers to ref the games.

That had to be one of the stupidest things I ever saw in my life. Very much so, especially if there is the possibility he was down by contact at some point, had his forward momentum stopped, or stepped out of bounds at some point. Even if review shows that his knee wasn't down or he didn't step out, the whistle still means there is no TD.

It's a necessary tool for the refs to stop late hits on immobile sitting duck players. Sure refs screw one up a couple of times a year, but that whistle saves lives.

Pacopete4
09-15-2008, 12:40 AM

Tough talk because your team happened to win. And I bet you'd be crying like a baby if the Packers had been the team screwed.

Tough talk?.. My team?.... you're clueless...

SD had two chances to stop Denver from getting in the endzone and failed.. they have themselves to blame on those two plays and no one else..

The Gunshooter
09-15-2008, 07:51 AM

That had to be one of the stupidest things I ever saw in my life. Very much so, especially if there is the possibility he was down by contact at some point, had his forward momentum stopped, or stepped out of bounds at some point. Even if review shows that his knee wasn't down or he didn't step out, the whistle still means there is no TD.

It's a necessary tool for the refs to stop late hits on immobile sitting duck players. Sure refs screw one up a couple of times a year, but that whistle saves lives.

This has nothing to do with protecting players. It has to do with legislating the circumstances where common sense and reasoning is not allowed. It basically makes the rules themselves decide the outcome of games. It reminds me of the idiot allowed to play with no ligaments in his knee while others are banned for drug use. It's just another master/slave relationship.

boiga
09-15-2008, 11:10 AM
This has nothing to do with protecting players. It has to do with legislating the circumstances where common sense and reasoning is not allowed. It basically makes the rules themselves decide the outcome of games. It reminds me of the idiot allowed to play with no ligaments in his knee while others are banned for drug use. It's just another master/slave relationship.

The rules always decide the game. That's what makes it a game. Whether it's the enforced standards on PI, the the requirements for a complete pass, or heck even the arbitrary standard of 10 yards for a 1st down.

This is one rule that they can't change because the side effects (late hits on QB's, continuation of play after every incomplete pass, etc) would be worse than the problem they would be meant to fix.

Scott Campbell
09-15-2008, 07:58 PM

Tough talk?.. My team?.... you're clueless...

SD had two chances to stop Denver from getting in the endzone and failed.. they have themselves to blame on those two plays and no one else..

The NFL has spoken.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3589407

NFL to give Hochuli lower grades after call in Chargers-Broncos game

Associated Press

Updated: September 15, 2008, 7:53 PM ET

* Comment
* Email
* Print

NEW YORK -- Ed Hochuli's acknowledgement that he erred on a call late in Sunday's San Diego Chargers-Denver Broncos game will mean lower grades for one of the NFL's highest-profile referees.

"Officials are held accountable for their calls. They are graded on every play of every game," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said Monday. "Ed has been an outstanding official for many years, but he will be marked down for this call. Under our evaluation system, an official's grades impact his status for potentially working the playoffs and ultimately whether or not he is retained."

The play occurred with the Broncos at the Chargers' 1-yard line in the final minute. Denver quarterback Jay Cutler dropped back to pass, and the ball slipped out of his hands, bounced off the grass and into the arms of San Diego linebacker Tim Dobbins.

Hochuli ruled it an incomplete pass. Replay ruled it a fumble, but it was spotted at the 10-yard line, where the ball hit the ground, and given to Denver because the rules did not permit possession to be awarded to San Diego because the whistle had blown.

Denver went on to score, convert a two-point conversion and win 39-38.

The play is also likely to be reviewed in the offseason by the league's competition committee, which normally reviews all controversial plays.

"It's going to require a great deal of discussion," said Titans coach Jeff Fisher, the cochairman of the competition committee. "It's happened at times. It happened in a game against us at Indianapolis years ago. ... When the whistle blows and the pass is ruled incomplete, there's just no way currently that you can award possession."

[+] Enlarge
Ed Hochuli

Jimmy DeFlippo/US Presswire

The NFL will give longtime official Ed Hochuli lower grades after he admitted botching a call late in the Chargers-Broncos game.

For example, until March 2007, down-by-contact plays were not reviewable. That rule was changed so that they were reviewable, and if a fumble occurred even after the whistle blew, the team recovering it got possession

San Diego coach Norv Turner said he spoke with NFL officials Monday and that the Chargers sent in video of the plays in question.

"As for things that occurred during the game, in my mind, they're done," Turner said. "We sent the plays in to the league that we had in question. We expect to get a response back. Anything that we talk about or anything that is discussed in terms of any of the rules or any of the calls isn't going to change the outcome of that game. That game is going to be 39-38, forever."

Denver coach Mike Shanahan said honest mistakes always happen in the NFL.

"This was the best crew that we have had in the last 20 crews I have graded," Shanahan said. "They did a heck of a job. Every game that you see that is within a point or a field goal over the last couple years, it may be a call or a non-call that wasn't right, but that is the nature of this game. You have to find a way to win.

"We still had the ball at third-and-10 and had to get it into the end zone. Third-and-10 and then fourth-and-4. We still had to make a two-point conversion," Shanahan said. "It wasn't like somebody gave us the touchdown. You have to go out there and still get it done."

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones wasn't surprised that Hochuli was involved.

"That particular official gets a lot of criticism. He's a highly criticized official in the NFL," Jones said.

"Nothing can be done," he said. "I understand that after that whistle blows, you can't speculate, 'Well, did everybody get the best shot at recovering the ball if some of them heard the whistle and some of them didn't?'"

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press