PDA

View Full Version : Really getting sick of all the bullshit

Partial
09-14-2008, 09:22 PM
I have had it up to *here* with all the bullcrap going around in here lately.

Everyone here has been wrong before. Countless times. In all walks of life.

It's complete and utter bullshit with the selective quoting, name calling, and ganging up on people trying to put others down.

Do you think anyone here isn't absolutely ecstatic that Aaron is playing well? Do you think those people who claimed that Aaron would suck don't realize that he is off to a great start and aren't ecstatic about it? Is it really necessary to gang up on them and throw it in their faces?!?

This place used to be a really nice community where sharing opinions and getting into the fray was encouraged and you wouldn't have to worry about being wrong - because it was better to speak up and join the fun then it is to sit on the sidelines and lurk. Nowadays having an opinion and speaking up seems to cause nothing but controversy, selective quoting, ganging-up on members, etc. I for one am sick of it and

All this Favre couldn't do this, or Favre didn't do that, or I'm happy we don't have any interceptions, blah blah blah, just to stir people up is absolute crap. Who cares? Favre is a legendary player. Aaron has played two great games. Here's hoping we're lucky and he consistently plays great. Let it go. Who cares? Why is Favre even brought up in any matter short of "boy, what a great player he was for us" and "what a joy he was to watch".

There's a very big difference between standing up for a player and slamming a poster. The good, veteran posters are becoming rarer and rarer around here and as the mods have alluded to several times now it is because of a few bad apples ruining the fun.

I hope everyone who reads this asks themselves what they can do to make this place a better community instead of pointing finger - everyone here has wronged someone at one point or another. The past should be in the past. Everyone who has voiced a few opinions has had a neon hawkins moment or two. Instead of sarcastically/disrespectfully calling them out on it, why not laugh about it and say "hahahaha at least you were man or women enough to have commit something and put it in writing".

At the end of the day this is a place to relax, have fun, and discuss football. Not a place to put down others and try to be the biggest, baddest, smartest person around.

BallHawk
09-14-2008, 09:25 PM
Out of your 11,824 posts this is the best one so far.

Amen.

gbgary
09-14-2008, 09:26 PM
:tup:

Brando19
09-14-2008, 09:27 PM
Agreed....we can all...definitely including myself...do better.

RashanGary
09-14-2008, 09:28 PM
Haha, yeah, all of the Thompson supporters are to blame :) :)

One side is evil, the other good. Classic, Partial.

Partial
09-14-2008, 09:30 PM

You do realize that posts like this are the primary problem, and not the solution, right? At no point did I mention TT or anything related to that? Where did I blame anyone? Get your facts straight and clean up your act. The whole sarcastic attitude thing has grown very stale in my opinion.

boiga
09-14-2008, 09:33 PM
I agree Partial.

Lurker64
09-14-2008, 09:33 PM
As the biggest, baddest, smartest person around I agree with Partial. You all can stop trying, ;).

Seriously though, I agree with the initial post 100%. There's too much "I told you so" bullshit. There's always been a little of it, but it used to be all in fun and it's not that way anymore.

bobblehead
09-14-2008, 09:34 PM

You do realize that posts like this are the primary problem, and not the solution, right? At no point did I mention TT or anything related to that? Where did I blame anyone? Get your facts straight and clean up your act. The whole sarcastic attitude thing has grown very stale in my opinion.

Well....you do have a picture of TT with a serpent head imposed. :oops:

Partial
09-14-2008, 09:35 PM

Well....you do have a picture of TT with a serpent head imposed. :oops:

He's the slippery sidewinder, a snake in the grass! :lol:

RashanGary
09-14-2008, 09:35 PM
What I'm finding here is that criticism to Favre really hits people square in their heart. He's a big part of peoples lives and in a very personal way, who they are. It's like sitting here and ripping Jesus Christ. Even if Jesus were not the son of god and you had reasons to believe it, it really wouldn't serve much good to sit here and debate it. I'm sure it would just blow up and Christians would feel personally insulted to the point that they would not want to be here.

Zool
09-14-2008, 09:38 PM
While I will agree that JH is being an ass here just to be an ass(his MO), you did specifically mention the anti-Favre sentiments in your OP while at no time mentioning anti-Thompson posts.

Lurker64
09-14-2008, 09:44 PM
What really, really, really needs to stop is this Farve v. Rodgers comparison. Sure, we'd like to be able to compare the two to tell if the Packers really made the right call this summer, but we don't have anything close to laboratory conditions under which to compare them.

No matter what happens on the field, we won't have a conclusive answer. if Rodgers does better this year it's because he's with a more talented team and didn't have to learn a new system. IF Favre wins more games this year it's because he plays an easier schedule. Rodgers and Favre are not making the same throws in the same situations against the same defenses. So we should really stop comparing them.

If you really want to know if the Packers made the right call in going with Rodgers, wait until Favre has finally retired for good and we have enough data on Rodgers to really write the book on him as an NFL QB. Right now it's just pointless chest thumping.

RashanGary
09-14-2008, 09:44 PM
Goodnight everyone.

Sheesh, I can't believe how personal this thing got. I'm here havin' fun, takin' punches and throwing'em back. The whole debate thing has a compelling competitive nature to it that I can't resist. I'm pretty proud that Partial has to bring up 3 year old conversations to show examples of me bring wrong. I take pride in improving.

RashanGary
09-14-2008, 09:47 PM
While I will agree that JH is being an ass here just to be an ass(his MO), you did specifically mention the anti-Favre sentiments in your OP while at no time mentioning anti-Thompson posts.

I'm not being an ass. I felt like he took a passive-aggressive shot. People who are direct are far less hurtfull and destructive than those who passive-aggressively pry.

Zool
09-14-2008, 09:49 PM

I'm not being an ass. I felt like he took a passive-aggressive shot. People who are direct are far less hurtfull and destructive than those who passive-aggressively pry.

Any time someone makes a remark about people who make remarks about Favre, you take it to heart. If he doesn't call you out specifically, its not needed. I think that might be the point you've been failing to get for months now.

Posters here are combative by default now. Its wearing on everyone. Its getting very old.

RashanGary
09-14-2008, 09:50 PM
And for the record, I feel like I just got baited into fighting back.

First he only mentions the anti-Favre rhetoric
2nd he only mentions things I was wrong on 3 years ago as examples (completely separate for Favre rhetoric. I was the only Neon Hawkins guy here)
3rd he just got out of a debate with me that he lost so he's probably trying to get me back by making me look bad

4th it didn't work, Partial. People see right through you.

HarveyWallbangers
09-14-2008, 09:53 PM
Seriously, the point of this thread would be good--if it weren't Partial making it.

RashanGary
09-14-2008, 09:55 PM
Seriously, the point of this thread would be good--if it weren't Partial making it.

No shit, and after the heated discussions Parital and I have had the last month or so I'd say the Neon Hawkins example was a pretty shitty way to start a "lets love each other" thread. Seems pretty incincere to call out all of the people you're argueing with as hurting the forum (in these completely random but convenient examples) and then talk about how we should all work together to make it better. Yeah, great ice breaker. Way to pull everyone together.

I'll drop the shit too. I don't even want to hurt people here. I like the people here, even the ones I fight with, sometimes I like them more than the ones I don't talk to. GBR for example has really grown on me and I should probably not be a shit head because it probably looks like I'm a real shit head.

HarveyWallbangers
09-14-2008, 10:47 PM
There's really no need at this point. Everybody knows where other people stand.

Hell, we all know Bretsky is going to be wrong on 90% of these things. I just position myself to have the opposite view of his.
:D

BallHawk
09-14-2008, 10:59 PM
There's really no need at this point. Everybody knows where other people stand.

Hell, we all know Bretsky is going to be wrong on 90% of these things. I just position myself to have the opposite view of his.
:D

Sounds like what I do with PackerPro......

Scott Campbell
09-14-2008, 11:10 PM
You do realize that posts like this are the primary problem, and not the solution, right?

Change "posts" to read "threads", and I'll agree. I think this sort of extreme response thread isn't particularly helpful to the overall ambiance of the forum.

And calling out somebody who was right, presumably because you are unable to handle being wrong - might be the biggest bullshit of all.

Scott Campbell
09-14-2008, 11:12 PM

Scott Campbell
09-14-2008, 11:15 PM
No matter what happens on the field, we won't have a conclusive answer.

I respectfully disagree. The Niners learned they made the right move in letting Montana go. It's about as conclusive as anyone would need.

If we thrive without Brett, it'll be viewed as the right move by Ted and MM. If we struggle because of shoddy QB play, then it'll be viewed as the wrong move. The early returns look promising. But it's still too early for a final answer.

Harlan Huckleby
09-14-2008, 11:29 PM
For every harsh or offensive post, there are 10 more to discuss the problem of harsh or offensive posts.

Scott Campbell
09-14-2008, 11:33 PM
For every harsh or offensive post, there are 10 more to discuss the problem of harsh or offensive posts.

And Harlan's makes 11. :lol:

I guess that was my point in saying don't start the damned thread in the first place - if you're really trying to stop it.

Jimx29
09-15-2008, 12:35 AM
First step to getting things nicer around here is for the mods to start cracking down on people flaming/baiting/ etc... anyone else's post(s)/thread(s) no matter what the content is about, and to start deleting threads before they blow up into a free-for-all. A PMd warning for first time, 1 week ban for second offense, and perma-ban for the third offense is plenty enough to get people to be civil.
I belong and/or have belonged to numerous forums over the past ten+ years, and most (the successful ones) simply don't put up with anyones crap. If we even start to get aggressive we're told to take it to PM's or face banning.

bobblehead
09-15-2008, 01:04 AM
First step to getting things nicer around here is for the mods to start cracking down on people flaming/baiting/ etc... anyone else's post(s)/thread(s) no matter what the content is about, and to start deleting threads before they blow up into a free-for-all. A PMd warning for first time, 1 week ban for second offense, and perma-ban for the third offense is plenty enough to get people to be civil.
I belong and/or have belonged to numerous forums over the past ten+ years, and most (the successful ones) simply don't put up with anyones crap. If we even start to get aggressive we're told to take it to PM's or face banning.

I have a different theory. If someone is being an ass, ignore them. If you let yourself get baited you are a tool. (unless you are enjoying the discourse, then its all good).

Partial
09-15-2008, 01:38 AM
You do realize that posts like this are the primary problem, and not the solution, right?

Change "posts" to read "threads", and I'll agree. I think this sort of extreme response thread isn't particularly helpful to the overall ambiance of the forum.

And calling out somebody who was right, presumably because you are unable to handle being wrong - might be the biggest bullshit of all.

Who exactly did I call out? I'm a man and I recognize when I'm right and wrong. I'm perfectly comfortable handling it.

Partial
09-15-2008, 01:40 AM

Not true. I counted 10+ offensive posts today. And I'm really sick of it. Some people don't seem to recognize the difference between jovial behavior and being a dick.

I really don't understand what Harv is alluding to at all with his response. There is a huge difference between what I do, and somebody consistently bashing someone behind their back when they haven't posted in weeks.

I go to the line and will poke fun at Skin much like he does Bretsky. There is a difference between that and the hurtful actions other have taken that are intentionally mean to posters.

Partial
09-15-2008, 01:42 AM

I have a different theory. If someone is being an ass, ignore them. If you let yourself get baited you are a tool. (unless you are enjoying the discourse, then its all good).

It's one thing to attack an opinion. It's a completely other to attack a person. While I will certainly be held guilty of attacking people (skin, nutz, etc), I think it's somewhat different since we've met, know a little bit about the other, and push eachothers buttons deliberately. Taking a shot at Merlin, or CPK without rhyme or reason is ridiculous.

SkinBasket
09-15-2008, 07:17 AM
FAIL.

That's what the cool kids do now right? Except I need a picture of an otherwise cute kitten, I think.

This thread reeks of "Don't hit me back!" It's been mentioned already but sometimes the messenger taints the message. Partial happens to be full of taint. Dirty dirty taint.

Zool
09-15-2008, 07:51 AM
I'm a man and I recognize when I'm right and wrong. I'm perfectly comfortable handling it.

I've got 2 words for ya P, Vernand Morrency.

sheepshead
09-15-2008, 09:41 AM
I disagree with the post. Most of us are passionate about our team. If someone puts up a post that is so off the wall they should be called on it. I do. I rarely pay any attention to an avatar , i'll slam any post that I think is wasting my time and someone hasnt put in a little time and effort into research.

I would argue that calling people on facts or even the basis for their assumptions make for better postings. It should be done respectfully, but I know I dont always adhere to that because there seems to be little decorum here from anyone including the mods.

my 2 cents

Partial
09-15-2008, 09:48 AM
I'm a man and I recognize when I'm right and wrong. I'm perfectly comfortable handling it.

I've got 2 words for ya P, Vernand Morrency.

If you haven't notice, I jovially continue to mention how Money Morency's big break is coming soon. Hell, he'll be starting by the end of the year. All he needs is an opportunity.

mmmdk
09-15-2008, 03:34 PM
I haven't topped yet; I'll be awesome from hereon out!

Cheesehead Craig
09-15-2008, 03:45 PM
"You know what will clean up this forum...
Getting rid of all the Presbyterians!!"

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o307/don935_photo/Blog/abe_simpson.gif

Little Whiskey
09-15-2008, 04:14 PM

At no point did I mention TT or anything related to that? Where did I blame anyone?

Here's hoping we're lucky and he consistently plays great.

uhhh you kinda did.