PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Rodgers.

packers11
09-14-2008, 11:13 PM
When the season started everyone had different expectations for Aaron Rodgers. With two games under his belt how would you rate his performance thus far (to what you expected).

EDIT : THE third option is supposed to be:

EXPECTED MUCH MORE

Scott Campbell
09-14-2008, 11:27 PM
I'm not sure how you'd expect too much more from the guy. He's playing at a Pro Bowl level through 2 games.

oregonpackfan
09-14-2008, 11:42 PM
I'm not sure how you'd expect too much more from the guy. He's playing at a Pro Bowl level through 2 games.

His performance these first two games(both for the season and his first two NFL starts) has been phenomenal. Help me out with some other superlatives about Rodgers. Incredible? Remarkable? Outstanding? Amazing?

The Packer Nation has to be very pleased.

boiga
09-14-2008, 11:49 PM
I'd been hoping for this level of performance, and I thought he was capable of it.

But to say "expected" is a little much. I try to avoid expectations as a general rule. Nevertheless I picked option 2 just because it made me feel smarter than I really was.

bobblehead
09-14-2008, 11:51 PM
You missed an option...he is exceeding my expectations, but not really "blowing" them away. I figured we would have had a few "FUCKING AROD" moments, but so far he has pretty much been flawless.

Harlan Huckleby
09-14-2008, 11:52 PM
I doubt that anybody expected him to be this good. I think the most optimistic people thought he had a chance to be excellent. You can't "expect" any player to be top-shelf at the QB position until they've done it before, too many intangibles to predict.

texaspackerbacker
09-15-2008, 12:51 AM
Some of us are on record ...... saying the Packers would be better off with Rodgers than with Favre ..... saying Rodgers is set up for success with all the talent around him, plus coaching, etc.

Old School
09-15-2008, 12:58 AM
Either TT has actually surounded his QB with some talent that we aren't aware of,(sarcasm) or Aaron is as good as the other guy.

Some would have had us believe that the drama queen was all that stood between us and abject failure.

Great TEAM victory!!!!!

boiga
09-15-2008, 01:02 AM
Nice point Old School.....

But out of curiosity, how have you been here for two and a quarter years but only have 7 posts?

Partial
09-15-2008, 01:45 AM
Blew mine out of the water. While it obviously is a very small amount of performances to judge, he has been nothing short of excellent thus far. Perhaps it's my inner cynic, but I find it really hard to believe that most people would think he would play this well. At this rate, he's on pace to have the highest qb rating ever. I am skeptical that anyone predicted that.

With that said, it has been a very pleasant surprise. We will be incredibly well off and lucky if he keeps this up! Some teams never find one good quarterback. It looks like we might be lucky enough to have 2 back-to-back.

Old School
09-15-2008, 01:52 AM
"But out of curiosity, how have you been here for two and a quarter years but only have 7 posts?"

I read Packer Rats on a daily basis for good Packer info. I just don't often feel compelled to add my two cents worth. I guess all the BS, or should I say BF, this summer has worn a little thin with me.

mission
09-15-2008, 02:02 AM
I doubt that anybody expected him to be this good. I think the most optimistic people thought he had a chance to be excellent. You can't "expect" any player to be top-shelf at the QB position until they've done it before, too many intangibles to predict.

That's not entirely true.

Intangibles are not invisible. That's why people get paid to scout.

I've been spewing about Rodgers' intangibles for some time now using those specific words (over and over) and referencing his play at Dallas and the way he's handled himself in interviews (and my exp coaching incoming-college QBs). Can say that doesn't matter at all, but some would argue with you ... myself included.

I've had ZERO doubt that he would be a top NFL quarterback right from the gate. The only thing Ive repetitively held my breath about is durability and I guess that will remain to be seen.

pack4to84
09-15-2008, 05:04 AM
You guys know how I voted because of all by posts trying to get you guys on Rodgers bandwagon. I told my brother to draft Rodgers and I said he would throw 28 TD's this season. I told him to start him and he would give you 3 TD's this week. Guess what 3 TD's vs Lions. I now wished I would have said 5 because Coach turned off the offense in the 2nd half, until we need it again. Now if he throw more than 28 TD's then I would have to change the way I voted.

RashanGary
09-15-2008, 07:11 AM
Blew mine out of the water with the outragous comp% and moxy. I expected him to throw well, be in the right play and throw to the right read.

I did not expect him to take so few sacks, appear so decisive but collected when under pressure or handle the ups and downs of a game so naturally.

I expected the talent to show, but was ready for some of the inexperience to show too. He's looked like Tony Romo without the Tony Romo instability when things go wrong. The Packers QB play has been right near the top of the NFL. It's one of the strongest parts of our team right now IMO.

Scott Campbell
09-15-2008, 08:48 AM
I think the next big test for Rodgers will be how he handles the adversity of a poor performance. He'll have one at some point, as everyone does, and how he bounces back will show a lot about his ability to handle adversity.

But for now, enjoy the love fest.

oregonpackfan
09-15-2008, 10:21 AM
I think the next big test for Rodgers will be how he handles the adversity of a poor performance. He'll have one at some point, as everyone does, and how he bounces back will show a lot about his ability to handle adversity.

Excellent point, Scott.

The Gunshooter
09-15-2008, 10:58 AM
When I saw him during the preseason in 2007 I said to myself that right there is the best QB on the team. That's saying a lot considering there was a top ten QB of all-time ahead of him on the depth chart.

LL2
09-15-2008, 11:05 AM
I would say Rodgers is doing a little better than expected, but I always had high hopes he would perform well. He's going to have off days, as all QB's do, but I just hope not soon.

You gotta love these numbers though!

W-L Comp.-Att. Pct. Yards TD Int Sacks Rating

2-0 42-60 .700 506 4 0 1 117.8

Pugger
09-15-2008, 02:23 PM
I didn't know what to expect. I had a feeling Aaron would be okay but not this good - so far. I was hopeful but I hadn't seen enough of his play to even make an educated guess on how he would perform once he took over the reins. :oops: I am very pleased - as is most of Packer Nation - with his play so far this season! 8-)

cheesner
09-15-2008, 02:24 PM
I expected AR to do this well, just maybe not this soon in the season. He is very talented, seems to have his head in the game, did very well in his limited opportunities, and he works hard.

There is no telling how good AR and the Packers can be this year. This next game will be very important to AR and the Packers season - or at least league perception.

Partial
09-15-2008, 02:55 PM
You guys do realize, that performing this well would be the greatest performance of a quarterback ever? Brady finished with a 115 last year.

arcilite
09-15-2008, 02:57 PM
You guys do realize, that performing this well would be the greatest performance of a quarterback ever? Brady finished with a 115 last year.

It's only been 2 games..Rodgers only has the 6th best QB rating in the NFL right now..he will come back down

LL2
09-15-2008, 03:54 PM
This next game will be very important to AR and the Packers season - or at least league perception.

The next game against the Cowboys is extremely important to AR and the season. If AR can master the Cowboys that will be something...even Favre in his prime could rarely beat the Cowboys.

mmmdk
09-15-2008, 04:01 PM
I don't remember Big Ben's rating in his rookie year but he went 15-1!

I like Packer wins!

I said Packers will go 9-7 in 2008, ain't changing that, 'cos I won't jinx this up - the B way :lol:

Bossman641
09-15-2008, 04:14 PM
Rodgers has been playing a little above how I expected him to play. Not to sound like Tex, but he has been set up for success. He's gotten rid of the ball quickly and has gotten the ball in the hands of the playmakers.

3 things about him have surprised me the most

1. How well he throws the slant
2. How well he throws the deep ball
3. His decision-making. He hasn't seemed to make a bad read yet, as none of his passes have even been closed to being picked off. (Knock on wood)

No knock on Favre, but you knew there would be 2-3 chances every game where the defenders would have a play on the ball. We heard it every week from opposing defenses.

Also, Rodgers throws a very nice ball IMO. Every single pass seems to be a perfect spiral. I really like his throwing motion. He puts a ton of zip on the ball but it doesn't really look like he has to load up to do it.

Scott Campbell
09-15-2008, 04:17 PM
His pocket awareness has been a pleasant surprise also. He created a bunch of plays with his legs against the Lions.

I imagine it won't be long now until somebody starts the dreaded thread on how he would have fared against the G-Men last January.

Chevelle2
09-15-2008, 04:36 PM
His pocket awareness has been a pleasant surprise also. He created a bunch of plays with his legs against the Lions.

I imagine it won't be long now until somebody starts the dreaded thread on how he would have fared against the G-Men last January.

I truely believe we would have one that game had we subbed in Rodgers. I felt this way at the time.

I also believe his "hamstring injury" was an exageration, or possibly a flat out lie. Why? Because had we subbed in Rodgers in the last week of the season vs Detriot, like we did with Nall, Rodgers would have had such an insane performance, that enterting the playoffs, we would have had a gigantic QB controversey.

HarveyWallbangers
09-15-2008, 04:47 PM
I also believe his "hamstring injury" was an exageration, or possibly a flat out lie. Why? Because had we subbed in Rodgers in the last week of the season vs Detriot, like we did with Nall, Rodgers would have had such an insane performance, that enterting the playoffs, we would have had a gigantic QB controversey.

I believe this is just silly. Favre was one of the top three QBs in the league last year. Rodgers could have went 30 for 30 in the last game, and there wouldn't have been a QB controvery.

Scott Campbell
09-15-2008, 04:51 PM
I'm also of the belief that it's a rat hole we don't want to go down.

gex
09-15-2008, 05:00 PM
I truely believe we would have one that game had we subbed in Rodgers. I felt this way at the time.

I also believe his "hamstring injury" was an exageration, or possibly a flat out lie. Why? Because had we subbed in Rodgers in the last week of the season vs Detriot, like we did with Nall, Rodgers would have had such an insane performance, that enterting the playoffs, we would have had a gigantic QB controversey. :roll:

FAIL

boiga
09-15-2008, 05:23 PM

Well, good for you.

Now let it go. Comparing hypotheticals is a waste of time.