PDA

View Full Version : Jon Ryan's first game as a Seahawk

Patler
09-15-2008, 08:35 AM
Frost had some problems yesterday. So did Jon Ryan. Ryan lined up to punt four times:

Punting from his own 18, kicked it 39 yards out of bounds.
Punting from his own 39, had punt blocked.
Punting from SF's 40, he kicked it into the endzone for a touchback.
Punting from his own 11, kicked it 38 yards and out of bounds.

Scott Campbell
09-15-2008, 08:42 AM
Punting from his own 39, had punt blocked.

After reading Stock's quote about the cut, this appeared to be a major reason he was so down on the guy. Slow getaway time. Though I didn't see the game, and can't say if the block was due to Ryan or a breakdown of the protection.

Patler
09-15-2008, 09:04 AM
I checked some articles in the Seattle Times. No one described the blocked punt, but all the writers criticized Ryan's overall performance. Comments about leaving a lot to be desired, no improvement over Plackermeier, who they released, punting letting the team down, etc.

pbmax
09-15-2008, 09:44 AM
That's a punt he just doesn't have currently. That will kill his Net. The out of bounds look OK, but the block really hurts.

pbmax
09-15-2008, 09:51 AM
That block wasn't his fault. I don't have a stopwatch, but the guy could have tackled Ryan, if I am watching the right play. I love extended highlights.

Seahawks vs. Niners (http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80acee4c)

Patler
09-15-2008, 09:54 AM
That's a punt he just doesn't have currently. That will kill his Net. The out of bounds look OK, but the block really hurts.

Punts of 38 and 39 when you are deep in your own territory won't win a lot of friends either, even if you do kick them out of bounds. That was one of the problems the Packers mentioned when Ryan was released. He wasn't able to reverse the field for them on progressive series. A 38 yard punt out of bounds might be good enough kicking from your own 35 or 40, but not when you are kicking from your own 11.

Patler
09-15-2008, 10:04 AM
That block wasn't his fault. I don't have a stopwatch, but the guy could have tackled Ryan, if I am watching the right play. I love extended highlights.

Seahawks vs. Niners (http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80acee4c)

That is quite nice. Highlights available any time you want them!

The blocker flat out missed, and the 49er probably would have blocked it regardless. But Ryan takes very deliberate, and slow steps compared to Frost or others, who seem to catch it (most of the time! :evil: ) and kick it in a very fluid and fast motion.

When Ryan switched from 3 steps to two steps his "get off" time didn't improve much because he started taking longer and slower steps. Watch Frost the next time and you will notice a significant difference from when he catches the ball (hopefully) to when he kicks it.

pbmax
09-15-2008, 10:09 AM
Yes, its easy to see the time difference between Ryan and Frost in get off time. And make no mistake, so far I like the swap. If Frost doesn't tail off like he did with the Redskins last year, its a clear upgrade.

I do think if they put a hat on the guy who got the punt, the punt might have gotten out of there. But it is a risk you run with Ryan.

And as you point out, the occasional mediocre 38 yard punt out of bounds would be easier to take if you didn't have the other mistakes.

The blocker flat out missed, and the 49er probably would have blocked it regardless. But Ryan takes very deliberate, and slow steps compared to Frost or others, who seem to catch it (most of the time! :evil: ) and kick it in a very fluid and fast motion.

MadtownPacker
09-15-2008, 10:33 AM
Punting from SF's 40, he kicked it into the endzone for a touchback.Ahhh, his signature move.

Guiness
09-15-2008, 03:28 PM
I'm a little surprised by those numbers. The two from deep in his own territory fer sure - that's where he's supposed to shine, and pretty regularly boomed them out for us.

Punting from the 40 - that's a tough punt for sure, probably one of the most difficult you'll ask a guy to make. SO close to field goal range - IMO that's the area where more teams should just go for it on 4th.