PDA

View Full Version : Open QB comptetition who would have won

dissident94
09-15-2008, 09:49 AM
I do not post much but I was a big supporter of Favre and thought TT was an idiot. Well through the first two games I guess I am maybe the idiot. No surprise.

Anyway if they ever did have that competition it is looking more and more that Rodgers could have (would have) beat Favre out. Its early and I remember Dilweg winnning NFC player of the week so it can go down hill but Rodgers looks great. He did underthrow Jennings on that one deep ball. BUt on the monday night game that long ball to Jennings went 65 yards in the air. That was a wow moment.

We have been spoiled for years with good qb play and it looks like it may continue

Scott Campbell
09-15-2008, 09:54 AM
I think the lesson learned from this is that the staff got to watch A-Rod a lot more than we did. Theirs was a much shorter leap of faith.

sheepshead
09-15-2008, 09:59 AM
You could even now make the argument that TT and MM were correct in what they knew they had in Rodgers, you could perhaps argue that not only did they NOT disrespect Favre and his potential and legacy that they went the extra mile by keeping the door open LAST YEAR!

sheepshead
09-15-2008, 10:00 AM
I think the lesson learned from this is that the staff got to watch A-Rod a lot more than we did. Theirs was a much shorter leap of faith.

No question, they had game films and tons of practices, more importantly they see the respect he has garnered from his teammates.

Chevelle2
09-15-2008, 10:34 AM
I do not post much but I was a big supporter of Favre and thought TT was an idiot. Well through the first two games I guess I am maybe the idiot. No surprise.

Anyway if they ever did have that competition it is looking more and more that Rodgers could have (would have) beat Favre out. Its early and I remember Dilweg winnning NFC player of the week so it can go down hill but Rodgers looks great. He did underthrow Jennings on that one deep ball. BUt on the monday night game that long ball to Jennings went 65 yards in the air. That was a wow moment.

We have been spoiled for years with good qb play and it looks like it may continue

You have my respect for admitting you were wrong dissident94. Post on!

MadScientist
09-15-2008, 10:35 AM
Anyway if they ever did have that competition it is looking more and more that Rodgers could have (would have) beat Favre out.

In a perverse sense, that might be why they could not allow the QB competition. Think about it, if there was an open competition, would anyone believe that Rodgers really beat Favre. Everyone would just be saying that it wasn't a real open competition. The media circus and talking head banter would be even worse than it was with sending Brett to the Jets.

RashanGary
09-15-2008, 10:41 AM

Well said.

Patler
09-15-2008, 10:48 AM
This situation just goes to show the validity of the saying, "Damned if you do and damned if you don't" when it comes to replacing great QBs.

If you don't plan a successor, you are obviously in trouble when the icon retires.
If you do plan a replacement you can get stuck in the situation of having an old, still capable QB with little or no future but a fan favorite, and a new QB who is ready to play and needs to play to show if he is the future or not. Tough decisions.

texaspackerbacker
09-15-2008, 10:49 AM
I said back then, and I still say, it's pretty much impossible to have a fair and balanced open competition for QB. What are you gonna do, let the D Line go all out and rush them in practice? Control all other conditions? It can't be done. It has to be a subjective decision.

And what if they had tried? It would have taken away from the overall preparation for the team.

McCarthy did what his brain and gut told him was right, and he hit a home run. Some of us aren't surprised.

dissident94
09-15-2008, 11:16 AM
But like I said it is early we shouldn't annoint him the next great thing. But he sure looks good early.

Freak Out
09-15-2008, 11:20 AM
Rodgers should be benched for under throwing Jennings on that long ball yesterday. :lol:

Stevogbfan
09-15-2008, 11:21 AM
But like I said it is early we shouldn't annoint him the next great thing. But he sure looks good early.

well put and i agree!

Carolina_Packer
09-15-2008, 12:00 PM
Funny, I went to a game here in NC at a local establishment called Murphy's. There's a guy there who now refers to Murphy, Thompson and McCarthy as the "Three Stooges". He says the Packers can win 12 Super Bowls in a row and he won't be happy until they are all gone because of the shabby way they treated Brett. Some people think anything less than total commitment to Brett and his schedule of return is blasphemous. This guy said Brett has earned the right by what he has accomplished fort the team to come back on his terms. I asked him if he thought Brett had anything to do with his own predicament and he said emphatically, "NO!" I wasn't looking for an argument, it was just interesting to note the guy's passion fort the subject. I was hoping Brett would be back too and that the team would find a way to mend fences, but I tend to adjust quickly and let the team decide and not get all huffy when they do something that I wouldn't have done. What's the point? They don't listen to me anyway (probably a good thing). I also asked him if he thought Brett's heart was not into playing in Green Bay, which was McCarthy's assessment after meeting with him before he was traded, and this guy adamantly said that was BS, that Brett wanted to play for the Packers. Of course what Brett wanted was to feel wanted when he was ready to make his full commitment. That's plain now. I told him to hang in there, and that this Rodgers kid is not Favre, but if they have a good team around Aaron, they might be OK." You can't argue/discuss with people who have that much loyalty to Favre, no matter how much Brett might have had to do with his own demise playing for the Packers. Sometimes people just want to see things the way they want to see things and don't look at the big picture. I hope the front office looked at the possible PR hit that the move would bring, and I'm sure they did, but at the end of it all, probably thought they knew more about the situation from inside the facility and inside Brett's head, and made the decision to move on, which in the end was probably the right thing to do, even though it was a sucky end that should have never come to pass. Go Aaron! I wish you all the success in the world.

Tony Oday
09-15-2008, 12:01 PM
He looks good. The thing that we have been missing for the last 5 years is a QB that clocks his forty on a stop watch instead of a calander ;)

Rodgers will have growing pains we all know that however the first two games he looks good in the pocket...would like a little better blocking...and is actually going through the passing progression. You look at AR and Jump Pass and there is no comparison. Jump Pass has had a year and a half of games and still looks like crap and AR can use a full offense. I am very happy thus far however I do think that we need a little more out of the O line and RBs.

cpk1994
09-15-2008, 12:51 PM
Funny, I went to a game here in NC at a local establishment called Murphy's. There's a guy there who now refers to Murphy, Thompson and McCarthy as the "Three Stooges". He says the Packers can win 12 Super Bowls in a row and he won't be happy until they are all gone because of the shabby way they treated Brett. Some people think anything less than total commitment to Brett and his schedule of return is blasphemous. This guy said Brett has earned the right by what he has accomplished fort the team to come back on his terms. I asked him if he thought Brett had anything to do with his own predicament and he said emphatically, "NO!" I wasn't looking for an argument, it was just interesting to note the guy's passion fort the subject. I was hoping Brett would be back too and that the team would find a way to mend fences, but I tend to adjust quickly and let the team decide and not get all huffy when they do something that I wouldn't have done. What's the point? They don't listen to me anyway (probably a good thing). I also asked him if he thought Brett's heart was not into playing in Green Bay, which was McCarthy's assessment after meeting with him before he was traded, and this guy adamantly said that was BS, that Brett wanted to play for the Packers. Of course what Brett wanted was to feel wanted when he was ready to make his full commitment. That's plain now. I told him to hang in there, and that this Rodgers kid is not Favre, but if they have a good team around Aaron, they might be OK." You can't argue/discuss with people who have that much loyalty to Favre, no matter how much Brett might have had to do with his own demise playing for the Packers. Sometimes people just want to see things the way they want to see things and don't look at the big picture. I hope the front office looked at the possible PR hit that the move would bring, and I'm sure they did, but at the end of it all, probably thought they knew more about the situation from inside the facility and inside Brett's head, and made the decision to move on, which in the end was probably the right thing to do, even though it was a sucky end that should have never come to pass. Go Aaron! I wish you all the success in the world.That guy sounds like some posters on here. Ok, which one of you is it? :D

AV David
09-15-2008, 12:52 PM
I am pleasantly surprised at the rapid success A Rod has had so far. I am not at all surprised at the level of success, only the speed with which it came.

The real reason #4 was not asked back was it would have cast SUBSTANTIAL doubt wheteher is would have cost A Rod. (especially of #4 came back for 2 years.)

If you think you have a young, talented quarterback who can win in the NFL, you cannot lose him trying to eke out another year or two from an aged veteran, even if the aged veteran is Brett Favre.

Those of us who remember the darkness of the 70s and 80s know how difficult it is to find a really good quarterback. (Remember heir apparent Carlos Brown?) (Guaranteed trivia winner: Carlos Brown changed his name and was the character "Bubba" on the TV series "Heat of the Night".)

The trade off to this unpleasantness was not just this year. It was for the next 10-12 years. I will take A Rod. I will still take A Rod when he struggles here and there.

dissident94
09-15-2008, 01:35 PM
My big worry was if you have a team ready to contend you should always go with the verteran. To me it was logical to go with Favre. It had nothing to do with emotion but what I thought was the right football move. Now it seems the right move maybe was to go with the young guy.

If Rodger keeps playing like this TT is going to go down as one of the greatest GMs in history. THe balls it took to do what he has done and if it continues to succed is crazy.

vince
09-15-2008, 01:57 PM
If Rodger keeps playing like this TT is going to go down as one of the greatest GMs in history. THe balls it took to do what he has done and if it continues to succed is crazy.
That there's signature worthy...

gioreeko
09-15-2008, 03:18 PM
I was just thinking the same thing today, Rodgers would have won easily. You can really see the difference in Favre right now that he skipped the off season conditioning. At his age, you have to work twice as hard to stay quick and strong. Too bad we couldn't get a "Hadl" like deal with some team, like the Pack did in the 70's, basically screwing themselves out of tons of draft picks for an aging, past his prime QB......

AV David
09-15-2008, 03:27 PM
"... Too bad we couldn't get a "Hadl" like deal with some team, like the Pack did in the 70's, basically screwing themselves out of tons of draft picks for an aging, past his prime QB......"

If I recall correctly, the Hadl trade was made during the season. My Dad took me to the first game Hadl played as a Packer. Hadl was running for his life the entire game. He was constantly throwing kind of side arm as he was running from the pocket because three guys were him chasing him. I knew we were screwed by halftime. He looked sooooooooo old.

gioreeko
09-15-2008, 03:30 PM

I'm watching Nfl live right now, and that "underthrown" pass was 60 yards in the air after rolling out to the right, hell of a throw!

Guiness
09-15-2008, 03:34 PM
A QB competition would have been a mess. And impossible to judge - like tbp said, what're you going to do, throw blitzes and stuff at them?

All you could do is let them get their reps, and try to judge. But even then you're really playing a bit of blind baseball if you choose Rodgers, because you KNOW Favre can do it in the NFL, but you don't actually know with Rodgers until he gets some actual game time. We have a much better idea now, after a couple of real contests, but wouldn't have had that information this preseason.

DannoMac21
09-15-2008, 03:40 PM

Paco and MOBB DEEP really need to learn from you...

Pacopete4
09-15-2008, 04:59 PM

Why's that?... I still think TT is a fuckin snake and didn't handle the situation at all well... my stance will not change, specially after 2 games

mission
09-15-2008, 05:04 PM

Why's that?... I still think TT is a fuckin snake and didn't handle the situation at all well... my stance will not change, specially after 2 games

Based on THAT logic, your stance should never change. Even if we go undefeated and win the Super Bowl. Results are irrelevant.

Your main problem is with how the situation was handled. How should he have handled it differently? Let Brett come back? It's a pretty damned if you do and damned if you don't situation, but I'd just love to know how your business acumen would lend to a better handling of that situation. Honest question. What would have satisfied you?

If TT is a snake then so is Jack Welch, Donald Trump, Dale Carnegie, John C Maxwell and every other business leader who's had to make unpopular decisions for the betterment of his organization.

Nice guys finish last. Tough guys win ball games and have billion dollar corporations.

cpk1994
09-15-2008, 05:11 PM

:bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap:

Based on THAT logic, your stance should never change. Even if we go undefeated and win the Super Bowl. Results are irrelevant.

Your main problem is with how the situation was handled. How should he have handled it differently? Let Brett come back? It's a pretty damned if you do and damned if you don't situation, but I'd just love to know how your business acumen would lend to a better handling of that situation. Honest question. What would have satisfied you?

If TT is a snake then so is Jack Welch, Donald Trump, Dale Carnegie, John C Maxwell and every other business leader who's had to make unpopular decisions for the betterment of his organization.

Nice guys finish last. Tough guys win ball games and have billion dollar corporations.

:bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap:

Letting Favre come back after all the stunts and BS he pulled would have insured that ARod leaves at the first opportunity. Then when Brett really retires you have nothing and you wasted the 3-4 years you were preping ARod. I continue to stand and applaud the Packers GM, TT, for putting the TEAM first, and not allowing anyone one player to be put above it.

Zool
09-15-2008, 05:16 PM
Seriously, can we end this line of discussion already? Its really fucking old.

boiga
09-15-2008, 05:19 PM
Seriously, can we end this line of discussion already? Its really fucking old.

Agreed. It's enough to have that damn Favre/Rodgers comparison chart put up by the booth announcers every game. Our quarterback, Rodgers, is doing a great job so far making all Packers fans happy.

Let's put the summer behind us.

HarveyWallbangers
09-15-2008, 05:38 PM
I'm watching Nfl live right now, and that "underthrown" pass was 60 yards in the air after rolling out to the right, hell of a throw!

What I noticed with the throw is that he didn't put all he could into it. It was more of a line drive and he didn't drill it in there. I think he saw how wide open Jennings was, so he didn't want to get a lot of air under it--to give the safety a chance to make a play. Since it was 60 yards downfield, it wasn't an easy one to laser in there either. Not a great throw, but good enough to get the completion.

Scott Campbell
09-15-2008, 05:51 PM
I now choose to abstain because it has entered This Thread Blows territory.

The Shadow
09-15-2008, 05:57 PM
Personally, I have always favored the cerebral approach to quarterbacking.
I think the Starr, Montana, Brady approach wins more championships - and I believe history bears that out.

RashanGary
09-15-2008, 07:24 PM
I saw a stat that Rodgers had the third highest passing velocity of all college QB's at teh combine since 2003 (last 6 years). Rodgers timed speed was apparently 63 MPH falling short of only Jamarcus Russell and Jared Lorenzen (two HUGE QB's).

Pretty impressive.

HarveyWallbangers
09-15-2008, 08:58 PM
Source? I haven't seen that. I heard he had good velocity, but I don't think he threw at the combine, so anything else is just rumor.

Brando19
09-15-2008, 09:13 PM
I now choose to abstain because it has entered This Thread Blows territory.

:lol:

channtheman
09-15-2008, 10:00 PM
I think Rodgers would have lost out to Favre. When Favre came back that week in July, Rodgers played like crap in practice. As soon as Favre left, Rodgers was back to playing good again. I don't know why, but it seemed like something about Favre's presence made Rodgers play like crap.