PDA

View Full Version : Muslim Sharia law courts in UK

digitaldean
09-15-2008, 09:19 PM
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article4749183.ece

The government has quietly sanctioned the powers for sharia judges to rule on cases ranging from divorce and financial disputes to those involving domestic violence.

Now if the Baptists or Catholics tried to set up their own courts like this in the US, can you imagine the uproar? And rightly so...

The term "separation of church and state" has been WAY overused recently. But this is one case where the church (whatever denomination) does NOT need to be involved.

MJZiggy
09-15-2008, 09:40 PM
:shock: Holy shit! :shock:

No denomination should be enforcing the law, which is in effect interpreting the law to their own thinking.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-15-2008, 09:46 PM
This isn't exactly new....but, it makes for good shrieking.

Beth Din law has been used in the UK for a long time.

Also, this isn't like you go to court...it is arbitration. Both sides have to agree...and then it is enforced by the UK system.

And, to a certain degree we have a version of religious court here...don't some caths have to use their system to end a marriage....in the eyes of their religion..doesn't matter what the civil courts say.

MJZiggy
09-15-2008, 09:53 PM

Also, this isn't like you go to court...it is arbitration. Both sides have to agree...and then it is enforced by the UK system.

And, to a certain degree we have a version of religious court here...don't some caths have to use their system to end a marriage....in the eyes of their religion..doesn't matter what the civil courts say.

The end of a marriage in the Catholic Church is separate from the courts. The Church can call you annulled, but you're still legally married until the court says so. But a court ordered divorce is still legal no matter what the Church says about it--even if they don't consider you divorced in the Church.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-15-2008, 10:40 PM

The end of a marriage in the Catholic Church is separate from the courts. The Church can call you annulled, but you're still legally married until the court says so. But a court ordered divorce is still legal no matter what the Church says about it--even if they don't consider you divorced in the Church.

I understand that..i was just saying that without the "private" court, they aren't divorced.

And, for religious people, that is very important.

HowardRoark
09-15-2008, 10:51 PM

Is Galations important for religious people too?

Tyrone Bigguns
09-15-2008, 10:54 PM

Is Galations important for religious people too?

I don't know...never heard of Galations. :oops:

Sad, when a non believer spells it better than a believer. :wink:

I would imagine for some religious people....not for the majority of the world.

MJZiggy
09-15-2008, 10:54 PM

I understand that..i was just saying that without the "private" court, they aren't divorced.

Problem is that the "private" court has no bearing on the public one. If you're not Catholic, what that church says has no bearing on you and there are no priests in the courtroom.