PDA

View Full Version : This hit me about M3 again!

outflow
09-16-2008, 06:21 AM
Outside of Belichick, M3 has the team ready with a solid gameplan each and every week. Pretty astonishing given the laxed nature that seems to be around the team (Packer People :shock: ). He is also very definitive during press conferences which even if he doesn't know the answers he tricks you into thinking he does. Although, I do agree with others around here his playcalling inside the game is still very questionable at times.

I'm so damn happy we didn't get Chilly :)

Tarlam!
09-16-2008, 07:09 AM
I agree that I am glad we didn't get Chilly, but that seems to have been luck more than skill.

I wish M3 would be less wishy-washy with his play calling. I think he's a great coach, has the respect and the knowledge. All the intangibles etc.

But when I'm reading the game day thread and really knowledgable Rats start questioning his calling, I just shudder.

HarveyWallbangers
09-16-2008, 08:05 AM
I agree that I am glad we didn't get Chilly, but that seems to have been luck more than skill.

Why? I don't think it would have been Thompson's style to just hire Childress without interviewing others. He would have been one of eight candidates. There's a solid chance that Thompson likely would have been sold on McCarthy and hired him over Chilly anyways.

bobblehead
09-16-2008, 09:55 AM

Why? I don't think it would have been Thompson's style to just hire Childress without interviewing others. He would have been one of eight candidates. There's a solid chance that Thompson likely would have been sold on McCarthy and hired him over Chilly anyways.

I would even argue it was a certainty...when has TT done the popular with the fans/media thing?

cheesner
09-16-2008, 09:57 AM
Pretty astonishing given the laxed nature that seems to be around the team
. . .s.

Not sure what you mean about 'laxed' nature. This team seems to me to be like their coach - very serious and focused on the task at hand.

As far as Chilly goes, given what we know about TT now, I doubt he would have hired him. His selection, MM, is the complete opposite of Chilly. I doubt Chilly had the qualities that TT was looking for.

Cheesehead Craig
09-16-2008, 10:35 AM
He's done a great job so far and is still learning. I agree on the mid-game playcalling and especially the 3rd Q stuff needs to improve but overall he's great.

Scott Campbell
09-16-2008, 11:06 AM

Chilly was the hot candidate that year. There would have been pressure to act quick to get him off the market - which might explain the Vikings hiring him.

Scott Campbell
09-16-2008, 11:07 AM
He's done a great job so far and is still learning. I agree on the mid-game playcalling and especially the 3rd Q stuff needs to improve but overall he's great.

Has there ever been a coach in the history of the NFL that didn't have play calling 2nd guessed by fans? I bet you could have gone onto a Pats forum last year and found people griping about Bill's play calling.

HarveyWallbangers
09-16-2008, 11:14 AM
Chilly was the hot candidate that year. There would have been pressure to act quick to get him off the market - which might explain the Vikings hiring him.

I'm not sure how hot he really was. Philly was coming off a down year (they went 6-10 and only scored 310 points in 2005). He was actually a hotter candidate a year or two before that. A lot of people had soured on him a little bit--since he didn't call the plays in Philadelphia. I think the Vikings outsmarted themselves. I think they wanted to trump Green Bay, but it was just a knee-jerk move by a rookie owner. I know Thompson has indicated that Childress wasn't the lead candidate. He was just one of several candidates they were looking to interview. I seriously doubt Thompson went into it with just one candiate in mind. His mentor, Ron Wolf, has said in the past that one of his biggest mistakes was hiring Ray Rhodes without giving any consideration to anybody else. I think Thompson was looking to avoid that.

Scott Campbell
09-16-2008, 11:25 AM
Ok. I buy that logic.

gbgary
09-16-2008, 11:41 AM
there were a couple of games last year where the game plan defied logic and he gets very conservative, offensively, at times, which puts the defense in a very tough spot, but generally speaking i'd agree. he's done a fine job.

Guiness
09-16-2008, 11:50 AM
I also don't think TT would have pulled the trigger that fast - it's not his style. IMO If Chilly had come here, he would've gone to Minn next, and they would've grabbed him.
Look at the FA's he has got...Pickett, Woodson, and this year Chillar all left town after the first visit w/o a contract, didn't they?

Tarlam!
09-17-2008, 07:33 AM
Didn't TT pull the trigger on M3 pretty quickly?

I don't recall exactly.

pbmax
09-17-2008, 07:48 AM
He interviewed several people and Bates was the last interview if I remember correctly. There was one person he interviewed that was widely mocked. Was it Wade Phillips when he was D Coord of the Chargers? I think it was. They had a Houston Oiler/Bum Phillips connection. Wade's reputation as a head coach has improved some since then. :lol:

texaspackerbacker
09-17-2008, 11:20 AM
Face it, Thompson is CHEAP, and I mean that in the best possible way. He almost always low-balls people--players, coaches, whatever. He also tends to go for the low cost alternative--which McCarthy certainly was.

I, for one, am very satisfied that Thompson does things that way. He is way ahead of the game in terms of success with his cheapness compared to quality that he has lost by doing things that way.

You could say McCarthy's play calling reflects Thompson's way also--emphasizing NOT making expensive blunders, even if that means being a little too cautious once in a while.

Both are indisputably WINNERS, though.

Lurker64
09-17-2008, 11:27 AM
Well, I wouldn't say Thompson Thompson always lowballs. He certainly outbid everybody else for Pickett and Woodson. Pickett was signed on the first day of Free Agency that year and so I doubt it wasn't "Pickett realized he wouldn't get a better offer than Thompson."

Certainly, though, when it comes to things that "would be nice to have", Thompson tends to look for bargains.

SnakeLH2006
09-18-2008, 12:48 AM
Pretty astonishing given the laxed nature that seems to be around the team
. . .s.

Not sure what you mean about 'laxed' nature. This team seems to me to be like their coach - very serious and focused on the task at hand.

As far as Chilly goes, given what we know about TT now, I doubt he would have hired him. His selection, MM, is the complete opposite of Chilly. I doubt Chilly had the qualities that TT was looking for.

Exactly, he's the opposite of TT. But sometimes opposites attract. :lol: Thank god we don't have Chilly tho, damn he's a moron. I'd run AP silly, esp. when we need crucial 1st downs. What a terrible coach, thank god we have 2 shitty regimes in the Lions and Vikes in our division. Makes division wins pretty simple around here till the Bears get a QB/weapons on O to make us worry.