PDA

View Full Version : Quarterback Play Up... Or Defenses Down?

Pacopete4
09-16-2008, 10:57 AM
I don't think this is very common but there is 10 guys that are over the 100 mark in QB rating and a total of 14 who are 94 or higher... is QB play up in this league?... Defenses downs?... or the game has really just changed that much where we'll see this every season?

Scott Campbell
09-16-2008, 11:01 AM
I think things will level out over the season. You see some wild swings in numbers when you're only looking at 2 games.

HarveyWallbangers
09-16-2008, 11:03 AM
I don't think this is very common but there is 10 guys that are over the 100 mark in QB rating and a total of 14 who are 94 or higher... is QB play up in this league?... Defenses downs?... or the game has really just changed that much where we'll see this every season?

We're two weeks into the season.

boiga
09-16-2008, 11:07 AM
I think the third week of the season is a little early to be drawing long term trend. The match ups that we have had so far have encouraged high QB ratings from mediocre players. This will decrease as time goes on and these QB's face more difficult secondaries. When players like Warner and Big Ben face a defense less porous than the Browns and Seattle, their average ratings will drop.

For example, Matt Ryan had a QB rating of 137 against the lions, but only 29.6 against the Bucs. Then again, the fact that Matt Ryan had a QB rating of 137 off of just 13 pass attempts rather proves this is a worthless statistic to begin with.

Zool
09-16-2008, 11:19 AM
Defenses need game film to react to what offenses do. It evens out.

Patler
09-16-2008, 11:49 AM
QB ratings always seem to decline as the season goes on. A couple bad weather games with low completion percentages, few passing TDs and low yardage can cause significant declines.

Noodle
09-16-2008, 09:14 PM
QB rating is a little (I said a little) like the 40 time -- everyone knows it doesn't tell anywhere near the whole story, but everybody uses it regardless.

I haven't gone back to look how QBs have done early in the season historically, but I'm a little surprised at those numbers, as I usually think defenses have the advantage early on, whereas offenses take a while to jell.

Patler is probably right that weather has a lot to do with it -- hard to be pinpoint accurate when the wind is a blowin', the ball is slick, and your hands went numb about two hours ago.

Scott Campbell
09-16-2008, 09:29 PM
QB ratings always seem to decline as the season goes on. A couple bad weather games with low completion percentages, few passing TDs and low yardage can cause significant declines.

Hmmmm. Shouldn't T-Jacks rating be significantly higher then - playing half those games at 68 degrees indoors?

Zool
09-16-2008, 09:50 PM

Hmmmm. Shouldn't T-Jacks rating be significantly higher then - playing half those games at 68 degrees indoors?

He's actually going to get worse.