PDA

View Full Version : CHANGE IN PLANS! AL HARRIS WILL BE AT CAMP. NO HOLDOUT!

gbpackfan
06-21-2006, 09:17 PM
Okay, Harris' agent just spoke with Al and this is an updated report. Looks like he WILL report. I don't know what is going on?!

The article can be read at Packersnews.com or Packerchatters.com

Green Bay - If Al Harris doesn’t report for the start of the Green Bay Packers’ training camp next month, it would come as a major surprise to his agent.
Jack Bechta, who represents the Packers starting cornerback, said he spoke with Harris on Wednesday, the same day a published report quoted Harris as saying he might not report on time. Harris missed all 14 days of the Packers’ organized team activities that concluded on Wednesday because he thinks he deserves a contract extension.

“I talked to Al today and asked him, ‘Whatââ €šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s going on?’⠢‚¬Â Bechta said on Wednesday from his office in San Diego. “He just kind of laughed and said, ‘Call Andrew (Brandt) and call Ted (Thompson) and tell them, rest assured, I will not miss anything mandatory. I’ll be there. I’d love to have a new deal, but I’ll be there.’ ”

That’s essentially the same thing Bechta said in an interview with the Press-Gazette on June 1. At that time, Bechta said Harris’ situation would not turn into another Mike McKenzie or Javon Walker case, where both players insisted they would never play for the Packers again and eventually forced the team to trade them.

Bechta said on Wednesday that as far as he is concerned, nothing has changed in the last month. He said he called Brandt, the Packers vice president of player finance, and Thompson, the team’s general manager, to relay Harris’ comments.

“Heââ €šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢ll be there, and it won’t be an issue,” Bechta said. “If he’s not there, I would be more surprised than anyone.”

ny10804
06-21-2006, 09:26 PM
In celebration:

http://ourworld.cs.com/xz%202gUnZuP/Vickrun.gif

I knew Al would report!

Rastak
06-21-2006, 09:43 PM
Al has no leverage...he'll be there. His attitude is the only real question.

Joemailman
06-21-2006, 10:35 PM
Agent says Packers CB Harris won't hold out
Associated Press
6/21/2006

GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP) -- Veteran cornerback Al Harris will report for the start of Green Bay Packer training camp July 28, despite his hints that he might be a holdout over contract issues, his agent says.

"Oh, yeah. That is not an issue," agent Jack Bechta told The Associated Press when reached at his office Wednesday afternoon. "We'll be in training camp."

Bechta said he spoke with Harris earlier Wednesday and had assurances from his client that he wouldn't be staying home in five weeks.

"According to my conversations with him, as (recently) as today, there's no holdout, there's no games being played. He'll go in and practice like he always does every year," Bechta said. "The guy hasn't missed a game (his entire career), and he doesn't want to jeopardize that streak."

The comments came as the Packers concluded their offseason workouts Wednesday. Harris did not attend the 14 optional organized team activities and also boycotted an earlier voluntary minicamp.

He participated in a mandatory post-draft minicamp in early May but hasn't been with the team since then.

Harris, 31, is under contract through 2009 after signing a six-year, $18.6 million extension before the start of the 2004 season. The deal included $7 million in bonuses that weren't all guaranteed. Harris has a base salary of $1.5 million this year.

Bechta said a renegotiated contract for Harris is desired, but he and Harris don't plan to press the issue with the Packers to get a deal done as early as the preseason.

He also said Harris has no hard feelings about the Packers signing four-time Pro Bowl cornerback Charles Woodson to a seven-year, $39 million contract as a free agent this offseason.

Woodson is expected to start opposite Harris and could earn as much as $10.2 million this year.

"He was actually part of the recruiting process (for Woodson)," Bechta said. "He doesn't want to penalize the Packers for going out and signing a quality guy."

Woodson also skipped all of the OTA sessions.

The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported Wednesday that Harris had said it was "not 100 percent" that he would report when the team starts training camp. The newspaper said he was reached at his home in Coral Springs, Fla.

Packers general manager Ted Thompson and head coach Mike McCarthy had little reaction to the published comments.

"I'm not going to discuss contracts. We don't do that in the media. I don't believe in communicating through the media," McCarthy said.

"I think you're always concerned when you're one of your players seems to be unhappy. But, it's part of the business," Thompson said.

Defensive coordinator Bob Sanders said he recently spoke with Harris and the cornerback didn't indicate he would miss the start of training camp.

"We'll have to cross that bridge when it comes. Hopefully, everything will work out," Sanders said.

At least Al gave us something to talk about for awhile.

falco
06-21-2006, 10:40 PM
Doesn't this remind you of something...

Donald Driver is going to hold out.

Donald Driver says he will never hold out.

Donald Driver gets extension.

Anti-Polar Bear
06-21-2006, 10:53 PM
Doesn't this remind you of something...

Donald Driver is going to hold out.

Donald Driver says he will never hold out.

Donald Driver gets extension.

Javon Walker is going to hold out.

Javon Walker says he will hold out.

Javon Walker doesnt get an extension.

Ted Thompson fucked up.

OS PA
06-22-2006, 02:09 AM
More like this Tank

Javon Walker says he is going to hold out.

Javon Walker doesn't hold out

Javon Walker plays and get injured

Javon Walker says he is going to hold out

Javon Walker gets traded

I'm assuming Al Harris will follow less than half of JWalks game-plan, hopefully stopping at the "and gets injured part".

SlimPickens
06-22-2006, 07:16 AM
Javon Walker says he'll never play for Green Bay again.

Didn't hear that from the other guys. End of story.

pittstang5
06-22-2006, 07:28 AM
Sounds like his agent has a decent head on his shoulders - wanted to find out right away what was going on then immediately dismissed the "rumor" that Harris might hold out. His agent is probably telling Harris - "Hey, keep your F'n mouth shut, we'll get a deal done as long as you keep it down."

red
06-22-2006, 07:31 AM
just as long as harris doesn't show up to camp, then start the "TO plan to get more money" when he's there
or pull a sharpe and go through everything and threaten to hold out the night before the first game

Rastak
06-22-2006, 07:40 AM
just as long as harris doesn't show up to camp, then start the "TO plan to get more money" when he's there
or pull a sharpe and go through everything and threaten to hold out the night before the first game

Or pull any other number of stunts. I doubt it, the guy has four years left and I don't think he's trying to get traded like Walker. Time will tell.

MJZiggy
06-22-2006, 08:01 AM
Welcome to the forum SlimPickens. Yes, there is that little "I will never wear G&G again" detail to remember.

MadtownPacker
06-22-2006, 08:08 AM
Welcome Slim.

Glad to hear Harris is not a walker like piece of trash traitor.

MJZiggy
06-22-2006, 08:18 AM
Not so fast, Mad. This morning's Wilde article suggests that he is. I wish everyone would make up his mind...

red
06-22-2006, 08:21 AM
Not so fast, Mad. This morning's Wilde article suggests that he is. I wish everyone would make up his mind...

that might have been written before his agent said anything

and of course reporters don't care if they have proof that shows their story is wrong, they'll run it anyways and do their part to try and make it come true

woodbuck27
06-22-2006, 08:52 AM
Sounds like his agent has a decent head on his shoulders - wanted to find out right away what was going on then immediately dismissed the "rumor" that Harris might hold out. His agent is probably telling Harris - "Hey, keep your F'n mouth shut, we'll get a deal done as long as you keep it down."

Yup. This is what I said on a thread yesterday:

" Now . . .what exactly are those options, that you may explore in your future Al, if you violate your contract with the Packers? I'm sure the Packers GM can explain to you the Packer Options, if you arn't back on the job at the end of July. Maybe you might advise your agent to talk to TT soon. Your saying way over the top too much, to stand you in any graces with 'the Packers'."

Rastak
06-22-2006, 08:56 AM

Yup. This is what I said on a thread yesterday:

" Now . . .what exactly are those options, that you may explore in your future Al, if you violate your contract with the Packers? I'm sure the Packers GM can explain to you the Packer Options, if you arn't back on the job at the end of July. Maybe you might advise your agent to talk to TT soon. Your saying way over the top too much, to stand you in any graces with 'the Packers'."

Woodbuck, I think it's important for neither side to get nasty on this. The Packers have lots of options but Harris does have one or two himself.
I say the Packers hold most of the cards but Harris could turn himself into a royal PITA as one option...maybe he doesn't have the personallity. Option two is the fantasy hamstring injury that lingers all year. If I were GM, what would I do? Damn, I'm glad I'm not GM...this is a tough one. Maybe converting some bonus into gaurenteed money is the right was to handle it as someone else here suggested.

woodbuck27
06-22-2006, 08:57 AM

Jason Wilde said what?

whaaaaaat , what, whaaaaat , . . . . . . .

Jason Wilde (to me) saying anything - doesn't hold much water. He's on 'the one track mine' boat.

Scott Campbell
06-22-2006, 09:01 AM
Woodbuck, I think it's important for neither side to get nasty on this. The Packers have lots of options but Harris does have one or two himself.
I say the Packers hold most of the cards but Harris could turn himself into a royal PITA as one option...maybe he doesn't have the personallity. Option two is the fantasy hamstring injury that lingers all year. If I were GM, what would I do? Damn, I'm glad I'm not GM...this is a tough one. Maybe converting some bonus into gaurenteed money is the right was to handle it as someone else here suggested.

If he employs either of those tactics, he'll find himself at the end of the season still under contract to the Packers for 3 more years, but now he's 33 instead of 32. I'm not sure how that enhances his chances of getting paid. He'll have hurt the Packers, but he hasn't helped himself.

Rastak
06-22-2006, 09:06 AM

If he employs either of those tactics, he'll find himself at the end of the season still under contract to the Packers for 3 more years, but now he's 33 instead of 32. I'm not sure how that enhances his chances of getting paid. He'll have hurt the Packers, but he hasn't helped himself.

Yea, it for sure wouldn't get him a dime, just vengence if that's what he was after at some point. I don't know if he'd get much more in free agency if the Packers cut him next year because he was pulling one of those two options. Like you said, 32 years old....probably wouldn't be a lot of money in that market.

woodbuck27
06-22-2006, 09:13 AM
"Maybe converting some bonus into gaurenteed money is the right was to handle it as someone else here suggested." Rastak

I do not disagree with that suggestion or possibility. What piss's me off Rastak is all the moaning (and the media reaction to it) we have to put up with over players that we count on, wanting to re-work a contract to suit whatever dam need comes to their mind.

It's the distraction of it all that bothers me. It really can't be a tug of war situation that results, as in this case, the Packers hold all the cards and we all generally want and need Al Harris in TC. TT certainly is counting on that as he's under contract.

If anyone believes this issue is going to simply blow over, I believe they are wrong. Al Harris's agent will talk to TT. . .soon and something may or may not get resolved. . . but outright handing over more money to Harris (in his approach up to today) isn't going to be one of them. If you look at Packer History I rest my case there.

Al Harris may get something written in, that gives him more money through incentive's, but his approach to this matter has been wrong to date. He needs to let his agent do ALL the talking.

Al Harris must keep his clam shut, and be the Al Harris we thought we knew.

PaCkFan_n_MD
06-22-2006, 09:20 AM
am glad to hear he's going to report b/c I was actually getting excited about having and good secdonary again. last time our secondary had this much potential was when we had butler, sharper, and MM.

Row 67
06-22-2006, 09:21 AM
The fact he's 32 and the league just increased the salary cap is the only reason he's doing this. He has NO leverage next year, when he's 33. He probably knows that IF he is going to get more money, the time is now. He knows GB has some room, he knows he's getting older, he knows he's got a little leverage because he's still considered a good player.

If GB has a little salary cap room left this year, give him some sort of salary increase in his base pay, but I hope they don't go give him some big roster bonus and push any of this into future years. It'll just be dead money.

jack's smirking revenge
06-22-2006, 09:36 AM
What a nice surprise. Maybe he realized that he has ZERO leverage. He'll probably see his money in the offseason.

tyler

FavreChild
06-22-2006, 09:48 AM
Al will be fine. Everybody chill.

http://www.diehardsteel.com/files/images/alharris.jpg

RashanGary
06-22-2006, 12:54 PM
I was one of the 17% that voted yes.

I think Harris is just as serious as Walker. He just doesn't have the leverage becuase he has a long term deal. I hope Thompson just makes him sit and rot because this is a situation where he very easily could.

Harlan Huckleby
06-22-2006, 12:59 PM
I think Harris is just as serious as Walker. He just doesn't have the leverage becuase he has a long term deal.

The length of his deal doesn't mean much. If Harris has 2 years or 20 years left on his deal, he has the same ability to force a trade through a holdout.

Harris is 4 years older than Walker, the clock is ticking much faster for him, he can't afford to miss a year. And if he is underpaid, I don't think it is by that much (although too complicated for me to evaluate.) These are the significant factors.

RashanGary
06-22-2006, 01:12 PM
The length of his deal doesn't mean much. If Harris has 2 years or 20 years left on his deal, he has the same ability to force a trade through a holdout.

Harris is 4 years older than Walker, the clock is ticking much faster for him, he can't afford to miss a year. And if he is underpaid, I don't think it is by that much (although too complicated for me to evaluate.) These are the significant factors.

The biggest difference appears to be the length of their remaining deals. Walker only had one year left. He was going to sit out, show up the final 6 games and then go into UFA. He would have to give up the first 10 weeks of pay checks but he woudln't be risking injury and 1 mil is nothing compared to the 10 mil he'd get in UFA up front. He had every right and the power to sit. If I were him at that point, I would probably do the same thing because he was very likely to get paid in UFA.

Harris on the other hand has 3 or 4 years left. He would be losing 10/16ths of the seasons salary and when the season was done, he woudln't be in UFA. He'd still be property of the Green Bay Packers. He'd have to do it again the next year, losing another 10/16ths of his money. If he was stubborn he would do it again the following year and lose 10/16ths of that paycheck. At the end of the day, he'd have less money and no shot at UFA. He has no leverage becuase of the length of his deal. I'm interested to see how you view it.