PDA

View Full Version : NFL Supremacy? After the Dallas game, where do we rank?

SnakeLH2006
09-18-2008, 01:59 AM
I've seen all sides and the AFC has dominated for years for the best teams. This year it looks like Dallas is damn good, but my question is this? Don't they look great early every year for the last 4 years and fade losing games late in the year and bow out early WITHOUT winning one game (Dallas hasn't won a playoff game since 1996....just look at that stat).

The AFC looks OK, I mean the Steelers would match up well and prob. kick our ass right now. Real solid on both lines with a tested hardcore QB impervious to injury (I can attest being in motorcycle accidents the last two summers that weren't my fault, yet I still walk and Ben is a beast). Ben and the Steeler are tough.

Indy looks a lot like Brett in his years 5 years ago....good yet weak around him (they tie up so much money in their top 10 players they have nothing but grubbs around him and it shows...aka 10 wins. Plus Peyton is 32 and never gonna put up 50 TD's again. He's declining and looking gimpy so to say he regains his 28 year old form is not valid. 10-11 wins tops for the rest of his career. Retires at 36.

SD.....well 0-2. That was easy. They are done esp. with Merriman being toasted.

Patriots....Well they will prob. make the playoffs. But that whole damn team is old and Brady will be 32 coming off MCL and ACL surgery next year. I won't write them off next year, but this year? Checked!

NFC

Giants look good. Dallas looks good. Eagles look good. Packers look good. Anyone I'm missing? All 3 teams are battle tested and good but take out each other.

If we beat Dallas, we are the top team in the NFL. If we lose, it looks like last year and we fight for #2 or #3 as a seed, as the NFC division fight with the Eagles, Cowboys, and Giants will hurt them all within their division.

What's your take after the Dallas game? Give both outlooks playoff wise whether we win or lose. I don't think we'll win that game, but won't be surprised if we do. If we do, then BOOYAH.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

WIN=13-3 meaning we are the class of the NFC and dominate opponents all year.

LOSS= 11-5 or 10-6 at the worst, thus, easily winning the NFC North and we'll get the #2 seed as the NFC South is terrible.

mission
09-18-2008, 04:06 AM
If we beat Dallas, we should be considered by the pundits to be the best team in the NFL (for whatever that's worth)...

The AFC doesn't seem to have it this year... I watched that Pitt vs Cleveland game and I can't same they impressed me. Even Polamolu (sp) who I used to have a mancrush on looks like a beefed up version of his former self (Roy Williams - DAL).. not the USC boy I used to see flying around 3 steps ahead of the ball. He looked one step late all game.

I just don't see it... if we beat Dallas it's because we played a complete game and improved in areas requiring improvement. If that's the case, then further improvement can be assumed and anything less than getting to the Super Bowl would be a huge disappointment for me personally. If we lose it's because we're lacking more than I thought (or Dallas plays flawlessly) and hell, I'll have to re-adjust my expectations.

Like everyone is saying, this Sunday is the real test for us. I can claim all day I knew Rodgers would be good but not until this weekend will *any* of us know how good.

I didn't predict a 3-0 start so even I will be pleasantly surprised ... LETS GO PACK!

KYPack
09-18-2008, 08:17 AM
An NFC team which shouldn't be overlooked is Carolina. John Fox is on the hot seat and he showed his team and the NFL a lot in the early going.

He put Steve Smith in his place and showed a lot of guts benching a guy who was his best player. Fox called Smith on his crazy bullshit and established he is in charge of the team. Now a contrite Smith returns to a 2-0 team full of fire to show he can be a team player. The team has renewed respect for Fox and has a hot QB in Jake Delhomme.

These guys are not kids and know that they have to play hard in what could be their last shot. If this team keeps it up, they could be a factor.

sheepshead
09-18-2008, 08:27 AM
Who cares, they hand out the trophy in February.

SkinBasket
09-18-2008, 08:37 AM
I agree that it's too early to make anything out of this game other than a W or a L. See GB vs NYG last year as an example.

gbgary
09-18-2008, 09:39 AM
just going by what's in my own head (no jokes please :D ) i put us 4th in the nfc and after the dallas game we'll still be 4th.

oregonpackfan
09-18-2008, 10:05 AM
Another NFC team that should not be overlooked is the Philadelphia Eagles.

Sure they lost to the Cowboys but they put up a great game. It is a long season which gives the opportunity for the Eagles to fine turne their play.

Donavan McNabb showed that when he is healthy he can be one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL. He was very impressive in that game.

Of course, with any team the injury variable is a huge factor. Good teams which are hard hit by injuries lose their effectiveness. Conversely, good teams with a minimum amount of injuries to key players maintain their overall team strength.

Harlan Huckleby
09-18-2008, 01:24 PM
If we beat Dallas, we should be considered by the pundits to be the best team in the NFL (for whatever that's worth)...

I think Dallas is a little better because of their superior lines. But Green Bay is close.

Anything can happen in one game. I don't think GB beating the Cowboys will convince that many people that the packers are the cream of the NFL.

texaspackerbacker
09-18-2008, 01:36 PM
As far as quality/power ranking is concerned, yes--win against the Cowboys and be considered #1, lose and drop some.

However, I would disagree about being consigned to battling for a #2 or #3 seed. The Cowboys just might have a tougher schedule, playing in the NFC East, so it's possible that they could beat the Packers, win the NFC East, but STILL finish with a worse record than the Packers.

Let's just beat 'em and not have to worry about that, though.

CaliforniaCheez
09-18-2008, 06:17 PM
The Packers are 2-0 in the division. They have a good start toward the first goal of winning the division. That gets them into the playoffs.

Dallas is a Conference game which is important for tie breakers not to mention head to head competition.

Defeating the Cowboys gives the Packers the advantage if they finish with the same record.

It is the biggest game before the bye week.

The Packer defense has to come up big.

mission
09-18-2008, 06:20 PM
The Packers are 2-0 in the division. They have a good start toward the first goal of winning the division. That gets them into the playoffs.

Dallas is a Conference game which is important for tie breakers not to mention head to head competition.

Defeating the Cowboys gives the Packers the advantage if they finish with the same record.

2+ Dallas turnovers will guarantee a win for us. Every chance our secondary has to make a play on the ball has to be converted.

But some of these blowout Packer predictions seem kind of funny but wow if we somehow came out and played perfect ball... I dunno, Packer Nation could be on fire. I'd almost feel bad for Brett then ... almost.

Sunday night can't come soon enough. I'm stoked!

gbgary
09-18-2008, 10:50 PM

i agree but it's the Packer offense that has to come up big. hold the ball and keep it away from the dallas offense. get first downs!!! get points every possession. 3 and out will kill us. the D needs to stay fresh and energetic. the less they're on the field the better.

SnakeLH2006
09-21-2008, 01:28 AM

2+ Dallas turnovers will guarantee a win for us. Every chance our secondary has to make a play on the ball has to be converted.

But some of these blowout Packer predictions seem kind of funny but wow if we somehow came out and played perfect ball... I dunno, Packer Nation could be on fire. I'd almost feel bad for Brett then ... almost.

Sunday night can't come soon enough. I'm stoked!

Well..it's right around the corner and I'm stoked too. This thread isn't about Super Bowl predictions, just saying who the class of the NFL is. This game will say tons about not only Arod's progress (huge game for him) but McCarthy as a coach (he is a top 5 IMO, but this game is a testament to if he he learned his lessons from last year where he let Favre gun it up early on trying to win a shoot-out). I agree with a previous post that we need to be consistent and control the clock. That MNF game last week scared the hell outta me with Dallas scoring points in bunches. We'll see what happens, but I'm thinking win in GB. The line was even a few days ago (meaning the Cowboys are perceived as the better team being in GB, but the new line is Cowboys by 3....and I heard they have NEVER won at Lambeau). Go Pack!

packerbacker1234
09-21-2008, 04:37 PM
A lot of power ranking lists are getting busted.

The bills are magicaly 3-0, the Giants may have tunred out to not have such a stellar defense anymore, barely escaping the bengals at home, and the Panther's got worse with the return of arguably their best player.

Then, there is the packers, who have come back right where they left off, and dallas who is in the same boat. Yeah, if we beat dallas, sure we may be considered the kings of the NFC for a week or so.

However, the AFC dominance is slowly coming to an end. The powers are shifting, and I think we may see a lot of NEW playoff teams this year.