PDA

View Full Version : Wade Phillips was up for Packers job

Brando19
09-18-2008, 08:15 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/rumors/nfl

Before Packers GM Ted Thompson hired Mike McCarthy he interviewed Wade Phillips, who had been his position coach when he played linebacker in Houston. Asked if he and Thompson were still friends, Phillips said with a laugh: "We're still friends. There's no hard feelings that I didn't play him when he was with the Oilers. He let that go, so I let the other go." -- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

texaspackerbacker
09-18-2008, 09:34 PM
Phillips is an OK coach--easy going and a good manager of high price, high profile talent.

Jason Garrett--a Yale man, is the brains of the outfit--on offense, anyway.

Phillips is nowhere near as good as McCarthy, though, at making it happen with less big name talent--I won't say less talent--just not such big reputations.

Jimx29
09-18-2008, 10:32 PM
maybe he (tt) was to busy with wade to talk to mooch :|

BZnDallas
09-19-2008, 12:02 AM
i can't stand wade phillips... listening to his press conferences down here in big d he just sounds like an idiot... :crazy:
hes the next inline of 'yes' men to jerry jones... i don't even know how much power he really has... between jerry 'the crook' jones and jason 'im a take your job you fat slob' garrett, hes just the head marshmellow man for the dallas cowbitches... haha...

hey TO, get your popcorn ready!!! :drma:

Tarlam!
09-19-2008, 04:37 AM
--a Yale man,

Tex, any reason you pronounce the fact? Are you a Yale man? Maybe you are on record for your opinion here about this, but I missed it and I am curious.

KYPack
09-19-2008, 06:58 AM
i can't stand wade phillips... listening to his press conferences down here in big d he just sounds like an idiot... :crazy:
hes the next inline of 'yes' men to jerry jones... i don't even know how much power he really has... between jerry 'the crook' jones and jason 'im a take your job you fat slob' garrett, hes just the head marshmellow man for the dallas cowbitches... haha...

He's a capable guy, don't kid yourself. He would have been a disaster for the Pack, he needs vets that can handle his "easy rider" approach. Wade is a first rate defensive mind. He understands the 3-4 and the 4-3 as well as any coach in the league. He was the perfect guy to come in and untangle the Dallas D. One of his 1st moves was to get Roy Williams to lose weight. His next move was to get Williams fat butt off the field in cover situations.

All that said, Wade is the perfect short term solution. He's right for now, and when his soft approach wears thin, he's gone and Garrett steps in. Garrett might be the smarter dude and better educated, but ol' Wade might be the right man in the right spot.

DonHutson
09-19-2008, 09:04 AM
I always had the impression that was more of a courtesy interview. He never seemed like a real candidate to me.

sheepshead
09-19-2008, 09:16 AM
Well no shit. What is the point of this thread?

BZnDallas
09-19-2008, 09:20 AM

He's a capable guy, don't kid yourself. He would have been a disaster for the Pack, he needs vets that can handle his "easy rider" approach. Wade is a first rate defensive mind. He understands the 3-4 and the 4-3 as well as any coach in the league. He was the perfect guy to come in and untangle the Dallas D. One of his 1st moves was to get Roy Williams to lose weight. His next move was to get Williams fat butt off the field in cover situations.

All that said, Wade is the perfect short term solution. He's right for now, and when his soft approach wears thin, he's gone and Garrett steps in. Garrett might be the smarter dude and better educated, but ol' Wade might be the right man in the right spot.

i can understand what you are saying KYPack... but look at his track record... if i remember correctly he can't win playoff games... hes had plenty of talented teams and can't get the job done... that is what matters in todays game... what happens when he gets to dallas?... so far playoff loss... i unfortunatley think that will change this year, but like you said look at all the talent... look at it this way, he would have lost the super bowl barry switzer won (with jimmys team) with the cowbitches had he been the head man in charge... LMAO... i guess i'm just not sold on the guy, and nothing he has said or done has changed my mind, yet... maybe i'm a lil biased... haha... but hey i can admit that... lol

go pack go!!

Patler
09-19-2008, 09:47 AM

Perhaps to discuss the Phillips/Thompson relationship.
...or to compare Phillips and McCarthy.
...or to ponder "what if" scenarios.

You seem to have a habit of criticizing individuals for starting threads. Why?
If a thread is of interest to others, they will comment and the thread will continue.
If a thread is not of interest to others, it will soon become buried pages down.
There is absolutely no need to criticize anyone for bringing up a subject for possible discussion.

Brando19
09-19-2008, 03:25 PM

If a thread is of interest to others, they will comment and the thread will continue.
If a thread is not of interest to others, it will soon become buried pages down.
There is absolutely no need to criticize anyone for bringing up a subject for possible discussion.

Thank you, Patler.

I started the thread to discuss the Phillips/Thompson relationship. I thought the comment Phillips made about playing Thompson was interesting.

cpk1994
09-19-2008, 03:54 PM

Thank you, Patler.

I started the thread to discuss the Phillips/Thompson relationship. I thought the comment Phillips made about playing Thompson was interesting.I think what the "What is the point of this thread" is the fact that the MJS brought up an item that people already knew about(Wade Phillips intrerviewing for the Packers job) like it was news. Why talk about something you knew years ago?

sheepshead
09-19-2008, 05:03 PM
thank you cpk

Patler
09-19-2008, 05:34 PM
I think what the "What is the point of this thread" is the fact that the MJS brought up an item that people already knew about(Wade Phillips intrerviewing for the Packers job) like it was news. Why talk about something you knew years ago?

Sheepshead;

I see you thanked cpk for this comment, but if that is really what you meant, why did you refer to "this thread" as opposed to "the article" or some such other reference?

You aren't fooling me. You have openly and often criticized people for starting threads, even asking if they think at all before starting them. I suspect you were criticizing the thread this time, too; not the underlying article. If I'm wrong, I apologize.

However, if that was your intent, I will respond to that criticism too. The link was to a Fox Sports quote from the Journal, not to an entire JS article. I think it was a quote from one of those blog entries that become part of the "next opponent" articles that will also tell us many, many other things that most of us already know, such as that Romo grew up in Wisconsin, backup QB Brooks Bollinger played for the Badgers, and Cowboys receivers coach Ray Sherman spent five years coaching the Packers. If you expect newspaper articles to bring up only information rabid fans such as us don't already know, very few articles would be written.

mraynrand
09-19-2008, 06:37 PM
If you expect newspaper articles to bring up only information rabid fans such as us don't already know, very few articles would be written.

True. And there should be magazines or websites that cater more to rabid fans - like Packerrats, for example.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-19-2008, 06:49 PM
--a Yale man,

Tex, any reason you pronounce the fact? Are you a Yale man? Maybe you are on record for your opinion here about this, but I missed it and I am curious.

Tex isn't a Yale man.

Neither is Jason Garrett. But, for Tex, all those elitist ivy schools are the same.

bobblehead
09-20-2008, 12:21 AM
how many playoff games has wade won in his entire coaching career?

the_idle_threat
09-20-2008, 12:37 AM
kissingsuzykolber.com has the inside scoop on the management and coaching relationships between Wade Phillips, Jason Garrett and ol' Jerry Jones.

sheepshead
09-20-2008, 02:04 PM
I think what the "What is the point of this thread" is the fact that the MJS brought up an item that people already knew about(Wade Phillips intrerviewing for the Packers job) like it was news. Why talk about something you knew years ago?

Sheepshead;

I see you thanked cpk for this comment, but if that is really what you meant, why did you refer to "this thread" as opposed to "the article" or some such other reference?

You aren't fooling me. You have openly and often criticized people for starting threads, even asking if they think at all before starting them. I suspect you were criticizing the thread this time, too; not the underlying article. If I'm wrong, I apologize.

However, if that was your intent, I will respond to that criticism too. The link was to a Fox Sports quote from the Journal, not to an entire JS article. I think it was a quote from one of those blog entries that become part of the "next opponent" articles that will also tell us many, many other things that most of us already know, such as that Romo grew up in Wisconsin, backup QB Brooks Bollinger played for the Badgers, and Cowboys receivers coach Ray Sherman spent five years coaching the Packers. If you expect newspaper articles to bring up only information rabid fans such as us don't already know, very few articles would be written.

Who fucking cares what you think. Leave me the fuck alone you mindless twit.

Brando19
09-20-2008, 02:19 PM

Sheepshead;

You're such a baby. Such a fucking little baby. Soon...everyone on here will be tired of your shit. You are the kind that makes a good forum turn sour.

MJZiggy
09-20-2008, 02:26 PM

Sheepshead;

Do you recall what we discussed about comments like these? We had an agreement.

sheepshead
09-20-2008, 02:46 PM

Sheepshead;

I do, but somehow, I am not entitled to an opinion according to some. I remember this guy now, he authored one of my favorite threads ever. Something to the effect of "Maybe TT and MM think Arod gives this team a better chance to win" -brilliant-

Patler
09-20-2008, 02:58 PM

Sheepshead;

You post a remark, and others are not allowed to comment or disagree? Interesting concept, but it does not work well on a public board.

I guess I could have made the same response as you just have to your very first statement in this thread.

Now, as for mindless twits........

Patler
09-20-2008, 02:59 PM

Sheepshead;

I do, but somehow, I am not entitled to an opinion according to some. I remember this guy now, he authored one of my favorite threads ever. Something to the effect of "Maybe TT and MM think Arod gives this team a better chance to win" -brilliant-

Of course your are entitled to an opinion, and I am entitled to disagree with your opinion. You expressed your opinion, I expressed my disagreement. It is really very simple.

sheepshead
09-20-2008, 03:09 PM
Fuck You

retailguy
09-20-2008, 03:11 PM
Ok, I don't understand the above comment, but lets get this back to football or let it die. Take your disagreement to PM's sheep if you can't keep it clean.

No reason for this in the football room.

sheepshead
09-20-2008, 07:06 PM
Point taken, this guy is a nut, that somehow thinks if any of his lame-brain thoughts are challenged he can follow you around the forum like some sick stalker. He really needs to a get life.

Patler
09-20-2008, 07:43 PM
Point taken, this guy is a nut, that somehow thinks if any of his lame-brain thoughts are challenged he can follow you around the forum like some sick stalker. He really needs to a get life.

I think I was challenging your comment, about the value of an article about Phillips having been interviewed for the Packer job (Phillips was the subject of this thread, after all.) You expressed disdain for the article (or this thread). It is my position that these types of game related articles occur all the time, and should be expected.

Your response?

Tyrone Bigguns
09-20-2008, 07:50 PM
Let me assist Sheep.

fuck you!! :wink:

Lurker64
09-20-2008, 08:04 PM
And I thought this place was getting better...

MadtownPacker
09-21-2008, 12:52 AM
Take your disagreement to PM's sheep if you can't keep it clean.No youre wrong. It is one thing if both parties want to partake in verbal sparring but Patler does not wash to engage in this form of debate. Some do but he doesnt and I think that is clear and that is his right. Harassing someone via PM is not acceptable either.

MadtownPacker
09-21-2008, 12:53 AM
Let me assist Sheep.

fuck you!! :wink:NO you never instigate shit.

Tarlam!
09-21-2008, 01:13 AM

This has nothing to do with the thread or football, for which I apologize.

The M.O. of Sheepdip is really quite predictable and if you care to recall, "I told ya so" when he first emerged.

Sheepdip has a very low threshhold for criticism directed his way. His standard lines when he finds himself in a conflict started by his outrageous personal attacks are "F.O. , don't stalk me and get a life". Even well thought out contrary opinions will set off the spiral of tirades until ultimately, he disappears for a few days to licks his wounds. Most likely during these short absences, Sheepdip is on another forum employing the same tactics until he gets his ass kicked there, too. Then, when the forum circuit he has built up for himself comes full circle, he is back on PR and the merry-go-'round repeats anew.

He perceives himself as the authority on what constitues a good and valuable post and what does not. He has little or no regard for the posting community he enters into.

If he did, he would have to know that Patler is the single most respected poster on PackerRats.

It's actually quite tragic that Sheepdip is schizophrenic, because he really seems capable of making constructive football contributions. Personally, I suspect the abusive alter ego getting in Sheepdip's way is alchohol induced . Heck, I oughta know, right gang?

Brando19
09-21-2008, 07:41 AM

This has nothing to do with the thread or football, for which I apologize.

The M.O. of Sheepdip is really quite predictable and if you care to recall, "I told ya so" when he first emerged.

Sheepdip has a very low threshhold for criticism directed his way. His standard lines when he finds himself in a conflict started by his outrageous personal attacks are "F.O. , don't stalk me and get a life". Even well thought out contrary opinions will set off the spiral of tirades until ultimately, he disappears for a few days to licks his wounds. Most likely during these short absences, Sheepdip is on another forum employing the same tactics until he gets his ass kicked there, too. Then, when the forum circuit he has built up for himself comes full circle, he is back on PR and the merry-go-'round repeats anew.

He perceives himself as the authority on what constitues a good and valuable post and what does not. He has little or no regard for the posting community he enters into.

If he did, he would have to know that Patler is the single most respected poster on PackerRats.

It's actually quite tragic that Sheepdip is schizophrenic, because he really seems capable of making constructive football contributions. Personally, I suspect the abusive alter ego getting in Sheepdip's way is alchohol induced . Heck, I oughta know, right gang?

:bow:

Tyrone Bigguns
09-21-2008, 12:29 PM
Let me assist Sheep.

fuck you!! :wink:NO you never instigate shit.

I'm not instigating....one of those people is being an ass...and i'm just imitating him.

BallHawk
09-21-2008, 12:36 PM

Lame-brained thoughts? Dude, anybody would agree that Patler is a valued member of this forum, much more valued than you are. Guy actually contributes some damn good analysis compared to you who just flames and clogs up the Romper Room with countless Obama threads. :roll:

Pacopete4
09-21-2008, 12:48 PM
talking shit back to shepshead is not going to do this forum or us any good.. just let it go and LETS GO PACK!.... and panthers!