PDA

View Full Version : Well, I just blew my Life.

Tarlam!
09-19-2008, 04:51 AM
I just blew it. I was on my second interiew for my dream job and I blew it.
So, true to form, I will put it in a thread and have the admins around here work harder!

Background: I have been job searching officially since July 17. I sent out resumes to 287 companies. that is not a ficticious number. I employed a consultancy at the cost of 20 k to write my CV, have my photo taken, research potential employers, copy my CV 287 times and, ulimately, go to the post office in my stead.

Which they did.

Of the 287 sent CV, I've received 280 back with very kindly written "thanks, but, no thanks" kinda notes.

Cut to The Chase: 7 companies found me worthy of an interiew. 1 I hated, the other 6 were OK. Of those six second interviews, I found myself in love with one company. Tchibo. the 4th largest coffee roaster the world possesses. They didn't know it, but, they were looking for a Sales and Marketing VP for their professional( i.e. non retail) business.

Right up my alley.

Anyways, I blew the second interview, because I was so ill-prepared, arrogent, stupid, etc.

I just thought you should know, is all.

P-S. For J and Z: No, I wasn't drunk. but, I am now.

Kiwon
09-19-2008, 05:56 AM
Keep your chin up, Tarlam!

hoosier
09-19-2008, 07:55 AM
I just blew it. I was on my second interiew for my dream job and I blew it.
So, true to form, I will put it in a thread and have the admins around here work harder!

Background: I have been job searching officially since July 17. I sent out resumes to 287 companies. that is not a ficticious number. I employed a consultancy at the cost of 20 k to write my CV, have my photo taken, research potential employers, copy my CV 287 times and, ulimately, go to the post office in my stead.

Which they did.

Of the 287 sent CV, I've received 280 back with very kindly written "thanks, but, no thanks" kinda notes.

Cut to The Chase: 7 companies found me worthy of an interiew. 1 I hated, the other 6 were OK. Of those six second interviews, I found myself in love with one company. Tchibo. the 4th largest coffee roaster the world possesses. They didn't know it, but, they were looking for a Sales and Marketing VP for their professional( i.e. non retail) business.

Right up my alley.

Anyways, I blew the second interview, because I was so ill-prepared, arrogent, stupid, etc.

You say you paid "20K" for that. Do you mean 20,000 USD???

SkinBasket
09-19-2008, 08:38 AM
Tarlam's a big roller. You gotta spend money to make money sometimes.

Don't worry Tarlam. You can do better than 4th place coffee beans. Maybe you should focus your job search on the Upper Midwest region of the United States.

Scott Campbell
09-19-2008, 09:06 AM
It's a tough time to be looking for a job.

GrnBay007
09-19-2008, 09:09 AM
Best of luck Tarlam!!

Maybe you should focus your job search on the Upper Midwest region of the United States.

Hey, why not? Your heart is in Green Bay Tarlam. :D

Zool
09-19-2008, 09:11 AM
And there's plenty of Amish for you to hang out with and speak German.

MadtownPacker
09-19-2008, 09:12 AM
See the problen is you live around too many White people. Seriously man, if you lived in a place where you where a rare commodity you might be more atractive to employers. You live around people who make fine German engineering, what do you expect.

I agree with the others, give the US a try.

Scott Campbell
09-19-2008, 09:39 AM
See the problen is you live around too many White people.

You live in CA. What the hell do you know about living around white people?

oregonpackfan
09-19-2008, 11:17 AM

You live in CA. What the hell do you know about living around white people?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

MadtownPacker
09-19-2008, 12:03 PM

You live in CA. What the hell do you know about living around white people?That's what Im saying. Here Tarlam would be King.

Freak Out
09-19-2008, 12:35 PM

I thought you stopped drinking?

Tarlam!
09-19-2008, 12:55 PM

Actually, yes. And, Skin is absolutely correct, ya gotta invest sometimes.

The only issue with me coming to the USA is not having a Green Card. I would LOVE to work and live in the USA. And, I bet a couple of companies out there would be delighted to have my services. They just wouldn't be allowed to employ me by law is all.

And, I wouldn't give a toss where I landed. I mean, there are nicer places than others in the USA, but I wouldn't care if it were the worst place. Your worst place is still better than 99% of other places around the world.

Harlan Huckleby
09-19-2008, 12:56 PM
I'll marry you.

Tarlam!
09-19-2008, 12:58 PM
I'll marry you.

Fine, but I aint having the operation done. Thanks BTW.

Harlan Huckleby
09-19-2008, 01:00 PM
you'll like CA.

bobblehead
09-19-2008, 01:17 PM
Don't get down..I always say that there is no such thing as "one dream scenario" in life. Opportunities come along all the time and if you are looking for it, you will find it. You're bummed, this one didn't work out. Keep you chin up and be on the lookout for the next one and grab it tight.

hoosier
09-19-2008, 01:25 PM

The only issue with me coming to the USA is not having a Green Card. I would LOVE to work and live in the USA. And, I bet a couple of companies out there would be delighted to have my services. They just wouldn't be allowed to employ me by law is all.

And, I wouldn't give a toss where I landed. I mean, there are nicer places than others in the USA, but I wouldn't care if it were the worst place. Your worst place is still better than 99% of other places around the world.

Jesus, if that's the going rate for headhunters over in Deutschland I think I've identified a possible career move for you. That will be $5.000, please :lol:

HarveyWallbangers
09-19-2008, 01:37 PM
Don't get down..I always say that there is no such thing as "one dream scenario" in life. Opportunities come along all the time and if you are looking for it, you will find it. You're bummed, this one didn't work out. Keep you chin up and be on the lookout for the next one and grab it tight.

Agreed. The lowest points in life often lead to the highest points. Unless you go and off yourself. Just kidding. We love ya, Tarlam. Now's the time to plan a trip to Green Bay for the October 5th weekend.
:D

sheepshead
09-19-2008, 01:38 PM
Yeah, get a damn gig tarlam so I can feel good about slammin' your ass!

GBRulz
09-19-2008, 02:14 PM

Agreed. The lowest points in life often lead to the highest points. Unless you go and off yourself. Just kidding. We love ya, Tarlam. Now's the time to plan a trip to Green Bay for the October 5th weekend.
:D

I agree with both points. And yes, plan your trip here. Who am I supposed to eat lobster with now??

Tyrone Bigguns
09-19-2008, 03:00 PM

Jesus, if that's the going rate for headhunters over in Deutschland I think I've identified a possible career move for you. That will be $5.000, please :lol:

Not to start an argument, but headhunters never charge for their services..not to the employee.

Tar went with a comany like Allen and Associates..that market you as a candidate. Big difference.

hoosier
09-19-2008, 04:06 PM

Not to start an argument, but headhunters never charge for their services..not to the employee.

Tar went with a comany like Allen and Associates..that market you as a candidate. Big difference.

Yeah, I figured that but don't know what, if anything, you call a company like that. If not a headhunter, maybe a cannibal?

Scott Campbell
09-19-2008, 04:18 PM
Yeah, I figured that but don't know what, if anything, you call a company like that. If not a headhunter, maybe a cannibal?

P.I.M.P.S.

Providing Interviews for Megasalary Placement Services

Tyrone Bigguns
09-19-2008, 04:19 PM

Career managent.

http://www.allenandassociates.com/

Harlan Huckleby
09-19-2008, 05:20 PM
get a job, loser

(since we're going to be married, you might has well get used to my gruff nature.)

Scott Campbell
09-19-2008, 05:27 PM
get a job, loser

(since we're going to be married, you might has well get used to my gruff nature.)

Hmmm. I see an air tight pre-nup in Tarlam's future.

MJZiggy
09-19-2008, 05:54 PM
You didn't ruin your life. You think you blew the interview, but you can never understand the other person's perception of the same incident (unless of course he said, "Mr. Tarlam! you've blown this interview and we won't be hiring you."). You don't know until they hire someone.

I remember a company that we researched a couple months ago...

Can't you come to work in the US on a work visa? I think you just need a company to sponsor you, but half of my office (come to think of it, half this city) is non-native so it can't be THAT hard to work here.

One day at a time, my friend. You'll be fine.

retailguy
09-19-2008, 07:30 PM
Tarlam! - The only way out is through.

I agree with Ziggy, to a point. :shock: I did just say that out loud, didn't I? Hell there is hope for everyone then. :oops: :wink:

Nah, really, she makes a good point. You don't know. You probably suspect, but you don't KNOW. Actually, I've always believed that "washing out" during the interview process is a good thing. See, in the long run, it just saves you grief, because if you weren't the right person in the interview, what are the odds you're the right person for the job?

I understand those are just words from the guy who has a job, to the guy who doesn't, but, I've walked through a couple of really tough times in my life, and today, those experiences are the ones that I value most. They define me, most days in a good way.

If I remember correctly, you had seven possibilities, what's the disposition of the other six?

Ty - Plenty of recruiting companies charge the employee, some charge BOTH the employee and the employer. Especially outside the US. In fact, you can visit this site. http://www.theladders.com/ . I went on several interviews that I found here when I moved to the midwest. I happily paid them for the leads. I wound up being placed by Robert Half, which billed my employer for 25% of my first year salary, (and that was after the discount), but that's the way the world works.

One of my counterparts in Great Britian just left her job for a career with a Big 4 CPA firm, AFTER, a 3 month notice period. That, according to her is common in London. I've never worked there, so I take her word for it, but she has no reason to lie to me.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-19-2008, 07:45 PM
Tarlam! - The only way out is through.

I agree with Ziggy, to a point. :shock: I did just say that out loud, didn't I? Hell there is hope for everyone then. :oops: :wink:

Nah, really, she makes a good point. You don't know. You probably suspect, but you don't KNOW. Actually, I've always believed that "washing out" during the interview process is a good thing. See, in the long run, it just saves you grief, because if you weren't the right person in the interview, what are the odds you're the right person for the job?

I understand those are just words from the guy who has a job, to the guy who doesn't, but, I've walked through a couple of really tough times in my life, and today, those experiences are the ones that I value most. They define me, most days in a good way.

If I remember correctly, you had seven possibilities, what's the disposition of the other six?

Ty - Plenty of recruiting companies charge the employee, some charge BOTH the employee and the employer. Especially outside the US. In fact, you can visit this site. http://www.theladders.com/ . I went on several interviews that I found here when I moved to the midwest. I happily paid them for the leads. I wound up being placed by Robert Half, which billed my employer for 25% of my first year salary, (and that was after the discount), but that's the way the world works.

One of my counterparts in Great Britian just left her job for a career with a Big 4 CPA firm, AFTER, a 3 month notice period. That, according to her is common in London. I've never worked there, so I take her word for it, but she has no reason to lie to me.

No, sorry, you are wrong. I worked that industry for years. Headhunters dont' EVER charge the employee. Your MRIs, your Hall Kinion, Spherion, Tecnnisource, Kforce, Robert Half (rhi), etc.

You are talking about career management companies...big difference.

The ladders charges you to quickly view all the postings...basically separating the wheat from the chaff. And to get special content, but you can find their postings without paying (you can find their sales jobs on salestrax.com).Or they give you some inside info like vault.com.

YOu could have easily have found the info yourself..they didn't charge you for the job, they charged you for infomation.

But, neither monster, computerjobs, careerbuilder, dice, etc. charge.

It is like modeling agencies that charge vs. those who don't. Real, top flite agencies don't.

P.S. 25%..is below market rate for direct placement. But, RHI is hardly a player in direct placement..they do much better in temp or temp to perm.

Scott Campbell
09-19-2008, 07:59 PM
You didn't ruin your life. You think you blew the interview, but you can never understand the other person's perception of the same incident (unless of course he said, "Mr. Tarlam! you've blown this interview and we won't be hiring you."). You don't know until they hire someone.

A great example of this is that airplane story from last years Posters' Game. The two of your stories were completely different, with only the description of that girls endowment being relatively consistent.

MJZiggy
09-19-2008, 08:11 PM
I believe we both agreed that he'd had a bit to drink...

retailguy
09-19-2008, 08:20 PM
Ty,

It is exasperating to communicate with you sometimes. In the US, yes, employee fees are rare, but they exist. Nanny's (and as you stated models) are common.

My point was more geared to OUTSIDE the US. Things are different there.

If you back and read his original post, he was paying a company to generate leads, prepare and send his information. Plenty of companies do charge for that stuff.

Having applicants pay fees is becoming more common. The pendulum swings back and forth and we're headed that way again. Bluesteps.com, which if you worked in the field, then you know about it, does charge applicants for membership. There is a mac site, can't find it right now, that charges a nominal fee, so it can be free to employers to search resumes for people with mac experience, etc.

Do search firms in the US charge applicants a percentage fee? No. but that wasn't/isn't what Tarlam! paid for either. You know, if you'd stop arguing and read carefully, you might find that telling people they are "wrong" all the time isn't necessary. Let's help Tarlam!, OK?

Since you're familiar with the field, why don't you steer him towards a German search firm, so he can hit the ground running next week?

the_idle_threat
09-19-2008, 11:50 PM
You remarried, Tar? Ohhh .... you said life.

Partial
09-20-2008, 12:16 AM
Good luck Tar. You could sell a ketchup popsicle to a women in white gloves. I have no doubt you'll land on your feet in a great exec job.

Tarlam!
09-20-2008, 01:06 AM
Thanks for all the encouragement! I blew it, because i really neglected preparation for the marketing aspect of the job. You see, the marketing department currently has a team of 3-4 people, while the sales team has over 100!

I've never had responsibility for a marketing team, although I've always worked very closely with marketing.

Anyways, it was a 2 hour interview and they spent at least 90 minutes drilling me on the marketing side! At one point, my potential boss said "so, Mr Tarlam, we are now going to leave you for 15 minutes. When we come back, we'd like for you to have sketched out on about 3 flipcharts how you approach a product relaunch for say, our iced coffee beverages".

I did my best, but, i wouldn't hire me based on that performance! Their feedback was 1. We think you're a great guy and you'd fit right into our team 2. We think your sales experience is phenomenal and we feel you'd be excellent at running our sales team. 3. You completely failed to provide a compelling argument that you are capable of running a marketing team.

Anyways, I still have 2 companies that have invited me back for a 3rd interview and I will receive word on a job next Tuesday.

Now, my consultants are paid in 2 allotments. 50% from the time they begin on my "case". 50% when I finally sign a new contract. So, they will keep working for me until I get a job. Or, they will forfeit 10K

BTW Notice periods in Germany are usually 6 weeks, but my last job was 3 months from my side and 6 months from the employers side. We can't just get fired or quit jobs like in the USA.

Headhunters charge employers here, not employees. I have a consultant that provides the services I described.

Patler
09-20-2008, 04:33 AM
Their feedback was 1. We think you're a great guy and you'd fit right into our team 2. We think your sales experience is phenomenal and we feel you'd be excellent at running our sales team. 3. You completely failed to provide a compelling argument that you are capable of running a marketing team.

Do you know for sure (did they actually TELL you) that you are no longer under consideration for the position?

I suspect you are being unduly hard on yourself with #3 above. Isn't what they told you actually that they realize you have little experience leading a marketing team, not that you are not capable of doing so?

In the end I suspect they will consider many, many factors such as:
-Do your strengths in #1 and #2 outweigh your lack of experience in marketing?
-Can they really find a person who is at the top of all categories?
-Does their marketing team need leading, or just overseeing? There is a big difference.

Often hires are based on "feel" and "fit" as much as anything else. If you were honest and open with them, you may be seen as less of a risk than a candidate who was overselling herself/himself. I wouldn't give up hope just because you did not feel good about the interview.

Besides, even if they have told you they are no longer considering you, all is not lost until they actually hire someone. They may back away from you looking for a better candidate, only to realize a month or two down the road that they don't like the others that well, and reconsider you again at that time. I have seen that happen many times.

mmmdk
09-20-2008, 05:45 AM
they were looking for a Sales and Marketing VP for their professional( i.e. non retail) business.

Right up my alley.

Back on the horse!

Take a sec though; re-read the above and ask yourself "why"?

mraynrand
09-20-2008, 07:35 AM
When we come back, we'd like for you to have sketched out on about 3 flipcharts how you approach a product relaunch for say, our iced coffee beverages".

I'd fail at that too. I'd be like: "Hey, we've cooled down our coffee and added sugar and lard - now drink up!" or "Have you ever picked up a cup of coffee on Monday morning only to find out it's cold 'Friday' coffee? Well, we add mocha and sugar and bottle it up as 'ice coffee.' Enjoy that bitter, cold coffee taste!"

MJZiggy
09-20-2008, 07:54 AM
Their feedback was 1. We think you're a great guy and you'd fit right into our team 2. We think your sales experience is phenomenal and we feel you'd be excellent at running our sales team. 3. You completely failed to provide a compelling argument that you are capable of running a marketing team.

Do you know for sure (did they actually TELL you) that you are no longer under consideration for the position?

I suspect you are being unduly hard on yourself with #3 above. Isn't what they told you actually that they realize you have little experience leading a marketing team, not that you are not capable of doing so?

In the end I suspect they will consider many, many factors such as:
-Do your strengths in #1 and #2 outweigh your lack of experience in marketing?
-Can they really find a person who is at the top of all categories?
-Does their marketing team need leading, or just overseeing? There is a big difference.

Often hires are based on "feel" and "fit" as much as anything else. If you were honest and open with them, you may be seen as less of a risk than a candidate who was overselling herself/himself. I wouldn't give up hope just because you did not feel good about the interview.

Besides, even if they have told you they are no longer considering you, all is not lost until they actually hire someone. They may back away from you looking for a better candidate, only to realize a month or two down the road that they don't like the others that well, and reconsider you again at that time. I have seen that happen many times.

Wow. He can even Patlerize negativity. Impressive. :P

Patler
09-20-2008, 08:12 AM
Wow. He can even Patlerize negativity. Impressive. :P

Do you think there could be a book somewhere in there?
"Patlerize Your Negativity" by Patler.
$29.99 (+ s & h) on late-night infomercials! :lol:

MJZiggy
09-20-2008, 09:19 AM
Need an editor? 8-)

Scott Campbell
09-20-2008, 09:25 AM
I lost my job in June. It was a mixed blessing. It about killed me to see our start-up fail, but it had been clear for the past year that we were no longer playing to win. So my 12 year run at company X was over. I was pretty exhausted, and planned on taking a year or so off. It's a crappy time to be looking for a job anyway.

Then, one week after I was finished, the phone rang. A company that should have been in the business to begin with had finally decided to jump in. I told them I hadn't really been looking for a job, and didn't have my resume updated. I sent them a 6 year old resume - with no information on my pertinent experience. 2 weeks later they flew me out for a face to face interview, and 3 days later I had an offer - 14% higher than my previous job. This was a pretty stunning turn of events. And to top it off I'm double dipping with my severance package not running out until next April.

I didn't see any of this coming - especially in this economy. Luck can turn on a dime - in either direction. Keep your chin up.

mmmdk
09-20-2008, 09:37 AM
Go to Glyngøre, Tarlam, or even better - PR game next month :P

retailguy
09-20-2008, 10:47 AM
I lost my job in June. It was a mixed blessing. It about killed me to see our start-up fail, but it had been clear for the past year that we were no longer playing to win. So my 12 year run at company X was over. I was pretty exhausted, and planned on taking a year or so off. It's a crappy time to be looking for a job anyway.

Then, one week after I was finished, the phone rang. A company that should have been in the business to begin with had finally decided to jump in. I told them I hadn't really been looking for a job, and didn't have my resume updated. I sent them a 6 year old resume - with no information on my pertinent experience. 2 weeks later they flew me out for a face to face interview, and 3 days later I had an offer - 14% higher than my previous job. This was a pretty stunning turn of events. And to top it off I'm double dipping with my severance package not running out until next April.

I didn't see any of this coming - especially in this economy. Luck can turn on a dime - in either direction. Keep your chin up.

great story! Hope you are piling money into your mutual funds! that's fantastic.

Scott Campbell
09-20-2008, 10:52 AM
Hope you are piling money into your mutual funds!

In? Yeah, but not as fast as it's leaking out.

mraynrand
09-20-2008, 11:36 AM

Scott, sorry to hear about the start up tanking - but isn't it strange how something like that can lead to something good? Pretty cool. But please explain how you lost a start up, but still have a severance package. A golden parachute of sorts???

Scott Campbell
09-20-2008, 11:50 AM
But please explain how you lost a start up, but still have a severance package. A golden parachute of sorts???

It was a start up business within a big ass company. The mothership lost patience when the core business began to falter.

And nothing close to a golden parachute - just my regular salary. Though it was about 5X what I thought I would get.

bobblehead
09-20-2008, 01:03 PM
When we come back, we'd like for you to have sketched out on about 3 flipcharts how you approach a product relaunch for say, our iced coffee beverages".

I'd fail at that too. I'd be like: "Hey, we've cooled down our coffee and added sugar and lard - now drink up!" or "Have you ever picked up a cup of coffee on Monday morning only to find out it's cold 'Friday' coffee? Well, we add mocha and sugar and bottle it up as 'ice coffee.' Enjoy that bitter, cold coffee taste!"

I'm sold...how can an employer not like that sarcasm?

bobblehead
09-20-2008, 01:05 PM

The only way this story could be better is if you fell into a threeway at the airport during your layover.

retailguy
09-20-2008, 02:54 PM

The only way this story could be better is if you fell into a threeway at the airport during your layover.

:P Priceless.

esoxx
09-20-2008, 04:14 PM
But please explain how you lost a start up, but still have a severance package. A golden parachute of sorts???

It was a start up business within a big ass company. The mothership lost patience when the core business began to falter.

And nothing close to a golden parachute - just my regular salary. Though it was about 5X what I thought I would get.

I was downsized 11/06 based on pure numbers after 18 yrs with the same company. I also rec'd a generous severance package.

In 2/07 I turned in the severance to return at the same company with intent to kick some ass. Last week I landed a huge promotion in a management position and jumped three pay grades.

Sometimes you have to turn lemons into lemonade. Life is what you make it.

Bretsky
09-20-2008, 05:02 PM
Need an editor? 8-)

An editor would not change the meaning of a patented word.

MadtownPacker
09-20-2008, 05:27 PM
I think we are all letting Tarlam off too easy here. He fucked up and then he let that fuck up be an excuse to fuck up even more. I think he need to quit being weak and either drink or not drink but dont blame the job search on that. I met him and bullshit he cant get a job. Maybe not the exact one he wants but he can get a good one. That is his problem. He wont accept not having it his way like the world was a big ass Burger King. I wont lie, that is something I noticed and admired as soon as I met him. He is a fly mofo and has major game. He can hustle his way through this. I just think patting him on the head is a bad way to help.

MJZiggy
09-20-2008, 05:28 PM
Who said anything about changing the meaning?

Tyrone Bigguns
09-20-2008, 06:09 PM
Ty,

It is exasperating to communicate with you sometimes. In the US, yes, employee fees are rare, but they exist. Nanny's (and as you stated models) are common.

My point was more geared to OUTSIDE the US. Things are different there.

If you back and read his original post, he was paying a company to generate leads, prepare and send his information. Plenty of companies do charge for that stuff.

Having applicants pay fees is becoming more common. The pendulum swings back and forth and we're headed that way again. Bluesteps.com, which if you worked in the field, then you know about it, does charge applicants for membership. There is a mac site, can't find it right now, that charges a nominal fee, so it can be free to employers to search resumes for people with mac experience, etc.

Do search firms in the US charge applicants a percentage fee? No. but that wasn't/isn't what Tarlam! paid for either. You know, if you'd stop arguing and read carefully, you might find that telling people they are "wrong" all the time isn't necessary. Let's help Tarlam!, OK?

Since you're familiar with the field, why don't you steer him towards a German search firm, so he can hit the ground running next week?

It is exasperating because you can't read and follow simple conversations.

My response was to Headhunters...as posted by (can't recall). Headhunters don't ever charge employees.

Again, Tar didnt' go to a headhunter..he went to a career management team..and they dont' generate leads...they send out resumes and do the leg work.

And, don't you feel like and idiot when tar posts that headhunters don't charge.

It might be nice if you weren't telling someone who knows more about the field than how it works..is there not a field that you dont' know everthing..cpa, the oil business (we can trust you), and no executive search. Not to mention being an expert in headhunting/career services not only in the u.s. but europe as well. :roll:

Tarlam!
09-21-2008, 12:26 AM
I think we are all letting Tarlam off too easy here.

Well, I aint letting myself off too easy, that's for sure. I take full responsibility for being a dick. And, life is a minestrone http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=jKG6CJWISVo , everyone knows that! Thanks for the positive appraisal Mad, but I really do need to find the right job. I need to support an soon-to.be-ex-wife, my 2 kids and my Packer Addiction. I also would like to occasionally take my bride-to-be out (more than once a decade!!)

I still have some opportunities and my CV is pretty impressive (says Ziggy) by a lot of people's standards.

And, as for the drinking, I have vastly vastly vastly improved in that area. My psycho doctor has made it clear that I am an alkie, of that he has no doubt. Interestingly, he feels I am only in danger when I am frustrated.

He says he doesn't perceive that danger when life is on track, I am in the company of friends and there is the odd bottle of wine consumed.

But right now, I'm at my girl's house which has a bar stocked like a small liquor store and I have zero urge to drink anything other than tea and coffee. And, she's made it perfectly clear, she'd toss me out in a millisecond if she ever sees me drunk again. She's beautiful and staunchly independant, so that aint no bluff! I know, Mad, being bossed around by a woman is pretty low in your book, but shit, she only wants the best for me! :D

MadtownPacker
09-21-2008, 11:03 AM
I think we are all letting Tarlam off too easy here.

Well, I aint letting myself off too easy, that's for sure. I take full responsibility for being a dick. And, life is a minestrone http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=jKG6CJWISVo , everyone knows that! Thanks for the positive appraisal Mad, but I really do need to find the right job. I need to support an soon-to.be-ex-wife, my 2 kids and my Packer Addiction. I also would like to occasionally take my bride-to-be out (more than once a decade!!)

I still have some opportunities and my CV is pretty impressive (says Ziggy) by a lot of people's standards.

And, as for the drinking, I have vastly vastly vastly improved in that area. My psycho doctor has made it clear that I am an alkie, of that he has no doubt. Interestingly, he feels I am only in danger when I am frustrated.

He says he doesn't perceive that danger when life is on track, I am in the company of friends and there is the odd bottle of wine consumed.

But right now, I'm at my girl's house which has a bar stocked like a small liquor store and I have zero urge to drink anything other than tea and coffee. And, she's made it perfectly clear, she'd toss me out in a millisecond if she ever sees me drunk again. She's beautiful and staunchly independant, so that aint no bluff! I know, Mad, being bossed around by a woman is pretty low in your book, but shit, she only wants the best for me! :DIf you ain't letting yourself off easy than why dont you get a shitty job that you will hate while you wait until the great one comes along? Have you ever picked, pruned, or tied grapes? How about tomatoes? How about pulling carrot bolts? How about working 18 hour shift during cotton season?

Trust me man I have done some shitty work but I never hang my fucking head down for long. I dont know about the high power business world you live in but you have had time and now a drink to get over it. It is now time for phase 2 until you can rework phase 1.

Pimps keep on pimping, simps keep on simping.

Tarlam!
09-21-2008, 11:44 AM
It's a friggin' full time job finding a job in the executive world. I got no time to be pulling fruit and vegies and besides, this isn't Cali where you harvest 365 days a year. We have our first frost!

HowardRoark
09-21-2008, 11:52 AM
It's a friggin' full time job finding a job in the executive world. I got no time to be pulling fruit and vegies and besides, this isn't Cali where you harvest 365 days a year. We have our first frost!

Too bad you have a few other mouths to feed, or else you could consider walking away from the executive world.

An American businessman was standing at the pier of a small coastal Mexican village when a small boat with just one fisherman docked. Inside the small boat were several large yellowfin tuna. The American complimented the Mexican on the quality of his fish.

“How long it took you to catch them?” The American asked.

“Only a little while.” The Mexican replied.

“Why don’t you stay out longer and catch more fish?” The American then asked.

“I have enough to support my family’s immediate needs.” The Mexican said.

“But,” The American then asked, “What do you do with the rest of your time?”

The Mexican fisherman said, “I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take a siesta with my wife, Maria, stroll into the village each evening where I sip wine and play guitar with my amigos, I have a full and busy life, senor.”

The American scoffed, “I am a Harvard MBA and could help you. You should spend more time fishing and with the proceeds you buy a bigger boat, and with the proceeds from the bigger boat you could buy several boats, eventually you would have a fleet of fishing boats.”

“Instead of selling your catch to a middleman you would sell directly to the consumers, eventually opening your own can factory. You would control the product, processing and distribution. You would need to leave this small coastal fishing village and move to Mexico City, then LA and eventually NYC where you will run your expanding enterprise.”

The Mexican fisherman asked, “But senor, how long will this all take?”

To which the American replied, “15-20 years.”

“But what then, senor?”

The American laughed and said, “That’s the best part. When the time is right you would announce an IPO (Initial Public Offering) and sell your company stock to the public and become very rich, you would make millions.”

“Millions, senor? Then what?”

The American said slowly, “Then you would retire. Move to a small coastal fishing village where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take a siesta with your wife, stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos…”

oregonpackfan
09-21-2008, 12:06 PM
Hope you are piling money into your mutual funds!

In? Yeah, but not as fast as it's leaking out.

Scott,

You probably know better than me that now is the time to really start buying up mutual funds. Buy when the prices are low because eventually the market will improve and the market will rebound.

bobblehead
09-21-2008, 12:13 PM

Too bad you have a few other mouths to feed, or else you could consider walking away from the executive world.

An American businessman was standing at the pier of a small coastal Mexican village when a small boat with just one fisherman docked. Inside the small boat were several large yellowfin tuna. The American complimented the Mexican on the quality of his fish.

“How long it took you to catch them?” The American asked.

“Only a little while.” The Mexican replied.

“Why don’t you stay out longer and catch more fish?” The American then asked.

“I have enough to support my family’s immediate needs.” The Mexican said.

“But,” The American then asked, “What do you do with the rest of your time?”

The Mexican fisherman said, “I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take a siesta with my wife, Maria, stroll into the village each evening where I sip wine and play guitar with my amigos, I have a full and busy life, senor.”

The American scoffed, “I am a Harvard MBA and could help you. You should spend more time fishing and with the proceeds you buy a bigger boat, and with the proceeds from the bigger boat you could buy several boats, eventually you would have a fleet of fishing boats.”

“Instead of selling your catch to a middleman you would sell directly to the consumers, eventually opening your own can factory. You would control the product, processing and distribution. You would need to leave this small coastal fishing village and move to Mexico City, then LA and eventually NYC where you will run your expanding enterprise.”

The Mexican fisherman asked, “But senor, how long will this all take?”

To which the American replied, “15-20 years.”

“But what then, senor?”

The American laughed and said, “That’s the best part. When the time is right you would announce an IPO (Initial Public Offering) and sell your company stock to the public and become very rich, you would make millions.”

“Millions, senor? Then what?”

The American said slowly, “Then you would retire. Move to a small coastal fishing village where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take a siesta with your wife, stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos…”

Hmm...close to the story of my life. I used to work very hard. Now I got a nestegg and I do a very easy and relaxing job while it is growing. I spend a lot of time "off" doing the things I love. I only work hard enough to meet the bills while not touching the nest egg...but if I fall behind I put in a few more hours.

Rand could maybe appreciate my own personal "atlas shrugged" approach to life. No one gets to use my talents to enrich themselves anymore.

Tarlam!
09-25-2008, 12:29 AM
Well, I opened my mail today and Tchibo wrote to me. They told me they were gonna keep searching and wished me luck.

I knew it.

Kiwon
09-25-2008, 01:55 AM
Well, I opened my mail today and Tchibo wrote to me. They told me they were gonna keep searching and wished me luck.

I knew it.

Just a bump in the road, Tarlam! Good things will soon come your way (I'm sounding like a fortune cookie, aren't I?) :)

mmmdk
09-25-2008, 06:26 PM
How 'bout Lions GM; I hear it's up for grabs? :lol:

SkinBasket
09-25-2008, 06:34 PM
Shit, you can start your interview with, "Hey I know at least as much as the last guy. But I'm much better looking."

Tarlam!
10-15-2008, 06:55 AM
OK. This is hilarious!

I got a call today from a headhunter and she tells me about this great position for Sales and marketing.

So, I ask where the real focus is and she says "Sales"

So I say "Oh, you're trying to place the Tschibo job" and she flips out! "How did you know, Mr. Tarlam?" I'm like, well, I had two interviews there and, BTW, they want a marketing person.

So, the HH flips out completely. Anyways, I now have confirmation that I indeed prepared myself according to the brief. But the brief is incorrect.

The HH is going to re-propose me as a candidate and maybe I'll get another shot at it. We shall see.

Deputy Nutz
10-15-2008, 10:38 AM
How is your liver?

Tarlam!
10-15-2008, 06:31 PM
How is your liver?

It's fine. My doc can't believe I'm an alkie. He says he'd never know it from the scans and the blood tests.

He said that before I was dry, BTW.

packinpatland
10-15-2008, 07:11 PM
Just wanted you to know, Tarlam.........we're pulling for you........jobwise and keeping dry........

MateoInMex
10-15-2008, 07:35 PM

You have come to the right message board my friend.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-15-2008, 07:37 PM
OK. This is hilarious!

I got a call today from a headhunter and she tells me about this great position for Sales and marketing.

So, I ask where the real focus is and she says "Sales"

So I say "Oh, you're trying to place the Tschibo job" and she flips out! "How did you know, Mr. Tarlam?" I'm like, well, I had two interviews there and, BTW, they want a marketing person.

So, the HH flips out completely. Anyways, I now have confirmation that I indeed prepared myself according to the brief. But the brief is incorrect.

The HH is going to re-propose me as a candidate and maybe I'll get another shot at it. We shall see.

I wouldn't count on the HH being able to accomplish much. No firm is going to pay him/her for a candidate they have already interviewed.

You, on the otherhand, would have a much better chance of getting yourself back in then he/she will..especially the longer the position remains open.

Tarlam!
10-16-2008, 04:04 AM
Just wanted you to know, Tarlam.........we're pulling for you........jobwise and keeping dry........

Thank you, PiP.

You, on the otherhand, would have a much better chance of getting yourself back in then he/she will..especially the longer the position remains open.

Well, I already wrote them a letter stating I was not playing my A Game that day. They returned the favour by writing me to get lost.

I told the HH the whole story and she believes they made a mistake. We'll see. I'll keep you posted.

Tarlam!
10-16-2008, 04:07 AM
The only issue with me coming to the USA is not having a Green Card.
You have come to the right message board my friend.

So, does that mean you're gonna organize me a Green Card, Mat?

Tarlam!
10-31-2008, 01:51 AM
O.K., I owe you all an update.

I have two fires burning right now.

Chiquita Bananas is eyeing me for a 6 month gig to revamp their sales and marketing organization in Germany. It would pay me well, I'd be off the street for a while and I'd only have an hour commute each way.

The other thing is COO for a German chocolate giant, where I have passed through all stages of the interviewing process and now finally need to meet the Advisary Board coming Tuesday. It's between myself and another candidate, whereby the headhunter says I'm the clear fave. Not sure if I like that, because going into the round of the final 3, I was the clear underdog!

Anyway I have a huge advantage in the management side, but my competitor has an advantage in retailing. I have zero ratail experience (I'm a B2B expert and a B2C novice).

The weekend promisis to be long for me.... :cry:

mraynrand
10-31-2008, 07:06 AM
I've gotta believe you can improve on this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSNx286owkw&feature=related

MadtownPacker
10-31-2008, 09:14 AM
Chiquita Bananas is eyeing me
Told your ass you would be working with fruit.

mraynrand
10-31-2008, 09:55 AM
Is this the man who disabled an unmarked unit...with a banana?

Tarlam!
10-31-2008, 10:32 AM
O.K. The chocolate guy has been calling my references..... Positive signals...

The "banana in the tailpipe" guy is on vacation.

I got another call today from a wildcard that i had written off, but they are still interestested, they say. more on that when I know more myself.

retailguy
10-31-2008, 12:16 PM
O.K. The chocolate guy has been calling my references..... Positive signals...

The "banana in the tailpipe" guy is on vacation.

I got another call today from a wildcard that i had written off, but they are still interestested, they say. more on that when I know more myself.

Good to hear! Thanks for the update. We're still praying for good things over here! I'm sure you'll end up with a good position.

MJZiggy
10-31-2008, 06:26 PM
Chiquita Bananas is eyeing me
Told your ass you would be working with fruit.

:lol: :lol:

HowardRoark
10-31-2008, 11:28 PM
Stay away from the banana guy, you could end up in the pokey.

http://www.accountableamerica.com/people/lindner

Tarlam!
11-07-2008, 03:09 PM
O.K. The Saga continues.... I had my interview on Tuesday with the Conceil (advisary board) of the Chocloate Guys. but I got stuck in a 2 hour traffic jam and the place is 4 hours away as is. So, after 6 hours in the car I get to the interview a whole 3 minutes early!

I was shaking like a leaf. I don't think I've been so nervous in my life!! I had stomach cramps and all.

Anyway, after exactly 34 minutes of interview, the Chairman of the Conceil thanked me for a "pleasant talk". I thought it went well at the time, but have been waiting since then to get any feedback...

I got news today from the head hunter that I am the advisary board's selection and recommendation to the operating board. Since the owner is on both boards, it looks like I might have the appointment. The head hunter said she can't say for sure, but she believes the task will be awarded to me.

I was interviewed by the operating board and they all met me, 2 weeks ago. It seems like a formality, but you never know.

I could do with some good news - it's getting mighty close to Christmas!