PDA

View Full Version : First Dude

packinpatland
09-19-2008, 09:54 AM
The AP: “Todd Palin is refusing to testify in an abuse-of-power investigation into his wife, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin.Palin had been subpoenaed to appear Friday before Alaska lawmakers to testify as to whether Public Safety Commissioner Walt Monegan was fired because he refused to dismiss a state trooper who had gone through a bitter divorce with Sarah Palin’s sister. McCain-Palin spokesman Ed O’Callaghan said Thursday that Todd Palin no longer believes the Legislature’s investigation is legitimate.”

Now, everyone be honest............would this hold water if it were you or I?

mraynrand
09-19-2008, 09:57 AM
The AP: “Todd Palin is refusing to testify in an abuse-of-power investigation into his wife, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin.Palin had been subpoenaed to appear Friday before Alaska lawmakers to testify as to whether Public Safety Commissioner Walt Monegan was fired because he refused to dismiss a state trooper who had gone through a bitter divorce with Sarah Palin’s sister. McCain-Palin spokesman Ed O’Callaghan said Thursday that Todd Palin no longer believes the Legislature’s investigation is legitimate.”

yes, if you were the spouse of a governor. Wasn't Monegan reassigned?

packinpatland
09-19-2008, 10:31 AM
That isn't what I asked...................Mr or Mrs Plain ol' Average Citizen...would they/we be given that out?

Maxie the Taxi
09-19-2008, 10:58 AM
That isn't what I asked...................Mr or Mrs Plain ol' Average Citizen...would they/we be given that out?

No, we wouldn't. The state legislature would probably send a state trooper down to the lower 48 to arrest us and carry us back to Alaska to testify.

Todd simply said, Go ahead. Arrest me.

I'd love to see the Alaskan state legislature send a trooper down to arrest Todd. It'd probably be the same trooper who threatened to kill Palin's dad and her family, tasered a small boy and made a habit of drinking in his squad car. The moron probably couldn't find the lower 48 if he had a talking GPS system.

Something you don't understand...reformers aren't popular with the good ol' boys that are being reformed. If Obama gets elected, he'll find that out and so will you.

The truth is, for all his rhetoric, I don't believe Obama is a reformer. He's in bed with all the Democratic party hacks that served with the Clintons, not to mention Rubin and all the financial geniuses that used to head up Fannie and Freddie and the Wall Street investment houses, the ones who ran them into the ground while they were helping themselves to the till.

The other truth is the McCain is not much of a reformer either. He's in bed up to his eye balls with the Washington establishment. Always has been.

The only way we're ever going to see change in a place like Washington is to elect a REAL outsider, someone who has a life outside of Washington and who is willing to put that on hold for a few years while she kicks butt in the capitol. I'm thinking a guy like Mr. Smith, for instance (you know, "Mr. Smith Goes To Washington?").

But, oh, that's right. He'd never succeed. Mr. Smith, you see, doesn't have any "experience." Plus, he's tangled up in some local state scandal with the old party bosses.

Geez, the nation's financial system is being flooded by billions and billions of printed dollars, the dollar is on the precipice of worthlessness, and we're sitting here worrying about some damn drunken worthless state trooper and his good ol' boy power brokers.

If and when Obama gets elected, find a chair with a sturdy seat belt and strap yourself in. You're going to be in for one hellova ride.

sheepshead
09-19-2008, 11:05 AM

There is really nothing to this case. If his wife wasnt the VP nominee, this would not be an issue.
The Dems love lawyers. Look back to 2000 and that embarrassing display by Al and his ilk.

HowardRoark
09-19-2008, 11:08 AM
The truth is, for all his rhetoric, I don't believe Obama is a reformer. He's in bed with all the Democratic party hacks that served with the Clintons, not to mention Rubin and all the financial geniuses that used to head up Fannie and Freddie and the Wall Street investment houses, the ones who ran them into the ground while they were helping themselves to the till.

The other truth is the McCain is not much of a reformer either. He's in bed up to his eye balls with the Washington establishment. Always has been.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s109-190

I don't have time to flesh this out......but I think McCain was a co-sponser. What was Barack's take on this legislation? What was he doing in 2005?

EDIT: click on "floor speeches"

mraynrand
09-19-2008, 11:12 AM

Under what circumstances do you imagine that you or I would be involved in an 'abuse of power' investigation. IOW, your original query is bullshit, because this is a matter involving Palin and Alaska leaders. She isn't an average citizen. If she were, they wouldn't be trying to attack her and cover her with shit from an ugly 'dismissal.'

"Don't TASE ME BRO - I'm only TEN YEARS OLD!!!"

http://www.inclusive-solutions.com/images/kid.jpg

oregonpackfan
09-19-2008, 11:14 AM
Several things should be noted about this case:

1. This investigation about Palin's alleged abuse of power started before she was chosen as the Vice-Presidential candidate.

2. Initially, Palin agreed to cooperate with this investigation. Now she and witnesses friendly to her cause want the investigation delayed until January which will be after the election.

3. Palin and supporters claim the investigation is politically partisan. The 12 person bipartisan investigation consists of 4 Democrats and 8 Republicans! Despite the 2 to 1 ratio, Palin suggests the investigation is partisan. Baloney!

Maxie the Taxi
09-19-2008, 11:23 AM

1. This investigation about Palin's alleged abuse of power started before she was chosen as the Vice-Presidential candidate.

2. Initially, Palin agreed to cooperate with this investigation. Now she and witnesses friendly to her cause want the investigation delayed until January which will be after the election.

3. Palin and supporters claim the investigation is politically partisan. The 12 person bipartisan investigation consists of 4 Democrats and 8 Republicans! Despite the 2 to 1 ratio, Palin suggests the investigation is partisan. Baloney!

An essential fact: PALIN MADE A NAME FOR HERSELF REFORMING THE REPUBLICAN PARTY GOOD OL' BOY NETWORK!!!!!

Maxie the Taxi
09-19-2008, 11:27 AM

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s109-190

I don't have time to flesh this out......but I think McCain was a co-sponser. What was Barack's take on this legislation? What was he doing in 2005?

EDIT: click on "floor speeches"

Let me revise and extend my remarks. "McCain has some credentials as a reformer and he is probably in bed with the Washington establishment only up to his navel."

I don't know how Obama voted on the bill. He was probably absent (or maybe voted "Present"). He's been campaining for the Presidency for three years.

Maxie the Taxi
09-19-2008, 11:29 AM
Howard,

It looks like the bill never came up for a vote. It died between sessions.

HowardRoark
09-19-2008, 11:35 AM
Howard,

It looks like the bill never came up for a vote. It died between sessions.

That is unfortunate.

Freak Out
09-19-2008, 11:44 AM

There is really nothing to this case. If his wife wasnt the VP nominee, this would not be an issue.
The Dems love lawyers. Look back to 2000 and that embarrassing display by Al and his ilk.

The investigation was started before Palin was nominated and she agreed to cooperate fully with the legislature. She has changed her mind since then.

Harlan Huckleby
09-19-2008, 11:50 AM
The investigation was started before Palin was nominated and she agreed to cooperate fully with the legislature. She has changed her mind since then.

What the hell - do you expect Johnny Jolly to try and get his trial moved-up so it happens in midseason?

Of course Palin seeks to delay the confrontation until after the election. Doesn't mean she is guilty, it is just a political move that anybody would do.

mraynrand
09-19-2008, 11:50 AM

the decision to change the release date of findings to Oct.31st would be partisan, I think. Isn't the chair of the investigating committee a Dem? Palin did call for the investigation - she believes there is nothing to hide. That doesn't mean that something like this can't be spun to make it look bad for her, right Keith?

Freak Out
09-19-2008, 11:55 AM
I thought this was pretty funny....the Matanuska Maid debacle is still being worked out up here. A bunch of the old farmers have banded together and have started selling fresh milk and cheese again which is nice....I hate buying milk that's been flown in even though its cheaper than the local stuff. The Knik Arm crossing (Don Youngs Way) will probably never be built...its just such a huge waste of money...but of course we still have a board that is being paid $100,000 each to "work" the issue. It should be disbanded soon...

http://egan.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/09/17/moo/index.html?ref=opinion

Moo

People should stop picking on vice-presidential nominee Sarah Palin because she hired a high school classmate to oversee the state agriculture division, a woman who said she was qualified for the job because she liked cows when she was a kid. And they should lay off the governor for choosing another childhood friend to oversee a failing state-run dairy, allowing the Soviet-style business to ding taxpayers for $800,000 in additional losses.

What these critics don’t understand is that crony capitalism is how things are done in Alaska. They reward failure in the Last Frontier state. In that sense, it’s not unlike like Wall Street’s treatment of C.E.O.’s who run companies into the ground.

Look at Carly Fiorina, John McCain’s top economic surrogate — if you can find her this week, after the news and her narrative fused in a negative way. Dismissed as head of Hewlett-Packard after the company’s stock plunged and nearly 20,000 workers were let go, she was rewarded with $44 million in compensation. Sweet!

Thank God McCain wants to appoint a commission to study the practice that enriched his chief economic adviser. On the campaign trail this week, McCain and Palin pledged to “stop multimillion dollar payouts to C.E.O.’s” of failed companies. Good. Go talk to Fiorina at your next strategy session.

Palin’s Alaska is a cultural cousin to this kind of capitalism. The state may seem like a rugged arena for risky free-marketers. In truth, it’s a strange mix of socialized projects and who-you-know hiring practices.

Let’s start with those cows. A few years ago, I met Harvey Baskin, one of the last of Alaska’s taxpayer-subsidized dairy farmers, at his farm outside Anchorage. The state had spent more than $120 million to create farms where none existed before. The epic project was a miserable failure.

“You want to know how to lose money in a hurry?” Harvey told me, while kicking rock-hard clumps of frozen manure. “Become a farmer with the state of Alaska as your partner. This is what you call negative farming.”

That lesson was lost on Palin. As the Wall Street Journal reported this week, Governor Palin overturned a decision to shutter a money-losing, state-run creamery — Matanuska Maid — when her friends in Wasilla complained about losing their subsidies. She fired the board that recommended closure, and replaced it with one run by a childhood friend. After six months, and nearly $1 million in fresh losses, the board came to the same conclusion as the earlier one: Matanuska Maid could not operate without being a perpetual burden on the taxpayers.

This is Heckuva-Job-Brownie government, Far North version.

On a larger scale, consider the proposal to build a 1,715-mile natural gas pipeline, which Palin touts as one of her most significant achievements. Private companies complained they couldn’t build it without government help. That’s where Palin came to the rescue, ensuring that the state would back the project to the tune of $500 million.

And let’s not talk about voodoo infrastructure without one more mention of the bridge that Palin has yet to tell the truth about. The plan was to get American taxpayers to pay for a span that would be 80 feet higher than the Brooklyn Bridge, and about 20 feet short of the Golden Gate — all to serve a tiny airport with a half-dozen or so flights a day and a perfectly good five-minute ferry. Until it was laughed out of Congress, Palin backed it — big time, as the current vice president would say.

Why build it? Because it’s Alaska, where people are used to paying no state taxes and getting the rest of us to buck up for things they can’t afford. Alaska, where the first thing a visitor sees upon landing in Anchorage is the sign welcoming you to Ted Stevens International Airport. Stevens, of course, is the 84-year-old Republican senator indicted on multiple felony charges. He may still win re-election thanks to Palin’s popularity at the top of the ballot.

Alaskans will get $231 per person in federal earmarks — 10 times more than people in Barack Obama’s home state. That’s this year, with Palin as governor.

If Palin were a true reformer, she would tell Congress thanks, but no thanks to that other bridge to nowhere.

Yes, there is another one — a proposal to connect Anchorage to an empty peninsula, speeding the commute to Palin’s hometown by a few minutes. It could cost up to $2 billion. The official name is Don Young’s Way, after the congressman who got the federal bridge earmarks. Of late, he’s spent more $1 million in legal fees fending off corruption investigations. Oh, and Young’s son-in-law has a stake in the property at one end of the bridge.

Some of these projects might be fully explained should Palin ever open herself up to questions. This week she sat down for her second interview — with Sean Hannity of Fox, who has shown sufficient “deference” to Palin, as the campaign requested.

One question: When Palin says “government has got to get out of the way” of the private sector, as she proclaimed this week, does that apply to dairy farms, bridges and gas pipelines in her state? I didn’t think so.

mraynrand
09-19-2008, 12:06 PM
Gosh, that Sarah Palin can't do anything right. Hey Freak, are you going to post the negative blogs about Biden from the Times, too? Just asking. Saul Alinsky (Ty) would be proud.

sheepshead
09-19-2008, 12:16 PM
Ahhh PDS is in high gear. The more they ratchet it up, the more backlash they create. I find it enjoyable actually.

HowardRoark
09-19-2008, 12:26 PM
Does anyone know when the Charlie Gibson interview with Joe Biden will be on Television? I want to make sure to watch it.

Freak Out
09-19-2008, 12:28 PM
Gosh, that Sarah Palin can't do anything right. Hey Freak, are you going to post the negative blogs about Biden from the Times, too? Just asking. Saul Alinsky (Ty) would be proud.

I thought that was taken care of already? :lol:

HowardRoark
09-19-2008, 12:29 PM
They should tell the "First Dude" to do nothing but the following between now and Election Night:

Hang out in towns like Eagle River WI, Yougstown OH, etc. and go to the corner bars after work and talk to the guys who are enjoying a tap beer.

Freak Out
09-19-2008, 12:29 PM
Does anyone know when the Charlie Gibson interview with Joe Biden will be on Television? I want to make sure to watch it.

:lol: :lol: Is there one scheduled?

HowardRoark
09-19-2008, 12:32 PM

:lol: :lol: Is there one scheduled?

Not yet....I think Joe is hiding on the train.

http://www.nationalcorridors.org/df/df05162005e.jpg

Freak Out
09-19-2008, 12:33 PM
They should tell the "First Dude" to do nothing but the following between now and Election Night:

Hang out in towns like Eagle River WI, Yougstown OH, etc. and go to the corner bars after work and talk to the guys who are enjoying a tap beer.

That's really not a bad idea. I would go throw back a pint with Macs wife and daughter Meghan if they came to town.

But no Bud please.

MJZiggy
09-19-2008, 08:46 PM
Having read the comments under the article, a lot of them came from Alaska and were rather scathing. Is that representative of the way she's viewed by the natives?

Freak Out
09-19-2008, 10:16 PM
Having read the comments under the article, a lot of them came from Alaska and were rather scathing. Is that representative of the way she's viewed by the natives?

She still is popular...but her star has faded in the past year for a number of reasons. The super high approval ratings after she was first elected have dropped...the Murkowski she replaced was loathed when he lost the primary to her and she beat a two term DEM Governor I would not vote for and it was still closer than I thought it would be. She started off pushing the Legislature to do some things that were long overdue and earned my respect in the process...but she has also made some really bad decisions along the way and hindered at lot of good that should have come from the last session.

texaspackerbacker
09-20-2008, 11:20 AM
The so-called Trooper-Gate investigation is nothing more than a partisan witch hunt orchestrated by the Obama campaign and perpetrated by local Obamaphile surrogates in Alaska.

I wonder what liberal women and decent liberals (I hope that's not an oxymoron) in general would be saying if a liberal Democrat woman governor went to bat for her sister against an abusive husband with a badge.

As for the subject of this thread, the First Dude of Alaska and hopefully, future Second Dude of America, I first heard any significant amount of words from his mouth in the Greta Van Susteren interview. On the negative side, he didn't seem overly bright--or at least, not overly sophisticated. Here again, if he was the husband of a Dem/lib governor, this would be played up, and he'd be pictured by the mainstream media as a rugged minority (half Eskimo) male, subordinating his role for his politically ambitious wife.

I heard that the Dems--or some among them, at least--are claiming that he was a "shadow governor" in Alaska. I ask, would we EVER see that kind of gender bias and disrespect for ANYBODY on the left side of the spectrum? With the limited exposure that both Palins have had to the public, it seems ludicrous to assume that he would outshine her politically or intellectually.

Harlan Huckleby
09-20-2008, 11:33 AM
I think the DEMOCRATS have fallen into a trap by making Palin such a focus. First of all, nobody actually much cares about the VP, you hope they have the temperment to steer the ship for a couple years if the Pres gets whacked. The only people who care about the smears (justified or not) against Palin are diehard Dems.

The more the election seems like Obama vrs Palin, the more likely McCain can sneak-up and upset the Messiah. People are reminded that Obama and Palin are of similar status in terms of experience.

packinpatland
09-20-2008, 11:36 AM
......."it seems ludicrous to assume that he would outshine her politically or intellectually."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's a no brainer.................................. :lol:

MJZiggy
09-20-2008, 11:37 AM
How could it be a witch hunt if it was started by republicans before she was selected for VP?

If she abused her power, they'd be calling her an idiot. If the first dude were a dem, they'd be playing up your impression that he isn't too bright more than anything. And you thing Greta's gonna be asking real questions?

And yes, we heard for years that Bill was the one running NY. She just managed to overcome it.

mraynrand
09-20-2008, 11:49 AM
How could it be a witch hunt if it was started by republicans before she was selected for VP?

If she abused her power, they'd be calling her an idiot. If the first dude were a dem, they'd be playing up your impression that he isn't too bright more than anything. And you thing Greta's gonna be asking real questions?

And yes, we heard for years that Bill was the one running NY. She just managed to overcome it.

I think the main problem is with the timing of the release of the investigation findings. Other than that, it's a non-story, like most of the stuff thrown at Palin. There's just not all that much to criticise, other than her ideology and politics (and her lack of experience and seasoning - both a problem and an advatage at the same time). The Dems keep trying to find the pubic hair on the Coke can, but there isn't one.

texaspackerbacker
09-20-2008, 11:59 AM
I think the republicans have fallen into a trap by making Palin such a focus. First of all, nobody actually much cares about the VP, you hope they have the temperment to steer the ship for a couple years if the Pres gets whacked. The only people who care about the smears (justified or not) against Palin are diehard Dems.

The more the election seems like Obama vrs Palin, the more likely McCain can sneak-up and upset the Messiah. People are reminded that Obama and Palin are of similar status in terms of experience.

Harlan, correct me if I'm misunderstanding, but isn't your second paragraph directly contradictory to the first?

mraynrand
09-20-2008, 12:01 PM
I think the republicans have fallen into a trap by making Palin such a focus. First of all, nobody actually much cares about the VP, you hope they have the temperment to steer the ship for a couple years if the Pres gets whacked. The only people who care about the smears (justified or not) against Palin are diehard Dems.

Harlan, correct me if I'm misunderstanding, but isn't your second paragraph directly contradictory to the first?

I assumed he meant to write 'democrats' where he wrote 'republicans' inthe first sentence.

texaspackerbacker
09-20-2008, 12:07 PM

Glad you asked that, Ziggy. I figured somebody would.

Originally, this was an innocent bi-partisan or non-partisan inquiry, which both Palins were cooperating fully with. Then, it got hijacked by Obama's army of troublemakers, desperately trying to smear her--and him--somehow. Did you hear the interview with the Democrat Chairman of the legislative committee conducting the whole mess?

I don't know enough of your personal life to understand your motivations--and I really don't want to. However, I would think in a purely unbiased objective sense, women would be able to empathize and sympathize with the sister(s)--one divorcing an abuser with a badge, and the other in a position to help the first. Are you capable of that unbiased objectivity? Or are you a shill for the left and an unabashed Obamaphile who throws out decency and normalcy to support the candidate who wants to CHANGE everything that is good and decent in this country?

Harlan Huckleby
09-20-2008, 12:14 PM

I assumed he meant to write 'democrats' where he wrote 'republicans' inthe first sentence.

ya, I screwed up. I'll do 20 pushups. tomorrow.

MJZiggy
09-20-2008, 12:44 PM

Originally, this was an innocent bi-partisan or non-partisan inquiry, which both Palins were cooperating fully with. Then, it got hijacked by Obama's army of troublemakers, desperately trying to smear her--and him--somehow. Did you hear the interview with the Democrat Chairman of the legislative committee conducting the whole mess?

I don't know enough of your personal life to understand your motivations--and I really don't want to. However, I would think in a purely unbiased objective sense, women would be able to empathize and sympathize with the sister(s)--one divorcing an abuser with a badge, and the other in a position to help the first. Are you capable of that unbiased objectivity? Or are you a shill for the left and an unabashed Obamaphile who throws out decency and normalcy to support the candidate who wants to CHANGE everything that is good and decent in this country?

That's the thing, though. The other was in a position to help to a degree. Sure, she could and should have requested an investigation and gotten protection for her sister. Once she ordered the investigation, she stepped across the line when fired the investigator because she didn't like the result if that's what really happened.

And do you think that if this happened to a democratic governor who is up for the VP the GOP wouldn't be like a rabid bulldog about it? You'd be calling that person every slur in the book and wishing you could finish them off like they truly deserved. (that's the part where you come off as a little extreme...everyone who does not agree with you, does not hate America--they simply have a different idea of what's best for the country).

cpk1994
09-20-2008, 03:43 PM

3. Palin and supporters claim the investigation is politically partisan. The 12 person bipartisan investigation consists of 4 Democrats and 8 Republicans! Despite the 2 to 1 ratio, Palin suggests the investigation is partisan. Baloney!You do realize she made a lot of enemies in the REPUBLICAN party don't you? ITs partisan allright. Partisan politics from people in her own party up there that want to take her down.

texaspackerbacker
09-20-2008, 03:58 PM

That's the thing, though. The other was in a position to help to a degree. Sure, she could and should have requested an investigation and gotten protection for her sister. Once she ordered the investigation, she stepped across the line when fired the investigator because she didn't like the result if that's what really happened.

And do you think that if this happened to a democratic governor who is up for the VP the GOP wouldn't be like a rabid bulldog about it? You'd be calling that person every slur in the book and wishing you could finish them off like they truly deserved. (that's the part where you come off as a little extreme...everyone who does not agree with you, does not hate America--they simply have a different idea of what's best for the country).

To be precise, she found another valid reason/excuse to fire the guy. Do you have a problem with that--in an objective sense?

As for the "if it was a Democrat female governor", yes, probably the opposing party would try to make a big deal about it. The difference is that they would be SHOUTED DOWN and VILLIFIED by the mainstream media instead of the damn leftist shills of the media taking it and running with it in total unabashed OBAMAPHILIA/PALIN-HATE. And you KNOW that's true.

retailguy
09-20-2008, 04:00 PM

3. Palin and supporters claim the investigation is politically partisan. The 12 person bipartisan investigation consists of 4 Democrats and 8 Republicans! Despite the 2 to 1 ratio, Palin suggests the investigation is partisan. Baloney!You do realize she made a lot of enemies in the REPUBLICAN party don't you? ITs partisan allright. Partisan politics from people in her own party up there that want to take her down.

I think, if you believe she did "shake things up" as she claims that BOTH parties want to take her down.

Reality is that people don't like change. They work their whole life to "get their share" and then someone screws it up.... Yep, I'd get even too. Of course, I don't "want" to get it that way, but.... if you think about it this stuff really isn't too damn hard to figure out.

I understand why Obama hasn't "reformed" Chicago politics. Quite simply, he like the opportunity for a "career" more than he likes to be "completely honest" in his politics. For all you liberals, this IS NOT a criticism, merely an observation. 98% of people would do the same thing in his position.

MJZiggy
09-20-2008, 06:00 PM
I don't know, Retail. Much as you may hate her, a bit of hometown pride takes over and you might not want HER, but she's your opportunity for a VP from Alaska. It's not like Stevens is gonna get elected anytime soon...I gotta think that trumps being pissed.

oregonpackfan
09-20-2008, 10:54 PM
Alaska town opens 'road to nowhere'
2 hours ago
Loading... Must Read?Thank YouYes 179

JUNEAU, Alaska — Alaska now has a Road to Nowhere going to what would have been the Bridge to Nowhere.

Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin's transportation department has completed a $25 million gravel road leading to the site of a bridge that Palin, as John McCain's vice presidential candidate, now boasts that she stopped, so as to save taxpayers money. The road was built with federal tax dollars.

Ketchikan Mayor Bob Weinstein said the 3.2-mile road will be useful for road races, hunters and possibly future development. But with no bridge to serve it, that's probably about it.

"I think it will be good for recreational things like a 5K and a 10K," Weinstein said. "And instead of people walking through brush, it may be used for hunting in the area."

Palin repeatedly tells campaign crowds she said "thanks but no thanks" to Washington when it came up with $400 million for a bridge linking Ketchikan to an island with 50 residents and an airport. In fact, she turned against the bridge only after it became a national symbol of wasteful spending and Washington had backed off financing the project.

Roger Wetherell, speaking for the state Transportation Department, said the road opened several days ago might someday get people to and from Gravina Island after all, if cheaper designs for a bridge become a reality. Meantime, it opens access to land development, he said.

McCain opposes the pet projects that lawmakers in Washington wring out of the federal budget for their constituents in the form of special spending, or earmarks. He's railed for years against the bridge, doing more than anyone to make the nickname Bridge to Nowhere stick. And as his running mate, Palin talks about how she killed the bridge project and "championed reform to end the abuses of earmark spending by Congress."

She supported the bridge during her campaign for governor in 2006, then pulled back state money for it a year later, after Washington had pulled the plug.

Alaska received about half the bridge money anyway, on condition it be used for other things. Palin's predecessor and the Legislature redirected all but $60 million in 2006 to other projects, and Palin has left the remainder untouched, to be used eventually to improve access to the island, her spokeswoman has said.

The airport is separated from its users by a quarter-mile-wide channel of water, forcing travelers to catch either a ferry or a water taxi for a 15-minute ride. Ketchikan, seven blocks wide and eight miles long, is Alaska's entry port for northbound cruise ships that bring more than 1 million visitors yearly.

packinpatland
09-21-2008, 02:17 PM
"Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin's transportation department has completed a $25 million gravel road leading to the site of a bridge that Palin, as John McCain's vice presidential candidate, now boasts that she stopped, so as to save taxpayers money. The road was built with federal tax dollars.

Ketchikan Mayor Bob Weinstein said the 3.2-mile road will be useful for road races, hunters and possibly future development. But with no bridge to serve it, that's probably about it. "

So happy my tax dollars were put to good use :roll:

MJZiggy
09-21-2008, 02:20 PM
So...it cost $25 MILLION to build 3.5 miles of GRAVEL road?????

The cheapskate in me is doing back flips over this.