PDA

View Full Version : Joey Harrington signs with the Saints

Badgerinmaine
09-19-2008, 09:01 PM
There was some discussion here earlier this week about Joey Harrington looking for an NFL job. He has now signed as the third string QB with the New Orleans Saints:
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10985720

It 's really the first time he's been with a decent team, and possibly the first time he's had any other experienced quarterbacks to learn from (he will be behind Drew Brees and Mark Brunell).

cpk1994
09-19-2008, 09:03 PM
So, can we assume that Tank will now be on a Saints board touting the greatness that is Harrington and how he will lead the Saints to the promised land? :lol:

Badgerinmaine
09-19-2008, 09:11 PM
So, can we assume that Tank will now be on a Saints board touting the greatness that is Harrington and how he will lead the Saints to the promised land? :lol:
Yes, but it will be with one of his 101 aliases. :)

HarveyWallbangers
09-19-2008, 10:18 PM
Speaking of tank, when will he make his reappearance as a new poster?

Scott Campbell
09-19-2008, 10:37 PM

Sounds like somebody is hankering for the next installment of Ted is Trapped in the Closet.

I didn't realize Brunnel was still in the league.

Harlan Huckleby
09-19-2008, 10:38 PM
Harrington is better than Flynn right now. I wish the pack had him in case Rodgers goes down for a spell.

Scott Campbell
09-19-2008, 10:40 PM
Harrington is better than Flynn right now. I wish the pack had him in case Rodgers goes down for a spell.

Everybody knows those 2 guys aren't on the roster for how they play right now. It's purely about upside.

Harlan Huckleby
09-19-2008, 10:43 PM
right, but the packers have an outside shot at the Super Bowl this year.

Which is why they never should have let Favre go. No, no, I'm not sure where that came from. I meant to say, which is why it is worth a roster spot to have a capable QB backup.

The dummies who say "All is lost anyway" if Rodgers gets hurt are forgetting that most injuries are not season ending.

Scott Campbell
09-19-2008, 10:47 PM
If Rodgers goes down, I imagine they'll go out a and get a guy.

Cheesehead Craig
09-19-2008, 11:35 PM

I thought you were tank.

cpk1994
09-20-2008, 06:20 AM
Harrington is better than Flynn right now. I wish the pack had him in case Rodgers goes down for a spell.Good God, Tank has hacked into Harlan's account. Or is Harlan really Tank? :lol:

Harlan Huckleby
09-20-2008, 11:19 AM
If Rodgers goes down, I imagine they'll go out a and get a guy.

I don't think this strategy works. First of all, the talent pool for available QBs gets shallower every week into the season. We're at the Joey Harrington level - up to TT's waist. In another month it will be a kiddie pool, knee deep, lots of pee, and even the occassional turd floating by.

The other problem is that you can't really bring in a new QB who doesn't know the Packer players or plays and expect him to be effective in 5 days.

I guess TT simply intends to throw Matt Flynn out there if they have to, and hope for the best. I'd rather have a Joey Harrington type player on the roster, but maybe Flynn can be OK in an emergency.

Scott Campbell
09-20-2008, 12:08 PM
First of all, the talent pool for available QBs gets shallower every week into the season.

I'm ok with it, because I don't think there is a huge drop-off from a Joey Harrington to a Chris Sims or Duante Culpepper.

Scott Campbell
09-20-2008, 12:17 PM
The other problem is that you can't really bring in a new QB who doesn't know the Packer players or plays and expect him to be effective in 5 days.

I agree with this. I'm assuming they think they get more value out of having Flynn and Brohm developing on the roster than they would with a Harrington like insurance policy just in case.

boiga
09-20-2008, 12:37 PM
I agree with this. I'm assuming they think they get more value out of having Flynn and Brohm developing on the roster than they would with a Harrington like insurance policy just in case.

That's my thinking as well. And considering McCarthy's burgeoning reputation training up young QB's, we might be able to make a profit off of these guys eventually even if Rodgers does stay healthy.

Harlan Huckleby
09-20-2008, 03:15 PM
we might be able to make a profit off of these guys eventually even if Rodgers does stay healthy.

I think the chances of earning draft picks are insignificant. I guess Wolf was able to turn a small "profit" on Brunnell, cost a 5th, returned a 3rd, or something like that. But I think the drafting is done to have a backup, and other options if Rodgers tanks.

KYPack
09-20-2008, 03:52 PM
I don't think this strategy works. First of all, the talent pool for available QBs gets shallower every week into the season. We're at the Joey Harrington level - up to TT's waist. In another month it will be a kiddie pool, knee deep, lots of pee, and even the occassional turd floating by.

Yoinks, easy on the imagery, Harlan!

I agree with Huck on this. So I must be wrong. TT keeping both Kiddie QB's smacks of the "dueling punters" scenario of years gone by. You have a grizzled back-up (Strock, Deberg, Pederson etc) and a kid who is the QB of the future. There were some guys floating around out there I could of seen us having. Joey woulld have been scary because Tank could come back and crow (although he'd still be wrong Harrington wouldn't start here).

I wanted us to land Simms or Griese. I know they are not first rate, but they are back-ups. I really don't know who is left, but I guess we are committed to the Kids. Next season I won't feel so scared. That last pre-season game, they both had the deer in the headlights thing going on.

Badgerinmaine
09-20-2008, 06:27 PM
First of all, the talent pool for available QBs gets shallower every week into the season. We're at the Joey Harrington level - up to TT's waist. In another month it will be a kiddie pool, knee deep, lots of pee, and even the occassional turd floating by.

I really shouldn't read Harlan's posts right after dinner like that. :)

oregonpackfan
09-20-2008, 11:01 PM
Harrington might find a second career on Bourbon St. in New Orleans.

Believe it or not, the guy is an accomplished, jazz pianist. :shock:

SnakeLH2006
09-21-2008, 02:15 AM
How does Joey get his own thread?

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t41/cromwellcolinj/fattyFail.jpg