PDA

View Full Version : Hawk/Hodge

VegasPackFan
09-20-2008, 03:06 AM
I think I recall at least a few people on this forum stating that Hodge was a better LB and even athlete vs Hawk prior to the draft and even after during training camp.

So in the effort to stir up some non-Favre related SH^t, is anyone out there willing to admit?

Tarlam!
09-20-2008, 03:27 AM
IIRC, there were comparisons between Barnett and Hodge. I was always on Hodge's bandwagon and I know I suggested moving Barnett to Sam and allowing Hodge to play Mike. Poppy would play from the bench in that scheme.

After Hodge's performances in this year's pre-season, I wish we'd have tried it. I liked him as a thumper in the middle, although Barnett is playing much faster these days.

I never claimed he was better than Hawk, though.

KYPack
09-20-2008, 08:34 AM
Hodge can fill with the best of 'em. Can't cover, though, boys.

He's a good guy to have on a team, but he's about where he is supposed to be. A PS guy trying to make a roster.

texaspackerbacker
09-20-2008, 10:09 AM
I was NOT a Hodge-backer. In fact, I just started liking his game this preseason, shortly before they cut him.

To me, he was a golden example of a "finished product" coming out of college--a polished player with practically no upside potential.

I was a little bit afraid Hawk would turn out to be that too, and last season did little to change that notion. This season, however, he seems to be getting his game together and starting out on a breakout season. Hopefully it will continue.

As I said in another thread, I wouldn't be surprised if Hodge does all right too in Cincy or some other setting where expectations aren't so high--like Paris Lenon or Hunter Hillenmeyer.

mraynrand
09-20-2008, 11:43 AM
Wasn't it Gureski who was pretty down on Barnett, going back years. IIRC, he wrote volumes on the mistakes Barnett made. But I don't think even he would have wanted Hodge on the field on certain downs. Guy was no where near as fast as Barnett, was a liability in coverage - BUT, he had really good recognition, few false steps, and really coudl move through traffic to make a tackle. He also tackled well - a good hard hitter. But don't despair, the Packrs still have Lasagna on the practice squad - he's a lot like Hodge, and a bit faster.

bobblehead
09-20-2008, 12:43 PM
I never got that silly about hodge, but he is what I like...a football player not an athlete. He makes sure tackles, takes great angles and seems to "feel" where a play is going. His biggest problem is that he is on the packers and we got better. I still think he might/could start in this league, but he willl never reach barnett/hawk status.

Harlan Huckleby
09-20-2008, 03:16 PM
Hodge should have stuck with college ball, that's where he really excels.

Tarlam!
09-20-2008, 03:20 PM
Wasn't it Gureski who was pretty down on Barnett, going back years. IIRC, he wrote volumes on the mistakes Barnett made.

That sounds like Wist and i think he was a big Hodge fan.

Oscar
09-20-2008, 03:23 PM
Just don't mention a certain Qb named Nall to Gureski :P :P

cpk1994
09-20-2008, 03:36 PM
Just don't mention a certain Qb named Nall to Gureski :P :Por Merlin :P

Cheesehead Craig
09-20-2008, 04:08 PM
I thought we got a great pick with Hodge in the 3rd, but his injuries and knees just kept getting worse. Just a shame.

Tarlam!
09-21-2008, 12:38 AM
Hodge can fill with the best of 'em. Can't cover, though, boys.

Oh I don't disagree, but I made my statement when Poppy was competing for the starters job and couldn't cover either!

SnakeLH2006
09-21-2008, 02:08 AM
Personally, I really liked the Hawk pick and remember some poster who hasn't been on in here in a year ND-something praising him over and over. I liked both coming out of college, but Hawk had major upside.

Hawk has been steady, a good player, but has really risen to become a much better player, even with injuries, in our first 2 games this year.

Hawk will NEVER live up to his hype which was nuts, but will make a coupla Pro Bowls if he gets some sacks (that's how it goes with LB's) but Hodge's gimpy knees will be the downfall for him, as he looked pretty good in preseason and WILL be a good starter making lots of tackles for SOMEONE for a few years.

Both good players, but I feel bad for the Hit-man as he coulda been special too.

rbaloha1
09-21-2008, 06:03 PM
Wish Hodge was kept.

Hodge starts just like Hillenmeyer.

Always felt Hawk was slightly overrated. Solid all around assignment sure player.

IMO will not get to the Urlacher level.

Pacopete4
09-21-2008, 06:05 PM
I dont think he'll ever get to a premier LB either.. but I think he can be a damn good one.. as long as the D surround him with talent, he will be good.. put him on a team that has a bad Dline and he'd struggle

mission
09-21-2008, 06:06 PM
I dont think he'll ever get to a premier LB either.. but I think he can be a damn good one.. as long as the D surround him with talent, he will be good.. put him on a team that has a bad Dline and he'd struggle

Could be right but this is his breakout year opportunity and if he keeps puttin up numbers and gets a few picks/makes some more plays.. wooo