PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Countdown (ESPN) picks........

VegasPackFan
09-20-2008, 03:15 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/notebook?page=sundaycountdown08&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab2pos1

ON ESPN Sunday Countdown Online, all the pundits pick Green Bay Packers as the winner on the game Sunday night. Unanimous decision. I find this odd. NOt that I dont think they can win , but just that it is a unanimous choice.

LL2
09-20-2008, 07:47 AM
That is odd. I would've expected at least Johnson and Mortensen to pick Dallas.

Scott Campbell
09-20-2008, 08:47 AM
I can understand. The game is in Lambeau. It doesn't mean much though.

KYPack
09-20-2008, 09:02 AM
The radio talk show pickers are doing the same thing.

Does that mean we are doomed?

Fred's Slacks
09-20-2008, 10:42 AM
Even Nelly picked us on NFL total access celebrity picks.

texaspackerbacker
09-20-2008, 12:41 PM
I think a lot of people in here are so worried about being thought of as homers that that are in denial about how good the home team is.

Myself, I'm conflicted between TWO "home teams"--my favorite against my second favorite. I see Dallas as super strong, too, and this as a battle of probably the two best teams--with possibly, home field advantage the only clear reason to choose one over the other.

bobblehead
09-20-2008, 12:44 PM
I think a lot of people in here are so worried about being thought of as homers that that are in denial about how good the home team is.

Myself, I'm conflicted between TWO "home teams"--my favorite against my second favorite. I see Dallas as super strong, too, and this as a battle of probably the two best teams--with possibly, home field advantage the only clear reason to choose one over the other.

I tend to agree with this, but dallas is the "sexy" pick...which is why you would expect all the pundits to go with them.

Fred's Slacks
09-20-2008, 01:29 PM
I have alot of confidence in this team. I am just surprised that so many other (non packer fans) think we'll win. I love this team and think they are as deep and play as well together as any team. But Dallas is the team of superstars. it doesn't mean they're better, just sexier as bobblehead put it. I actually think this game will come down to who makes the least mistakes and special teams play. If it does, we have a good shot.

boiga
09-20-2008, 01:55 PM
I tend to agree with this, but dallas is the "sexy" pick...which is why you would expect all the pundits to go with them.

Naah, most of the talking heads give too high a priority to "intangibles," and for this game all the intangibles go in Green Bay's favor. Dallas is coming off of a short week after a hard fought emotional game. They they only had time for three days worth of practice before traveling up to Labeau Field, which has one of the biggest home field advantage in the league.

A lot of them are saying that Green Bay will win because of these circumstances, but Dallas is the better team.

Pugger
09-20-2008, 02:02 PM
But if you go to this page: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/features/talent

not all of those guys are picking the Pack to win Sunday night. :?

esoxx
09-20-2008, 04:06 PM
The Cowboys have NEVER won at Lambeau Field. Why start now?

For all the talk about the Packers struggles at Texas Stadium, and they have, at least they've won there before.

Of course, due to past scheduling quirks Green Bay played a lot more games there than at home in Lambeau against them.

Still, 0 for forever in Lambeau is something that should stick in the 'boys craw.

Need to keep it that way.

oregonpackfan
09-20-2008, 04:12 PM
I think the Packers are certainly capable of beating the Cowboys. I just feel the Cowboys will win this Sunday because:

1. they have an incredible offensive line skilled at pass blocking. When Romo has time to sit back and/or roll out he can pick apart most teams.

2. Right now, the Cowboys have a better running game than the Packers. With Grant still not 100%, Jackson and Lumpkin are not ready to shoulder the entire running game.

3. The Packers are the youngest team in the NFL. Young players are prone to more more mistakes, especially in prime time games.

cpk1994
09-20-2008, 05:15 PM

I tend to agree with this, but dallas is the "sexy" pick...which is why you would expect all the pundits to go with them.But that is countered by the fact that GB is the home team and Dallas has never won there. When two teams are as close as GB and Dallas are, pundits go with the home team.

MadtownPacker
09-20-2008, 05:35 PM
I dont see how you can pick the cowboys. The are traveling after a tough MNF game. The Packers had the perfect warm up against detroit. Homefield WILL be the deciding factor in this game.

gbgary
09-20-2008, 05:38 PM

I tend to agree with this, but dallas is the "sexy" pick...which is why you would expect all the pundits to go with them.But that is countered by the fact that GB is the home team and Dallas has never won there. When two teams are as close as GB and Dallas are, pundits go with the home team.

i don't think they're that close. they have us at every offensive position and we have them on defense. our only hope is if we can keep their offense off the field as much as possible. we need to get first-down after first-down, eat up the clock, and get points every possession. if it's a three-out-fest our defense will get tired and then toasted. MM can't have another brain-lock in the play calling department.

Pacopete4
09-20-2008, 05:39 PM
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nflnation?tag=audibles%20nfc%203

Audibles: NFC East Week 3 preview

September 19, 2008 4:20 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Matt Mosley

Dallas Cowboys (2-0) at Green Bay Packers (2-0), 8:15 p.m. ET

Make no mistake. The Cowboys are going to come after Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers early and often. For the past two games, defensive end Greg Ellis has been asked to drop back in coverage a lot more than usual. That's not going to happen against Rogers. It also helps the Cowboys that Terence Newman appears to be close to full strength. The Packers' receivers are the best in the league at running after the catch.

The Cowboys will try to put pressure on the Packers' secondary from the opening snap. This might sound like NFC East bias, but I smell a blowout. On paper, this is an unbelievable matchup.

But there's no way the Packers can hang with the Cowboys in a shootout, and that's what's going to happen. The Cowboys have some tape on Rodgers now. They played against him last season, and Rodgers played well in relief of an injured Brett Favre. Cowboys roll in this one.

that alone should piss Arod off enough to win this game :lol:

mission
09-20-2008, 05:42 PM

i don't think they're that close. they have us at every position except defense. our only hope is if we can keep their offense off the field as much as possible. we need to get first-down after first-down, eat up the clock, and get points every possession. if it's a three-out-fest our defense will get tired and then toasted. MM can't have another brain-lock in the play calling department.

Oh, just defense? LOL!!!

So which is it? Do they have us or not?

If the offense is CLOSE (which it is! period!) and our defense is better and ST lets just say negligible then um... yeah... nvm.

gbgary
09-20-2008, 05:56 PM
i edited my post before your response posted. reread. they have us on offense, by a good margin, and i think we have a slightly better defense but it won't hold up if the offense is hindered by MM's conservative (at times) play calling. as i posted in another thread i think dallas will win 28-20. i'd love to be wrong.

mission
09-20-2008, 06:25 PM
i edited my post before your response posted. reread. they have us on offense, by a good margin, and i think we have a slightly better defense but it won't hold up if the offense is hindered by MM's conservative (at times) play calling. as i posted in another thread i think dallas will win 28-20. i'd love to be wrong.

well then i guess i just disagree with your assessment about their offense versus ours in general... after TO, im not worried about anyone at WR and I can count on Romo to turn it over ...

and if our defense is better... man, i dunno...

MM is never conservative in a close game, only when we have the lead and he's tryin to run down the clock. because we CANT run out the clock. we arent that type of team.

gbgary
09-20-2008, 06:46 PM

well then i guess i just disagree with your assessment about their offense versus ours in general... after TO, im not worried about anyone at WR and I can count on Romo to turn it over ...

and if our defense is better... man, i dunno...

MM is never conservative in a close game, only when we have the lead and he's tryin to run down the clock. because we CANT run out the clock. we arent that type of team.

they have a better pass rush but i think we're better at linebacker and especially in the secondary. as for not being able to run out the clock you're right but that's because we're running all the time. it's all about piling up first downs. short passes get first downs too. MM just has to call them...and not just on third down. mix in a pass on first down for crying out loud. i bet it would catch the defense totally by surprise. :D

SnakeLH2006
09-21-2008, 02:18 AM
I can understand. The game is in Lambeau. It doesn't mean much though.

...It really doesn'...I mean we can't win in Dallas...oh wait... till you factor in the Dallas has NEVER beaten Green Bay at Lambeau Field. :shock: