PDA

View Full Version : Antivirus XP 2008 crap

Cheesehead Craig
09-20-2008, 04:11 PM
Got it last night on my computer and had my good buddy come over and spend 3 hours getting the damn thing off. Not even sure how the hell I got it as I wasn't downloading anything. It's a nasty little bastard.

MadtownPacker
09-20-2008, 05:16 PM
If I was you I would save what I want to another disk or media and wipe the whole thing.

Partial
09-20-2008, 06:51 PM
With Mac OS you don't have to deal with software magically showing up.

BallHawk
09-20-2008, 09:58 PM
With Mac OS you don't have to deal with software magically showing up.

Because it's not worth the time to write a virus for such a little market share. :roll:

GBRulz
09-21-2008, 10:15 AM
Because it's not worth the time to write a virus for such a little market share. :roll:

I laughed at your reply, but times are a changin'....

My sister and her husband (IBM Executive) came to visit me last month and he had a Macbook, I couldn't believe it because he was always so anti Mac!! I said "WTF, Mr. IBM using a Mac?" He said that they are evaluating switching their Thinkpads to MacBook Pro's. IBM could be the biggest push that Apple has ever seen. My bro in law also stated that Vista could very well be the death of Windows.

The company that I work for is 100% Mac.

Anyhow, BH...I'm just saying that Mac's are gaining more and more market share...thanks to the problem child Vista...that's all.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-21-2008, 12:37 PM

My sister and her husband (IBM Executive) came to visit me last month and he had a Macbook, I couldn't believe it because he was always so anti Mac!! I said "WTF, Mr. IBM using a Mac?" He said that they are evaluating switching their Thinkpads to MacBook Pro's. IBM could be the biggest push that Apple has ever seen. My bro in law also stated that Vista could very well be the death of Windows.

Anyhow, BH...I'm just saying that Mac's are gaining more and more market share...thanks to the problem child Vista...that's all.

Get back to us when they break 15% of the U.S. market share.

The fastest growing OS is Linux.

Partial
09-21-2008, 01:15 PM

Source? I don't believe this for a second.

I believe that is complete and utter bullshit, especially considering linux isn't an os but a kernel. huge difference. You could add up all the distros and I doubt they come anywhere near OS X.

update: I just googled linux adoption rate and have found that many sources believe linux adoption is stagnant right now. Of course its growing in the headless server farm area, but it is not where it needs to be yet for high adoption in the PC world.

more googling: Microsoft has 90.8% market share as of August 2008. OS X has 7.94. The left over is 1.26%. Get back to me when they break 5. OS X was 1% several years ago. They're rapidly growing, as are Apple stock holders portfolio's over the past 10 years.

GBRulz
09-21-2008, 01:22 PM

I could care less what % of market share they have.

Partial
09-22-2008, 08:59 AM
Ty... we're waiting.

Zool
09-22-2008, 09:03 AM
We are?

SkinBasket
09-22-2008, 11:55 AM
Yeah. The macdorks are waiting with the fashionable white pitchforks and eco-friendly torches.

Zool
09-22-2008, 12:00 PM
Can I get my pitchfork in some sort of neon see-through color?

retailguy
09-22-2008, 12:43 PM
Can I get my pitchfork in some sort of neon see-through color?

I have a slightly used neon red one that I'll let you borrow.

Zool
09-22-2008, 12:48 PM
Is this you and the fork RG?

http://www.trygve.com/pitchfork.jpg

Harlan Huckleby
09-22-2008, 01:01 PM
I think all threads about computers, phones, washing machines, or other gadgets should be moved to the garbage can. Or just delete them, they are offensively boring.

Or maybe create a new chat room, "Partial's Corner"

Tyrone Bigguns
09-22-2008, 04:45 PM

Source? I don't believe this for a second.

I believe that is complete and utter bullshit, especially considering linux isn't an os but a kernel. huge difference. You could add up all the distros and I doubt they come anywhere near OS X.

update: I just googled linux adoption rate and have found that many sources believe linux adoption is stagnant right now. Of course its growing in the headless server farm area, but it is not where it needs to be yet for high adoption in the PC world.

more googling: Microsoft has 90.8% market share as of August 2008. OS X has 7.94. The left over is 1.26%. Get back to me when they break 5. OS X was 1% several years ago. They're rapidly growing, as are Apple stock holders portfolio's over the past 10 years.

Nobody was arguing about high adoption..it has the highest growth..which is easy to do when you are so low. Simple math.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-22-2008, 04:46 PM

I could care less what % of market share they have.

You said they are gaining more and more....yet, the stats don't back you up, nor is their market share even impressive.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-22-2008, 04:48 PM
Ty... we're waiting.

Ok douchebag.

http://apple20.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2008/06/01/mac-hits-record-78-market-share-in-net-applications-survey/
:lol:

Partial
09-22-2008, 04:57 PM
Ty... we're waiting.

Ok douchebag.

http://apple20.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2008/06/01/mac-hits-record-78-market-share-in-net-applications-survey/

Month to month is not an accurate representation at all. Check over 5 years. You'll see OS X is the fastest growing by far.

Furthermore, your statement to GBM is completely wrong. Stats do back up here claim completely. Looking at a one month window is FAR too small.

Of course in May to June there was a big jump in linux usage. New version of Ubuntu came out in may, and fedora, etc. I'm not at all surprised.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-22-2008, 05:00 PM
Ty... we're waiting.

Ok douchebag.

Month to month is not an accurate representation at all. Check over 5 years. You'll see OS X is the fastest growing by far.

As determined by you...sorry, but i didn't stipulate that.

The point is what is happening NOW. Who cares about what happened 5 years ago...GB was relating her story of vista and how it impacts NOW. So, we are confining ourselves to the present. We are looking at trends now..purchasing decisions NOW.

You are so right..guess that is why companies decide not release quarterly reports. Nobody would be interested in the last 3 months. :oops:

Buhbye.

Partial
09-22-2008, 05:03 PM
1 month is not accurate to what is happening now. It's far too short of a window. Far too many factors in that month to consider. For staters, it was taken after christmas in a poor economy, but before the biggest time of the year for mac sales.

Who would buy a Mac in May when they can wait until July or August and get a free iPod Touch (300 dollar value) and a free printer (200 dollar value). Of course, having done this for many years most college students know of this and wait.

Horrendous data my friend. Even a dirt bag like you is better than that.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-22-2008, 05:12 PM
1 month is not accurate to what is happening now. It's far too short of a window. Far too many factors in that month to consider. For staters, it was taken after christmas in a poor economy, but before the biggest time of the year for mac sales.

Who would buy a Mac in May when they can wait until July or August and get a free iPod Touch (300 dollar value) and a free printer (200 dollar value). Of course, having done this for many years most college students know of this and wait.

Horrendous data my friend. Even a dirt bag like you is better than that.

It is a 3 month viewpoint...if it was bad, why would they do it.

But, let's take a year..and again, linux wins.

Buhbye.

retailguy
09-22-2008, 08:30 PM
Is this you and the fork RG?

http://www.trygve.com/pitchfork.jpg

:shock:

Hell, I wasn't that skinny in the waist coming out the womb.

I think that's either Partial killing a PC, or Tyrone killing a Mac.

Alternatively, it could be Tank on a midnight prowl looking for Ted Thompson.

retailguy
09-22-2008, 08:34 PM
Buhbye.

You don't actually think that you're winning a debate that hasn't happened yet, and hundreds of people with millions of dollars invested haven't figured out yet, do you?

You got a GUESS. I hope you're right, because I hate mac's and I can actually tolerate linux, but I'd rather not use either one. That's why I'm still using XP and will until it dies. I might even rebuild my laptop one more time, with an XP install before I take drastic action.

My wife wants a new laptop, and I've toyed with the idea of taking the new hard drive out, and replacing it with an XP load on a different drive. My only worry is driver support.