PDA

View Full Version : The new Cowboys' Stadium

Patler
09-21-2008, 05:54 AM
This is a link to a JS article on the new stadium:
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=797212

300 luxury suites
A 70 foot tall video board stretching the entire distance between the 20 yard lines.
Is this too much glitz and glamor?
Is this a good thing for the NFL as a whole?

Some franchises, Green Bay included, will never be able to construct a project of that scale. Personal seat licenses are as high as $150,000.. The new Giants-Jets stadium is nearly as expensive, although I have seen little about its design.

I think this could cause problems well beyond those that can be solved with a more-inclusive revenue sharing plan. Cities will back away from demands for stadiums that can compete, causing franchises to move. More importantly, franchises themselves may overspend on stadiums, only to find their fan base will not support it. At one time the NFL was a ticket to print money for the owner, now it could become a high-stakes poker table.

Brando19
09-21-2008, 07:38 AM
Jerry Jones wants to be remembered as the man who made the Cowboys "glamorous." I'll always remember him as the man who owned the Cowboys when they choked in the Playoffs.

GBRulz
09-21-2008, 10:00 AM
Hill said fans sitting in the nosebleed seats will likely be watching the game on the video board instead of on the field below. Players will look like they’re 15 feet tall.

Ok, if I'm at a stadium and the players look like ants because you are so far away...WHY would I go to the game? For the atmosphere, perhaps. However, once you've experienced that, is it enough for you to keep going back and to pay thousands of $$$ for a seat license? That is the one thing that I love about Lambeau is that there isn't a bad seat in the house. The Packers though, need to start taking advantage of the revenue that Lambeau is capable of bringing in...IMO, they are missing out on many opportunities.

Maybe it's just me, but for the first year or two...a new stadium is a big draw. For example, Miller Park. I wanted to go down there and see a game and check out the new stadium. I don't know if this new stadium that Jones is designing is going to be able to support itself, but that's just my opinion. I live in the NFL's smallest market, maybe things are much different in TX.

Patler
09-21-2008, 10:14 AM
I don't know if this new stadium that Jones is designing is going to be able to support itself, but that's just my opinion. I live in the NFL's smallest market, maybe things are much different in TX.

That was the first question that came to my mind. Texas probably will support it. They have high school fields that are better than many college fields. But outside of the biggest markets, what will happen if others try to compete with this? I think it could be trouble.

RashanGary
09-21-2008, 10:29 AM
I love that stadium. I don't knwo where the site is, but there used to be a virtual video that rolls you through the stadium, showing what it will look like complete. It looks amazing. The next time the Packers play in Dallas I think I'm going to make the trip just to see that place. It's going to be a money pit for Jones.

oregonpackfan
09-21-2008, 11:05 AM
I think the new stadium probably will financially survive. The Dallas-Ft. Worth area has something Green Bay and Wisconsin will never have--oil money!

There are still plenty of people involved in the oil business making big bucks who can easily afford those luxury suites.

MadtownPacker
09-21-2008, 11:10 AM
I gotta admit what I have seen of the stadium is hella sick. I can understand how cowpuke fan like way jones does business. He does do whatever he can to keep them competive. Didnt the MNF game last week say they are the NFLs most valuable franchise? Still hate them though.

Partial
09-21-2008, 11:19 AM
I thought Jerry Jones was funding a good amount of the stadium himself?

Patler
09-21-2008, 11:29 AM

He is funding most of it. The local government contribution is capped at something like $350 million.

I agree, looking at the sketches the stadium looks absolutely phenomenal. With entrances/exits at the ends, it looks like it will be very orderly. I really would like to see it when it is done. However, I'm not sure it is a good thing for the NFL when a couple teams have facilities that most other franchises can't possibly match.

esoxx
09-21-2008, 11:35 AM
Jones doesn't care what other teams do he's all about maximizing his investment and team, which is certainly his right.

However, if he had his way, there wouldn't be revenue sharing and small market teams like GB wouldn't exist.

digitaldean
09-21-2008, 11:35 AM

He is funding most of it. The local government contribution is capped at something like $350 million.

I agree, looking at the sketches the stadium looks absolutely phenomenal. With entrances/exits at the ends, it looks like it will be very orderly. I really would like to see it when it is done. However, I'm not sure it is a good thing for the NFL when a couple teams have facilities that most other franchises can't possibly match.

A buddy of mine is a Cowboys fan. He calls JJ "Skeletor" after all the plastic surgery he's had done. :lol:

That aside, if he's using his own money mostly to fund it, more power to him. Still hate his team, and I still think some of his dealings on the CBA will lead to undermine league wide revenue sharing.

The NE Wis. area had to have a full court press on it to pass the building referendum. It passed only by 6% margin. If the Packers wanted to build something like that it'd never fly here.

Freak Out
09-21-2008, 12:54 PM
....should be nuked.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-21-2008, 12:56 PM
Jerry Jones wants to be remembered as the man who made the Cowboys "glamorous." I'll always remember him as the man who owned the Cowboys when they choked in the Playoffs.

He owned them when they won a bunch of super bowls.

GBRulz
09-21-2008, 01:42 PM
The NE Wis. area had to have a full court press on it to pass the building referendum. It passed only by 6% margin. If the Packers wanted to build something like that it'd never fly here.

I agree, but a big reason why it passed by such a narrow margin was because of how it was proposed. Harlan basically used scare tactics, in that if you don't give us the money, we won't stay in GB, while Milwaukee will be waiting for us with open arms and a brand new stadium. That didn't sit well with a lot of people.

It amazes me how many locals are against supporting the Packers at all. I have a feeling that the next time GB needs money, it's going to be to build a new stadium. Not sure how much more can be done to expand Lambeau in the current neighborhood. They already are losing tons of money because of the lack of parking.

mission
09-21-2008, 01:45 PM

He owned them when they won a bunch of super bowls.

minor detail, ty ... lol

oregonpackfan
09-21-2008, 02:11 PM
[quote=digitaldean]

It amazes me how many locals are against supporting the Packers at all. I have a feeling that the next time GB needs money, it's going to be to build a new stadium. Not sure how much more can be done to expand Lambeau in the current neighborhood. They already are losing tons of money because of the lack of parking.

For those Green Bay residents who don't support the Packers, they need to be grateful as well as proud that a city of 100,000 can own a pro football team, much less a pro team with the storied tradition of the Packers.

At a family reunion in Sheboygan this past summer, I took a morning out to drive my wife and daughters to Lambeau to experience part of our family tradition of being Packer fans.

My daughters were surprised at how small a city Green Bay turned out to be. I added, "Not only is Green Bay is smaller than Portland, it is smaller than Salem, Eugene, Corvallis, and Gresham(all Oregon cities)."

Both girls had to admit that Lambeau Field was more impressive than Autzen Stadium(University of Oregon in Eugene) and Reser Stadium(Oregon State in Corvallis).

Despite my growing aversion to cold weather, I would be proud to live in Green Bay. 8-)

BallHawk
09-21-2008, 02:30 PM
http://stadium.dallascowboys.com/

It's Disney World-like. :shock:

GBRulz
09-21-2008, 03:00 PM
For those Green Bay residents who don't support the Packers, they need to be grateful as well as proud that a city of 100,000 can own a pro football team, much less a pro team with the storied tradition of the Packers.

A lot of residents don't see it that way though, OPF. They see the Packers as a private organization and should support themselves. I always scratch my head as to why you wouldn't support the Packers. Even if you aren't a fan, they bring so much economically to the city. However, WI residents are already taxed through the gills on just about everything, so there comes a point when you have to say enough is enough already.

DonHutson
09-22-2008, 02:08 PM
Some franchises, Green Bay included, will never be able to construct a project of that scale.

If you wondered why he's doing it, that's your answer.

Stadium revenue doesn't have to be shared, so put everything under one roof. As long as there's a salary cap and revenue sharing, then there's a limit to how fast he can spend the money - no matter how fast he makes it. If those things go away, then a stadium like this becomes a huge advantage.

Patler
09-22-2008, 02:15 PM
Some franchises, Green Bay included, will never be able to construct a project of that scale.

If you wondered why he's doing it, that's your answer.

Stadium revenue doesn't have to be shared, so put everything under one roof. As long as there's a salary cap and revenue sharing, then there's a limit to how fast he can spend the money - no matter how fast he makes it. If those things go away, then a stadium like this becomes a huge advantage.

That's also why some owners and the players want a more inclusive revenue sharing plan. The players prefer more cash in their pocket than glitz in their surroundings. With the extra income Jones can do things to make the Cowboys a more desirable place to play, or pocket the extra income, but as long as there is a salary cap based on other things the extra income will not go directly to the players.

The players want their share of a bigger pot, and some smaller markets would like to reign in the big wheeler-dealers by a revenue sharing plan that includes more sources of income.