PDA

View Full Version : Packer pass protection

KYPack
09-21-2008, 11:02 AM
There is another thread which covers the Packers difficulties at getting the running plays blocked. At the same time, The Packer OLine is one of the NFL's best at pass protection.

One reason for the Packers high rating at pass protection is the excellent play of 1st year starter QB Aaron Rodgers.

In GB's first two games there have been 16 times that Rodgers has been forced out of the pocket. He has 7 rushes for 68 yards and 6 1st downs.
He has tossed 8 times in force situations, completing 4 for 78 yards and 1 TD.

He has been sacked a grand total of once.

That is outstanding play by our whole O, but especially by ARod.

oregonpackfan
09-21-2008, 11:10 AM
Arod's running ability brings a whole new dimension to the Packers' offense. We not only saw that in the first two games of the season, we saw it last year when Rodgers was called into action when Favre went down.

Favre was(is) elusive in the backfield but he no longer was a threat to run with the ball. That allowed the linebackers to drift deeper and help the secondary with coverage. With Rodgers' running ability, if the defense is too deep in coverage he can run for enough yards for a first down.

If Rodgers runs in the middle, mind you, we want him to slide rather than receive a hit. In addition, if he is running to the outside, we want to to run out of bounds rather than take a hit.

Partial
09-21-2008, 11:17 AM
I've noticed this year players seem to be getting away with an added hit mid-slide. I really dislike that.

MadtownPacker
09-21-2008, 11:33 AM
I've noticed this year players seem to be getting away with an added hit mid-slide. I really dislike that.I noticed that too. Didnt a lion throw himself at ARod, from behind, after he had started sliding on a run? I was waiting for a flag but didnt see it.

bobblehead
09-21-2008, 11:38 AM
I've noticed this year players seem to be getting away with an added hit mid-slide. I really dislike that.I noticed that too. Didnt a lion throw himself at ARod, from behind, after he had started sliding on a run? I was waiting for a flag but didnt see it.

I blame QB's who would fake a slide...or slow down like they were about to slide, then take off again for 20 yards. The officials take note of these things and started letting the D finish the play as long as they aren't head hunting.

For years I have wanted an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for abusing rules put in for specific purposes..like the spike to stop the clock. If you let QB's fake that spike then throw a bomb, don't be upset when the DT tee's off on your center trying to get to the QB who we all "know" is going to spike it.