PDA

View Full Version : John Adams

packinpatland
09-21-2008, 09:59 PM
This was the best TV has had to offer in a long time.
They should make it 'must see TV' for all kids before they graduate from school.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/TV/09/21/emmy.awards/index.html

SkinBasket
09-21-2008, 10:05 PM
I'm sorry, but a miniseries about John Adams is how you spell B-O-R-I-N-G. I couldn't even keep up with the Tudors, and they showed boobs once or twice a week.

mraynrand
09-21-2008, 10:11 PM
How 'bout the school kids read the fucking book and get the hell out from in front of the goddamn TV?

BallHawk
09-21-2008, 11:54 PM
How 'bout the school kids read the fucking book and get the hell out from in front of the goddamn TV?

How bout we make the bastards read all 1,120 of "Truman"? :twisted:

Harlan Huckleby
09-22-2008, 12:15 AM
I think it is possible to learn a lot from TV. there are lots of different ways to learn - reading books, newspapers, movies, talk radio, documentaries on tv, overhearing conversations.

Tarlam!
09-22-2008, 05:40 AM
there are lots of different ways to learn - reading books, newspapers, movies, talk radio, documentaries on tv, overhearing conversations.

I wonder when they'll invent a learning method to help you, HH. :P

packinpatland
09-22-2008, 05:59 AM
I'm sorry, but a miniseries about John Adams is how you spell B-O-R-I-N-G. I couldn't even keep up with the Tudors, and they showed boobs once or twice a week.

Esplains so much.........................

SkinBasket
09-22-2008, 06:40 AM

What's an esplain?

I've had several hundred hours of history edumacation and have always been interested in several world histories. I can't help that American history is about as exciting as watching an Elk Lodge bingo game. I guessing that if the show is interesting, there's been a fair amount of dramatic embellishment, making it less than valuable as a learning device.

packinpatland
09-22-2008, 06:57 AM

What's an esplain?

I've had several hundred hours of history edumacation and have always been interested in several world histories. I can't help that American history is about as exciting as watching an Elk Lodge bingo game. I guessing that if the show is interesting, there's been a fair amount of dramatic embellishment, making it less than valuable as a learning device.

Let me explain.............had you watched it, you would have found that there was little or no drama or embellishment. Better yet, did you read David McCullough's Pulitzer Prize winning book the series was based on?

It was a well put together, interesting series, directed by Tom Hanks
http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/tv_and_radio/article4774840.ece

By your own admission you found American History "as exciting as watching an Elk Lodge bingo game".........there are probably a good percent to kids today that feel the same (what a shame), watching a series like this, just might hold more interest for the kids of this generation.
Knowing the where, what, why's and how's this country was built is not a bad thing...........it might actually inspire.

SkinBasket
09-22-2008, 08:14 AM
By your own admission you found American History "as exciting as watching an Elk Lodge bingo game

I didn't find it boring. It is boring.

Harlan Huckleby
09-22-2008, 12:14 PM
there are lots of different ways to learn - reading books, newspapers, movies, talk radio, documentaries on tv, overhearing conversations.

most of my education comes from packerrats.com

mraynrand
09-22-2008, 12:46 PM

You don't seem to be paying attention in class. Perhaps you have ADD. I have some meds for you...

retailguy
09-22-2008, 12:47 PM

Spend more time in the garbage can. That's where we hide the e-books.

Charles Woodson
09-22-2008, 03:53 PM
Wasnt too bad, watched it this summer...

texaspackerbacker
09-22-2008, 04:23 PM
Imparting of knowledge is imparting of knowledge. It makes little difference what medium is used to do the imparting.

Now if they would make it a cartoon ........

I say this as somebody who got through all my literature classes with Classic Comics.

Joemailman
09-22-2008, 05:37 PM
If John Adams is so great, how come he doesn't have a line of beers named after him like Sam Adams?

Actually, Americans should know more about the founding fathers than they do. Just finished a book about the election of 1800 between Adams and Jefferson. Very interesting stuff.

Freak Out
09-22-2008, 05:43 PM
I say this as somebody who got through all my literature classes with Classic Comics.

Ha ha! Now those were some Cliff Notes!

digitaldean
09-22-2008, 08:44 PM
I love David McCullough's work. Unfortunately with my schedule, audiobooks are the only way for me to go. I can still take in what I want while still working.

Besides, ever since I listened to his narration of the Civil War series back in the 90's, I had to listen to John Adams on audiobook. Also, just purchased audio version of Truman and am about 1/3 of the way through.

I do the same for my other favorite author, Tom Clancy.

Don't have HBO so I didn't see the miniseries. But, once I can get my hands on the DVDs at my library, I will watch it.

BallHawk
09-22-2008, 09:36 PM
Also, just purchased audio version of Truman and am about 1/3 of the way through.

One month down, two to go.

:D

texaspackerbacker
09-22-2008, 09:59 PM

Ha ha! Now those were some Cliff Notes!

Cliff Notes were good too, but not as much fun as Classic Comics. I bought my kids the complete set when they got to late elementary school.

Harlan Huckleby
09-23-2008, 02:35 PM
Imparting of knowledge is imparting of knowledge. It makes little difference what medium is used to do the imparting.

smart people are learning all the time, just by being curious and paying attention. One can learn lots at packerrats, even.

packinpatland
09-23-2008, 03:43 PM
I would obviously rather not have kids sit in front of the TV......but things have changed considerably over the years. I say whatever teaching tool helps, use it. Our American history is exciting, dramatic and very moving.
When I think of those men, signing the Declaration of Independence, knowing it could literally have been their death sentence......that's powerful stuff.

texaspackerbacker
09-23-2008, 04:03 PM
The whole "TV is bad for kids" thing is way overrated. Other than saturation with liberal political positions--which is a different argument altogether--I see nothing wrong with kids being entertained by TV. Generally, they will get some knowledge imparted at the same time.

If kids want to learn, they will learn despite being allowed to watch TV, even what some might call trash TV. If they don't want to work to learn, then you're not going to make them learn--not by forcing them to read, not by grounding them from TV watching, etc. In other words, it's more of a communication of family values thing than a forcing them to either learn or suffer for not learning thing.

Harlan Huckleby
09-23-2008, 04:07 PM
Guess I am on record as saying that playing video games is a brain dead activity, so I have contradicted myself. It is possible to become dumber if you put a little effort into it.

Scott Campbell
09-23-2008, 07:24 PM

http://www.etonline.com/media/photo/2007/09/29777/400_viewcast_theview_070904_abc_stevefenn.jpg

HowardRoark
09-23-2008, 09:10 PM

http://www.etonline.com/media/photo/2007/09/29777/400_viewcast_theview_070904_abc_stevefenn.jpg

Elizabeth can tutor me.....

http://images.broadwayworld.com/upload/11153/liz1.jpg

Harlan Huckleby
09-23-2008, 10:29 PM
hey, I've learned plenty from The View, case in point. They have very intelliegent discussions from time to time.

mraynrand
09-23-2008, 10:50 PM

Elizabeth can tutor me.....

Is she reading "Pet My Goat?"

HowardRoark
09-24-2008, 06:56 AM

Is she reading "Pet My Goat?

Elizabeth can pet my spleen......

falco
09-24-2008, 06:12 PM

thanks to your recommendation I have been enjoying boobs for the last 3 nights