PDA

View Full Version : What went wrong against Dallas?

Brando19
09-21-2008, 10:04 PM
I know there's still time in the game........but I don't see a miracle happening. What the hell went wrong in this game? I see alot of cleaning up that needs to happen. They've exposed our weak run defense, our OL couldn't protect flea, too many uncalled for penalties, Jones couldn't catch a cold...the Packers are back to the drawing board.

On the upside...AJ Hawk is a stud.

Scott Campbell
09-21-2008, 10:07 PM
Were not in their class.

MJZiggy
09-21-2008, 10:11 PM
We missed Bigby and Harris.
We played like crap on the o-line and
Dallas sucks.

RIPackerFan
09-21-2008, 10:16 PM
Dallas loaded up in the offseason - they are the team to beat now, with the Brady hurt.

GBRulz
09-21-2008, 10:19 PM
Dallas scored more points than us

Bretsky
09-21-2008, 10:23 PM
This is not really that disappointing if you've watched both teams play their previous games this year; they are just better. It's that simple.

Both sides of the lines for Dallas were dominant. We do not match up well.

They are better.

Brando19
09-21-2008, 10:24 PM
I am wanting the switch of Wells to Center and Spitz in place of Moll.

red
09-21-2008, 10:34 PM
they are just the better team right now

better o-line, better d-line

and thats all you really need to look at

Harlan Huckleby
09-21-2008, 10:35 PM

right. I don't think it is a case of the packer o-line or d-line playing badly. The Cowboys were just better, won more battles.

Brohm
09-21-2008, 10:39 PM
Big Play - Lost containment on the long TD run. Noone was even on that side of the field, Hawk went in on an apparent blitz and Jenkins was hooked inside.

Big Play II - Coverage breakdown resulting in long bomb for TD.

Aaron "Bad Angle" Rouse needs some films study or something. Also needs to start lighting people up with his size. SHould have lit up the receiver on the bomb setting up the third TD.

We got some coverage sacks but 4-man rush was grim.

Offense was inconsistant, defense could not get off the field. Red zone offense needs some work.

Penalties. Penalties. Penalties

HarveyWallbangers
09-21-2008, 10:39 PM

I'm not that devastated. Dallas is better. We played okay, but gave up three indefensible plays to Felix Jones and Miles Austin. We match up well with a team like Minnesota, but Dallas is a bad matchup for us. They have a huge OL, and we struggle against that type of OL. It's going to take some time for Rodgers to figure out the 3-4 scheme--especially one with that kind of talent.

RashanGary
09-21-2008, 10:40 PM

right. I don't think it is a case of the packer o-line or d-line playing badly. The Cowboys were just better, won more battles.

Agreed.

Pacopete4
09-21-2008, 10:41 PM
Arod showed he's a rookie in the sense of playing time..

our Dline cannot get past that mammoth Oline they have by rushing just 4

too many penalty's..... again

-------------------
side note: Do we have any other WR's besides Jennings on a 8 yard slant hoping he takes it to the house?... piss poor game planning

All in all... we're just not even close to being as good as them...

Noodle
09-21-2008, 10:42 PM
They really are a well-balanced offensive attack -- great running game, terrific recievers, a killer go-to tight end. Romo had forever to throw, their line was opening up great holes. They were getting pressure on Rodgers consistently. The real deal.

God I hate them so much.

Harlan Huckleby
09-21-2008, 10:43 PM
Angle" Rouse needs some films study or something. Also needs to start lighting people up with his size. SHould have lit up the receiver on the bomb setting up the third TD.

ya, Rouse did not do his job as a safety on that play. And he let Barber slip through his hands in the backfield at least once (Barber was breaking tackles against the whole defense all night.) But Rouse tackled very impressively most of the game.

outflow
09-21-2008, 10:43 PM
The better team won tonight.

That being said...Run Defense
Run Blocking
No one underneath to make Romo hesitate to Witten
Very very questionable 1st and 2nd down playcalling (felt too predictable running it all the time on 1st down particularly 2nd and 3rd quarters, wasn't nearly aggressive enough. where were the quick curls/slants after the 1st quarter?).

Was very pleased with the secondary play (minus Williams beat on that last long TD reception).

Bretsky
09-21-2008, 10:44 PM

I'm not that devastated. Dallas is better. We played okay, but gave up three indefensible plays to Felix Jones and Miles Austin. We match up well with a team like Minnesota, but Dallas is a bad matchup for us. They have a huge OL, and we struggle against that type of OL. It's going to take some time for Rodgers to figure out the 3-4 scheme--especially one with that kind of talent.

Completely agree; I'm not devastated at all. I predicted a loss. We're not at that level yet. Kind of like being pissed when the Brewers lose to the Cubs. Right now they are better.

Harlan Huckleby
09-21-2008, 10:44 PM
They really are a well-balanced offensive attack -- great running game, terrific recievers, a killer go-to tight end. Romo had forever to throw, their line was opening up great holes. They were getting pressure on Rodgers consistently. The real deal.

God I hate them so much.

ya, you wonder how they got so much talent. Do they get extra draft picks or something?

Patler
09-21-2008, 10:45 PM
Right now, Dallas is better in a lot of aspects. Much more physical all the way around.

Pacopete4
09-21-2008, 10:46 PM
We didn't need 3 FG's against a top tier team.. we had to put balls into the endzone and we just didnt do that.. don't kid urself, they are better... but we had our chances to really get in this game and steal it, but no one stepped up and took the opportunity

Zool
09-21-2008, 10:46 PM
Parcell's team is coming to fruition.

Bretsky
09-21-2008, 10:49 PM

God I hate them so much.

ya, you wonder how they got so much talent. Do they get extra draft picks or something?

IF I'm not mistaken they did pull the trigger in trading away the pick for Brady Quinn two years back and picked up a high pick for that. That pick might have been Felix Jones but I'm not sure.

They've used all means to build this team. Good drafts mixed with a few free agent signings and a trade or two.

On paper they are one incredibly talented team

TravisWilliams23
09-21-2008, 10:51 PM

I was thinking that also, Zool.

Dallas was really sucking ass before Parcells showed up and turned things around. They have a solid foundation now and should be good for quite some time.

Zool
09-21-2008, 10:54 PM

I was thinking that also, Zool.

Dallas was really sucking ass before Parcells showed up and turned things around. They have a solid foundation now and should be good for quite some time.

The huge o-line, the stout d-line with completely assignment sure LB's. Its a very tried and true formula. Too many teams are falling in love with the Tampa-2 type LB. It goes in cycles I suppose.

Guiness
09-21-2008, 10:54 PM

That's not what I saw, if you're refering to the long play to Austin. He was double covered, pretty nicely too. I'm not sure how he pulled that in.

texaspackerbacker
09-21-2008, 10:55 PM
Dallas played like the best in the NFL--a helluva lot better than they played against Philadelphia. Their personnel is clearly better overall.

Also, the injuries hurt in the Packers secondary and among the receivers. Jones must have gotten hurt. I don't think they just held him out for a miss or two. Humphrey seemed to be missing too, maybe just because of playing catch up, I don't know.

With all the talk this week about the O Line, they looked bad in what usually has been their strong point--pass blocking. It was, however, against the probably best pass rush in the NFL. Dallas beat the Packers at our own game--bend-don't-break defense. We'd get Grant a little hole; We'd complete our slants; Every time, though, Dallas had somebody there to prevent a big gain Even on the long passes, they had somebody back. It was a classic case of smart defense, as opposed to blitzing stupidly--which Dallas sometimes does.

The Packers D played pretty much the same intelligent type of defense. Either because of the injuries or just being not quite as loaded with talent, they couldn't quite pull it off.

Guiness
09-21-2008, 10:56 PM
I said it in the game thread, but it bears repeating here. Whitten is a great TE, and was a difference maker, especially on a couple of those 3rd down catches.

Harlan Huckleby
09-21-2008, 10:58 PM
I said it in the game thread, but it bears repeating here. Whitten is a great TE, and was a difference maker, especially on a couple of those 3rd down catches.

It doesn't even seem to matter if he is covered. He is bigger and more athletic than the defenders.

Lurker64
09-21-2008, 11:00 PM
Mostly what I learned was that Dallas is closer than we are. This is a Cowboys team that has been getting better for 5-6 years now. We've only been getting better for about 3 as everything up to 4-12 was sort of a steady decline.

We didn't really play poorly, but they played better. Eventually, we'll play better than we did tonight and we'll get another shot at them.

Harlan Huckleby
09-21-2008, 11:03 PM
error #47

RashanGary
09-21-2008, 11:03 PM
The mishandling of snaps is getting to be a weekly thing. It's about to the poitn of completely unacceptable.

mission
09-21-2008, 11:19 PM
The mishandling of snaps is getting to be a weekly thing. It's about to the poitn of completely unacceptable.

3 for 3... awesome.

oregonpackfan
09-22-2008, 01:20 AM
I agree with several posters who pointed out that the Cowboys were simply a much stronger team on both sides of the ball.

We have to remember this is just the third game of a 16 game season. There is time for to players to correct mistakes and develop by the end of the season.

The Packers are still on top of the NFC-North division. They need to focus especially on winning their division games.

CaliforniaCheez
09-22-2008, 06:01 AM
The Packers played as well as they could.

Dallas has a much better O-line. The Packers O-line is good but the Cowboys is great.

They took care of KGB, Jolly, and Ryan Pickett pretty well. They were able to keep Kampmann from dominating. Controlling the line of scrimmage leads to success.

Wells and Sitton are going to be back in the line up soon.

Ryan Grant like most holdouts got injured. The Packers should bench him until his health improves.

As a big Rouse booster, I know realize why he is not a starter and shut up on the subject.

Jordy Nelson is a great prospect. Jordy Nelson is an inexperienced rookie.

Aaron Rodgers continues to learn and improve.

If the lineups remain the same the Packers will lose to the Cowboys if they play again this season.

The Packers didn't make too many mistakes so don't blame the loss on them.

The big difference between the teams was the O-lines and the running game.

]{ilr]3
09-22-2008, 06:19 AM

What? :? :shock:
There were a lot of problems last night, but Aaron Rodgers was not one of them.

LL2
09-22-2008, 06:26 AM
I agree with several posters who pointed out that the Cowboys were simply a much stronger team on both sides of the ball.

We have to remember this is just the third game of a 16 game season. There is time for to players to correct mistakes and develop by the end of the season.

The Packers are still on top of the NFC-North division. They need to focus especially on winning their division games.

Your right we need to focus on winning the division, but a loss to the cowturds really sucks. I hate that team. I was hoping for a trend where we start beating them all the time.

cpk1994
09-22-2008, 06:58 AM
:bs2: As someone else noted, there were many problems, but ARod was not one of them. I was impressed by the fact he didn't make any of the boneheaded throws that we've seen over the years despite the constant pressure. He did all he could. Can't say the same for many of the others.

pbmax
09-22-2008, 07:17 AM

Spitz is still new to the center position. He started playing it as a starter halfway through camp.

While I agree that the Cowboys, esp on the line, are ahead of the Packers, I still don't think they are 27-16 as visitors better. I think scheme and execution were a bigger problem than just personnel matchups. We ran the ball effectively although not for huge plays.

And our passing game was quite mediocre. Though it did produce some big plays, it could never get into the back of the endzone.

Patler
09-22-2008, 07:18 AM
Having thought a bit more about the game this morning, I don't think we should make too many conclusions from one game. I wonder what we would think of the relative overall strengths and weaknesses of New England and Miami if we had watched that game from start to finish?

pbmax
09-22-2008, 07:21 AM
:bs2: As someone else noted, there were many problems, but ARod was not one of them. I was impressed by the fact he didn't make any of the boneheaded throws that we've seen over the years despite the constant pressure. He did all he could. Can't say the same for many of the others.
No, I think he had his share of trouble. Several times he didn't find a receiver quickly. Other times he bailed wide and ran into pressure. Several times it seemed he bailed quickly. By the fourth quarter, the Cowboys pass rush was winning, but that has as much to do with the time and score as with the O Line.

He was playing against a zone and not seeing the holes, or the receivers were not in the holes. When this happened he was indecisive and then the pass rush got him.

pbmax
09-22-2008, 07:24 AM
Having thought a bit more about the game this morning, I don't think we should make too many conclusions from one game. I wonder what we would think of the relative overall strengths and weaknesses of New England and Miami if we had watched that game from start to finish?
Good point. But it does give McCarthy a clinic full of film about how not to play winning football.

It will be interesting to see what changes this will bring. One I am worried about is Wells. Spitz provides much needed heft and run blocking. But removing Moll from the starting lineup at guard might be a greater concern. College seems to have taken a step up. Perhaps from below average to mediocre :lol:

KYPack
09-22-2008, 07:56 AM
Good point. But it does give McCarthy a clinic full of film about how not to play winning football.

It will be interesting to see what changes this will bring. One I am worried about is Wells. Spitz provides much needed heft and run blocking. But removing Moll from the starting lineup at guard might be a greater concern. College seems to have taken a step up. Perhaps from below average to mediocre :lol:

You'd have to say Colledge stepped up a little. Hell, last year he got benched against Dallas as they ran him off the field. This year, he held his own. DC is a guy who improves with tiny steps each game, not all high picks can come in an get it right away. Colledge is progressing at the rate it takes most young guys to get in the swing of things.

Moll is a pretty good back-up, but that's what he is... a back-up. That said, I think the OLine is in better shape than it's been in for 4 seasons.

This is a great thread. A big game against a strong opponent is a pretty accurate mirror. All our needs and weaknesses are pretty apparent to all. The second youngest team in the league is a contender that needs to improve in some crucial areas.

I was actually encouraged. When we get mature, we will be the king of the hill, like Dallas is now.

Partial
09-22-2008, 08:10 AM
We didn't play to win. We played for field goals and at the end we played for experience instead of taking a shot down the field.

Brohm
09-22-2008, 08:17 AM

That's not what I saw, if you're refering to the long play to Austin. He was double covered, pretty nicely too. I'm not sure how he pulled that in.

This was where Collins left him wide open. Not the one in double coverage.

The Gunshooter
09-22-2008, 08:45 AM
We didn't play to win. We played for field goals and at the end we played for experience instead of taking a shot down the field.

Exactly. The coaches I thought sucked worst of all. They just don't adjust to what is happening on the field. They are passive, you can't run the same defense over and over, you get your defense banged up. They have to attack. Mix it up, Dallas sure did and our line couldn't figure out who to block and when they did they whiffed a lot or just got manhandled. You have to take risks to beat a elite team like Dallas otherwise they are just going to slowly march up and down the field and wear out your D. The first possession Grant fumbles and Dallas gets a free 3 points. The second possession they fumbled the snap. They sucked ass on first down. GB was so predictable Dallas knew what was coming and Rodgers would not audible. Not a good start. Then Dallas forces them to go 8 in the box and Sanders will have none of that. Next thing you know the defense is on the field way too long and the offense cannot get into a rythym if the defense is on field giving up time consuming drives. I would rather see more aggressive defense. Now every starter in the defensive backfield is hurt because of that pussy Sanders. Let Dallas score quick if you have to but get 8 or 9 in the box if you have to and shut that run down.

CaliforniaCheez
09-22-2008, 09:30 AM

Collins slipped as he tried to change direction and cover the man. Add to that the confusion with the crossing route and Woodson going with the outside WR which led him to make a big change in direction caused the receiver to get open.

Not an excuse just a reason.

pbmax
09-22-2008, 09:36 AM
Nobody plays for field goals, but I agree with the larger point. Three trips into the Red Zone. 3 Figgies. The statistical workup done in the offseason seems to have lessened some of the prime time penalties (though not all - and Jermichael Finley has a legit complaint - if he had kept his hand off that helmet and just fallen down the penalty would have gone the other way).

But the offseason work didn't improve the Red Zone performance. I think Rodgers has under-used the TE so far this season. But its still a learning curve for him.

pbmax
09-22-2008, 09:38 AM

Collins slipped as he tried to change direction and cover the man. Add to that the confusion with the crossing route and Woodson going with the outside WR which led him to make a big change in direction caused the receiver to get open.

Not an excuse just a reason.
My guess is that there was no confusion except for Collins. Woodson clearly had the underneath stuff in that zone. He was supposed to hand that guy off to the deeper safety. But Collins read the QB or route wrong and was headed upfield. Biting on whatever he saw made that completion easy.

HarveyWallbangers
09-22-2008, 10:01 AM
My guess is that there was no confusion except for Collins. Woodson clearly had the underneath stuff in that zone. He was supposed to hand that guy off to the deeper safety. But Collins read the QB or route wrong and was headed upfield. Biting on whatever he saw made that completion easy.

There were actually three receivers on that side of the field. I'd like to know if the receiver that was going up the sideline was Terrell Owens. If that is the case, then I can't really blame Collins for cheating outside. You don't want Owens singled up on Tramon Williams down the field either.

Deputy Nutz
09-22-2008, 10:02 AM
I didn't read anyone else's posts, but a couple of things happened. First I am not burdened by this loss.

1. The Cowboys are a really good team with a ton of options on offense. It is tough to stop 5 different weapons. They also have a really good front 7 that can really disrupt the passing game, which leads to point two.

2. Tony Moll sucks.

3. Al Harris, it is 65 degrees in September and he has body cramping. More like he is butt hurt that he lost the number one assignment to Woodson. Tramon Williams is a decent corner, but he is not used to playing all of those snaps as a full time player.

4. No touchdowns in the red zone cost this team a chance to win the game.

5. No consistent running game. The Packers were doing a decent job at running the ball but McCarthy fell in love with the 4 wide shotgun formations. The Packer can and should have run the ball more against the Cowboys. Dallas had their ears pinned back for the pass.

6. Poor tackling on defense hurt. The secondary missed several tackles at the second level. If Woodson makes the tackle on Jones it is a ten yard gain instead of a 60 some yard touchdown run. Is it just me, but every time I see our corners make or attempt a tackle they get hurt. It is getting ridiculous.

7. Nick Barnett, I think he has gone back to his play from his first 3 years in the league instead of how he played his last two years.

Patler
09-22-2008, 10:27 AM
3. Al Harris, it is 65 degrees in September and he has body cramping. More like he is butt hurt that he lost the number one assignment to Woodson. Tramon Williams is a decent corner, but he is not used to playing all of those snaps as a full time player.

In fairness to Harris, they said the reason he did not go back in was because he had blood in his urine, and the medical staff would not allow him to play.

Could be he bruised his kidney or something in the collision with Hawk.

CaliforniaCheez
09-22-2008, 10:29 AM
We agree pbmax.