PDA

View Full Version : All Is Not Lost

texaspackerbacker
09-21-2008, 11:11 PM
The season obviously is not down the drain. I could see where we could even end up with the NFC best record. Dallas plays in a meat grinder division, and could easily lose a few. The Packers, on the other hand, while it would be highly unlikely that we wouldn't slip up a time or two, played and lost tonight to the ONLY team on the schedule that we aren't IMO clearly better than.

Aaron Rodgers, who definitely is the biggest determining factor in how good this season is, did NOT screw up. He did just about everything you could ask of him with virtually no mistakes. Does anybody possibly NOT think that if Favre had been the QB it would have been hugely worse? I said all along the we have a better team with Rodgers, and even in defeat tonight, that seemed clear.

Pacopete4
09-21-2008, 11:13 PM
we still have the Bucs, Titans, Saints, Panthers, Jags, Colts, Vikings, and Bears twice... all that have looked tough this year already

if you think we got it easy, you're drinking too much of the koolaid

Pacopete4
09-21-2008, 11:14 PM
The season obviously is not down the drain. I could see where we could even end up with the NFC best record. Dallas plays in a meat grinder division, and could easily lose a few. The Packers, on the other hand, while it would be highly unlikely that we wouldn't slip up a time or two, played and lost tonight to the ONLY team on the schedule that we aren't IMO clearly better than.

Aaron Rodgers, who definitely is the biggest determining factor in how good this season is, did NOT screw up. He did just about everything you could ask of him with virtually no mistakes. Does anybody possibly NOT think that if Favre had been the QB it would have been hugely worse? I said all along the we have a better team with Rodgers, and even in defeat tonight, that seemed clear.

:bs2: :bs2: :bs2: :bs2: :bs2: :bs2: :bs2:

sooner or later ur QB has to go out and win a game... did u see that he could do that tonight? I sure as hell didnt...

PackerTimer
09-21-2008, 11:19 PM
I think it's impossible to say how Favre would have done. He quite possibly would have thrown 4 picks under that pressure. However, he also might have taken a few gamble that Rodgers didn't and won the game for you.

One thing is clear this year, Rodgers isn't going to turn the ball over much. If the rest of the team plays better around him, they'll win a lot of games. If Ryan Grant doesn't fumble early, if Jones doesn't drop a first down pass in the red zone, if the defense plays a little better against the run.

texaspackerbacker
09-21-2008, 11:20 PM
Nobody said it would be easy, and as I said, I'd be surprised if we didn't slip up and lose a time or two, but the Packers should be clear favorites in those games.

And I say again, it would NOT have been a pretty sight out there with Favre instead of Rodgers. He simply would not have been able to cope with the rush anywhere near the extent that Rodgers did.

PackerTimer
09-21-2008, 11:21 PM

:bs2: :bs2: :bs2: :bs2: :bs2: :bs2: :bs2:

sooner or later ur QB has to go out and win a game... did u see that he could do that tonight? I sure as hell didnt...

Oh give it a rest. Rodgers didn't play a great game but he did make some plays that could have made a difference if the rest of the team had made some plays as well. The throw to Driver. The slant to Jones that he dropped for a first down in the red zone was a sweet throw right were it needed to be. Rodgers made some plays and didn't make any glaring mistakes. He got piss poor protection, a horrible effort against the run, and one or two key drops by the receivers. There is a big gap between these two teams but it isn't at the QB position, it's sitting right on the offensive and defensive lines.

HarveyWallbangers
09-21-2008, 11:21 PM
Rodgers was just okay. He held the ball too much. There were a bunch of other bigger factors to us losing the game. He didn't go out and throw two picks in the first quarter to put us in a huge hole.

Pacopete4
09-21-2008, 11:22 PM
Nobody said it would be easy, and as I said, I'd be surprised if we didn't slip up and lose a time or two, but the Packers should be clear favorites in those games.

And I say again, it would NOT have been a pretty site out there with Favre instead of Rodgers. He simply would not have been able to cope with the rush anywhere near the extent that Rodgers did.

he probably woulda been reading the whole field, not half of it.. and the ball woulda came outta his hand ON TIME IN A WEST COAST SYSTEM THAT IS BASED ON TIMING...

BallHawk
09-21-2008, 11:23 PM
The sky has been falling for a month.. thats why and now youre just realizing it and it kills you. I wasnt set up for this failure because I knew it was coming.. this team is flat out a joke in pressure situations... the end

Pacopete4
09-21-2008, 11:23 PM
The sky has been falling for a month.. thats why and now youre just realizing it and it kills you. I wasnt set up for this failure because I knew it was coming.. this team is flat out a joke in pressure situations... the end

:bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap:

BallHawk
09-21-2008, 11:29 PM

Thought you'd appreciate that one. :wink:

Pacopete4
09-21-2008, 11:31 PM

Thought you'd appreciate that one. :wink:

I did... I don't laugh aloud very often when reading a computer but wow... that one was hilarious haha

Partial
09-21-2008, 11:34 PM
Rodgers was just okay. He held the ball too much. There were a bunch of other bigger factors to us losing the game. He didn't go out and throw two picks in the first quarter to put us in a huge hole.

What difference does it make if one throws 2 picks and gets you in a hole or one cannot punch in a touchdown to get you in a hole? To me, all that matters it the end result. Without a doubt we needed a playmaker at that position tonight. A-Rod showed that he isn't there yet.

Pacopete4
09-21-2008, 11:36 PM

What difference does it make if one throws 2 picks and gets you in a hole or one cannot punch in a touchdown to get you in a hole? To me, all that matters it the end result. Without a doubt we needed a playmaker at that position tonight. A-Rod showed that he isn't there yet.

Agreed. Arod looks to a QB that is gonna be real good but he's just not quite there yet and it'l take time for him to get there. We needed someone to step up and make a play tonight, Arod did not do that for us when we needed him to. But then again... who did?

Partial
09-21-2008, 11:38 PM

Agreed. Arod looks to a QB that is gonna be real good but he's just not quite there yet and it'l take time for him to get there. We needed someone to step up and make a play tonight, Arod did not do that for us when we needed him to. But then again... who did?

Cullen Jenkins. Chalres Woodson.

Pacopete4
09-21-2008, 11:39 PM
I meant offensively haha but ya.. good games by both

HarveyWallbangers
09-21-2008, 11:39 PM
we still have the Bucs, Titans, Saints, Panthers, Jags, Colts, Vikings, and Bears twice... all that have looked tough this year already

I say we win the division. The teams in our division play pretty much the same schedule, so it's not like we play a much more difficult schedule.

Lurker64
09-21-2008, 11:40 PM

To be honest, expecting him to "be there" after sitting on the bench for three years and making two starts is unreasonable and woefully optimistic. All I'm looking for is Rodgers to stay healthy, win enough games to make the playoffs, and get better over time. If we're 3-1 after four weeks, we're on track.

Pacopete4
09-21-2008, 11:42 PM

I say we win the division. The teams in our division play pretty much the same schedule, so it's not like we play a much more difficult schedule.

Agree, even though the Vikings skip out on Dallas I believe and play the Giants

Partial
09-21-2008, 11:43 PM

To be honest, expecting him to "be there" after sitting on the bench for three years and making two starts is unreasonable and woefully optimistic. All I'm looking for is Rodgers to stay healthy, win enough games to make the playoffs, and get better over time. If we're 3-1 after four weeks, we're on track.

And there in lies the difference why so many of us were upset at this summer's activities.

Our offense is more vanilla this year, and while our quarterbacks numbers are solid and reflect good decision making, we're not getting playmaker type play from their.

Pacopete4
09-21-2008, 11:47 PM

And there in lies the difference why so many of us were upset at this summer's activities.

Our offense is more vanilla this year, and while our quarterbacks numbers are solid and reflect good decision making, we're not getting playmaker type play from their. :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup:

HarveyWallbangers
09-21-2008, 11:52 PM

Our offense is more vanilla this year, and while our quarterbacks numbers are solid and reflect good decision making, we're not getting playmaker type play from their.

Rodgers was good the first two weeks. Not a playmaker? Did you not see the two bombs to Jennings, the bomb to Driver that was called back, the scramble and TD throw to Jones? We lost to the team that very well be the best team in football. We also don't match up well with that team.

Honestly, I'm not sure we are even 2-1 with Favre at QB. One interception against either Minnesota or Detroit might have lost us the game, and he likely would have thrown one. Favre has only gone three games in a row without an interception 4 times since 1995. He's never gone four games in a row without an interception. I'll take 7 TDs to 1 turnover in his first 3 games--two of the three games against really good defenses.

texaspackerbacker
09-21-2008, 11:52 PM
It's ridiculous to whine about Rodgers not being a playmaker just because he doesn't stupidly force it into coverage and throw interceptions.

Favre would have been run ragged and not even been in position to make the decisions that Rodgers did. Rodgers has made big plays against other teams and will continue to do so--against anything short of the tough smart defense we saw tonight.

We've GOT our playmaker QB; We've also got playmaker receivers and RB. They just didn't make the plays tonight due to smart tough defense.

PackerTimer
09-21-2008, 11:55 PM

Maybe I'm crazy here, but he made quite a few plays against the Vikings and Lions. I wouldn't say we're not making any plays from that position. It was one game and while it wasn't a good game it wasn't terrible either. It was average, he'll probably have a few more of those this year and so will Brett Favre. Favre may have one the game tonight, but I don't think so, the rest of the team played too poorly. This loss isn't on one player, the Cowboys were just the better team and they'd be the better team if we had Favre.

Pacopete4
09-21-2008, 11:56 PM
It's ridiculous to whine about Rodgers not being a playmaker just because he doesn't stupidly force it into coverage and throw interceptions.

Favre would have been run ragged and not even been in position to make the decisions that Rodgers did. Rodgers has made big plays against other teams and will continue to do so--against anything short of the tough smart defense we saw tonight.

We've GOT our playmaker QB; We've also got playmaker receivers and RB. They just didn't make the plays tonight due to smart tough defense.

why does he get different treatment than other QB's? He didn't perform tonight and he'll tell ya that himself... he WAS NOT a playmaker. We needed him to be tonight to win this game and he fell short.. plain and simple. Does that mean he will every game this season? Nope, well I sure hope not. But he really didn't show any fight to win this game..

Hell he ran 8 mins off the clock just to get one TD late in the game... why not take a chance to win the game? Probably cuz he was a timid and afraid to make a mistake.. u cannot be that was a QB in the NFL

PackerTimer
09-22-2008, 12:00 AM

why does he get different treatment than other QB's? He didn't perform tonight and he'll tell ya that himself... he WAS NOT a playmaker. We needed him to be tonight to win this game and he fell short.. plain and simple. Does that mean he will every game this season? Nope, well I sure hope not. But he really didn't show any fight to win this game..

Hell he ran 8 mins off the clock just to get one TD late in the game... why not take a chance to win the game? Probably cuz he was a timid and afraid to make a mistake.. u cannot be that was a QB in the NFL

No he didn't. That drive took 3:23 seconds.

HarveyWallbangers
09-22-2008, 12:01 AM
Just a reminder: Favre went 5 for 14 for 56 yards with 0 TDs and 2 interceptions against Dallas last year. Both interceptions led to short TD drives for the Cowboys--which put Green Bay in a 27-10 hole by the time Rodgers came in. The one TD the Packers got was on a long, long TD run by Grant. That's not a rip on Favre, but pointing out that even Favre had bad games--especially against defenses like Dallas.

This will never be completely proven, but I don't think we would have gotten the same play out of Brett as last year. I don't think you half-ass it in the NFL, don't work hard all offseason, and just pick up right where you left off. Especially when you are 39 years old. I guess we'll see how Brett does with the Jets. I don't want to hear about the players around him--because he has two good WRs, a couple of talented pass catching TEs, Thomas Jones, and what should be a good OL.

mission
09-22-2008, 12:02 AM

3rd and 5... 50 yards+ to driver... what was that? he really didnt have time to get anything downfield. that's not some nifty thing that announcers talk about, it's really important. throwing something up just to throw it up is a lot different than say, romo, going deep on williams with late safety help... a lot different. if you can step into the ball and make a decent pass and see what's going on downfield then great.

but half the time he was getting chased out of the pocket. im actually REALLY surprised he didnt turn the ball over tonight. a few times.

Pacopete4
09-22-2008, 12:03 AM

No he didn't. That drive took 3:23 seconds.

sorry I was being dramatic.. he took 3:23, down 18 with only 5:34 left in the game.... much better!

Lurker64
09-22-2008, 12:04 AM
Just because a player does not make plays in one game does not mean that that player is not a playmaker. Last year, Favre was a playmaker. Favre did not make plays against Philadelphia, Washington, Dallas, or at Chicago. That doesn't mean Favre was not a playmaker.

Also, to be honest, I recall Rodgers making a few plays (the jump pass anybody?), we lost this game more because not enough guys in green made plays, not because a specific guy in green didn't make enough of them.

TravisWilliams23
09-22-2008, 12:05 AM
Just because a player does not make plays in one game does not mean that that player is not a playmaker. Last year, Favre was a playmaker. Favre did not make plays against Philadelphia, Washington, Dallas, or at Chicago. That doesn't man Favre was not a playmaker.

Also, to be honest, I recall Rodgers making a few plays (the jump pass anybody?), we lost this game more because not enough guys in green made plays, not because a specific guy in green didn't make enough of them.

:bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap:

PackerTimer
09-22-2008, 12:06 AM
Ok you were being dramatic. You're still wrong. It's damn near impossible to take a shot in that situation. You don't get shots down field when you're losing by 18 becuase the defense is taking it away.

Pacopete4
09-22-2008, 12:08 AM
Ok you were being dramatic. You're still wrong. It's damn near impossible to take a shot in that situation. You don't get shots down field when you're losing by 18 becuase the defense is taking it away.

The only way to get back in that game is to take a shot with someone and hope u hit it... if not, INT... game over and u lose but at least u did all u can to win.. dinkin and dunkin wastin the clock away doesn't even give u a chance
thats one thing I will miss with Favre is that he didn't care about his stats, he wanted to win.... i hope this isn't the case about Arod

PackerTimer
09-22-2008, 12:09 AM
Just because a player does not make plays in one game does not mean that that player is not a playmaker. Last year, Favre was a playmaker. Favre did not make plays against Philadelphia, Washington, Dallas, or at Chicago. That doesn't man Favre was not a playmaker.

Also the deep ball to Driver and the perfect slant to Jones that was dropped. That would have given them a first and goal early.

mission
09-22-2008, 12:10 AM
The only reason we lost tonight is cuz A-Rod cares so much about his stats...

Harlan Huckleby
09-22-2008, 12:10 AM
history shows Favre would have forced the ball and gotten at least two interceptions in a game like tonight.

PackerTimer
09-22-2008, 12:12 AM

The only way to get back in that game is to take a shot with someone and hope u hit it... if not, INT... game over and u lose but at least u did all u can to win.. dinkin and dunkin wastin the clock away doesn't even give u a chance
thats one thing I will miss with Favre is that he didn't care about his stats, he wanted to win.... i hope this isn't the case about Arod

You won't get a deep pass in that situation. The receivers don't even run deep routes. Everything is short. Favre woudl have played it the same way. He might have taken a shot but he wouldn't have completed it. That's essentially exactly how Favre and any other QB woudl have been forced to play it.

Pacopete4
09-22-2008, 12:13 AM

you know thats not what I was sayin... I'm talkin end of the ball game, down 18 with under 6 to play and we're still throwing 6-8 yard passes? Thats stupid IMO.... take a chance, get lucky or not, but at least ur tryin to win the game

Pacopete4
09-22-2008, 12:14 AM

You won't get a deep pass in that situation. The receivers don't even run deep routes. Everything is short. Favre woudl have played it the same way. He might have taken a shot but he wouldn't have completed it. That's essentially exactly how Favre and any other QB woudl have been forced to play it.

BS! you can always spread it out and have 4 go routes and hope u hit something... do not tell me u dont have the routes to get it done.. we just didnt try

texaspackerbacker
09-22-2008, 12:14 AM
In fairness to Jones, the pass was low and away--because that's where it had to be to get past the coverage. It would have been a great catch if he made it--not a bad miss.

I hope he's not hurt again, as I didn't see him after that, and I doubt they'd take him out for that miss.

mission
09-22-2008, 12:17 AM

you know thats not what I was sayin... I'm talkin end of the ball game, down 18 with under 6 to play and we're still throwing 6-8 yard passes? Thats stupid IMO.... take a chance, get lucky or not, but at least ur tryin to win the game

im fuckin around.. that wasnt on a-rod... they were playing that cover-4 prevent/umbrella whatever you wanna call it... 4 deep covering 1/4 field, 2 under covering hook to curl, one LB either stunting or takin hook to curl zone under... it's a pretty standard prevent and impossible to get anyone deep without 2-3 men at the ball.. hence why a hail marry pass always has so many people around it.

throwing a ball like that, on that drive, is essentially what that would be .. a hail marry.

we STILL would have had to recover an onside kick,.. the drive took 3:43.. lets say it takes 2:00 .. still need to onside ... we were close on getting that

the whole point is that, really, they are just a better football team than us... especially with half of our starting secondary out and them having newman back.. essentially giving them 3 starting caliber CBs if you wanna call jenkins one

Harlan Huckleby
09-22-2008, 12:19 AM
In fairness to Jones, the pass was low and away--because that's where it had to be to get past the coverage. It would have been a great catch if he made it--not a bad miss.

I hope he's not hurt again, as I didn't see him after that, and I doubt they'd take him out for that miss.

I see it differently, he got both hands on the ball, it didn't require a great catch.

Jones has shown time and again that he is not a good reciever, poor hands and body control. Its not just the two drops tonight.

looks like tarzan, plays like jane.

HarveyWallbangers
09-22-2008, 12:21 AM
this one game will not tell us the whole story on this guy nor will it tell us if we made the right move or not.

people on here are taking the one game overboard... its gonna take about 2-3 seasons to even figure out if the right choice was made

it was one game Mission.. take it easy and let the season play out before you make your judgment

HarveyWallbangers
09-22-2008, 12:24 AM
I see it differently, he got both hands on the ball, it didn't require a great catch.

I'm down on a Jones. He was said to have fumblitis and the dropsies in camp, and he's had his hands on at least 4 catchable balls that he's drop the last two weeks. To me, with his TE speed, if he's not catching pretty much every catchable thrown to him, he's not all that useful. To be fair, I was a bit down on him even last year. I think he can be a good 3rd or 4th WR, but I don't see him as a guy who will be a good starting WR in the NFL. I could be wrong though. Hopefully.

PackerTimer
09-22-2008, 12:24 AM
Ok I went back a few years and looked for a game where the Packers were down by two or three scores when Favre was under center. The first one I found was against Seattle two years ago. The drives are fairly similar. For the most part a lot of short passes with one or two deep balls (mostly incomplete). This isn't a rip on Favre, you just can't go deep against that type of coverage. It's pointless.

1st and 10 at GB 12 (2:31) (Shotgun) B.Favre pass short right to A.Green pushed ob at GB 14 for 2 yards (K.Herndon).

2nd and 8 at GB 14 (2:25) (Shotgun) B.Favre pass short right to A.Green to GB 20 for 6 yards (M.Boulware, C.Darby).

3rd and 2 at GB 20 (2:06) (No Huddle) B.Favre pass short left to A.Green to GB 27 for 7 yards (J.Peterson).

Two-Minute Warning
1st and 10 at GB 27 (2:00) (Shotgun) B.Favre pass short middle to B.Franks to GB 36 for 9 yards (J.Peterson, L.Tatupu).

2nd and 1 at GB 36 (1:41) (No Huddle) B.Favre pass short right to G.Jennings to GB 44 for 8 yards (K.Hamlin, K.Jennings).

1st and 10 at GB 44 (1:14) (No Huddle, Shotgun) B.Favre pass short left to N.Herron pushed ob at GB 44 for no gain (M.Trufant).

2nd and 10 at GB 44 (1:10) (Shotgun) B.Favre pass incomplete short right to G.Jennings (J.Peterson).

3rd and 10 at GB 44 (1:05) (Shotgun) B.Favre pass short middle to N.Herron to SEA 46 for 10 yards (M.Boulware, L.Tatupu).

1st and 10 at SEA 46 (:52) (No Huddle, Shotgun) PENALTY on GB-B.Franks, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at SEA 46 - No Play. 10 second runoff.

1st and 15 at GB 49 (:25) B.Favre pass incomplete deep right to B.Franks.
2nd and 15 at GB 49 (:25) (Shotgun) B.Favre pass deep right to D.Driver to SEA 27 for 24 yards (K.Hamlin, J.Peterson).

PENALTY on GB, Illegal Shift, 5 yards, enforced at GB 49 - No Play.
2nd and 20 at GB 44 (:16) (Shotgun) B.Favre pass short middle to N.Herron to SEA 45 for 11 yards (G.Wistrom, J.Peterson).

3rd and 9 at SEA 45 (:01) (No Huddle) B.Favre sacked at 50 for -5 yards (D.Tapp). FUMBLES (D.Tapp), RECOVERED by SEA-C.Terrill at SEA 46. C.Terrill to GB 49 for 5 yards. C.Terrill pass incomplete.

And now the one from tonight.

1st and 10 at GB 13 (5:34) (Shotgun) A.Rodgers pass short left to G.Jennings to GB 19 for 6 yards (M.Jenkins).

2nd and 4 at GB 19 (5:12) (Shotgun) A.Rodgers pass short right to J.Nelson to GB 33 for 14 yards (K.Burnett, K.Hamlin).

1st and 10 at GB 33 (4:47) (Shotgun) A.Rodgers pass short right to J.Nelson to GB 40 for 7 yards (A.Jones).

2nd and 3 at GB 40 (4:26) (Shotgun) A.Rodgers pass short middle to D.Driver to DAL 48 for 12 yards (A.Henry).
1st and 10 at DAL 48 (4:03) (Shotgun) A.Rodgers pass short left to G.Jennings pushed ob at DAL 28 for 20 yards (K.Hamlin).
1st and 10 at DAL 28 (3:56) (Shotgun) A.Rodgers pass short left to B.Jackson to DAL 7 for 21 yards (M.Jenkins).

PENALTY on GB-D.Colledge, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at DAL 28 - No Play.

1st and 20 at DAL 38 (3:48) (Shotgun) A.Rodgers pass incomplete deep middle to J.Nelson.

2nd and 20 at DAL 38 (3:43) (Shotgun) A.Rodgers pass incomplete deep right to D.Driver.

PENALTY on DAL-J.Hatcher, Defensive Offside, 5 yards, enforced at DAL 38 - No Play.

2nd and 15 at DAL 33 (3:35) (Shotgun) A.Rodgers pass short left to D.Lee to DAL 23 for 10 yards (K.Hamlin, K.Burnett).

3rd and 5 at DAL 23 (3:09) (Shotgun) A.Rodgers pass short right to J.Nelson to DAL 15 for 8 yards (K.Hamlin; A.Jones).

1st and 10 at DAL 15 (2:46) (Shotgun) A.Rodgers pass incomplete short right to J.Nelson.

2nd and 10 at DAL 15 (2:42) (Shotgun) A.Rodgers pass short right to J.Nelson to DAL 2 for 13 yards (A.Henry; A.Jones).

1st and 2 at DAL 2 (2:19) (Shotgun) A.Rodgers pass incomplete short left [A.Henry].

PENALTY on DAL-K.Hamlin, Defensive Holding, 1 yard, enforced at DAL 2 - No Play.

1st and 1 at DAL 1 (2:14) A.Rodgers left guard for 1 yard, TOUCHDOWN.

mission
09-22-2008, 12:25 AM
i know for damn sure that aaron rodgers is our guy ...

im frustrated about how our team played as a whole. shit, a-rod kept it somewhat interesting at least.

i dunno if those quotes are directed at me or what...

there are just a few players that i kinda wanna strangle: rouse, t-williams, spitz or whoever our center is, jones, finley... anyone else?

crosby is great

mission
09-22-2008, 12:27 AM

I'm down on a Jones. He was said to have fumblitis and the dropsies in camp, and he's had his hands on at least 4 catchable balls that he's drop the last two weeks. To me, with his TE speed, if he's not catching pretty much every catchable thrown to him, he's not all that useful. To be fair, I was a bit down on him even last year. I think he can be a good 3rd or 4th WR, but I don't see him as a guy who will be a good starting WR in the NFL. I could be wrong though. Hopefully.

You wont be.

He's got TO hands without the rest of TO to make up for it

Partial
09-22-2008, 12:37 AM

Rodgers was good the first two weeks. Not a playmaker? Did you not see the two bombs to Jennings, the bomb to Driver that was called back, the scramble and TD throw to Jones? We lost to the team that very well be the best team in football. We also don't match up well with that team.

Honestly, I'm not sure we are even 2-1 with Favre at QB. One interception against either Minnesota or Detroit might have lost us the game, and he likely would have thrown one. Favre has only gone three games in a row without an interception 4 times since 1995. He's never gone four games in a row without an interception. I'll take 7 TDs to 1 turnover in his first 3 games--two of the three games against really good defenses.

Yet each week we have struggled for points. Week 1 we struggled against a 1-2, and very average looking Vikings team. Last week we did well against the worst team in the NFL. We also almost lost it because the offense was non-existent in the second half.

This week, we couldn't get a touchdown. Period.

You can make the interception argument all you want, but I don't believe it for a second. Sure, their may have been a pick, but I'm sure there would have been more points. Playmakers at least try to make something happen. I didn't sense the effort tonight at all.

gioreeko
09-22-2008, 12:40 AM
what pisses me off is that Dallas always seem to get away with holding on the offensive line. The most blatant example was the long touchdown pass that put them up 27-9. Jenkins was about to get Romo when he was pulled down by the front collar of his pads, right in front of Romo! How do you miss that call? Reminds me of 95 when Reggie White was held multiple times in that game.

BZnDallas
09-22-2008, 12:43 AM
what pisses me off is that Dallas always seem to get away with holding on the offensive line. The most blatant example was the long touchdown pass that put them up 27-9. Jenkins was about to get Romo when he was pulled down by the front collar of his pads, right in front of Romo! How do you miss that call? Reminds me of 95 when Reggie White was held multiple times in that game.

i was sooo pissed after that bullshit... witten held on the felix jones 60 yard scamper and colin cole was obviously held on the martellus bennett 40 yard reception... you can see his jersey being pulled from the side view!... i hate to blame refs for games but they were wearing more white than green this evening!!!

oregonpackfan
09-22-2008, 12:56 AM

I am very disappointed with the two dropped passes by Jones. Again, it marks the second week in a row where Jones has dropped at least two passes in a game.

McCarthy must be equally upset with Jones because it appeared that Jordy Nelson played in his spot for most of the game.

TravisWilliams23
09-22-2008, 01:01 AM
Having been able to watch the Lombardi Packers of the 60's, the thing I remember most about the quarterback play from Bart Starr was that he would just as soon take a sack rather than throw an interception in every instance.

I like what MM is doing to bring Arod along. Don't turn the ball over!
Stress that point early in his career and he won't have to be broken of a bad habit later. So far Arod has bought into this philosophy.

The Packers will have to win this year by winning the turnover battle, special teams play and defense. Tonight, the only A given out would go to Crosby. There seemed to be a flag on every kick return by the Pack. The defense couldn't get enough pressure on Romo most of the night and our offensive line allowed too much pressure for Arod to find the big play reception.

I can't wait for next weeks game with Tampa Bay to see what MM does to correct the mistakes from tonight's game.

Lurker64
09-22-2008, 01:21 AM
Really, unless you expected to go 16-0 this year there's really no reason to get too worked up about this loss. Sure, losing sucks and I really wanted to beat the Cowboys and a I figured this was as good a shot as we've had in recent memory. But I did expect the Packers to lose some games this year, and if you look at our schedule Dallas is pretty much the best team we play all year (at least until the playoffs.) We didn't really look bad in doing it either. There are things we need to work on, and Dallas was clearly better than Green Bay in September, but it's a long season and things do change.

If we win this division, we get another crack at Dallas next year, if we don't see them in the playoffs. We're still on pace to win the division, and looking at our first four games? I think a lot of people (before the season started) would have been happy to finish September at 3-1. Really, if you keep up that pace you finish 12-4 and that will win most divisions in football. So let's beat the Bucs and not get too worked up about the Cowboys.

Zool
09-22-2008, 01:35 AM
If Favre didnt come back, does this thread exist? If a rookie was drafted the same year that Favre retired and he was forced into starting, would he be playing as well?

Was Rodgers a world beater tonight? Was it his 3rd NFL start? Can we change the past? Are we going to just keep looking back and saying what if? Maybe we can look forward and say, for his 3rd fucking NFL start, he played pretty well against what is pretty much the consensus #1 team in the NFC. The team as a whole lost this game. More penalties at horrible times. More letdowns from the safety spot. Charlie Peprah getting on the field more than just for ST. Its a loss. Its going to happen. We weren't embarrassed off the field. Hell look what Dallas did to the Eagles D just 6 days ago.

Patler
09-22-2008, 01:42 AM
Why so down on Rodgers?

Took too much time (3:23) for the TD drive? It was an 87 yard drive, but they actually had to pick up 91 yards to do it. (10 yard penalty on Colledge, 5 yarder on Hatcher, 1 yard on Hamlin). They did it in 11 plays.

Rodgers didn't make plays? Have you forgotten the jump pass completion as he was about to get hit? The perfect deep pass to Driver? Getting the first down after having 2nd and 20? Throwing for 290 yards? Throwing 0 interceptions in spite of constant pressure and being sacked 5 times?

Some one mentioned sending 4 receivers on go routes. Pretty hard to do with only 3 receivers. Martin was inactive. Jones left the game. That left only Driver, Jennings and Nelson. The four receiver formations are a big part of what the Packers like to do. That was lost for them after Jones left the game. It was very bad at the end of the game, but affected the whole game.

Rodgers held the ball too long? - The Packers couldn't stop the rush with just their linemen. How often did Madden mention the Packers going with max-protection, leaving only 3 receivers out on patterns. At the same time the Cowboys were going with 5 and 6 DBs, meaning everyone was double covered. On one of the sacks, Madden mentioned that Lee was wide open, but Rodgers had no chance to get the ball away.

I thought Rodgers played quite well. He was getting tremendous pressure, but he didn't get rattled and didn't do anything stupid with the ball, for the most part. Most of his incompletions were good throws, in good spots, and just near misses. He had several drops.

3irty1
09-22-2008, 01:45 AM
As the youngest team in the league we can be playing our best football come the playoffs barring injuries and such. I'd rather beat them in the playoffs than in September.

Patler
09-22-2008, 01:46 AM
I am very disappointed with the two dropped passes by Jones. Again, it marks the second week in a row where Jones has dropped at least two passes in a game.

McCarthy must be equally upset with Jones because it appeared that Jordy Nelson played in his spot for most of the game.

Jones reinjured his knee, tried to go back in, but couldn't.

oregonpackfan
09-22-2008, 01:56 AM
what pisses me off is that Dallas always seem to get away with holding on the offensive line. The most blatant example was the long touchdown pass that put them up 27-9. Jenkins was about to get Romo when he was pulled down by the front collar of his pads, right in front of Romo! How do you miss that call?

I saw that holding of Jenkins as well and was howling about it before the ball left Romo's hands. The replay confirmed the holding but the refs missed it, IMO.

cpk1994
09-22-2008, 06:22 AM

:bs2: :bs2: :bs2: :bs2: :bs2: :bs2: :bs2: :bs2: :bs2: :bs2:

Bretsky
09-22-2008, 07:12 AM
Rodgers was just ok; not bad and not good. Sometimes he held the ball too long; in a key play he got rid of it too early. He was off and on. Let's not make this into a AROD thing or a AROD and BF thing. Our record would probably be the same either way. Dallas is just much more talented all around right now.

RashanGary
09-22-2008, 07:16 AM
The Cowboys have a better DL
The Cowboys have a better OL
The Cowboys are better

That's it.

Partial
09-22-2008, 07:17 AM
I really don't think Dallas is as talented. Sure, they're better offensively but they can be exposed defensively. We didn't make it happen. Remember, we did start with a lead despite an early turnover. We should have led big but we can't close the deal.

Bretsky
09-22-2008, 07:24 AM
I really don't think Dallas is as talented. Sure, they're better offensively but they can be exposed defensively. We didn't make it happen. Remember, we did start with a lead despite an early turnover. We should have led big but we can't close the deal.

I think if we'd go position to position Dallas is far more talented

The Eagles Offense looked much better against the Cowboys than ours did as well.

pbmax
09-22-2008, 07:28 AM
We ran pretty well against that better D line, without nearly the fearsome running game the Cowboys have. Grant is not yet heathly and did anyone expect Jackson to look that good in the 2nd half? Was it a product of the Cowboys playing pass exclusively? Perhaps.

But the differences between our O Line and their D Line are not as bad as the highlight package will make it seem. We had opportunities.

Our D line versus their O line is a bigger gap. But even there, until the last long pass play for a TD, it was tight. They found a pass rush in the second half. But the young WR solved the Cowboys inability to get deep on us and closed the deal.

BF4MVP
09-22-2008, 07:45 AM
Really, unless you expected to go 16-0 this year there's really no reason to get too worked up about this loss. Sure, losing sucks and I really wanted to beat the Cowboys and a I figured this was as good a shot as we've had in recent memory. But I did expect the Packers to lose some games this year, and if you look at our schedule Dallas is pretty much the best team we play all year (at least until the playoffs.) We didn't really look bad in doing it either. There are things we need to work on, and Dallas was clearly better than Green Bay in September, but it's a long season and things do change.

If we win this division, we get another crack at Dallas next year, if we don't see them in the playoffs. We're still on pace to win the division, and looking at our first four games? I think a lot of people (before the season started) would have been happy to finish September at 3-1. Really, if you keep up that pace you finish 12-4 and that will win most divisions in football. So let's beat the Bucs and not get too worked up about the Cowboys.
Great post 8-)

Tarlam!
09-22-2008, 07:57 AM
Great post 8-)

Yeah, what he said. Both of them.

Scott Campbell
09-22-2008, 08:15 AM

As opposed to the great play we got from last years' starter against Dallas?

KYPack
09-22-2008, 08:16 AM
We ran pretty well against that better D line, without nearly the fearsome running game the Cowboys have. Grant is not yet heathly and did anyone expect Jackson to look that good in the 2nd half? Was it a product of the Cowboys playing pass exclusively? Perhaps.

But the differences between our O Line and their D Line are not as bad as the highlight package will make it seem. We had opportunities.

Our D line versus their O line is a bigger gap. But even there, until the last long pass play for a TD, it was tight. They found a pass rush in the second half. But the young WR solved the Cowboys inability to get deep on us and closed the deal.

Dallas is very tight in both engine rooms. Their OL and DL are the envy of the league. They have some weaknesses and can be had, but you must have a perfect and maximum effort to get 'em. Their defense can be had. Dallas would kill to have our corners and our safeties when Bigby is healthy.

We will continue to get better and better, while Dallas is peaking. It's a long season, will Dallas wear down? Man I hope so. How many of you saw the parallels between this season and '95? Dallas is the bad guy and we are the scrappy young team that is on the rise. I hope it plays out like 95 - 96 did. The old guys peak and lose it, while our young boys keep growing and get it together .

Partial
09-22-2008, 08:20 AM

At least we didn't play scared and would take a shot down the field. Down by 18 with 5 minutes to go and we have a 3.5 minute drive loaded with slants into the middle of the field for 10 yards. Ridic.

SkinBasket
09-22-2008, 08:40 AM

At least we didn't play scared and would take a shot down the field. Down by 18 with 5 minutes to go and we have a 3.5 minute drive loaded with slants into the middle of the field for 10 yards. Ridic.

Go play some more Madden. Going deep there gets you a receiver with a broken head, an INT, or both. That's "ridic."

prsnfoto
09-22-2008, 08:42 AM

Pass the crack pipe PLEASE. Rodgers has played well but he holds the ball way to long Favre would not have been run ragged because the ball would have been gone much faster, that said he probably would have thrown a pick either way the Boy's are the better team. Honestly TPB you are probably a nice guy and I respect the fact you are the ultimate "homer" but that is not much of a leap away from the idiocy of Tank.

Partial
09-22-2008, 08:47 AM

Go play some more Madden. Going deep there gets you a receiver with a broken head, an INT, or both. That's "ridic."

Going deep to our receiver who is a league leader in receptions in the air over 50 yards? I don't comprehend. If you get an INT, fine, but at least they are playing to win. Taking 3.5 minutes and accepting defeat to pad stats is ridiculous. How on earth they thought they'd have a chance for two scores with a minute left after their epic 3.5 minute middle of the field drive is beyond me. Ever heard of a sideline or taking a deep shot to keep the defense honest? Give me a break.

prsnfoto
09-22-2008, 08:49 AM

Now that is silly talk after listening to MM last week he pointed out that both Favre and Rodgers looked good because of his system. Travaris Jackson would be a league MVP in this system the greatest system of all-time. :D

PackerTimer
09-22-2008, 08:58 AM
Rodgers was just ok; not bad and not good. Sometimes he held the ball too long; in a key play he got rid of it too early. He was off and on. Let's not make this into a AROD thing or a AROD and BF thing. Our record would probably be the same either way. Dallas is just much more talented all around right now.

Completely agree. Dallas is better than Green Bay with Rodger or with Favre.

PackerTimer
09-22-2008, 09:05 AM

Ok, I'll post it again, a drive in a game where Favre was at the helm and then tonights. Both are farily similar with a lot of short passes. The Favre game we were down 10 with a little over two minutes to go. Not many deep passes because they simply aren't there.

If you're thinking of the Broncos and Chargers game from last year please remember that those were very close games, in fact we might have been tied in both of them and really the toss to Jennings was a short slant that went for a big gain.

I'm not bashing Favre here like you guys are tryig to bash Rodgers. You just don't make those plays in these types of games.

1st and 10 at GB 12 (2:31) (Shotgun) B.Favre pass short right to A.Green pushed ob at GB 14 for 2 yards (K.Herndon).

2nd and 8 at GB 14 (2:25) (Shotgun) B.Favre pass short right to A.Green to GB 20 for 6 yards (M.Boulware, C.Darby).

3rd and 2 at GB 20 (2:06) (No Huddle) B.Favre pass short left to A.Green to GB 27 for 7 yards (J.Peterson).

Two-Minute Warning
1st and 10 at GB 27 (2:00) (Shotgun) B.Favre pass short middle to B.Franks to GB 36 for 9 yards (J.Peterson, L.Tatupu).

2nd and 1 at GB 36 (1:41) (No Huddle) B.Favre pass short right to G.Jennings to GB 44 for 8 yards (K.Hamlin, K.Jennings).

1st and 10 at GB 44 (1:14) (No Huddle, Shotgun) B.Favre pass short left to N.Herron pushed ob at GB 44 for no gain (M.Trufant).

2nd and 10 at GB 44 (1:10) (Shotgun) B.Favre pass incomplete short right to G.Jennings (J.Peterson).

3rd and 10 at GB 44 (1:05) (Shotgun) B.Favre pass short middle to N.Herron to SEA 46 for 10 yards (M.Boulware, L.Tatupu).

1st and 10 at SEA 46 (:52) (No Huddle, Shotgun) PENALTY on GB-B.Franks, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at SEA 46 - No Play. 10 second runoff.

2nd and 15 at GB 49 (:25) (Shotgun) B.Favre pass deep right to D.Driver to SEA 27 for 24 yards (K.Hamlin, J.Peterson).

2nd and 20 at GB 44 (:16) (Shotgun) B.Favre pass short middle to N.Herron to SEA 45 for 11 yards (G.Wistrom, J.Peterson).

3rd and 9 at SEA 45 (:01) (No Huddle) B.Favre sacked at 50 for -5 yards (D.Tapp). FUMBLES (D.Tapp), RECOVERED by SEA-C.Terrill at SEA 46. C.Terrill to GB 49 for 5 yards. C.Terrill pass incomplete.

1st and 10 at GB 13 (5:34) (Shotgun) A.Rodgers pass short left to G.Jennings to GB 19 for 6 yards (M.Jenkins).

2nd and 4 at GB 19 (5:12) (Shotgun) A.Rodgers pass short right to J.Nelson to GB 33 for 14 yards (K.Burnett, K.Hamlin).

1st and 10 at GB 33 (4:47) (Shotgun) A.Rodgers pass short right to J.Nelson to GB 40 for 7 yards (A.Jones).

2nd and 3 at GB 40 (4:26) (Shotgun) A.Rodgers pass short middle to D.Driver to DAL 48 for 12 yards (A.Henry).
1st and 10 at DAL 48 (4:03) (Shotgun) A.Rodgers pass short left to G.Jennings pushed ob at DAL 28 for 20 yards (K.Hamlin).
1st and 10 at DAL 28 (3:56) (Shotgun) A.Rodgers pass short left to B.Jackson to DAL 7 for 21 yards (M.Jenkins).

PENALTY on GB-D.Colledge, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at DAL 28 - No Play.

1st and 20 at DAL 38 (3:48) (Shotgun) A.Rodgers pass incomplete deep middle to J.Nelson.

2nd and 20 at DAL 38 (3:43) (Shotgun) A.Rodgers pass incomplete deep right to D.Driver.

PENALTY on DAL-J.Hatcher, Defensive Offside, 5 yards, enforced at DAL 38 - No Play.

2nd and 15 at DAL 33 (3:35) (Shotgun) A.Rodgers pass short left to D.Lee to DAL 23 for 10 yards (K.Hamlin, K.Burnett).

3rd and 5 at DAL 23 (3:09) (Shotgun) A.Rodgers pass short right to J.Nelson to DAL 15 for 8 yards (K.Hamlin; A.Jones).

1st and 10 at DAL 15 (2:46) (Shotgun) A.Rodgers pass incomplete short right to J.Nelson.

2nd and 10 at DAL 15 (2:42) (Shotgun) A.Rodgers pass short right to J.Nelson to DAL 2 for 13 yards (A.Henry; A.Jones).

1st and 2 at DAL 2 (2:19) (Shotgun) A.Rodgers pass incomplete short left [A.Henry].

PENALTY on DAL-K.Hamlin, Defensive Holding, 1 yard, enforced at DAL 2 - No Play.

BZnDallas
09-22-2008, 09:12 AM

:bclap: :bclap: :bclap:
couldn't have said it better myself... go pack go!

Partial
09-22-2008, 09:13 AM
10 is not a three score game. 18 is. There is the difference. Subtracting the last drive where instead of trying to win it MM decided to pad stats, Rodgers was 20-34, 250ish, 0 TD, 0 INT. An extremely ok night.

BZnDallas
09-22-2008, 09:22 AM

Ok, I'll post it again, a drive in a game where Favre was at the helm and then tonights. Both are farily similar with a lot of short passes. The Favre game we were down 10 with a little over two minutes to go. Not many deep passes because they simply aren't there.

If you're thinking of the Broncos and Chargers game from last year please remember that those were very close games, in fact we might have been tied in both of them and really the toss to Jennings was a short slant that went for a big gain.

I'm not bashing Favre here like you guys are tryig to bash Rodgers. You just don't make those plays in these types of games.

Two-Minute Warning

packertimer how dare you pollute this thread with facts... haven't you noticed this forum is based solely on shitty opinions!... ;) ... just play'n... good job on the research... haha

PackerTimer
09-22-2008, 09:24 AM
10 is not a three score game. 18 is. There is the difference. Subtracting the last drive where instead of trying to win it MM decided to pad stats, Rodgers was 20-34, 250ish, 0 TD, 0 INT. An extremely ok night.

An argument could be made that Favre's drive was actually worse. He needed a score and only one onside kick and couldn't even get one of those scores in a little over two minutes. They didn't even get into field goal range.

Rodgers did almost exactly what was needed (and exaclty what Favre would have done). They needed to score before the two minute warning without spending any timeouts, which they did. They then needed to recover the onside kick and score within a minute or so (either a field goal or a touchdown). Then they needed to recover another onside kick with a little over a minute left with a chance to get the tying score.

I'm sorry but anybody who thinks Favre could have (or would have even tried) to get all that back in one play is just not being realistic.

MOBB DEEP
09-22-2008, 09:46 AM

QFT

cowgirls are stacked and will win the sb relatively EASILY

MOBB DEEP
09-22-2008, 09:46 AM

QFT

cowgirls are stacked and will win the sb relatively EASILY

HarveyWallbangers
09-22-2008, 10:07 AM
Yet each week we have struggled for points. Week 1 we struggled against a 1-2, and very average looking Vikings team. Last week we did well against the worst team in the NFL.

We scored 17 offensive points against Minnesota. That doesn't sound great, but we missed a pretty easy FG. Want to blame that on Rodgers? We also got a long TD called back on a bad play by Moll. Rodgers should have put up 27 points on a tough Minnesota defense. A defense that gave up 18 points to Indy and 10 points to Carolina. Last week, we scored 34 points against Detroit. Until we faced Dallas, we hardly struggled to put up points.

SkinBasket
09-22-2008, 12:06 PM
Going deep to our receiver who is a league leader in receptions in the air over 50 yards? I don't comprehend. If you get an INT, fine, but at least they are playing to win. Taking 3.5 minutes and accepting defeat to pad stats is ridiculous. How on earth they thought they'd have a chance for two scores with a minute left after their epic 3.5 minute middle of the field drive is beyond me. Ever heard of a sideline or taking a deep shot to keep the defense honest? Give me a break.

We know you don't comprehend. How many of those 50+ yard receptions were against prevent defense with quality coverage and a deep safety waiting to take his fucking head off?

You don't keep a prevent defense "honest" you cornhole. There is no "honest" about it. They're going to give you short, and your only hope is that the WR breaks that into something long. The only thing you accomplish by "going deep" into triple coverage, one of whom is guaranteed to be a safety facing the play, is guaranteed failure, especially against a backfield as solid as Dallas.

Playing how they did gave them the best chance to win. Throwing an INT or getting Jennings chest smashed in wouldn't have improved those odds. Or maybe you think McCarthy was playing to lose just to get you into a huff.

ThunderDan
09-22-2008, 12:46 PM

Jesus you are a complete two faced liar. If Rodgers does what you wanted and threw an INT you would be screaming that he was young and immature and should have taken the dink and dunks the defense was giving him.

MJZiggy
09-22-2008, 06:20 PM

Why would we take a long shot down the field hail mary style when we're one of the best in the league (if not the best) at yards after the catch. Any one of those dink passes can break at any time, yet you want to dump all the marbles into overloaded coverage? We were short on receivers at the end of that game and they were playing 6 in the secondary in a prevent defense. Why would we do that?

cpk1994
09-22-2008, 06:28 PM

BS! you can always spread it out and have 4 go routes and hope u hit something... do not tell me u dont have the routes to get it done.. we just didnt tryThe Packers couldn't get it done the first 55 minutes with the Cowboys playing the pass normally. What makes you think they would all of a sudden get it done when the Cowboys wer dropping 8 deep?
Also, You are proving to be one hypocritcal piece of work because its funny how someone who was bitching and moaning about how people shouldn't be comparing Rodgers to Favre is doing that very same thing. Favre is gone! Get over it!

Partial
09-22-2008, 07:31 PM

Why would we take a long shot down the field hail mary style when we're one of the best in the league (if not the best) at yards after the catch. Any one of those dink passes can break at any time, yet you want to dump all the marbles into overloaded coverage? We were short on receivers at the end of that game and they were playing 6 in the secondary in a prevent defense. Why would we do that?

Break at any time? Against a prevent D? You're never going to take a short pass long in that situation. They're giving you the yards in the middle to eat up the block. Take a shot at the sideline, or deep down field. Gotta take a shot to win. I'm sick of playing to lose. MM needs to step his game up.

MJZiggy
09-22-2008, 08:02 PM
It's called a prevent D because they're PREVENTING THE LONG PLAY!!! They have that covered, but are leaving yards there for the taking. You take them and see how many you can get before the folks waiting for the hail mary pass get back upfield to make the tackle.

Rastak
09-22-2008, 08:04 PM
It's called a prevent D because they're PREVENTING THE LONG PLAY!!! They have that covered, but are leaving yards there for the taking. You take them and see how many you can get before the folks waiting for the hail mary pass get back upfield to make the tackle.

Per Tex they were leaving that wide open, trying only to stop short passes with GB way behind and the clock ticking... :lol:

Partial
09-22-2008, 08:37 PM
Yet each week we have struggled for points. Week 1 we struggled against a 1-2, and very average looking Vikings team. Last week we did well against the worst team in the NFL.

We scored 17 offensive points against Minnesota. That doesn't sound great, but we missed a pretty easy FG. Want to blame that on Rodgers? We also got a long TD called back on a bad play by Moll. Rodgers should have put up 27 points on a tough Minnesota defense. A defense that gave up 18 points to Indy and 10 points to Carolina. Last week, we scored 34 points against Detroit. Until we faced Dallas, we hardly struggled to put up points.

17 against Minne. Not a satisfactory amount. That is a huge step down from our explosive offense. Indy with all 5 OL starters out, an aging marvin harrison and an injured PManning. Hardly the same team.

We started out hot against Detroit and collapsed so bad offensively that we gave up a 24 point lead. One certainly blames the defense, but the offense isn't without blame either.

I'm not blaming Rodgers, he's played very well in two games and ok last night. I'm blaming MM who has suddenly taken all plays longer than 15 yards out of the playbook it seems. That 2nd half of play caling last night was his worse coaching performance yet in my opinion.

The Shadow
09-22-2008, 08:40 PM
Too often in years past, we got 'backbreakers' instead of 'playmaker'.
I am greatly enjoying Rodger's smarts. He's young, of course, and he is feeling his way through an incredibly difficult situation as he gains experience.
But I am NOT missing that horrible feeling that a dumb mistake is just around the corner.

texaspackerbacker
09-22-2008, 08:44 PM
Well, Favre just threw another interception.

Are we glad yet that we've got the guy we've got, and not the guy we used to have?

I've said all along, the Packers are better with Rodgers than they would have been with Favre.

Partial
09-22-2008, 08:58 PM

I realize this. You can still chuck up and a prayer and hope. Much better than not taking a chance.

Scott Campbell
09-22-2008, 10:29 PM
He's a playmaker alright. Though too often its for the other team.

Partial
09-22-2008, 10:33 PM
He's a playmaker alright. Though too often its for the other team.

Yep, he made plays for the other team all the way to a hall-of-fame career

HarveyWallbangers
09-22-2008, 10:34 PM
Ok I went back a few years and looked for a game where the Packers were down by two or three scores when Favre was under center. The first one I found was against Seattle two years ago. The drives are fairly similar. For the most part a lot of short passes with one or two deep balls (mostly incomplete). This isn't a rip on Favre, you just can't go deep against that type of coverage. It's pointless.

So, the Chargers are up 38-14 early in the 4th quarter, and Brett leads the Jets to a TD--on a 16 play drive. The latest example of what you are talking about.

RashanGary
09-22-2008, 10:44 PM
I think we made the right choice. Brett does not look like the same player. He's getting torn down with one handed sacks and tossng interceptions like crazy. He'da been killed by the Dallas Dline. Probably same as last year.

Scott Campbell
09-22-2008, 10:51 PM
I realize this. You can still chuck up and a prayer and hope. Much better than not taking a chance.

Great logic if you're buying lotto tickets, but no way to run a professional football team.

oregonpackfan
09-22-2008, 10:54 PM
Well, Favre just threw another interception.

Are we glad yet that we've got the guy we've got, and not the guy we used to have?

I've said all along, the Packers are better with Rodgers than they would have been with Favre.

It is a VERY rare occasion that I agree with Texas on anything, but I have to agree with his statement.

Though I will always be grateful for the many contributions and fond memories that Brett Favre brought to the Packers, Aaron Rodgers right now is the better quarterback for the Packers. He is much more mobile both on eluding the Dline and doing rollouts. He is capable to running QB sneaks.

He also does not force the ball into coverage like Favre. His arm right now is as strong as Favre's. Rodgers appears to pass with greater accuracy than Favre does. Overall, he has had a very solid first three starts in his pro career. I am confident he will only improve as the season progresses.

Merlin
09-22-2008, 11:02 PM
Face it, if you really want to sit there and call yourself a Packer Fan, then you need to STOP the Favre comparisons, STOP saying Favre would have done better or worse, and STOP protecting Rodgers like he is some kind of golden god. Otherwise all of your excuses for why Rodgers looked bad in the game do nothing but show your own insecurities about him by pushing the blame onto a player that doesn't even play for the Packers anymore and also for those who can't let go that Thompson let Favre go, IT IS A DONE DEAL, live in the now.

Rodgers did not play well, he did not throw the ball well, and he was lucky to not have at least 2 ints if not 3. The defense stunk in the second half and the play calling overall was really bad on the offensive side. I fully expect Rodgers to have a learning curve and the occasional bad game. WHat I don't fully expect is a bunch of whining cry babies either for or against Favre to us him as an excuse in either direction to make up for Rodgers poor play. You aren't doing Rodgers any justice by throwing in a player who isn't even on the Packers roster into the discussion, the focus needs to be on Rodgers and what he needs to learn from the game to improve.

Pugger
09-22-2008, 11:24 PM
The reason Aaron looked mediocre Sunday night was because he didn't have anyone to throw to and had pressure big time. Dallas' D line were in his face all night and he only had 3 guys running routes. Aaron hung onto the ball cuz he had no one to throw it to. What should he have done, throw it up for grabs or intentional grounding like Romo did? NO QB is gonna play well in a collapsing pocket.

arcilite
09-22-2008, 11:25 PM
We played competitive football with maybe the best team in the NFL for a good 3 quarters. We can't win all the games.

Arcilite is not worried.

cpk1994
09-23-2008, 07:16 AM
Face it, if you really want to sit there and call yourself a Packer Fan, then you need to STOP the Favre comparisons, STOP saying Favre would have done better or worse, and STOP protecting Rodgers like he is some kind of golden god. Otherwise all of your excuses for why Rodgers looked bad in the game do nothing but show your own insecurities about him by pushing the blame onto a player that doesn't even play for the Packers anymore and also for those who can't let go that Thompson let Favre go, IT IS A DONE DEAL, live in the now.

Rodgers did not play well, he did not throw the ball well, and he was lucky to not have at least 2 ints if not 3. The defense stunk in the second half and the play calling overall was really bad on the offensive side. I fully expect Rodgers to have a learning curve and the occasional bad game. WHat I don't fully expect is a bunch of whining cry babies either for or against Favre to us him as an excuse in either direction to make up for Rodgers poor play. You aren't doing Rodgers any justice by throwing in a player who isn't even on the Packers roster into the discussion, the focus needs to be on Rodgers and what he needs to learn from the game to improve.Says the man who only shows up when ARod has an off night, but when ARod plays well he is nowhere to be found.

RashanGary
09-23-2008, 07:19 AM
Says the man who only shows up when ARod has an off night, but when ARod plays well he is nowhere to be found.

Haha. Yep.

RashanGary
09-23-2008, 07:22 AM
We played competitive football with maybe the best team in the NFL for a good 3 quarters. We can't win all the games.

Arcilite is not worried.

I think this is a great point. Rodgers kept us in the game, within a strikable distance against the best team in the NFL for 3 quarters. The Cowboys eventually outplayed us and the QB didn't have a great game. It's OK to aknowledge that, but lets not go cliff diving after Rodgers first less than stellar performance. This won't be the only loss of the season. This won't be the only time he plays a great DL and has trouble with our less than great OL. It happens. The other guys are paid too and we just played the best team in the NFL.

mraynrand
09-23-2008, 07:24 AM
After reviewing the tape of the Dallas game, I can now safely say that all is lost.