PDA

View Full Version : Rodgers against Dallas

LL2
09-22-2008, 06:36 AM
Granted he didn't produce the TD's I was hoping for, he didn't total lose the game. Most importantly he didn't throw any bone headed INT's as Favre usually did. Add 2 TD's to his stats and the Packers would've won and his stats would've looked really nice. Hopefully if they meet in the playoffs the he can produce more scores.

cpk1994
09-22-2008, 06:52 AM
You do realize what you just started?

While I agree with the content of your post, I think the comparisons to Favre have to stop. Id like to think we could focus on the Green Bay Packers and Aaron Rodgers without having to bring up a player who is no longer here. I, for one, am focused on the maturation process of Aaron and the fun of the ups and downs he will provide.

Partial
09-22-2008, 07:13 AM
and if I pooped out gold I'd be rich :lol:

He played ok, but I have to wonder if it was him not reading and reacting fast enough or dallas having lights out coverage. I tend to believe the former as I don't think much of Dallas' secondary.

Bretsky
09-22-2008, 07:16 AM
Granted he didn't produce the TD's I was hoping for, he didn't total lose the game. Most importantly he didn't throw any bone headed INT's as Favre usually did. Add 2 TD's to his stats and the Packers would've won and his stats would've looked really nice. Hopefully if they meet in the playoffs the he can produce more scores.

He doesn't seem to take the same chances......which probably equates to less big plays for GB and less boneheaded plays. I don't know why people need to start this stuff all over again.

I see no validity about adding 2TD's to his stats so I'm not sure why you are even trying to go there.

We'd have the same record with either QB.

BF4MVP
09-22-2008, 07:31 AM
Agreed. It's a long season, but right now, the Cowboys are just better.

3irty1
09-22-2008, 07:35 AM
and if I pooped out gold I'd be rich :lol:

He played ok, but I have to wonder if it was him not reading and reacting fast enough or dallas having lights out coverage. I tend to believe the former as I don't think much of Dallas' secondary.

I agree but the worse coverage last night was by FOX. We barely ever got to see what was going on down field. It did seem that Dallas had our guys blanketed when they caught it though. There was not a lot of YAC last night.

Tarlam!
09-22-2008, 07:38 AM
Rodgers against Dallas = 0-2.

Disputors, please take a number.

mraynrand
09-22-2008, 07:45 AM
There was not a lot of YAC last night.

? Jennings got most of his yards after the catch.

I'll have to get out the stop watch, but my impression was that the pass rush was more of a factor than coverage, Rodgers didn't seem to have an awful lot of time. Moll gets stood up and obliterated. That guy has no anchor. Clifton and Tauscher have both slipped a notch.

Tarlam!
09-22-2008, 07:54 AM
Clifton and Tauscher have both slipped a notch.

OK, I maybe jacking the thread and I really don't want to, but this comment has been lulling amongst the people "in the know". This one has me really not sleeping nights.

Tony Oday
09-22-2008, 08:32 AM
I think he played just fine. Our secondary let go some big plays and the run defense needs to play better.

We played a decent game and lost to a better squad last night.

Partial
09-22-2008, 08:50 AM
I think he played just fine. Our secondary let go some big plays and the run defense needs to play better.

They were on the field the entire second half because we couldn't get a first down. Blaming the defense is a huge cop out. I thought all things considered they played a million times better than the offense. Putting up 9 points is ridiculous, especially after another quality NFCE team showed how to the exploit them the week prior.

CaliforniaCheez
09-22-2008, 08:54 AM
Rodgers did as well as could be expected.

He has done well enough that even the media has stopped comparing him to Favre.

Remember this was only his 3rd start. He will be improving as he watches tape and learns what is and is not happening on the field.

Getting Wells healthy will help. Is Sitton the real deal? I hope so upon his return.

An improved line will make Rodgers better as will Grant getting healthy, if he can.

Tony Oday
09-22-2008, 09:08 AM

They were on the field the entire second half because we couldn't get a first down. Blaming the defense is a huge cop out. I thought all things considered they played a million times better than the offense. Putting up 9 points is ridiculous, especially after another quality NFCE team showed how to the exploit them the week prior.

WHOA, I agree Im just saying that there were two BIG plays that really put us behind the eight ball and no matter how long they are out there they still have to play. We got burned by a 3rd string WR and a back up running back.

I think of course that if we could actually have punched it into the end zone in the first half the game would have been different however the defense gave up WAY too much on first down runs.

lod01
09-22-2008, 09:44 AM
There were a few series late in the game when he needed to step up in the pocket and/or just get outta there and instead he curled up waiting for the sack. He seemed to overcome it only after Dallas went into the prevent D at the end with the game in hand. Hope that doesn't become a trend because that is what hacks like Schaub do when pressure comes.

Didn't see any of that in the 1st 2 games.

HarveyWallbangers
09-22-2008, 10:03 AM
I agree but the worse coverage last night was by FOX.

FOX didn't have the game last night. NBC did.

HarveyWallbangers
09-22-2008, 10:03 AM
Rodgers against Dallas = 0-2.

Disputors, please take a number.

You're going to give him blame for the loss last year? He came into the game when we were down 27-10.

HarveyWallbangers
09-22-2008, 10:05 AM

I think it's entirely plausible that we are 1-2 with Favre. Not the Favre that is playing for the Jets right now. I don't think we'd be 3-0 with Favre. We might be 2-1. Not starting a flame war, but that's honestly how I feel.

Patler
09-22-2008, 10:11 AM

Madden sort of suggested it was the latter. He often commented that no one was open; and frequently mentioned that the Packers only had 3 receivers out on a play while Dallas had 6 DBs in the game.

I think the real problems were that the Cowboys were getting very good pressure rushing just 4 or 5 guys, leaving 6 in coverage, they worried nothing about the Packer running game, and the Packers played the game with only 3 wide receivers after Jones was hurt. I really think Rodgers had no where to go with the ball. The few replays they showed seemed to confirm that.

Tony Oday
09-22-2008, 10:11 AM
I just love that Rodgers can get out of the pocket and I think he did help out the O line a little last night by moving around but we have to do better about giving him a pocket because man that kid can launch a ball!

Lurker64
09-22-2008, 10:37 AM
I think it's entirely plausible that we are 1-2 with Favre. Not the Favre that is playing for the Jets right now. I don't think we'd be 3-0 with Favre. We might be 2-1. Not starting a flame war, but that's honestly how I feel.

Agreed entirely.

MadtownPacker
09-22-2008, 10:57 AM
Add 2 TD's to his stats and the Packers would've won and his stats would've looked really nice.My vote for most ridiculous post this season.

3irty1
09-22-2008, 11:02 AM
I agree but the worse coverage last night was by FOX.

FOX didn't have the game last night. NBC did.

Oh yes sorry.

Now that I think about it NBC is probably giving crappy shots of the field on purpose so I'll do that thing on their website with all the extra cameras.

bobblehead
09-22-2008, 11:56 AM
Agreed. It's a long season, but right now, the Cowboys are just better.

QFT...that is really all there is to say.

bobblehead
09-22-2008, 12:01 PM
Add 2 TD's to his stats and the Packers would've won and his stats would've looked really nice.My vote for most ridiculous post this season.

Add 5 TD's and we win this fricking game going away.

Harlan Huckleby
09-22-2008, 12:02 PM
I think the real problems were that the Cowboys were getting very good pressure rushing just 4 or 5 guys, leaving 6 in coverage, they worried nothing about the Packer running game, and the Packers played the game with only 3 wide receivers after Jones was hurt. I really think Rodgers had no where to go with the ball. The few replays they showed seemed to confirm that.

I think this is right. It was a combination of factors. The recievers weren't getting separation. Rodgers was throwing a little sooner than he wanted to. Balls were sailing a little high or wide, off of finger tips, the timing was off.

Bretsky
09-22-2008, 06:39 PM

completely disagree

I was talking to a buddy that felt if we had BF last night we'd still have lost but we would have scored more points. He argued we'd have taken more chances and we'd probably have given up a pick but thrown two TD's. It's all risk reward.

I don't remember too many games Favre gave away last year when we were the superior team. He's played quite well versus MN the past few years.

packerbacker1234
09-22-2008, 06:42 PM

Favre aside, because it's going to be a never ending debate all season as long as both play well...

Your putting some blinders on, as are most, to last night. Rodgers did not play well. Not in the least bit. Sure, he completed over 50% of his passes. Yeah, he had 290 yards. Guess what, he put a grand total of zero points on the board. (qb sneak late doesn't count when they aren't even trying anymore up three scores with two minutes to go. Besides, that drive was again set up by a defensive turnover)

So, a QB fails to get into the endzone. Fails really to drive the field (save what, one drive) and suddenly he played a really great game, and just didn't have the points to show for it? Lets see.

On third down, he misfired 6 times. On any pass to the right side (save the driver play wide open) that was over 10 yards, he threw it 5-8 yards over everyone's head. In fact, all his completions were dump off style plays that netted very little. Take away the deep play to driver, and suddenly his stats start to look horrid. Add in that a third of his passing yards and a 4th of his completions came on his 2nd to last time with the football down three scores with 3 minutes to go with dallas playing 10 yards off the wr's and Rodger's just doing 5 yard dump offs all the way down the field... you start to get a good picture.

Yes, he didn't make any "boneheaded' throws (although, if you watch again, he did throw two balls that nailed dallas defenders right in the hands and they dropped them), however he also didn't make any significant plays to help us win.

In fact, with all the throwing we were doing - one could blame Rodger's for the defense being on the field the entire second half.

I am not saying Favre wins us the game either, as he has always sucked verse dallas, but I am saying that Rodger's did not play well last night, and is 0-2 in late game situations with a chance to take the lead or tie (late game situations involving anything in the 4th quarter). In this case, Anything with 9 minutes or less to go in the game.

Oh, and for those wishing to use this game, and last year's dallas game, as proof he is a better option then Favre - Guess what, Rodgers hasn't beaten dallas yet. 0 -2 with the game on the line against them. Sorry, but we lost last night,a nd Rodgers was a big reason our offense weas stagnent. I don't care if you want to blame the line - he had time in the pocket (over three seconds per pass attempt) and didn't find/throw the ball to anyone.