View Full Version : Jason Wilde 6/22/06 : Packers Harris threatens camp holdout

motife
06-22-2006, 05:42 AM
http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/index.php?ntid=88559&ntpid=2

THU., JUN 22, 2006 - 12:26 AM
Packers: Harris threatens camp holdout
JASON WILDE 608-252-6176
jwilde@madison.com
GREEN BAY - So much for Green Bay Packers veteran cornerback Al Harris not following the Mike McKenzie-Javon Walker unhappy-with-my-contract playbook.

After skipping all of the team's voluntary offseason workouts - the late-May minicamp and all 14 of the club's organized team activity practices - Harris said Wednesday he won't report to training camp July 28 and, if the Packers don't rework his contract, he doesn't want to play for the team again.

"Under the current deal now, I can't see myself playing there. I feel real strong about this thing," Harris said when reached on his cell phone while his teammates went through Wednesday's final OTA practice. "I'm going to do what I need to do.

"Either we make it happen in Green Bay, or we make it happen elsewhere. I know there's teams out there that would pay me what I'm asking for. I'd love to be with the Packers, though. It's not like I'm trying to kill 'em."

In September 2004, Harris signed a $18.635 million extension, which added five years onto his existing deal and contained $7 million in bonuses. Thus, Harris is under contract through 2009 and is scheduled to earn base salaries of $1.5 million this season, $2.2 million in '07, $2.85 million in '08 and $3 million in '09.

Asked if, with four years remaining on his contract, he's negotiating from a position of strength, Harris replied, "Not really. But I think I've got a strong case from (the standpoint of) how I've played and what I'm asking for. I'm pretty sensitive to the general manager (Ted Thompson). He doesn't want everybody coming up there after they just signed a deal. I understand. But I'm not even asking for any money this year."

Instead, what Harris wants is a pair of roster bonuses - the first payable next March and the second payable in March 2008 - worth $4 to $5 million and incentive bonuses worth $1.25 to $1.5 million if he makes the Pro Bowl.

Harris, who hasn't missed a start since coming to Green Bay in March 2003 in a trade with Philadelphia, has intercepted eight passes (three of which he returned for touchdowns) for the Packers and was chosen as an NFC alternate for the Pro Bowl last year. Pro Football Weekly recently rated him the No. 12 cornerback in the NFL.

New coach Mike McCarthy, whose only interaction with Harris was at the mandatory three-day post-draft minicamp in early May, said: "All the conversations I've been a part of as far as Al Harris, I've been told over and over again he's nothing but a true professional. He's always come in in shape, extremely hard worker, and I don't think that's going to change."

Earlier this month, Harris' agent, Jack Bechta, said his client planned on taking part in all of the team's mandatory practices, meaning Harris wouldn't miss training camp. Bechta told The Associated Press Wednesday Harris will report for the start of training camp.

"Oh, yeah. That is not an issue," Bechta said. "We'll be in training camp."

Bechta said he spoke with Harris earlier Wednesday and had assurances from his client he wouldn't be staying home in five weeks.

Even though Harris' stance has obviously changed, Thompson refused to comment on the reversal.

"I never talk about things like that. We don't ever talk about any discussions we have with our players along those lines," said Thompson, adding he hasn't spoken to Harris recently and doesn't expect to talk to him before camp opens. "It doesn't make sense for me to go tit for tat and say, 'Oh yeah? He said that, well, I say this.' So I'm not going to."

Still, Harris sounded Wednesday like a man whose mind is made up.

"I'm not a selfish dude. It's the principle with me. If Ted goes out and gets a free agent, he's going to spend a lot more than what I'm asking for," Harris said. "The economics don't make a lot of sense to me. Because no doubt, I personally think I've outplayed my contract -and if not outplayed the whole deal, I think it's time for a little boost."

Fritz
06-22-2006, 05:56 AM
Whether he's right, wrong, or in between, I don't know and right now I don't care. I'm just sooooo sick of guys wanting to re-negotiate contracts. It seems like a disease that's spreading around the NFL. Cripes, the way this is going, every football forum will have to feature labor lawyers to explain contract law. Damn, that's depressing.

I hear ol' Jason Spitz is looking good over at right guard. Wonder what happened to "Orange" Junius Coston?

Harlan Huckleby
06-22-2006, 12:31 PM
Figuring out what players are worth is so damn complicated.

If you accept that he is the 12th best CB in the league, what are the guys around him making? And how old are they?

I just don't know. Harris got a $7M signing bonus, he's not grossly underpaid like Driver was, that much is for sure. Like Driver, Harris probably has two years left after this one.

I'm not against what Harris is doing as a matter of principle. I just guess he overestimates his value. I doubt very much Thompson will give him more money. Perhaps Harris can sit out a year, then force a trade, but at his age, he will just lose money doing that, might even have to forfeit part of his signing bonus. Harris is screwed.

woodbuck27
06-22-2006, 12:44 PM
"Harris is screwed" HH

NOT - If he gets his act into TC , and plays as good as he believes he can and as well as TT expects him to.

Partial
06-22-2006, 12:46 PM
so his agent says he's not going to hold out, he says hes not either, now he is saying he is. What a women. :lol:

RashanGary
06-22-2006, 12:49 PM
Figuring out what players are worth is so damn complicated.

If you accept that he is the 12th best CB in the league, what are the guys around him making? And how old are they?

I just don't know. Harris got a $7M signing bonus, he's not grossly underpaid like Driver was, that much is for sure. Like Driver, Harris probably has two years left after this one.

I'm not against what Harris is doing as a matter of principle. I just guess he overestimates his value. I doubt very much Thompson will give him more money. Perhaps Harris can sit out a year, then force a trade, but at his age, he will just lose money doing that, might even have to forfeit part of his signing bonus. Harris is screwed.

I agree. I don't think Thompson is going to budge. They showed with Driver that the team isn't going to just rip you off and kick you to the curb but they are also not going to renegotiate these things every time a guy wants more money. There has to be a line somewhere.

I saw Harris on MTV's Cribs a while back, just after he got his signing bonus and lets just say it looked like he had most of it spent in a few months. Like with Grady Jackson, I think this boils down to desperation and a feeling that they deserve more than being broke. What they don't realize is the only reason they are broke is because of their own actions. Kampman played out his crappy deals and kept his mouth shut. He fixed up an old house and when UFA came, he got paid in a big way. The same would have happened for Harris but he wanted it up front. The way I look at it, he made his own bed and now he can sleep in it. I would have had a hard time even giving Driver the money but TT is more flexible than I am in this regard. The most telling comment I heard was Thompson saying he doesn't plan on speaking with Al. That is evidence of a pretty hard line stance. He said the same things with Walker.

Partial
06-22-2006, 12:57 PM
Judging from recent history, the next packer to get a raise will Ahmad Carroll

KYPack
06-22-2006, 01:00 PM
Whether he's right, wrong, or in between, I don't know and right now I don't care. I'm just sooooo sick of guys wanting to re-negotiate contracts. It seems like a disease that's spreading around the NFL. Cripes, the way this is going, every football forum will have to feature labor lawyers to explain contract law. Damn, that's depressing.

I hear ol' Jason Spitz is looking good over at right guard. Wonder what happened to "Orange" Junius Coston?

A. He looked a little shaky. They liked that he hung around and worked out, but he ain't "there" yet.

B. I think TT and M3 are going with the "New Kids" whenever possible.

Coston is the guy I never saw. I'd look for the guy, but never catch his play!

Joemailman
06-22-2006, 04:56 PM
Green Bay - If Al Harris doesn’t report for the start of the Green Bay Packers’ training camp next month, it would come as a major surprise to his agent.
Jack Bechta, who represents the Packers starting cornerback, said he spoke with Harris on Wednesday, the same day a published report quoted Harris as saying he might not report on time. Harris missed all 14 days of the Packers’ organized team activities that concluded on Wednesday because he thinks he deserves a contract extension.

“I talked to Al today and asked him, ‘Whatââ €šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s going on?’⠢‚¬Â Bechta said on Wednesday from his office in San Diego. “He just kind of laughed and said, ‘Call Andrew (Brandt) and call Ted (Thompson) and tell them, rest assured, I will not miss anything mandatory. I’ll be there. I’d love to have a new deal, but I’ll be there.’ ”

Is Al Harris having trouble making up his mind, or are he and his agent having trouble communicating? If Harris changes agents, (especially if it's Rosenhaus), look out.

falco
06-22-2006, 05:14 PM
you saw al harris on cribs and now you're an expert on his finances?

i don't think his holdout has anything to do with him being broke.

Partial
06-22-2006, 06:44 PM
I think his holdout is about wanting more bank. He's got plenty. He should chill.

Harlan Huckleby
06-22-2006, 06:53 PM
Sorry for repeating myself, but I see this whole Al Harris dust-up as the fault of one man: Jason Wilde.

If that fucker would have kept his fat face and poison pen out of places it didn't belong, Coach Mac wouldn't have had to curse him out, and Al wouldn't have gotten the idea to be a big jerk.

MJZiggy
06-22-2006, 07:07 PM
See? You've finally come around to the right way of thinking. :mrgreen:

Tony Oday
06-23-2006, 04:15 PM
So basically is it giving him more guranteed cash and some pro bowl bonuses? If its no more money except what he would earn by playing well I say rewrite the thing

Partial
06-23-2006, 04:40 PM
nah, he wants 4 mil more a year guaranteed. That is in addition to his current contract

Tony Oday
06-23-2006, 05:56 PM
hmm 4 million extra for free? I say tie that into tackle, int and pass defended and say you want it this way Harris? No well F off rasta boy.

havanother
06-26-2006, 02:28 PM
The boy is not worth 4 million more. He's got to show up for this season, put on his best behavior and prove that he's worth it for next year. This is starting to stink like the shit Walker put down last year. It's a good thing he didn't get paid anymore. Harris needs to put one more season of solid numbers....and what about the fucking CONTRACT!!!! putting a name on paper doesn't mean a thing in the NFL anymore. players always restructuring, asking for more, holding out. whining bitches. It works both ways with management releasing, and restructuring players. Sorry, I'm blowing off steam, but if you signed a bad contract fire your agent, don't hurt your team.

Noodle
06-26-2006, 03:56 PM
The problem with CONTRACT is, as I've said before, that the rules of the game keep changing on the players. The most important rule they face during negotiations is -- we (the team) can only pay you so much because of the cap. So the player eventually comes in at numbers that work with the cap. And since everyone else is dealing with the same cap, there aren't a lot of guys getting paid significantly more for the same level of performance.

So what happens when the cap goes up by by 20 million or so? Now that thumb on wages is gone, and a guy sees his peers, people with his ability, getting paid a lot more because teams can afford to do it.

Is it right to stick it to a guy who respected the team's need to stay under the cap? I say, heck no! Open up the wallet a little bit. Spread some of the love. It's only right.

Partial
06-26-2006, 04:00 PM
The problem with CONTRACT is, as I've said before, that the rules of the game keep changing on the players. The most important rule they face during negotiations is -- we (the team) can only pay you so much because of the cap. So the player eventually comes in at numbers that work with the cap. And since everyone else is dealing with the same cap, there aren't a lot of guys getting paid significantly more for the same level of performance.

So what happens when the cap goes up by by 20 million or so? Now that thumb on wages is gone, and a guy sees his peers, people with his ability, getting paid a lot more because teams can afford to do it.

Is it right to stick it to a guy who respected the team's need to stay under the cap? I say, heck no! Open up the wallet a little bit. Spread some of the love. It's only right.

If only it was that easy.

Harlan Huckleby
06-26-2006, 04:27 PM

Is it right to stick it to a guy who respected the team's need to stay under the cap? I say, heck no! Open up the wallet a little bit.

I agree with you. But really, the best solution is to limit contracts to three years. Then they don't get so out of whack.

But teams like the long contracts, and seem to think they win when they get guys like Harris, Driver, McKenzie at a long-term bargain. Agents want a cut of a bigger signing bonus. Players don't know what's going on. I hate the salary crap.

pbmax
06-26-2006, 04:37 PM
But teams like the long contracts, and seem to think they win when they get guys like Harris, Driver, McKenzie at a long-term bargain. Agents want a cut of a bigger signing bonus. Players don't know what's going on. I hate the salary crap.
Harlan, I don't think teams like long contracts more than agents do. Agents want huge gaudy number to leak to the media to help attract more clients. Teams don't care because they know how much cash they will be shelling out and vets know the difference (by now) between the published numbers and the likely to be paid numbers.

And I give players more credit because Harris is specifically asking for a certain kind of adjustment, one he is likely to earn shoudl he be able to convince the Packers. He isn't asking for an over the rainbow contract extension.

When teams were attempting to stretch out cap hit of signing bonuses, long term deals looked good, but became less important when teams got better at scheduling a high salary in the later years to mitigate the signing bonus acceleration.

And it is even less important to teams now that option bonuses have become all the rage. Beacuse the optional nature means they can't be accelerated unless they change the erms of the contract later.

PackerPro42
06-26-2006, 05:55 PM
If he wants to be a jerk let him. Maybe they'll do the same thing to him as they did to Walker. I could totally see Harris in a Broncos uniform.

Brandon494
06-27-2006, 09:01 AM
What a punk, why do we have to have a holdout every year? I'm really getting tired of it. :evil:

PackerPro42
06-27-2006, 10:47 AM
I do without so many dreadlocks on the team anyways. No offense but it looks like half our team is from Jamaica.