PDA

View Full Version : Favre talks about Packers at 2-0.

packers11
09-22-2008, 02:27 PM
In an ESPN interview with Ed Werder Favre was asked how he felt about the Packers starting 2-0 without him. Favre said "when they have 16 good years give me a call".

Patler
09-22-2008, 02:32 PM
I wish interviewers would leave him alone on that subject. I feel sorry for him a bit, having to answer the same things over and over. What is, is.

mraynrand
09-22-2008, 03:17 PM
Did they ask him if he was thinking about retiring? That's always an interesting topic - fresh and compelling.

Packers4Ever
09-22-2008, 03:38 PM
I wish interviewers would leave him alone on that subject. I feel sorry for him a bit, having to answer the same things over and over. What is, is.

But that's just it, Patler, he doesn't have to answer them.
Brett needs to learn to answer without really answering, He's had
some experience at various podiums and although he's not a polished speaker he's come through fine. (Lambeau podium, etc) Or - he can just lie
(?) by saying that topic was covered long ago - or - how about a grin and telling them it will be covered in the near future ?? (haha)

Too bad that trainer he had this past summer didn't give a combo deal - body strengthening and public speaking. :wink:

BF4MVP
09-22-2008, 03:51 PM
In an ESPN interview with Ed Werder Favre was asked how he felt about the Packers starting 2-0 without him. Favre said "when they have 16 good years give me a call".
Meh..That's a reach..There were quite a few good years in there..But there were some 9-7s, an 8-8 and a 4-12 in there too..9-7 is just decent, not good IMO, and 4-12 is terrible..

Pretty cocky answer though..How bout "They've played well..They're an extremely talented team, I never said they weren't." He's said all that before anyways, what's the difference?

bobblehead
09-22-2008, 03:52 PM
how about "I'm very happy for them, I still have a lot of friends on the team and I wish them nothing but the best. "

BF4MVP
09-22-2008, 03:55 PM
how about "I'm very happy for them, I still have a lot of friends on the team and I wish them nothing but the best. "
That would work too. 8-)

The answer he gave doesn't really sit well with me..Although in the grand scheme of things I could care less what Brett says these days. All that matters to me is that the Packers are winning games..And .667 is a pretty good winning percentage..

Pacopete4
09-22-2008, 05:11 PM
or he just keeps being who he is and answering questions truthfully... didn't bother anyone when he was here but now that he's wearing a different uni, he can't speak the truth...

Tarlam!
09-22-2008, 05:17 PM
... didn't bother anyone when he was here but now that he's wearing a different uni, he can't speak the truth...

Well that's just horseshit and baiting. On this forum, Favre was always held accountable for how he played and what he said.

We have a lot of homers here and I belong to that group. But saying we lack objectivity is just toad turd.

Pacopete4
09-22-2008, 05:20 PM
... didn't bother anyone when he was here but now that he's wearing a different uni, he can't speak the truth...

Well that's just horseshit and baiting. On this forum, Favre was always held accountable for how he played and what he said.

We have a lot of homers here and I belong to that group. But saying we lack objectivity is just toad turd.

I dont remember anyone bitching about Favre when he was here about talking to the media....

I remember him saying this is the most talented team and everyone thinking he was crazy... but then again he was right on that one..

cpk1994
09-22-2008, 05:26 PM

:bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap:

Tarlam!
09-22-2008, 05:31 PM
I dont remember anyone bitching about Favre when he was here about talking to the media....

I remember him saying this is the most talented team and everyone thinking he was crazy... but then again he was right on that one..

Then, my opinion is that you have a very selective memory. Favre wasn't just worshipped around this forum. Jeez. We had wars about Favre every time he opened his friggin' mouth!!

Favre was always a point of contention and always loved. He was a rascal. And hot damned, he could play ball!

packerbacker1234
09-22-2008, 05:59 PM

some experience at various podiums and although he's not a polished speaker he's come through fine. (Lambeau podium, etc) Or - he can just lie
(?) by saying that topic was covered long ago - or - how about a grin and telling them it will be covered in the near future ?? (haha)

Too bad that trainer he had this past summer didn't give a combo deal - body strengthening and public speaking. :wink:

Brett Favre is who he is, and he has never, nor will ever, hide it. He has always been honest, brutally so in many occasions. He makes sure if it involves his team, that he takes the blame as he always feels he can play better, but in terms of questions regarding, coach's, former coach's, teammates, former teammates, and retirement, Favre has always been honest, even when it was best for him to just shut up.

Just saying, he isn't going to change, and the media wont stop drilling him, especially being in the media capital of the US. Besides, is this comment really not expected? Obviously he is happy his former teammates, some of them good friends, are doing well, but the media is trying to blow it in his face as "ha, see, they can win without you". What else is he going to do but be honest. It's true, we haven't had 16 pretty darn good years in a row with AR at QB, and we may never reach that point again with any other QB ever.

Just saying, don't expect the comments to stop. They keep asking, he keeps answering. Nothing really wrong with it.

Patler
09-22-2008, 08:00 PM
or he just keeps being who he is and answering questions truthfully... didn't bother anyone when he was here but now that he's wearing a different uni, he can't speak the truth...

I think if you look back, I have said for years on here and JSO that Favre should quit answering questions about retirement. I criticized his annual statements of, "This might be the most talented team I have ever played on."
I said he should learn to say less and not ramble, its the rambling that gives the juiciest quotes.

I was not the only one either. Many others criticized him since well before he retired.

MOBB DEEP
09-22-2008, 08:43 PM

I think if you look back, I have said for years on here and JSO that Favre should quit answering questions about retirement. I criticized his annual statements of, "This might be the most talented team I have ever played on."
I said he should learn to say less and not ramble, its the rambling that gives the juiciest quotes.

I was not the only one either. Many others criticized him since well before he retired.

QFT

prsnfoto
09-23-2008, 10:33 AM
Last week he said Rodgers looked good and he wished the team the best of luck, What he said is nothing but honest it is two friggin games now we have learned that the team is a long way below the cream of the crop and I expect we will be a good team and Rodgers will be capable to get us to the playoffs with similar results to what we are use to. The Packers I believe have good personal top to bottom and hopefully we never see the 70's and 80's again but I doubt you all get the dynasty you are dreaming about either. I kinda find it funny the team has flip flopped in many ways The WR's are the best since Dickey was here but the Oline is terrible and you can torture me all you homers and I will not admit they are any better than the day TT took over they flat out suck, much like poor Dickey's. The D is good not great not bad just good and we have a retard for the secondary coach and a coordinator who is so afraid to take chances I bet he has never even tried a diffent brand of toilet paper. What does that mean? I think the team will be good for 8-10 years making the playoffs regularly maybe even a SB, but dynasty, naw ,I doubt it unless another Reggie or Brett comes along and the management does them better. But hey it sure beats being the Lions, Vikings and Bears don't it!

Pacopete4
09-23-2008, 10:54 AM
Last week he said Rodgers looked good and he wished the team the best of luck, What he said is nothing but honest it is two friggin games now we have learned that the team is a long way below the cream of the crop and I expect we will be a good team and Rodgers will be capable to get us to the playoffs with similar results to what we are use to. The Packers I believe have good personal top to bottom and hopefully we never see the 70's and 80's again but I doubt you all get the dynasty you are dreaming about either. I kinda find it funny the team has flip flopped in many ways The WR's are the best since Dickey was here but the Oline is terrible and you can torture me all you homers and I will not admit they are any better than the day TT took over they flat out suck, much like poor Dickey's. The D is good not great not bad just good and we have a retard for the secondary coach and a coordinator who is so afraid to take chances I bet he has never even tried a diffent brand of toilet paper. What does that mean? I think the team will be good for 8-10 years making the playoffs regularly maybe even a SB, but dynasty, naw ,I doubt it unless another Reggie or Brett comes along and the management does them better. But hey it sure beats being the Lions, Vikings and Bears don't it! couldn't agree more..

HarveyWallbangers
09-23-2008, 11:02 AM
couldn't agree more..

Of course, you do. Favre can do no wrong. I've said before that I like Favre's honesty, but I also realized ahwile ago that he's gone overboard at times. For him, I think the best thing to do is be generic with his response (e.g. "they are playing well, and I'm happy for them because the fans deserve a good team and I have a lot of friends on that team"). I think he comes across as bitter with his comments. I'm not saying he shouldn't be, but after all of these years, Brett hasn't learned when it's best to just bite your tongue.

mmmdk
09-23-2008, 11:15 AM

Brett Favre is who he is, and he has never, nor will ever, hide it. He has always been honest, brutally so in many occasions. He makes sure if it involves his team, that he takes the blame as he always feels he can play better, but in terms of questions regarding, coach's, former coach's, teammates, former teammates, and retirement, Favre has always been honest, even when it was best for him to just shut up.

Just saying, he isn't going to change, and the media wont stop drilling him, especially being in the media capital of the US. Besides, is this comment really not expected? Obviously he is happy his former teammates, some of them good friends, are doing well, but the media is trying to blow it in his face as "ha, see, they can win without you". What else is he going to do but be honest. It's true, we haven't had 16 pretty darn good years in a row with AR at QB, and we may never reach that point again with any other QB ever.

Just saying, don't expect the comments to stop. They keep asking, he keeps answering. Nothing really wrong with it.

Shooting from the hip is a misconception of honesty. Emotional remarks are most often further from a truth or from simply being honest; than from a rational remark. There ain't no fine line between 'honest Abe' and a 'blatant Brett'. Favre has been & can be better than this; he has a choice every freakin' time.

Patler
09-23-2008, 11:30 AM
I think the team will be good for 8-10 years making the playoffs regularly maybe even a SB, but dynasty, naw ,I doubt it unless another Reggie or Brett comes along and the management does them better. But hey it sure beats being the Lions, Vikings and Bears don't it!

So in other words, you are predicting the Packers will be the exactly the same for the next 8-10 years as they were for most of the 16 years with Favre, I can live with that.

mmmdk
09-23-2008, 11:31 AM
I think the team will be good for 8-10 years making the playoffs regularly maybe even a SB, but dynasty, naw ,I doubt it unless another Reggie or Brett comes along and the management does them better. But hey it sure beats being the Lions, Vikings and Bears don't it!

So in other words, you are predicting the Packers will be the exactly the same for the next 8-10 years as they were for most of the 16 years with Favre, I can live with that.

Me too :D :pack:

Merlin
09-23-2008, 12:05 PM
I think putting everything that Favre says under a microscope and going extreme in either direction is ridiculous. It is what it is, they guy can play football, just not for the Packers anymore so all of this baiting by either side it just childish.

I agree that this team is far from a dynasty and our OL does suck something awful. We do have probably the best set of WR's that the Packers have ever had in their history. Our defense "could" be better if we had some coaching there, but not much better because outside of LB and DL to a certain extent, we have zero depth. So much for "building for the future" and "defense first" which are both Ted Thompson's mantra's. The ground work for a good team is laid by hiring good coaches. McCarthy was a great hire by Thompson. McCarthy is an offensive mind and fairly good at it although he does have his moments like both Dallas games I think he called poor games as well as against Chicago last yer. Our DB coach is a joke and our defensive coordinator is lacking foresite, creativeness, and a general lack of adjusting in game to exposures on defense. I believe Rodgers will be a good QB and even the most skeptical fans like myself can see that he is now progressing well. I was not convinced in pre-season because he looked like a deer caught in the headlights. He did to a point against Dallas but looked more confident in doing int. I still do not agree with handing him the keys to the car without him ever passing a driving test. I think ultimately he would be better today if he had one shred of competition in his NFL career. That doesn't mean I don't support the guy, that doesn't mean I hate the guy, it means that in looking into for what was best for the Packers and ultimately Rodgers himself, I would have handled it differently. He was a gamble to take, one that I would not have made because of the track record of Tedford QB's. However he has had pretty good QB coaching in his career and it appears that he has dropped a lot of the Tedford tendencies. He also had the luxury of learning by watching Favre for three seasons and although Favre is not fundamentally sound, he has the best vision of any QB I can remember, plays with heart, and leaves it all out on the field. You can see those traits emerging in Rodgers. And He was not thrown into the fire too soon which outside of Brady Quinn, I can't remember a QB in recent history who was ready to take over an NFL team out of college.

As far as Brett Favre goes, I haven't missed a Jets game yet and will continue to watch him and root for him because to me how he plays the game is how it should be played and he is fun to watch. Drama aside, Favre would be just fine this season as the Packers QB, probably would have lost to Dallas as well, but by no means does this mean I am willing to take sides in the whole Favre debacle. Thompson is as equally to blame as Favre is and no matter how many times you rehash "Favre or Rodgers", you will never know if it was a good decision or not. As long as the Packers are winning it really doesn't matter who the QB is. If Rodgers blows up and turns out to be horrible this season, then people will say Favre would have done better, if Rodgers does well then they will say it's the right decision. The problem is that there is no tangible comparisons you can make. The Jets are not the Packers, the personnel, the coaching philosophy and the chemistry is all different, even the conferences and teams played are different.

I wish people would stick to the concerns of the Packers and enjoy the play of a former Packer great with another team, to me it's just more football to be interested in watching.

sharpe1027
09-23-2008, 12:30 PM
Our defense "could" be better if we had some coaching there, but not much better because outside of LB and DL to a certain extent, we have zero depth. So much for "building for the future" and "defense first" which are both Ted Thompson's mantra's.

You had some good analysis and I agreed with a lot of what you said; however, I am going to disagree on one point. I don't think you are being realistic in your expectations for depth. I doubt you could name very many, if any, teams that have solid depth at every single defensive position. Also, we've had a number of injuries that have forced our backups at safety and DB to play significant snaps. They were far from pro-bowl material, but quite frankly, they played better than some of the starters we've had in the past (think Carroll and Manuel). IMO, when your backups are improvements over you used to have as starters that is decent depth.

Bigby is a beast and has recently cut down on his mental mistakes. Collins looks to be making more plays on the ball. Rouse has potential and has looked decent absent some very bad angles. Peprah is what he is, a 3rd stringer. IMO, there are a lot of other teams that would like to have T. Williams is as their nickel back. Blackmon, in very limited time due to injury, has shown flashes and has been very good on returns.

Each of those players is young, yet you seem to say that the lack of depth in the secondary supports that they aren't building for the future or putting defense first. I disagree.

By the way, did Ted ever say that he was building for the future while putting defense first or did you put words in his mouth? I seem to remember him saying they were not in a rebuilding year/mode when he first got here.

prsnfoto
09-23-2008, 12:47 PM

That is exactly what I am saying, Favre and Reggie were special once a generation kinda guys and this franchise could only give them one title(had MH stuck around and stayed committed I think it would have been more) I don't see that happening with the personal and coaches we have now but Rodgers and Co. will be good and who knows every now and then chips fall in place it could happen and it is better than being the Lions.

Patler
09-23-2008, 01:38 PM
That is exactly what I am saying, Favre and Reggie were special once a generation kinda guys and this franchise could only give them one title(had MH stuck around and stayed committed I think it would have been more) I don't see that happening with the personal and coaches we have now but Rodgers and Co. will be good and who knows every now and then chips fall in place it could happen and it is better than being the Lions.

The franchise should "give" the players a title? How about these special players and a coach you seem to favor (Holmgren) going out and getting it themselves? The franchise had a solid four year window from 1995 through 1998. They managed to turn that into two Super Bowl trips and one victory. Perhaps they (the players and coaches) let the franchise down by not getting more out of those four years?

Thereafter, White was done and the team needed revitalization as players left. I will agree a better job at player acquisition could have been done. But, even so, more playoff trips occurred but with fast exits for various reasons, and the players had responsibilities for those early exits too, including Favre.

With the youth of this team, possibly a sold QB set for years to come, a young coach seemingly satisfied to stay in GB, I like to think the future is bright. There is no reason I can see that MM can't be as good as Holmgren. I'm not saying he is now, but I haven't seen anything about him that leads me to believe he can't.

ThunderDan
09-23-2008, 07:18 PM
I think putting everything that Favre says under a microscope and going extreme in either direction is ridiculous. It is what it is, they guy can play football, just not for the Packers anymore so all of this baiting by either side it just childish.

I agree that this team is far from a dynasty and our OL does suck something awful. We do have probably the best set of WR's that the Packers have ever had in their history. Our defense "could" be better if we had some coaching there, but not much better because outside of LB and DL to a certain extent, we have zero depth. So much for "building for the future" and "defense first" which are both Ted Thompson's mantra's. The ground work for a good team is laid by hiring good coaches. McCarthy was a great hire by Thompson. McCarthy is an offensive mind and fairly good at it although he does have his moments like both Dallas games I think he called poor games as well as against Chicago last yer. Our DB coach is a joke and our defensive coordinator is lacking foresite, creativeness, and a general lack of adjusting in game to exposures on defense. I believe Rodgers will be a good QB and even the most skeptical fans like myself can see that he is now progressing well. I was not convinced in pre-season because he looked like a deer caught in the headlights. He did to a point against Dallas but looked more confident in doing int. I still do not agree with handing him the keys to the car without him ever passing a driving test. I think ultimately he would be better today if he had one shred of competition in his NFL career. That doesn't mean I don't support the guy, that doesn't mean I hate the guy, it means that in looking into for what was best for the Packers and ultimately Rodgers himself, I would have handled it differently. He was a gamble to take, one that I would not have made because of the track record of Tedford QB's. However he has had pretty good QB coaching in his career and it appears that he has dropped a lot of the Tedford tendencies. He also had the luxury of learning by watching Favre for three seasons and although Favre is not fundamentally sound, he has the best vision of any QB I can remember, plays with heart, and leaves it all out on the field. You can see those traits emerging in Rodgers. And He was not thrown into the fire too soon which outside of Brady Quinn, I can't remember a QB in recent history who was ready to take over an NFL team out of college.

As far as Brett Favre goes, I haven't missed a Jets game yet and will continue to watch him and root for him because to me how he plays the game is how it should be played and he is fun to watch. Drama aside, Favre would be just fine this season as the Packers QB, probably would have lost to Dallas as well, but by no means does this mean I am willing to take sides in the whole Favre debacle. Thompson is as equally to blame as Favre is and no matter how many times you rehash "Favre or Rodgers", you will never know if it was a good decision or not. As long as the Packers are winning it really doesn't matter who the QB is. If Rodgers blows up and turns out to be horrible this season, then people will say Favre would have done better, if Rodgers does well then they will say it's the right decision. The problem is that there is no tangible comparisons you can make. The Jets are not the Packers, the personnel, the coaching philosophy and the chemistry is all different, even the conferences and teams played are different.

I wish people would stick to the concerns of the Packers and enjoy the play of a former Packer great with another team, to me it's just more football to be interested in watching.

Are you really Merlin? What happen to you?

Tarlam!
09-23-2008, 08:42 PM
You had some good analysis and I agreed with a lot of what you said; however, I am going to disagree on one point. I don't think you are being realistic in your expectations for depth. I doubt you could name very many, if any, teams that have solid depth at every single defensive position. Also, we've had a number of injuries that have forced our backups at safety and DB to play significant snaps. They were far from pro-bowl material, but quite frankly, they played better than some of the starters we've had in the past (think Carroll and Manuel). IMO, when your backups are improvements over you used to have as starters that is decent depth.

Bigby is a beast and has recently cut down on his mental mistakes. Collins looks to be making more plays on the ball. Rouse has potential and has looked decent absent some very bad angles. Peprah is what he is, a 3rd stringer. IMO, there are a lot of other teams that would like to have T. Williams is as their nickel back. Blackmon, in very limited time due to injury, has shown flashes and has been very good on returns.

Each of those players is young, yet you seem to say that the lack of depth in the secondary supports that they aren't building for the future or putting defense first. I disagree.

By the way, did Ted ever say that he was building for the future while putting defense first or did you put words in his mouth? I seem to remember him saying they were not in a rebuilding year/mode when he first got here.
:bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap:

Classy, respectful post with a lot of what I agree with. Good job. :flag:

SnakeLH2006
09-25-2008, 02:05 AM

First off I'd like to see the quote in a link (It seems he was joking and is pretty funny regardless). Secondly, WTMFF? Who cares, he's gone. Yea, I still watch all the Brett games, but in a kind of an NFL fan way (thinking damn he's got some game, damn thank god he ain't throwing THAT pick).

Yet, what is childish, is the bashing over and over and the fucking over one-up-etness around here as of late. I can just picture a select few just busting your keyboard's keys off it's hinges waiting to unleash some funny rant with anti-Brett sentiment thrown askew. Pathetic. He's gone, I respect Brett and prob. would have said MORE than he said over this ordeal, yet I for one am a HUGE Packer fan and a Brett fan second.

When did this forum go fucking nuts to throw down Brett at every chance and turn every he-said-she-said supposed OFFICIAL quote/text into a witch hunt? Let's just ambush him and dust his brakelines in his 4x4 then. Jesus Christ. Give it a break and move on.

Brett is an awesome player with an ego. He's gone. Support the Pack and quit progandandin' (don't think it's a word but should be) some he-said-she-said shit into your own take on what a fuck Brett is. He's a deece guy and prob. feels a little jaded. Get over it. Will you select few be booing when he goes into the Hall of Fame in 2014?

This shit gets old.

http://blogs.dailyillini.com/sports/files/2008/03/brett-favre-mouth-open1.jpg

TheCheese
09-25-2008, 02:59 AM

Ok lets try something here; Did Eli Manning compete for a position? Did he fight through his way in the depth chart and win that coveted QB starting position? Or was he just "handed the keys to the car?" What about Philip Rivers and Jay Cutler. And don't forget Carson Palmer, Donovan McNabb, Matt Hasselbeck and Ben Roethlisberger.

Then of course there was Peyton Manning who got the "keys to the car" the night he was drafted. And another good QB in the league who happened to "win" the starting position when Bledsoe went down, Tom Brady.

Do you know another QB who got thrust in the starting role because of injury without truly competing and winning the job? Oh yeah that guy Brett Favre; hmmm that turned out pretty damn good now wouldn't you say?

SnakeLH2006
09-25-2008, 03:10 AM

Ok lets try something here; Did Eli Manning compete for a position? Did he fight through his way in the depth chart and win that coveted QB starting position? Or was he just "handed the keys to the car?" What about Philip Rivers and Jay Cutler. And don't forget Carson Palmer, Donovan McNabb, Matt Hasselbeck and Ben Roethlisberger.

Then of course there was Peyton Manning who got the "keys to the car" the night he was drafted. And another good QB in the league who happened to "win" the starting position when Bledsoe went down, Tom Brady.

Do you know another QB who got thrust in the starting role because of injury without truly competing and winning the job? Oh yeah that guy Brett Favre; hmmm that turned out pretty damn good now wouldn't you say?

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r158/messboards/QFT1.jpg

cpk1994
09-25-2008, 06:26 AM

First off I'd like to see the quote in a link (It seems he was joking and is pretty funny regardless). Secondly, WTMFF? Who cares, he's gone. Yea, I still watch all the Brett games, but in a kind of an NFL fan way (thinking damn he's got some game, damn thank god he ain't throwing THAT pick).

Yet, what is childish, is the bashing over and over and the fucking over one-up-etness around here as of late. I can just picture a select few just busting your keyboard's keys off it's hinges waiting to unleash some funny rant with anti-Brett sentiment thrown askew. Pathetic. He's gone, I respect Brett and prob. would have said MORE than he said over this ordeal, yet I for one am a HUGE Packer fan and a Brett fan second.

When did this forum go fucking nuts to throw down Brett at every chance and turn every he-said-she-said supposed OFFICIAL quote/text into a witch hunt? Let's just ambush him and dust his brakelines in his 4x4 then. Jesus Christ. Give it a break and move on.

Brett is an awesome player with an ego. He's gone. Support the Pack and quit progandandin' (don't think it's a word but should be) some he-said-she-said shit into your own take on what a fuck Brett is. He's a deece guy and prob. feels a little jaded. Get over it. Will you select few be booing when he goes into the Hall of Fame in 2014?

This shit gets old.

http://blogs.dailyillini.com/sports/files/2008/03/brett-favre-mouth-open1.jpgThere was no ambushing. Brett brought it all on himself. If you are going to act like a selfish diva, then you are going to get called on it.

Bretsky
09-25-2008, 07:12 AM

This shit gets old.

:bclap: