PDA

View Full Version : AJ Hawk - Year Three

Fritz
09-24-2008, 07:02 AM
JSO had an article about AJ Hawk today - the idea was still that "yeah, he's good, but he could be better for a #5 overall pick."

I'm not buying that any more. For Hawk's first two years, I compared him to Ernie Sims, whom the Lions took #9 overall in the same draft. Sims definitely had a greater impact the first season. He was a big hitter who made some big plays - blowing up a play in the backfield for example.

But the two players have gone in different directions. Sims is being exposed now as a guy who sometimes overruns plays and can be blocked. It doesn't help that he's got a sucky d-line in front of him, but still, he seems more and more like a better-than-average linebacker and not much more. Hawk, on the other hand, seems to always be in the right place, always making tackles, doing his job. I think he's a very good linebacker. I'm pleased with the guy's performance.

Thoughts?

Bretsky
09-24-2008, 07:09 AM
I get the idea that you want a #5 pick to be a superstar right away; but not many are. Of the players GB was considering Hawk was the best choice and he seems to be taking a strong step forward.

I do think Ernie Sims is a better than average LB; but I think Hawk is better and if he continues to improve we will see him in a Pro Bowl in the next few years. Vanilla Bob could make that more challenging, but Hawk is getting to be very good.

Fritz
09-24-2008, 07:12 AM
So Bretsky, what'd you think of ol' Vernon Davis in the SF-Detroit game (if you saw it)? He as a guy lots of folks were pushing for Ted to take at the #5 spot.

KYPack
09-24-2008, 08:03 AM
You really have to wait until the 3rd year to evaluate, I guess. Sometimes it's tough to wait. You really become jealous of other teams that get high picks. The high picks bomb just like the mid range and lower #1's.

Hawk has gone from decent player to pretty good to good. He is showing flashes this year that he may become a superstar. Any time a player comes in from the draft and plays for you, that's a plus. If he's a solid starter, accept your winnings. If you have a Viking draft (Multiple high picks that bomb) it can set you back for years.

Hawk had me worried last year. He only improved slightly last year and I began to think he might be a slug. But he continued to improve. That defense makes him a cover guy. We play our linebackers too deep to blitz a lot, yet Hawk is starting to blitz pretty well.

If he doesn't get hurt, he may just be a superstar.

SkinBasket
09-24-2008, 08:16 AM
Vernon Davis can go fuck himself and die as a result after his tearful thanking of the heavens for not ending up in GB at the draft.

Cheesehead Craig
09-24-2008, 08:21 AM
He was clearly the best choice at the time for the Packers to take and I wouldn't change a thing with taking him at the #5 spot if we had to do it over again.

mmmdk
09-24-2008, 11:06 AM
Vernon Davis can go fuck himself and die as a result after his tearful thanking of the heavens for not ending up in GB at the draft.

That kinda did it for me too :lol:

:cow:

BF4MVP
09-24-2008, 11:40 AM
Hawk has been amazing this year..He can still improve obviously, but he's been very, very good the first few games.

Tony Oday
09-24-2008, 11:56 AM
This might sound dumb but I like hawk because of his skill and the fact that I can point to him and tell my 2 1/2 year old son that that can be a role model...

Gunakor
09-24-2008, 02:02 PM

Some people strive for mediocrity. Hopefully he'll have a comfy spot on the sofa to watch the Super Bowl for the next 10-15 years, while AJ and the Pack win a couple and contend for many more over that time period.

Badgepack
09-24-2008, 03:03 PM
I find it very strange that after making a good play, AJ will simply get up and go back to the huddle without any kind of celebration. No dances, no gyrations, just doing his job type of attitude.

red
09-24-2008, 03:13 PM
i loved the pick then, and i still love it

aj isn't going to get a ton of pub. but you can count on him doing what he's suppose to be doing on the field

he's the type of guy where you wish you could have 53 of him on the team

mmmdk
09-24-2008, 03:51 PM
i loved the pick then, and i still love it

aj isn't going to get a ton of pub. but you can count on him doing what he's suppose to be doing on the field

he's the type of guy where you wish you could have 53 of him on the team

Amen! Hawk is my favorite Packer player!

ND72
09-24-2008, 07:55 PM
so...have I mentioned my avatar? :lol:

BobDobbs
09-25-2008, 04:08 PM
I think the idea is that we want to see more upside from him at this point, he has become more assginment sure, he is a great tackler, and is even showing something on the blitz(he already has two sacks this year). He does overpursue occasionally, but he is generally in the right spot.

What I want to see are some more explosive plays from him. Linbacker coach Winston Moss preaches causing turnovers. It doesn't have to be every game, but more picks, fumbles caused, and recovered. It is not that he would be a failure or a wasted pick. But if grows from a play stopper into a playmaker he will have realized his potential. And that may turn us into a championship defense.