PDA

View Full Version : Plaxico suspended

KYPack
09-24-2008, 08:08 AM
Just heard an announcement the the Giants are suspending Plaxico Burress for two weeks for "insurbordination". That boils down to one game. The Giants are on the bye week Sunday.

Burress tried to pull this same crap when he was with Pittsburgh.

Cowher wouldn't take it, neither will Coughlin.

Cheesehead Craig
09-24-2008, 08:13 AM
Damn, no Plaxico for 2 weeks for my fantasy squad.

Chevelle2
09-24-2008, 08:13 AM
Should I trade Eli for Felix Jones? I have Warner and Rivers....

mraynrand
09-24-2008, 08:35 AM
Warning! Fantasy Geek has been spotted!

http://polosbastards.com/pb/wp-content/uploads/2006/05/warning-sign.gif
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2374/1492639379_1664a534b3.jpg

BF4MVP
09-24-2008, 11:42 AM
Kinda sucks that it's on a bye week..I don't like the Giants so I want Plax to miss as much time as possible.

BF4MVP
09-24-2008, 11:43 AM
Warner and Rivers can get the job done at QB, I think, if you wanted to trade Eli..The question is, is Felix Jones worth it? I wouldn't think that a backup running back would be worth a pretty decent starting quarterback, but if you want to do that, you can afford to lose Eli.

Kyle.McCarroll
09-24-2008, 09:12 PM

Rivers>Manning

I'd probably go for it. Felix is bound to get you some TD's.

GoPackGo
09-25-2008, 10:20 AM
The only reasons a player would miss a team function without making a call to the team, is if they are on drugs, in jail, or dead. If I was Tom Coughlin, I'd be very worried about this.http://ktar.net/blogs/gash/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/1113wolfley1.jpg

Scott Campbell
09-25-2008, 10:28 AM
I see Drew has concocted a Rosenexcuse for him already.

LL2
09-25-2008, 12:03 PM
Plaxico is a dumb ass prick!

Gunakor
09-25-2008, 01:26 PM
I'd like to know what the Giants hope to accomplish by taking thier most lethal weapon off of the field in any game. Look, you wanna punish Plax then get in his pocket and take as much money as you want to. Fine him 2 weeks pay, but don't take him off the field. By taking him off the field entirely the Giants are punishing the whole team. If the Giants lose that game while Plax - while perfectly healthy - is standing on the sidelines in street clothes... How do you explain that one to the other 52 guys who are couniting on Plaxico's contribution to winning? Doesn't make sense to me.

Scott Campbell
09-25-2008, 01:35 PM
How do you explain that one to the other 52 guys who are couniting on Plaxico's contribution to winning? Doesn't make sense to me.

How do you explain requiring the other 52 guys to show up on time (or do anything else) if you cut Plax some slack?

Gunakor
09-25-2008, 01:40 PM
How do you explain that one to the other 52 guys who are couniting on Plaxico's contribution to winning? Doesn't make sense to me.

How do you explain requiring the other 52 guys to show up on time (or do anything else) if you cut Plax some slack?

You don't. But you don't punish the whole team either. Like I said, fine his ass but keep him on the field. Make him play for free for a couple weeks. Don't cut him any slack, but don't punish the rest of the team by making it tougher to score points and win games. Take the quarter million from him... hell take half a million from him. But come gameday he better be on the field if healthy, because that gives you the best chance to win. It's all about winning, isn't it?

Scott Campbell
09-25-2008, 01:44 PM
It's all about winning, isn't it?

Yeah. And winning requires discipline. Tom Coughlin knows what he's doing. John Fox knows what he's doing. He earned a lot of respect for sitting Steve Smith.

This makes players hold each other accountable for living within the rules. It's one thing to pay a fine. It's another thing entirely to let your team mates down for being a douchebag. Plax has to look those guys in the eye when he comes back.

Gunakor
09-25-2008, 02:08 PM
It's all about winning, isn't it?

Yeah. And winning requires discipline. Tom Coughlin knows what he's doing. John Fox knows what he's doing. He earned a lot of respect for sitting Steve Smith.

This makes players hold each other accountable for living within the rules. It's one thing to pay a fine. It's another thing entirely to let your team mates down for being a douchebag. Plax has to look those guys in the eye when he comes back.

You could be right. But this could be very detrimental to the entire team. Suppose the Giants are eliminated from the playoffs in the final week of the season, and the game they lost due to Plaxico's suspension is the difference between watching the playoffs and participating in them. The decision to punish one player has cost an entire team a playoff berth. The same could happen in Carolina. I wonder how much the players on either team would respect thier coach if it turns out that the decision to suspend one player resulted in a lost opportunity at the most sacred title in all of sports - Super Bowl Champion.

I wouldn't do it. I would fine the hell out of the player, and make it a significant enough amount that the player would get the message. But I wouldn't punish the whole team by taking my best player off the field. That isn't going to help win anything short term, and could cost the team an opportunity long term.

Could you imagine the Packers suspending Brett Favre for thier week 1 games for skipping mandatory offseason work? Sherman/Thompson would be hanged for such a crime.

It's just not a good idea to take your best player off the field. Every game is important, and every win counts, because when January rolls around the difference between 10-6 and 9-7 could be more than just a game.

sepporepi
09-25-2008, 03:27 PM
The same could happen in Carolina.

How???

I thought the won the first two games without him. What more can they do?
Win 99-0 for better tiebreakers :lol: ?

bobblehead
09-25-2008, 06:57 PM
Kinda sucks that it's on a bye week..I don't like the Giants so I want Plax to miss as much time as possible.

chalk it under...ways to dock a guy 2 weeks pay and only lose him for one game. these things happen to assclowns who holdout, get the deal, then continue to be assclowns.

bobblehead
09-25-2008, 06:59 PM
I'd like to know what the Giants hope to accomplish by taking thier most lethal weapon off of the field in any game. Look, you wanna punish Plax then get in his pocket and take as much money as you want to. Fine him 2 weeks pay, but don't take him off the field. By taking him off the field entirely the Giants are punishing the whole team. If the Giants lose that game while Plax - while perfectly healthy - is standing on the sidelines in street clothes... How do you explain that one to the other 52 guys who are couniting on Plaxico's contribution to winning? Doesn't make sense to me.

the collective bargaining agreement has max fines like 5k per training camp day missed or probably 10k for this meeting. They can't simply dock him 2 games pay and play him, gotta suspend him to dock the pay.

Gunakor
09-25-2008, 07:48 PM

the collective bargaining agreement has max fines like 5k per training camp day missed or probably 10k for this meeting. They can't simply dock him 2 games pay and play him, gotta suspend him to dock the pay.

Nick Barnett was docked his first weeks pay this season for that incident in Appleton last year. He wasn't suspended, he still played but he played for free against the Vikings. Is that allowed for NFL fines but not for team fines? I figured the same rules applied. My mistake if I'm wrong.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-25-2008, 07:55 PM
IF it were up to me, i'd remove his spleen and give it to Al. Seems fair.