Matt Millen?

Rastak
09-24-2008, 09:24 AM
Matt Millen?

Mr 31-84, yes indeed.

KYPack
09-24-2008, 09:33 AM
Seriously, it's about freakin time!

The Millen regime will now be studied in the future in an attempt to figure out why the Lions kept him around for so long.

oregonpackfan
09-24-2008, 09:39 AM
Did the owner, Ford, offer a "bailout" to Millen by offering him to take home a wide receiver?

Millen often used his first round draft picks on receivers.

Cleft Crusty
09-24-2008, 09:40 AM
His two top mentors, Basketball and Football play-by-play announcer Dick Stockton and sideline reporter Leslie Visser have already expressed their dismay at the firing. Said Visser: "He just needed a bit more time." Said Stockton: "Matt is a football genius. He had the ability to identify great players better than anyone I've ever worked with. He kept a list of the first and second team All-pro players in his wallet and would review it before broadcasts." Lions Quarterback and 'Prison Break' star Jon Kitna said: "7 years after Mike Holmgren thought I was washed up, Matt gave me a chance to work with the greatest mind in offensive pro football, Mike Martz. We made sweet music together in about 5 games. That ought to be enough for anyone.

Like most other Fod workers who have been laid off recently, Millen was offered a $150,000 buyout for his $76/hour of wages and compensation. Considering Millen probably only worked about three hours a week, not counting commuting to his home in Pennsylvania, the buy out was a steal, like drafting Andre Goodman at #68 in the 2002 draft.

Patler
09-24-2008, 09:52 AM
This is sad news for the rest of the NFC North. :cry: :cry:
If the Lions now hire a simply bad GM, that will be an improvement for them!

Kiwon
09-24-2008, 09:52 AM
Aw, man.

Where's loyalty any more?

MM was just getting his stuff together. They just needed to draft a few more wide receivers. :P

Tarlam!
09-24-2008, 09:54 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80b15114&template=without-video&confirm=true

News Main E-mail

Posted: 16 minutes ago
Report: Milllen out as GM in Detroit
NFL.com Wire Reports

Two days after Lions vice chairman Bill Ford Jr. essentially said he'd fire team president Matt Millen if he had the authority, Millen is out.

According to FOXSports.com, Millen was informed of the move last night during a meeting with team officials. It was not immediately clear whether Millen was fired or if he resigned.

The Lions are off to an 0-3 start this season, and are an NFL-worst 31-84 since Millen became general manager in 2001.

Tarlam!
09-24-2008, 09:56 AM

True, but I figure they'll need two seasons at least to turn it around. TT went 4-12 before he went 8-8.

Scott Campbell
09-24-2008, 10:04 AM
It just goes to show that nobody's job is safe in these difficult economic times.

mmmdk
09-24-2008, 10:42 AM
Seriously, it's about freakin time!

The Millen regime will now be studied in the future in an attempt to figure out why the Lions kept him around for so long.

The horror, the horror...is over for Lions! I applaud it.

Lurker64
09-24-2008, 10:46 AM
I wonder how much any Lions GM that replaces him is going to be doomed, since by all accounts the atmosphere in the locker room for the Lions is pretty poisonous. It's going to take longer to turn that team around than other teams who have more recently known success.

mmmdk
09-24-2008, 10:51 AM

:whaa: You feel sorry for Bears & Vikings too? I don't! Lions still needs to shore things up and history hasn't been kind to Detroit football.

Guiness
09-24-2008, 11:16 AM
This is bad news indeed. Next thing you know, Minnesota will change their QB.

What? They already did? And won a game with the new guy??? Damn! At least Chicago still has Orton and Rex #1 and #2. Hopefully that will stay for a while :twisted:

BF4MVP
09-24-2008, 11:38 AM
:(

gbgary
09-24-2008, 12:04 PM
maybe al davis will hire him and, the surely to be fired very soon, minn coach brad childress.

KYPack
09-24-2008, 12:14 PM
The Millen regime is amazing. The Lions were 9-7 the year before he got there. All the Detroit fans were pissing and moaning that the Lions weren't playing up to their potential. Lion fans are the worst fans in the NFC North. If they ever do well, you'll be shocked at all the butthole Lion trolls that try to get on here and talk shit.

The Lions never sniffed 9-7 under Millen. So the Lion fans got what they deserved, a trip to the NFC North toilet.

Fat Matt was a helluva player and and OK broadcaster before he got the big job in Motown. But what made anyone think he could be the CEO of the Lions?
Norman Chad once wrote that a similar career path would be:

1. Gas station attendant
2. Car owner
3. President and CEO of the Ford Motor Company

The Lion got what they deserved, too bad they didn't go with Matt a few more years.

gbgary
09-24-2008, 12:21 PM

1. Gas station attendant
2. Car owner

The Lion got what they deserved, too bad they didn't go with Matt a few more years.

:lol:

CaliforniaCheez
09-24-2008, 12:24 PM

I should feel that way. Intellectually I do.

However, in my heart I know this is a good move. There is no rivalry. There is no fun in heckling a beat down Lions fan. It is no fun when other divisions consider the NFC North "easy' due to a game with the Lions.

Millen was part of a network's #2 broadcast team and he will be offered a broadcasting job again because there are a lot worse boadcasters out there.

Millen will earn back some respect but not as much as he had before. If not, it is because he has been lionized.

MadScientist
09-24-2008, 12:30 PM
One stat that is truly mind boggling is that of the 53 players he's drafted over the past 7 years, only 16 are on the current active roster (+2 on IR). He can't even draft scrubs good enough to be backups on the worst team in the NFL.

Sherman was a freaking draft guru and genius GM compared to Millen.

pbmax
09-24-2008, 12:34 PM
Sad day for unemployed announcers everywhere. I can't wait until he starts talking about his time there.

Unfortunate day for NFC North. Those 2 wins were always welcome.

Good for the Detroit fans, though. All 37 of them.

mmmdk
09-24-2008, 12:41 PM
Sad day for unemployed announcers everywhere. I can't wait until he starts talking about his time there.

Unfortunate day for NFC North. Those 2 wins were always welcome.

Good for the Detroit fans, though. All 37 of them.

:lol:

Cheesehead Craig
09-24-2008, 12:50 PM
One stat that is truly mind boggling is that of the 53 players he's drafted over the past 7 years, only 16 are on the current active roster (+2 on IR). He can't even draft scrubs good enough to be backups on the worst team in the NFL.

Hell, Sherman may just apply for the job.

Scott Campbell
09-24-2008, 12:52 PM
I think he deserves a second chance. Preferrably with the Bears.

mraynrand
09-24-2008, 01:03 PM
This man wants to be the next Lions GM

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/football/bob_blog/packersfan.jpg

mraynrand
09-24-2008, 01:04 PM

he's busy!

http://www.dack.com/images/weblog/mike-sherman-sleeping.jpg

cheesner
09-24-2008, 03:01 PM

However, in my heart I know this is a good move. There is no rivalry. There is no fun in heckling a beat down Lions fan. It is no fun when other divisions consider the NFC North "easy' due to a game with the Lions.

Millen was part of a network's #2 broadcast team and he will be offered a broadcasting job again because there are a lot worse boadcasters out there.

Millen will earn back some respect but not as much as he had before. If not, it is because he has been lionized.Much of a broadcasters appeal is if the listener believes the guy knows what he is talking about. Matt Millen's level of credibility has taken too big of a hit.

My bet, is that he lays low for at least 2 seasons before going back to the booth.

HarveyWallbangers
09-24-2008, 03:11 PM
NOOOO!!!!

Next thing you know, the Vikings will fire Childress and the Bears will find a decent QB.

red
09-24-2008, 03:17 PM
that sucks, now the lions might actually get better in the years to come

with millen, you knew the lions would suck. just like you know the bears offense is going to suck with grossman or orton at qb

pbmax
09-24-2008, 03:20 PM
Tank/APB would be proud. If what I am reading about A&M is true, he might be available sooner rather than later for an NFL gig.

pbmax
09-24-2008, 03:23 PM
Stop scaring the children Harv.

OK, stop scaring me. :shock:

NOOOO!!!!

Next thing you know, the Vikings will fire Childress and the Bears will find a decent QB.

mmmdk
09-24-2008, 03:49 PM
Stop scaring the children Harv.

OK, stop scaring me. :shock:

NOOOO!!!!

...and people (incl. myself) say I worry too much prior/during Packer game.

Afraid of kittens??? :lol: Not yet though.

Even with Barry Sanders Lions never went to SB. Barry is still # 1 RB I ever watched play.

Joemailman
09-24-2008, 05:25 PM
Just goes to show there's no such thing as loyalty anymore.

What reasons did they give other than the won/loss record for the dismissal?

Iron Mike
09-24-2008, 05:32 PM
Per pft.com

How did he last THIS long?

He must have convinced the Fords he could "kick ass" draft. :P

KYPack
09-24-2008, 05:44 PM
Per pft.com

How did he last THIS long?

He must have convinced the Fords he could "kick ass" draft. :P

I hope Matt steals Bill Ford's luggage on the way outta town!

hurleyfan
09-24-2008, 05:48 PM

Isn't the won/loss record enough?

Joemailman
09-24-2008, 05:53 PM
No! There has to be more to it than this! I just know it. Some day the truth will come out.

MJZiggy
09-24-2008, 10:12 PM
Think of it this way--like any good breakup, they're gonna have to have a rebound GM before they find a good one again. Maybe even 2 or 3. Remember, WC Ford has absolutely NO idea what qualities to look for in hiring a GM...

SnakeLH2006
09-25-2008, 12:53 AM

Millen will earn back some respect but not as much as he had before. If not, it is because he has been lionized.Much of a broadcasters appeal is if the listener believes the guy knows what he is talking about. Matt Millen's level of credibility has taken too big of a hit.

My bet, is that he lays low for at least 2 seasons before going back to the booth.

Dan Diefdorf has that GM job on lock I tell ya! :lol:

What's even more amazing than the fact he lasted 7 miserable seasons as the GM is that he got a massive extension recently. FOX Sports reported he'll collect $5million a year through 2010 regardless. Talk about going out a winner!

KYPack
09-25-2008, 09:00 AM
There's talk out of Detroit that Millen has told the Lions to "keep your money".

If true, Matt might even be dumber than we thought he was.

Scott Campbell
09-25-2008, 09:04 AM
There's talk out of Detroit that Millen has told the Lions to "keep your money".

I actually respect that. Even though he just got fired, the Ford's showed him way more loyalty that he would have received with any other franchise.

I'd think I'd actually find him more credible as a broadcaster if he follows through on it.

mraynrand
09-25-2008, 09:22 AM

I actually respect that. Even though he just got fired, the Ford's showed him way more loyalty that he would have received with any other franchise.

I'd think I'd actually find him more credible as a broadcaster if he follows through on it.

I agree. And what choice does he have, really, except to say "I really sucked as a GM. It's a really hard job and I respect the hell out of the guys who are successful." If he goes back to announcing I think that's his only route - kinda play up the 'Bob Uecker' angle - poke a little fun at himself. He was a decent analyst.

MadScientist
09-25-2008, 09:27 AM

Isn't the won/loss record enough?
They broke in to Millen's office and destroyed all the blackmail pictures that Millen had on the Fords.

oregonpackfan
09-25-2008, 10:01 AM
I'd think I'd actually find him more credible as a broadcaster if he follows through on it.[/quote]

When he was in the broadcast booth, I thought he did a fine job. He was intelligent, insightful, and demonstrated excellent speaking skills.

The guy simply was not GM material.

Fritz
09-25-2008, 12:30 PM
The Millen regime is amazing. The Lions were 9-7 the year before he got there. All the Detroit fans were pissing and moaning that the Lions weren't playing up to their potential. Lion fans are the worst fans in the NFC North. If they ever do well, you'll be shocked at all the butthole Lion trolls that try to get on here and talk shit.

The Lions never sniffed 9-7 under Millen. So the Lion fans got what they deserved, a trip to the NFC North toilet.

Fat Matt was a helluva player and and OK broadcaster before he got the big job in Motown. But what made anyone think he could be the CEO of the Lions?

1. Gas station attendant
2. Car owner

I'm in agreement, perhaps because I live in Lion Land. In the early 90's when they went to the playoffs and won a game, Detroit fans - some even my supposed friends - razzed me mercilessly and endlessly about how shi__y the Packers were and how awesome the roaring Lions were. They were beyond teasing and ribbing and even rubbing it in; they were rude and surprisingly arrogant.

However, since WC Ford has owned the team, they've never been to a Superbowl and have one a grand total of one playoff game. This means they sucked long before Millen got there.

So don't lose all hope, Packer fans. I am confident old man Ford can bungle this next hire as well.

Joemailman
09-25-2008, 06:11 PM

When he was in the broadcast booth, I thought he did a fine job. He was intelligent, insightful, and demonstrated excellent speaking skills.

The guy simply was not GM material.[/quote]

I remember one year early in Sharper's career. Sharper was having a bad year, missing a ton of tackles. After a bad miss, Millen said, "Sharper must have failed geography in school. He always takes the wrong angle." Always loved that line. Maybe because I never liked Sharper much.

KYPack
09-25-2008, 06:21 PM

The guy simply was not GM material.

I remember one year early in Sharper's career. Sharper was having a bad year, missing a ton of tackles. After a bad miss, Millen said, "Sharper must have failed geography in school. He always takes the wrong angle." Always loved that line. Maybe because I never liked Sharper much.[/quote]

Did Matt mean Geometry, er am I stupid, too, er what?

I used to really like Matt on the air, or hate the shit out of him.

He definitely knows more ball than most broadcast geeks, but he gets on kicks that drive ya nuts, too.

I basically like Millen as a person. Right on down the line, everyone says he's a nice guy. There's a lot of Sherman in Millen. Both great guys that were in way over their heads.

Joemailman
09-25-2008, 08:07 PM
Matt said geometry. My error. :oops:

mraynrand
09-25-2008, 09:51 PM
Matt said geometry. My error. :oops:

Jim Gantner would have been proud!

ND72
09-25-2008, 10:00 PM
All I know is, I pretty much rock at building franchises on Madden, I think some NFL team is missing out on me right now.

oregonpackfan
09-26-2008, 09:59 AM
All I know is, I pretty much rock at building franchises on Madden, I think some NFL team is missing out on me right now.

Would you be willing to leave your good-paying job and take a "Pay-cut" to $5 million a year as the Lions GM? :)