PDA

View Full Version : CB Help?

Bossman641
09-24-2008, 02:33 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3606190

In their second major move in two days, the St. Louis Rams released starting cornerback Fakhir Brown and signed former Saints cornerback Jason Craft as a roster replacement.

On Tuesday, the Rams, under pressure because of an 0-3 start, benched starting quarterback Marc Bulger and replaced him with Trent Green. Coach Scott Linehan was expected to address the moves Wednesday at a news conference.

The 31-year-old Brown was considered the team's best coverage option and made 27 starts the past three seasons since going to the Rams from the Saints. His release comes only a week after the benching of another Rams starting cornerback, Tye Hill.

Anybody know anything about this guy? I found the following blog on ESPN, not good to hear, but he does have experience.

The Rams' decision to release Fakhir Brown, considered their top cornerback heading into the season, isn't going to help them field a more talented secondary this season. Then again, talent might not be the Rams' only problem during their 0-3 start.

The notebook I keep during games will inevitably feature 30 or 40 hastily scrawled observations. Some translate directly to a story or blog entry. Some get filed away for future consideration. Others become irrelevant.

The 19th note taken during the Rams-Seahawks game questioned Brown's effort defending a deep pass during the second quarter. Seattle quarterback Matt Hasselbeck threw deep left for Billy McMullen for a 34-yard gain to the 6.

I'm always reluctant to question effort without knowing a player's responsibility on a play. After this play, I consulted with another reporter in the press box to see if he had seen the play the same way. He wasn't sure.

After rewatching the play several times on video today, Brown doesn't look any better. First, he does nothing to slow McMullen at the line. He gave McMullen a 5-yard cushion, stepped forward after the snap, turned back to the quarterback, stopped briefly and then jogged as McMullen ran into the clear for a 34-yard reception. Safety Oshiomogho Atogwe made the tackle at the St. Louis 6. The jogging part stood out.

A shoulder injury sidelined Brown through training camp and the exhibition season. He returned for the season opener and started the Seattle game. Ron Bartell and Tye Hill become the starting corners heading into Week 4. Brown, 31, has 27 starts and seven interceptions for the Rams over the last three seasons.

The Rams rank 30th in pass defense, giving up an average of 272.3 yards per game. As a team, the Rams are giving up 38.7 points a game. They face the AFC East-leading Buffalo Bills this weekend.

The Rams signed Brown to a five-year, $12 million free agent deal in 2006. He injured his shoulder early in camp this summer.

Bossman641
09-24-2008, 02:35 PM
Just to add a little more, even though nothing will probably happen.

2008 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.
Grade: 65 | Key
Alert: None

Comment: Brown is strong, physical and excels in press coverage. He has good upper-body strength, uses his hands effectively to shed blockers and can disrupt most receivers in their routes. His technique is solid. He has quick feet and stays low in his backpedal. He has fluid hips and is smooth in transition. He has a good plant-and-drive and shows good short-area burst to the ball. He has decent awareness in zone coverage. He is a willing and aggressive tackler. He likes to mix it up and won't shy away from contact. He is adequate in run support. But Brown can be too aggressive. He is prone to taking poor angles, overpursuing ball carriers and missing tackles. He lacks ideal top-end speed and acceleration. He doesn't have the ability to recover when he gets out of position. He gives up some big plays.

Gunakor
09-24-2008, 02:43 PM
I'd rather give T-Will a shot at it first. Blackmon, Bush and Lee can battle each other over the nickel and dime spots, which hopefully will make all three of them better in the long run. I kinda want to see Pat Lee beat out Bush for the Dime spot, but from what I hear that isn't very likely. In any case, bringing in another veteran CB would steal practice and game reps away from the younger guys, hindering thier development. The injury to Harris is a big blow to this defense, but I also look at this as a golden opportunity advance the development of the younger guys and get them mentally prepared for the job they'll be asked to do in a couple years anyway. That being to fill the shoes of our aging veteran starters.

Rastak
09-24-2008, 02:45 PM
From pft.com, clearly just a rumor/guess.....

SPECULATION SWIRLS THAT BROWN IS FACING A SUSPENSION
Posted by Mike Florio on September 24, 2008, 11:15 a.m.

The sudden decision of the Rams to drop starting cornerback Fakhir Brown is prompting some speculation in league circles that Brown is facing a one-year suspension for violation of the league’s substance-abuse policy.

Brown previously was suspended four games, and avoided a one-year suspension earlier this year due to a dilute sample.

Though the CBA prohibits teams from disciplining a player for violation of the substance-abuse policy, it didn’t stop the Colts two weeks ago when defensive tackle Ed Johnson was arrested for marijuana possession.

Then again, it could just be that the Rams cut Brown because the defense sucks and they wanted to stir things up.

Brown, a vested veteran, will be eligible to take the balance of his $1.95 million salary as termination pay (if he’s never taken termination pay at any other point during his career).

He was signed through 2010, at salaries of $2.45 million next year and $2.95 million the following year. He’ll instantly become an unrestricted free agent.

cheesner
09-24-2008, 02:50 PM
If one of the worst teams in the NFL doesn't want him, that puts up some really big red flags.

MadtownPacker
09-24-2008, 06:18 PM
We dont need that dumb fakhir.

falco
09-24-2008, 06:21 PM
i don't think there is anyone out there that will be better than what we have, unless TT trades for somebody

hoosier
09-24-2008, 07:28 PM
If one of the worst teams in the NFL doesn't want him, that puts up some really big red flags.

Good thing Ron Wolf didn't have that reaction when Andre Rison got released by a crappy Clevelend Browns team. :lol:

EDIT: Oops, I guess it was Jax that released him before Wolf picked him up.

Kyle.McCarroll
09-24-2008, 09:08 PM
If you know Ted Thompson, then you know that nothing will happen.

Although I'm a huge supporter of the "Nnamdi in '09" Campaign.

mmmdk
09-24-2008, 09:14 PM
I remember him playing for the Saints; he ain't worth sh!t.

KYPack
09-24-2008, 10:20 PM

Now that Champ is older, Nnamdi is the best corner in the NFL.

pbmax
09-24-2008, 11:04 PM
Two words. Scorpio Babers. The name alone is worth five picks. :lol:

SnakeLH2006
09-25-2008, 12:46 AM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Let's be glad the Al injury happened sooner than later though. We'll get a good look at T Will to see if he can handle it and perhaps Blackmon. We gotta know if they can play so TT knows whether to give a big money contract to the best CB in FA next year. :shock:

run pMc
09-25-2008, 08:33 AM
He gave up on a play targeted at him! What would he do if Romo started picking on him?
TT likes to bring in players who like to play the game. Giving up on a play suggests this guy isn't that type of person. As crappy as the D has been in STL, they could try to turn it around and play respectible...the NFCW is a horrible division right now.

I'm a fan of Nnamdi, but I doubt he's going anywhere. He's probably OAK's best player.
Along with most of Packer Nation, I think TT is interested to see if Tramon and Blackmon step up (and hoping they do).

Lee is a developmental guy this year.

Stinks about Al, but he needs to take his time, heal up and come back strong next year.

hoosier
09-25-2008, 01:55 PM
He gave up on a play targeted at him! What would he do if Romo started picking on him?
TT likes to bring in players who like to play the game. Giving up on a play suggests this guy isn't that type of person. As crappy as the D has been in STL, they could try to turn it around and play respectible...the NFCW is a horrible division right now.

I'm a fan of Nnamdi, but I doubt he's going anywhere. He's probably OAK's best player.
Along with most of Packer Nation, I think TT is interested to see if Tramon and Blackmon step up (and hoping they do).

Lee is a developmental guy this year.

Stinks about Al, but he needs to take his time, heal up and come back strong next year.

I would certainly want to see what Williams can do in a starting role first, but I wouldn't write off a player with talent who fits well in the system just because he screwed up in STL. StLouis is a freaking circus. This guy may well just be an immature player who easily succumbs to bad habits when in an unstable environment, but who can be brought into line when playing in the right environment.

Iron Mike
09-25-2008, 05:39 PM
Who needs help with their radio??

https://www.gijoesradioelectronics.com/Images/CobraCbRadio29LtdSeLg3.jpg

Pacopete4
09-25-2008, 05:41 PM
why not give tramon, lee, and bush a try before we think about another CB... heck that is what they are on the roster for to begin with right?

channtheman
09-26-2008, 10:59 AM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Little Whiskey
09-26-2008, 04:53 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

think they called his mom, mother fakhir?

Kyle.McCarroll
09-26-2008, 06:37 PM

Now that Champ is older, Nnamdi is the best corner in the NFL.

1000% agree.

KYPack
09-26-2008, 10:05 PM
[quote=run pMc]
StLouis is a freaking circus. This guy may well just be an immature player who easily succumbs to bad habits when in an unstable environment, but who can be brought into line when playing in the right environment.

Brown is 31. He is an all growed up man. I agree with the "let's use our kids" bunch.