PDA

View Full Version : Packers: Harris' spleen injury may not end season

packers11
09-24-2008, 02:54 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3607090

Wednesday, September 24, 2008
Harris out indefinitely as McCarthy awaits time frame on return

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Cornerback Al Harris has a "serious" spleen injury that requires a cautious approach, but he hasn't been ruled out for the rest of the season, Packers coach Mike McCarthy said Wednesday.

"I'm hopeful he'll be back," McCarthy said. "The time frame just hasn't been established."

Harris was injured in the first quarter of Green Bay's loss to the Dallas Cowboys on Sunday night. The injury is believed to be a ruptured spleen, which sidelined then-Tampa Bay quarterback Chris Simms for the rest of the season in 2006.

"It's a serious injury," McCarthy said. "I think that's obvious to everybody. And really, as we move forward, it's a different type of injury. And we will take a cautious approach, and everything we'll do will be in his best interests."

Harris, one of the Packers' top defensive players, won't be able to do any significant physical activity for at least a week and will not play in Sunday's game at Tampa Bay.

But McCarthy also said Harris has sought at least three medical opinions this week and there's a "good chance" he can avoid surgery.

"If Al was standing here, he'd tell you he'd want to play this week," McCarthy said. "That's kind of how he feels."

Harris left Sunday night's game in the first quarter after he collided with Packers linebacker A.J. Hawk. Harris returned two plays later.

But he left again and did not return after tackling Cowboys running back Marion Barber. Harris went to the locker room in the second quarter with what team officials described as cramping. McCarthy said after the game that Harris had blood in his urine and was not allowed to return by the team's medical staff.

Simms ruptured his spleen in a game against the Carolina Panthers in 2006 and had an emergency procedure to have it removed. He missed the rest of the season and returned in 2007, but was inactive for the first five games before being placed on injured reserve.

The Buccaneers cut Simms in August, and he signed with Tennessee this month. Simms has yet to play in any of the Titans' three games.

Losing Harris for any extended time will be a difficult blow to the Packers' defense. Harris, who specializes in the aggressive style of bump-and-run coverage favored by Packers coaches, went to his first Pro Bowl last season.

Despite both being over the age of 30, he and Charles Woodson form one of the NFL's most formidable cornerback tandems. Woodson was effective against Cowboys receiver Terrell Owens on Sunday, but the Packers had a hard time containing the rest of the Cowboys without Harris on the field.

"Any time you lose guys, it's hard, but you expect other guys to step up," Packers defensive coordinator Bob Sanders said after Sunday's game. "But certainly losing Al, a guy of that caliber, that hurts. Anytime you lose a guy like that, it's not good."

Harris' starting spot will likely be taken by second-year player Tramon Williams.

packers11
09-24-2008, 02:55 PM
* On Harris' torn spleen: It's a different type of injury. They'll take a cautious approach. Harris can't do anything for seven days. Still gathering information on second and third opinion to try to put together timeline. There is "a good chance we can avoid surgery. ... If Al was standing here, he'd tell you he'd want to play this week. ... I'm hopeful that he'll be back. The timeframe just hasn't been established yet." Hopeful it won't be a couple of months.

http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/09/24/mccarthy-doesn-t-rule-out-harris-return-in-08.aspx

pbmax
09-24-2008, 03:32 PM
Attention Packer Organization:

Somewhat foolishly, I believe in sports organizations like you because its fun to root for and against other football fans and their teams. Occasionally, I forget its just a game and entertainment and I think the good qualities your organization represents reflect well on all its fans.

I know better, but its still fun when your rooting interest is doing well and doing the right thing. In the case of Al Harris, let me make one thing perfectly clear:

EDIT (Wow, I think that was my first quintuple negative) Please do not let the man play until your doctors think he is no longer at risk of injuring himself. I would rather Harris be mad at you and seek a release than to let the man continue to play while seriously hurt. Please no Shawne Merriman stunts, keep him out until he is as healthy as you would want a family member to be before they play.

Thank you.

Packer Pro Shop Customer

mmmdk
09-24-2008, 03:34 PM
Harris wants to play; that's admirable but he's gotta take care of the long haul - a healthy life with or without football.

But Harris could be Wolverine & I hope he can play but be smart about it which I think he is/will be.

texaspackerbacker
09-24-2008, 03:42 PM
They're calling it a "tear" rather than a "rupture" That would seem to imply less tissue damage--a good thing. Does anybody here have the medical expertize to know if the terminology difference is significant?

CaliforniaCheez
09-24-2008, 06:42 PM
They're calling it a "tear" rather than a "rupture" That would seem to imply less tissue damage--a good thing. Does anybody here have the medical expertize to know if the terminology difference is significant?

Rupture means deeper tissues injured than a tear. Rupture would imply that internal portions of the organ were forcibly ejected.

A surface tear still exposes portions of the organ to surrounding tissue but will heal on its own. The tear is not surgical so it is not that deep or large.

While they wait and see how it is healing for the next month or so they will not put him on IR. I think they really have until the time limit runs out on Harrell to make a decision.

What if Al is cleared to play before Christmas? Do you want him for the playoffs? What is the teams record while he is out? If a playoff run is unlikely there is less reason to keep him on the roster.

At this point they are keeping their options open while they check his healing rate.

Remember that old California Cheez quote. "Indecision is the key to flexibility."

cpk1994
09-24-2008, 06:55 PM

Rupture means deeper tissues injured than a tear. Rupture would imply that internal portions of the organ were forcibly ejected.

A surface tear still exposes portions of the organ to surrounding tissue but will heal on its own. The tear is not surgical so it is not that deep or large.

While they wait and see how it is healing for the next month or so they will not put him on IR. I think they really have until the time limit runs out on Harrell to make a decision. What if Al is cleared to play before Christmas? Do you want him for the playoffs? What is the teams record while he is out? If a playoff run is unlikely there is less reason to keep him on the roster.

At this point they are keeping their options open while they check his healing rate.

Remember that old California Cheez quote. "Indecision is the key to flexibility."Exactly, It's not likely they can find an adequate
replacement on the street so no rreason to rush Al to the IR just yet, especially knowing that they need to create a roster spot for Harrell later anyway.

MJZiggy
09-24-2008, 10:29 PM

Somewhat foolishly, I believe in sports organizations like you because its fun to root for and against other football fans and their teams. Occasionally, I forget its just a game and entertainment and I think the good qualities your organization represents reflect well on all its fans.

I know better, but its still fun when your rooting interest is doing well and doing the right thing. In the case of Al Harris, let me make one thing perfectly clear:

EDIT (Wow, I think that was my first quintuple negative) Please do not let the man play until your doctors think he is no longer at risk of injuring himself. I would rather Harris be mad at you and seek a release than to let the man continue to play while seriously hurt. Please no Shawne Merriman stunts, keep him out until he is as healthy as you would want a family member to be before they play.

Thank you.

Packer Pro Shop Customer

Seconded.

Tarlam!
09-25-2008, 12:04 AM

Seconded.

Thirded.

Harlan Huckleby
09-25-2008, 10:14 AM
GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Cornerback Al Harris has a "serious" spleen injury that requires a cautious approach, but he hasn't been ruled out for the rest of the season

something's wrong with this sentence