PDA

View Full Version : Getting a refund from credit card company

Partial
09-24-2008, 05:42 PM
So I bought a laptop battery that was listed as new, authentic and compatible with my GFs 12" powerbook. Turns out it is used, 3rd party, and not compatible with the laptop.

The company's return policy online says you have 7 days to return the product, but from googling them I see a long history of them screwing people over and not refunding, or only refunding ~50% of the purchase price of the product months and months later in the form of store credit. Their return policy says they will only give store credit - problem is I don't need another battery as I needed it urgently and just went and bought one after I got the shitty one - I couldn't afford to wait another week for another to arrive.

With that said, I have used the contact us form on the website numerous times and have not received a response. I went and looked up their phone number as it is not listed on the web page, called them, left a message asking for them to contact me back, to no avail.

Today I called my credit card company saying I am getting nowhere in this situation and that I want my money back. They said I had to submit a letter with the information involved in the transaction.

Have any of you ever done this? For one, i'm not sure what to write. Two, I'm worried I'm never going to see a penny back on a 70 dollar battery, because I did receive the product (albeit not as described at all), and their isn't an address to return it to on the website.

for what its worth, its a visa credit card. Do I have any hope of ever seeing my 70 dollars again?

red
09-24-2008, 05:46 PM
can you give a company name, so none of us ever have to do business with them

falco
09-24-2008, 06:11 PM
um....just cut and paste your thread i think that would do

or a similarly reasonable explanation of what happened

or an excerpt of your power rangers fan fiction you've been working on

:wink:

MadtownPacker
09-24-2008, 06:13 PM
Why do dumb Whiteys always get ripped off? I sure wish I was back in my ganking days. Could have had Partial buy my airplane ticket.

Im sure you can find a template online. but why didnt your sorry ass just buy one on eBay?

Scott Campbell
09-24-2008, 09:02 PM
So I bought a laptop battery that was listed as new, authentic and compatible with my GFs 12" powerbook. Turns out it is used, 3rd party, and not compatible with the laptop.

The company's return policy online says you have 7 days to return the product, but from googling them I see a long history of them screwing people over and not refunding, or only refunding ~50% of the purchase price of the product months and months later in the form of store credit. Their return policy says they will only give store credit - problem is I don't need another battery as I needed it urgently and just went and bought one after I got the shitty one - I couldn't afford to wait another week for another to arrive.

With that said, I have used the contact us form on the website numerous times and have not received a response. I went and looked up their phone number as it is not listed on the web page, called them, left a message asking for them to contact me back, to no avail.

Today I called my credit card company saying I am getting nowhere in this situation and that I want my money back. They said I had to submit a letter with the information involved in the transaction.

Have any of you ever done this? For one, i'm not sure what to write. Two, I'm worried I'm never going to see a penny back on a 70 dollar battery, because I did receive the product (albeit not as described at all), and their isn't an address to return it to on the website.

for what its worth, its a visa credit card. Do I have any hope of ever seeing my 70 dollars again?

I've done it before. Just dispute the charge. Put the onus on the company to prove they shipped you what they said they shipped you.

GBRulz
09-25-2008, 01:21 PM
I had to do this before, myself. Of course, it depends on the card issuer, but I filed a dispute form online and within 48 hrs the charges were reversed. You will probably have to list the dates and times of your attempts to contact the seller. They will also want to know the return policy.

I hope this was a credit card and not a debit card. It's a much different process and sometimes, you almost have like a deductible that they will take away from your refund.

retailguy
09-25-2008, 01:26 PM
Why do dumb Whiteys always get ripped off?

Because we keep trying to do business with Mexicans in California. When will we learn? :P

Scott Campbell
09-25-2008, 01:32 PM
So I bought a laptop battery that was listed as new.............Turns out it is used........

You do realize this is fraud. And if shipped across state lines, that opens up another can of worms for them. Next step would be to file a complaint with the State Attorney General's office in both WI and the state of origination. Le the credit card issuer and the merchant know that you've taken this step.