PDA

View Full Version : Shin Splints

Partial
06-22-2006, 12:09 PM
Anyone have any information on these? I have been playing a lot of sports lately and have just gotten ridiculous shin splints during and directly after the activity. I have been exercising daily so they probably haven't had the opportunity to heal correctly and I am just worried if there is any permanent damage I can do by fighting through the pain and keep exercising.

Bossman641
06-22-2006, 12:26 PM
I had them a couple years ago when I used to play basketball every day for 2-3 hours at a time. I don't think you can do any permanent damage, but they will continue to get worse if you keep exercising. The only cure is rest.

Partial
06-22-2006, 12:28 PM
well, the only hurt during the activities now. did yours hurt at all times? or just when exercising?

Bossman641
06-22-2006, 12:38 PM
well, the only hurt during the activities now. did yours hurt at all times? or just when exercising?

Pretty much just when playing and then for a little bit after I was done.

Deputy Nutz
06-22-2006, 01:15 PM
Remember to ice those bad boys down. It will relieve a lot of the pain afterwards.

I have known guys that try to tape them a certain way and all, but forget that. Doing a little stretching may help, but like said before, rest is the best.

red
06-22-2006, 02:10 PM
i had em, bad. they ruined my track career

mine started in jr. high, they just taped em, and that worked for me that first year. they would tape your leg real tight right below the calf

my freshman year of high school i just had to live with them

sophmore year i started on the pills, anaprox. and they worked damn good for awhile

jr. year i was icing for an hour before each meet and still taking the pills

by my senior year they got so bad that i was icing for 1-2 hours each day before meets, taking the pills, and taking 4 or 5 advil to dull the pain. i didn't want to take all that crap every day, so i only did it on meet days. needless to say, practices sucked hard, and i really couldn't go all out, or really do anything at the end of the year.

since then i stopped running, and the splints have gone away, they do come back a bit if i start jogging everyday for weeks or a month, but nothing bad like i use to have

bossman is right, the best thing is rest, and ice. then try the advil, then go to the DR. and get some good shit

jack's smirking revenge
06-22-2006, 02:23 PM
I suggest you hit the ganja. It cures pretty much everything. The side effect is that you probably won't want to be as active as you are, but, heck, it'll cure your pain problem.

:mrgreen:

tyler

oregonpackfan
06-23-2006, 10:44 PM
I used to get them when I ran 40 miles+ a week. The icing and Ibuprophen helped but did not get rid of them.

Upon a podiatrist's advice, I purchased quality orthotics. They helped tremedously. Ten years ago, I switched to "Motion Control" running shoes in addition to wearilng orthotics. Basically, "Motion Control" shoes provide more padding and are heavier than most shoes.

Since that time, I have not had any problems with shin splints.

Oregonpackfan