PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 Reasons GB Can Only Improve the Rest of the Year...

SnakeLH2006
09-25-2008, 01:22 AM
After that tough Dallas loss I thought we needed a positive perspective on what we have to look forward to on our march to the Super Bowl:

1) Arod will only get better with more experience.
2) The Dallas loss showed GB our weaknesses (suspect O-line, lack of instant pass rush, shoddy DT play, etc.) that we can work on in the last 13 games. Personally, I'd rather it be week 3, then week 12....at least we get a wake up call early.
3) C. Wood is a beast and will be better when his injury subsides. (He may be our MVP right now, kinda the CC of the Northern Crew). Also, talking about DB's, I'll throw Bigby and Rouse up in this too (as they are hitters when healthy and it really hurt our run D with those guys out or subpar).
4) The A. Harris loss was tough, but we need to know what we have with our young CB's (have to learn to do without Al as he's old and declining anyway...good luck Al in your recovery). And hey, if he returns late this year and we are playing well, that is gravy for talent and in the fact we got those young DB's some experience in big games.
5) The O-line has been inconsistent. Tauch has been getting toasted lately, yet they can only go up from here.
6) Grant hopefully is healthy soon. Give Lumpy some touches (yea, it sounded bad)!!
7) We ARE the youngest team in the NFL again. Only get better from here on out.
8) Cullens and Kampy have been great, but getting KGB healthy will free up more of a pass rush.
9) Punter Frost has been inconsistent but pretty good on situational punting. Only up from there.
10) We are in the NFC Central. Chicago will be average. Detroit is in upheaval. And well Minny has Frerotte so nobody will be advancing on us this year in our division. I mean hey...like Minny has alternatives?? http://www.break.com/pictures/throwing-instructions577318.html

Post your own or critique, yet I think we are headed to a 11-5 or 12 win season as that Dallas game was shitty, yet Dallas is pretty damn good every year early. We'll be a better team come playoff time. Go Pack!

mission
09-25-2008, 02:10 AM
I agree with you ... brought everyone down to reality a bit, will definitely make us push to get a lot better. 11-5 i think is a real accurate mark ... lots of things factoring into that but thought-out post I think ...

If you can improve as a poster, the Packers can improve as a team!

Looking good! :D

SnakeLH2006
09-25-2008, 02:29 AM
I agree with you ... brought everyone down to reality a bit, will definitely make us push to get a lot better. 11-5 i think is a real accurate mark ... lots of things factoring into that but thought-out post I think ...

If you can improve as a poster, the Packers can improve as a team!

Looking good! :D

Well I'm glad I got your vote I think. :shock: But yea, 11-5 is doable. We are all Pack fans Mission. Bottom line. :?

channtheman
09-25-2008, 02:49 AM
Pretty much agree with everything you said. Besides, it's not like Dallas is a bad football team. Many people have them as the best team in football right now. No shame losing to them.

I do think that us being the youngest team in football is very exciting. We just need to find suitable replacements for Al and Charles and I think we are set for at least the next 5 years. T. Williams looks to be able to fill the spot of Al at for this year and when we need to replace Woodson hopefully Blackmon or the guy we drafted (Pat Lee?) can step up. They should all get some good playing time this year with Harris out.

SnakeLH2006
09-25-2008, 02:55 AM
Pretty much agree with everything you said. Besides, it's not like Dallas is a bad football team. Many people have them as the best team in football right now. No shame losing to them.

I do think that us being the youngest team in football is very exciting. We just need to find suitable replacements for Al and Charles and I think we are set for at least the next 5 years. T. Williams looks to be able to fill the spot of Al at for this year and when we need to replace Woodson hopefully Blackmon or the guy we drafted (Pat Lee?) can step up. They should all get some good playing time this year with Harris out.

Smart man.

Pretty much yes. I didn't want to see Al go out, yet early in the season it's not that bad. We got a test of prob. the best team in the NFL right now.

Being able to look at our backups at DB is key, it's not like they would get a chance with Al and Wood. Although, I've been backing Wood for years now as our best DB, just showed as much in that DET game and in shutting down/running around/yet sitll shutting down TO. We are fine...most NFL teams have 1 good, much less a great WR. Wood should have been the top corner for shutdowns since we got him if I was the coach.. Al is good, but Wood has NEVER failed in any aspect. I have faith in my WOOD. :lol:

oregonpackfan
09-25-2008, 10:07 AM
I agree with your 10 ideas. The season is still very early with just 3 games played. There is plenty of time for improvement.

I still have faith the Packers will win the NFC-North and win at least one playoff game. They still, however, have a long way to go to be considered a Super Bowl contender.

texaspackerbacker
09-26-2008, 09:27 AM
I, too, agree with pretty much all you said. I say again, there's no reason whatsoever that the Packers wouldn't be favored to win each and every game remaining--although that would be a small miracle, and slipping up a time or two is more likely.

On the negative side, more injuries could happen--like the injury ruined '05 season.

Also, Rodgers could be on an adrenalin high, and come down to earth--but I doubt that.

And I don't think it's automatic that Minnesota will be a flop with Frerotte. He has been sporadically good over the years, and it wouldn't take much with the talent around him.

Kyle.McCarroll
09-26-2008, 10:03 AM
9) Punter Frost has been inconsistent but pretty good on situational punting. Only up from there.

Don't quite understand how we can only go up from there. Frost has a 47.4 AVG. That's not that bad.

Cutting Frost and signing Jon Ryan again would not be "going up" IMO.

SnakeLH2006
09-27-2008, 11:35 PM

Don't quite understand how we can only go up from there. Frost has a 47.4 AVG. That's not that bad.

Averages are misleading as he had some real bad hangtimes in the first 3 games overall. JSOnline posted the stats but I don't remember the link. Also, he botched that endzone punt that could have been huge. Overall he's doing ok, but there are ways he can be better. Did we not waive Ryan because of his inconsistent punt times and a few botched punts? Yep. Same problem here thus far, but Frost seems to have a much better grasp of directional punting, thus the tag "only up from there."

bobblehead
09-28-2008, 10:15 AM
What the hell I'll be the one to say it....Justin Harrell will be back and help give our interior DL some rest with quality minutes. (flame away).

MJZiggy
09-28-2008, 05:47 PM
What the hell I'll be the one to say it....Justin Harrell will be back and help give our interior DL some rest with quality minutes. (flame away).

Who's flaming, at this point they need all the help they can get.

Pugger
09-28-2008, 05:52 PM
What a frustrating game! :x Sloppy play all over. Cliffy had one of his poorest games in eons, the O line is still out of sync, Rodgers got clobbered all afternoon and Lord knows if he's gonna be okay :shock: tackling was shoddy at times, we didn't get any help from the zebras a few times and Grant is still rusty as h3ll. You can't go on the road and turn the ball over and win. It was a miracle Tampa won the way Griese throws picks. :?

packerbacker1234
09-28-2008, 05:53 PM

Averages are misleading as he had some real bad hangtimes in the first 3 games overall. JSOnline posted the stats but I don't remember the link. Also, he botched that endzone punt that could have been huge. Overall he's doing ok, but there are ways he can be better. Did we not waive Ryan because of his inconsistent punt times and a few botched punts? Yep. Same problem here thus far, but Frost seems to have a much better grasp of directional punting, thus the tag "only up from there."

Frost had a nice 28 yard punt today... the needed to be like at least 15 yards more.

Besides that... I wont agree with this. Ryan has been showing signs in training camp and preseason of getting consistent, and one thing we could of used today on one punt is one of those nice 60 yard, heck, 70 yard boomers that I have only seen Ryan give us. On top of that - Ryan was built. he didn't take it easy in the weight room just because he was a kicker. The guy made some special teams tackles - and ran for a first down breaking, what, three tackles?

Just saying, Ryan would of been a better option for this team then Frost to start the year. Nothing against Frost - but he hasn't shown me any reason to want him over what we had.

Bretsky
09-28-2008, 06:00 PM
I'm fine with Frost

What we had in Ryan was an inconsistent below average punter who could occasionally boom one but was lousy with putting the ball inside the 20

We got somebody with less power on his leg who was more consistent and more effective at putting other teams inside the 20.

It's hard for me to criticize TT for making this move; they were obviously unhappy with Ryan and scouting several punters that they knew might be released

packerbacker1234
09-28-2008, 06:01 PM
I'm fine with Frost

What we had in Ryan was an inconsistent below average punter who could occasionally boom one but was lousy with putting the ball inside the 20

We got somebody with less power on his leg who was more consistent and more effective at putting other teams inside the 20.

It's hard for me to criticize TT for making this move; they were obviously unhappy with Ryan and scouting several punters that they knew might be released

Well, punting so far isn't the reason we have lost the last two games - so it's technically hard to complain. I just don';t think Ryan would of done any worse so far.