PDA

View Full Version : Rodgers signing a new deal? Contract Details

SnakeLH2006
09-25-2008, 03:36 AM
Surprise, surprise
Rodgers said he was half asleep watching the television Sunday morning when an ESPN report flashed that negotiations on a new contract for Rodgers had begun and would probably be completed during the bye week.

"I saw it on the bottom (crawl) line," Rodgers said. "I was with my neighbor, and I go, 'Did you see it?' And he said, 'Yeah.' It was news to me."

Rodgers said he has no knowledge of any talks taking place.

"I know it didn't come from my side."

I won't say where it's from (wink wink) but a good source.

Personally, good shit though, as Arod looks to want to be a Packer player.

Estimates on a deal? 4-6 years easily...

Arod right now gets much less then the Romo deal as he's done nothing compared to Romo going 11-2 when he signed. I love Arod but TT is smart too.

If this is true and and I can't directly quote the source:

My guess is 4 years 28 million. Thoughts?? I'm a HUGE JSONLINE fan, just can't post links. :lol:

Partial
09-25-2008, 08:36 AM
I think it's a decent idea to sign him for 4 years now. TT is smart and will make sure shawty gets paid if he performs, and we can cut him if he gets hurt or sucks. At first, my initial thought was WTH is TT smoking? But then, the more I thought of it the more I liked it.

Anybody else thinks Kampy gets re-upped before year's end as well? I sure do.

Scott Campbell
09-25-2008, 09:02 AM
Through 3 games he looks like he's worth locking up. Though Derek Anderson looked like he was worth locking up too, based on 16 games last year.

BF4MVP
09-25-2008, 09:24 AM
Yeah I saw something about it on ESPN, but when I turned it on, Mort was pretty much done talking about it. Locking A-Rod up is logical. Hopefully they can get a deal done soon. Jennings, too.

oregonpackfan
09-25-2008, 11:18 AM
Though Rodgers has been impressive his first three games, it is way to early to be talking about contract extension, IMO.

From the article, it appears the alleged sources lack credibility.

LL2
09-25-2008, 12:02 PM
Though Rodgers has been impressive his first three games, it is way to early to be talking about contract extension, IMO.

I agree, and if I was Rodgers I'd wait. 4 yrs/ 28 mil will make him feel short changed in a couple years. If he plays lights out the next couple years he could get $12 mil a year easily.

Tony Oday
09-25-2008, 12:14 PM

I agree, and if I was Rodgers I'd wait. 4 yrs/ 28 mil will make him feel short changed in a couple years. If he plays lights out the next couple years he could get $12 mil a year easily.

F it the way contracts are honored these days sign him for that and if he exceedes just redo it.

pbmax
09-25-2008, 12:53 PM
He has a new agent and that new agent doesn't make a dime until there is a new contract. This was inevitable, at least by next training camp.

MadtownPacker
09-25-2008, 01:55 PM
I dont see why this shouldn't wait. Way too fast after 3 games. He got his chance with the steering wheel and at the end of season show him what he deserves even if that is Romo type money. Probably a big part of what TT is holding all his chips for. It wouldn't be right with so many other players who have been on the field longer waiting for their payday.

cpk1994
09-25-2008, 05:51 PM
I dont see why this shouldn't wait. Way too fast after 3 games. He got his chance with the steering wheel and at the end of season show him what he deserves even if that is Romo type money. Probably a big part of what TT is holding all his chips for. It wouldn't be right with so many other players who have been on the field longer waiting for their payday.Will you say that after nine games? After all, most didn't object to loudly to Grant geting paid after only playing 9 games. ARod should get the same treatment.

Pacopete4
09-25-2008, 05:54 PM
I dont see why this shouldn't wait. Way too fast after 3 games. He got his chance with the steering wheel and at the end of season show him what he deserves even if that is Romo type money. Probably a big part of what TT is holding all his chips for. It wouldn't be right with so many other players who have been on the field longer waiting for their payday.Will you say that after nine games? After all, most didn't object to loudly to Grant geting paid after only playing 9 games. ARod should get the same treatment.

I do.. I have a big problem with paying QB's before they do anything.

See: Derek Anderson

bobblehead
09-25-2008, 06:48 PM

I do.. I have a big problem with paying QB's before they do anything.

See: Derek Anderson

People are such hypocrites...I was against giving grant a big deal at that point and I'm still against giving arod a huge deal until the offseason. Guys playing a few good games and getting big contracts is half of whats wrong in the NFL today....the cowboys are the other half.

MadtownPacker
09-25-2008, 08:27 PM
Will you say that after nine games? After all, most didn't object to loudly to Grant geting paid after only playing 9 games. ARod should get the same treatment.If you actually read what I said it applies to AFTER NINE games or more if they make the playoffs. If I was ARod I might want to wait too. The money he missed when he wasnt drafted #1 is waiting across the horizon of this season.

I objected to Grant getting paid now. Just search my username with the word "grant". I imagine some of the players would not like it either.

pbmax
09-25-2008, 08:49 PM
People are such hypocrites...I was against giving grant a big deal at that point and I'm still against giving arod a huge deal until the offseason. Guys playing a few good games and getting big contracts is half of whats wrong in the NFL today....the cowboys are the other half.
NFL contracts are not guaranteed. The dead money problem that some teams have is largely a function of how they structure the deal to minimize the short term cap hit. In the Packer's case, Grants deal is not for huge money by RB standards. $4 mil per year for 2 years is just over average. And that number represents the total risk to the Packers on Grant's deal, because the Packers didn't need to hide bonus money to lower the cap hit.

A new Rodgers deal could easily be structured the same way. The question of timing is separate. Mad is right about waiting for at least a few more games. The Packers may not have seen enough if Rodgers demands are high. Rodgers might get more if he waits and plays well.

But there are two reasons to do it before the end of the season. We are sitting unded the cap by a large amount. Rodger's guaranteed money could be covered by the cap excess this year. Leaving the Packers with little risk if he doesn't pan out in the next couple of years. The second reason is that Rodgers new agent is currently working for free.

Kyle.McCarroll
09-25-2008, 09:06 PM
Through 3 games he looks like he's worth locking up. Though Derek Anderson looked like he was worth locking up too, based on 16 games last year.

Derek Anderson threw 19 INT's last year. That wasn't worth locking up.

Why wouldn't they wait til the off-season for this? Airin' should be focused on winning games right now, not contract numbers.

bobblehead
09-25-2008, 10:13 PM
NFL contracts are not guaranteed. The dead money problem that some teams have is largely a function of how they structure the deal to minimize the short term cap hit. In the Packer's case, Grants deal is not for huge money by RB standards. $4 mil per year for 2 years is just over average. And that number represents the total risk to the Packers on Grant's deal, because the Packers didn't need to hide bonus money to lower the cap hit.

A new Rodgers deal could easily be structured the same way. The question of timing is separate. Mad is right about waiting for at least a few more games. The Packers may not have seen enough if Rodgers demands are high. Rodgers might get more if he waits and plays well.

But there are two reasons to do it before the end of the season. We are sitting unded the cap by a large amount. Rodger's guaranteed money could be covered by the cap excess this year. Leaving the Packers with little risk if he doesn't pan out in the next couple of years. The second reason is that Rodgers new agent is currently working for free.

When i read the grant contract I remember seeing about 11 million over the first 2 seasons. Considering neither of those had a chance to be free agent seasons I can't see where the packers came out good.

pbmax
09-25-2008, 10:44 PM
When i read the grant contract I remember seeing about 11 million over the first 2 seasons. Considering neither of those had a chance to be free agent seasons I can't see where the packers came out good.

8/5/2008: Signed a four-year, $20 million contract. The deal included an initial roster bonus of $3.5 million. Another $10 million is available through incentives. Grant can get annual $250,000 workout bonuses starting in 2009. If he rushes for 1,000 yards, he gets $500,000 added to his base pay the subsequent year. If he rushes for 1,250 yards, he earns an additional $1.5 million. If he rushes for 1,500+ yards, he earns $2.5 million more. 2008: $750,000 (+ $500,000 roster bonus), 2009: $750,000 (+ $2.75 million roster bonus due in March + $500,000 roster bonus), 2010: $3 million (+ $1.25 million roster bonus due in March + $500,000 roster bonus), 2011: $3.5 million (+ $1.75 million roster bonus due in March + $500,000 roster bonus), 2012: Free Agent. Cap charge: $4.75 million (2008).
First two years if he doesn't hit incentive of 1,000 yards in 2008:
2008 Roster Bonus #3.5 mil, 2008 Roster Bonus $500,000 (if active for each game), 2008 Salary $750,000, 2009 Roster Bonus 2.75 mil, 2009 Salary $750,000 base salary, 2009 Roster Bonus $500,000 (if active for all games, 2009 Workout Bonus $250,000

So if Grant plays poorly, but is on the roster, over two years he gets $9 million. That is active for every game and a workout bonus for offseason of 2009. He can be cut after season two with virtually no cap hit.

According to all the numbers I just saw, they might be able to cut him NOW for no cap hit in 2009. But I seem to remember that one or two of those larger roster bonuses might have been guaranteed. Either way, a pretty average investment in a back who is likely to be better than average.

Partial
09-26-2008, 12:36 AM

Why? Grand outperformed his contract by a SIGNIFICANT margin. A-Rod has been paid very, very well. 10-20x what Grant was making. Huge difference.

Personally, I'd lock him up to an incentive based deal so if he keeps up his performance he gets paid, and if he slips big time when our talent level drops off we can dump him.

texaspackerbacker
09-26-2008, 10:18 AM
Some rumors you hear/read them, and you just say, hell no. That ain't the Packer way/that ain't the Ted Thompson way.

Well, this one ain't like that. This rumor really IS the way the Packers do things--do the deal early in the game for significantly less money. I was for it with Grant--I still think that will prove to be a great deal, and I would be for a similar Rodgers deal.

Somebody said that Rodgers would be better off waiting until the end of his contract or at least the end of this season when maybe he could command a lot more money. That's true, but then HE would be the one taking the risk of severe injury or just mediocre performance. He could also be worth a lot less by then if the situation goes the other way.

The Thompson way is for the team to assume that risk, and to sign the guy sooner rather than later for a lot less money. I like it that way.

bobblehead
09-26-2008, 01:57 PM

Why? Grand outperformed his contract by a SIGNIFICANT margin. A-Rod has been paid very, very well. 10-20x what Grant was making. Huge difference.

Personally, I'd lock him up to an incentive based deal so if he keeps up his performance he gets paid, and if he slips big time when our talent level drops off we can dump him.

I would say rodgers at this point has been at least as deserving of a big deal as grant....but i am not for giving anyone a significant deal until they put together one good season, take an offseason and put together 8 more games. I have seen too many guys put together a good season and come back the next year and make you wonder how they hell they did it. At least rodgers has put together a few preseasons, a regular season game last year and 3 more this year....better than 9 good games imo.

RashanGary
09-26-2008, 03:26 PM
After this year, if he performs like he has so far for the rest of the season, I'd say he's worth a deal similar to Romo's. I think Romo's the better player right now and worth more, but Romo signed a team friendly deal and Rodgers has a year and a half of NFL inflation to account for.

]{ilr]3
09-26-2008, 04:12 PM
I think Romo's the better player right now and worth more, but Romo signed a team friendly deal

I dont. Even though we lost to the Cowboys, all through the game I was watching and comparing Rodgers to Romo. Romo is an average QB (at best) on a great team. Rodgers appears to me to be a young, better than average QB on a young, better than average team.

I think Romo knows where he stacks up against the rest of the league. Thats why he took what he did when he renegotiated his contract.

RashanGary
09-26-2008, 05:49 PM
Rodgers might turn out better and Romo might be overrated. Right now, I'm extatic with how Rodgers is playing. I sip the TT Koolaid quite often, but with Rodgers I was going to have to see it to believe it. I'm still in that stage. Rodgers has to keep playing well and keep progressing. If he finishes the year really strong I'll start comparing the two. Right now Romo has proven a lot more but I'm certainly open to the possiblity that Rodgers is the better QB.

MadtownPacker
09-26-2008, 09:00 PM
JH is on the money. I already said last week that ARod is more talented than Romo and last Sundays night's game reinforced that belief. Romo had forever to throw for a large part of the game. Rodgers didn't but statistically they where pretty much tied. But if you switch them places Im betting that changes drastically.

Partial
09-26-2008, 10:20 PM
{ilr]3]
I think Romo's the better player right now and worth more, but Romo signed a team friendly deal

I dont. Even though we lost to the Cowboys, all through the game I was watching and comparing Rodgers to Romo. Romo is an average QB (at best) on a great team. Rodgers appears to me to be a young, better than average QB on a young, better than average team.

I think Romo knows where he stacks up against the rest of the league. Thats why he took what he did when he renegotiated his contract.

11.3+ mil per year isn't too shabby for a quarterback.

Romo took the deal because he was an undrafted FA who needed some injury insurance.

Romo is miles ahead of Rodgers at this point.

Kyle.McCarroll
09-27-2008, 09:15 AM

I would say it's more like kilometers. :D

MadtownPacker
09-27-2008, 09:24 AM

I would say it's more like kilometers. :DI would say more like a few cup sizes cuz the only thing Romo has better than Rodgers right now is Jessica Simpson's rack but I have faith that ARod is working on that.

Kyle.McCarroll
09-27-2008, 09:32 AM

I would say it's more like kilometers. :DI would say more like a few cup sizes cuz the only thing Romo has better than Rodgers right now is Jessica Simpson's rack but I have faith that ARod is working on that.

A-Rod is a pimp. He probably just don't let his come to the games. He's got control of his women.

bobblehead
09-27-2008, 03:35 PM
{ilr]3]

Romo took the deal because he was an undrafted FA who needed some injury insurance.

I'll see your ridiculous statement and raise you one Romo red zone interception....how many of those has arod thrown??

Pacopete4
09-27-2008, 03:38 PM
please tell we are not putting Arod in Romo's class right now.... i know we're packer fans and we back him, but don't get foolish

Partial
09-27-2008, 04:09 PM
{ilr]3]

I'll see your ridiculous statement and raise you one Romo red zone interception....how many of those has arod thrown??

How many touchdowns did Romo's team score against the Pack? How many did A-rod lead his team to scoring that weren't in garbage time?!? Case closed. Great quarterbacks win. Period.

I don't understand whats so ridiculous? He had two years left on his deal I believe... Got re-upped a hearty amount, has a hot lady, and is on top of the world.

Pacopete4
09-27-2008, 04:38 PM
all I know is id take Romo over Arod in a heart beat right now...

boiga
09-27-2008, 04:55 PM
Leroy Butler calls Rodgers a "much better" quarterback than Romo too. Read the last answer here: http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=797644

He says that Romo can get his team out of bad situations, but his mistakes often lead to those bad situations. According to Butler, Rodgers has better mobility, can make some throws better, and makes fewer mistakes.

Pacopete4
09-27-2008, 05:46 PM
Leroy Butler calls Rodgers a "much better" quarterback than Romo too. Read the last answer here: http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=797644

He says that Romo can get his team out of bad situations, but his mistakes often lead to those bad situations. According to Butler, Rodgers has better mobility, can make some throws better, and makes fewer mistakes.

i dont give a rats ass what butler says, he was a packer and works for the packers...

the point is Romo is probably the best QB in the game right now and his stats tell u that story...

throwing no tds and no ints tells me we have kyle orton project...

he arod grow some nuts and go win a tough game, quit being scared of makin a mistake

thats what i wanna see outta him, and dont fire back at me about favre cuz it has absolutely nothing to do with it.. ill say the same thing in 20 years about our qb then... show some fire, go win a game... take a chance, make something happen... all things i have NOT seen yet

BallHawk
09-27-2008, 05:56 PM
If Eli Manning can win the Super Bowl for his team at QB then Aaron Rodgers certainly can.

Apparently if a QB uses a series of short passes he's not as good as a QB that chucks long bombs all day. :roll:

Kyle.McCarroll
09-27-2008, 05:58 PM

i dont give a rats ass what butler says, he was a packer and works for the packers...

the point is Romo is probably the best QB in the game right now and his stats tell u that story...

he arod grow some nuts and go win a tough game, quit being scared of makin a mistake

thats what i wanna see outta him, and dont fire back at me about favre cuz it has absolutely nothing to do with it.. ill say the same thing in 20 years about our qb then... show some fire, go win a game... take a chance, make something happen... all things i have NOT seen yet

Win a game? He's done that twice already. The Dallas game he was running for his life. What do you expect him to do? Heave a prayer aimlessly into triple coverage and hope for the best? Because I've seen enough of that.

Oh and I could think of at least two QB's that are head and shoulders better than Tony Romo.

bobblehead
09-27-2008, 06:02 PM
{ilr]3]

How many touchdowns did Romo's team score against the Pack? How many did A-rod lead his team to scoring that weren't in garbage time?!? Case closed. Great quarterbacks win. Period.

I don't understand whats so ridiculous? He had two years left on his deal I believe... Got re-upped a hearty amount, has a hot lady, and is on top of the world.

I don't want to extend arod yet, but the statement that romo is MILES ahead right now is way off..romo is slightly ahead because he has started longer, but I really don't think its by much. Saying romo's TEAM scored more TD's than arods is silly....is matt cassell better than brett favre?? CASE CLOSED!!!

bobblehead
09-27-2008, 06:04 PM

Sooo...if butler, who played the game at a high level can't be trusted than who can we trust??

Pacopete4
09-27-2008, 06:05 PM
{ilr]3]

I don't want to extend arod yet, but the statement that romo is MILES ahead right now is way off..romo is slightly ahead because he has started longer, but I really don't think its by much. Saying romo's TEAM scored more TD's than arods is silly....is matt cassell better than brett favre?? CASE CLOSED!!!\

romo better than arod... case closed

BallHawk
09-27-2008, 06:11 PM
I don't want to extend arod yet, but the statement that romo is MILES ahead right now is way off..romo is slightly ahead because he has started longer, but I really don't think its by much. Saying romo's TEAM scored more TD's than arods is silly....is matt cassell better than brett favre?? CASE CLOSED!!!\

Way to argue a point that he's agreeing with you on. :roll:

Pacopete4
09-27-2008, 06:12 PM

Way to argue a point that he's agreeing with you on. :roll:

wasnt arguing...

just stating the obvious

TheCheese
09-27-2008, 06:58 PM

Oh you are pissing me the fuck off. Do you realize its his third start? Seriously do you fucking realize this? Rodgers played about as well as anyone could play in that game and you're fucking crying because we don't have Favre. Don't even try to say that's not what this is about.

Tell ya what lets look at Favre's third start and see how well he did.

@ CLE L 6-17 1 1 20 33 60.6 223 6.8 0 0 2 15 80.7 6 28 4.7 0 1 0

Wow, looks a lot like of dinking and dunking to me. Damn why couldnt Favre have some fire in him and take some chances to try to win that game. Geez no TDs or no INTs, wow what an average player. See how stupid that is? Really, see how fucking ridiculous you are being? Now look at Rodgers stats vs Dallas.

DAL L 16-27 1 1 22 39 56.4 290 7.4 0 0 5 40 80.1 5 10 2.0 1 1 0

Very similar wouldn't you say? Try to have some scope with your perception on how things work. Have some fucking patience, stop bitching about not having Favre, let it go, and stop complaining all the fucking time and enjoy your team.

Trying to help you out, because you really are coming off like a little prick.

Kyle.McCarroll
09-27-2008, 08:03 PM
I can't wait to see the response to that ^^^.

pbmax
09-27-2008, 08:57 PM
I am not even sure the Cowboys would call Romo the best QB in the game right now. And I am pretty sure Phillip Rivers' stats look even better. And Drew Brees'. And Jay Cutler. And JT O'Sullivan.

Paco, you may eventually have a point about Rodgers, no one knows yet how this will turn out. But elevating Romo to that level isn't realistic.

SnakeLH2006
09-28-2008, 12:07 AM
Ok...this thread is getting off kilter a bit. The reason I made this topic was about Arod's "potential" of signing a new deal.

My thoughts:

Right now, Romo is the better QB and a top 5 NFL QB. He's won a ton of games, had gaudy stats, and is a very good QB.

Right now, Arod has 3 starts. He's had good stats, but less than a killer instinct to make plays at times (Dallas game). Don't flame and hear me out.

Both QB's right now are prob. top 10 qb's as the NFL is very saturated. Hypothetically, Arod could just flat out bust (but the prob. of that are very slim IMO).

I think Arod will be great as I'm mildly surprised and happy he's done well so far. He hasn't come close to losing a game by himself and throws at a high % with good decisions, but his only flaw SO FAR I've seen is the inability to make a play out of nothing when there is nothing else to lose (down major points....need TD's).

I think he only gets better and Romo was a great QB without a lot of experience either who cashed in early with one of the biggest contracts in NFL history (prob. top 15 EVER regardless of position).

The question is do we lock up Arod for a VERY respectable 4 years 28 million (peanuts for starting QB's) or ride it out then have his new agent says "hey give us 12 million a year after this year or wait till Unrestricted FA." I say sign him now if they (M3, TT, etc) are as high on him as we think...and I like him. What other options do we have? Brohm won't do shit for years based on the preseason and there are NEVER any good FA QB's....and the 2009/2010 draft??? HHAAHHAHAHAA..

Bottom line to get back to the details at hand.

Lock him up now for a fair deal. If he sucks, cut him and move on as we have the cap space, but that will not happen. Arod will be at least as good as Romo based on his time served and the bit we've seen him thus far.

Do it TT!

wist43
09-28-2008, 07:37 AM
Hey everybody... long time, no see :)

You guys still wildly optimistic I see, lol...

Still don't see it with Rodgers... the NFC is junk this year, and the North is putrid, so the Packers may make the playoffs, but they'll never win a SB with Rodgers under center, and that's always been my point, it's all about the SB.

That said, Rodgers has amazed me by staying on the field for 3 entire games... granted MM protects him to the point of harming the teams chances of winning, but still, Fragile Aaron is still upright... a feat in and of itself :)

Hope everyone has been having a good time on here... I'm still bogged down with domestic stuff, but things are finally shaking out :)

I'll be checking in a little more often I hope, so I hope to argue with some of you as the season wears on. :)

Joemailman
09-28-2008, 08:42 AM
Welcome back Wist! I was afraid you'd become a Jets fan or something. :wink: I keep remembering that Trent Dilfer has a Super Bowl ring, so I'm inclined to think that Arod has a chance to lead this team to a Super Bowl.

The next 6 weeks or so will tell a lot about Arod. This is really the tough part of their schedule.

wist43
09-28-2008, 09:19 AM
Dilfer has kind of always been my point... useless QB along for the ride.

Power running, power defense... the Packers run neither, hence they need a HOF/All-Pro calibur QB. Rodgers ain't that.

The Cowboys are built the way I want the Packers to be built... hate finesse football in general, but if you have the QB you can win championships with it.

The Packers don't have the QB to pull it off, so to me, they're just wasting years... still, I want them to win.

I haven't watched much football in the last couple of years, but am going to try to get back into it :)

pbmax
09-28-2008, 09:36 AM
Hey everybody... long time, so see :)
wist, its good to hear from you again. I hope everything shakes out for the better.

But pay closer attention to the AFC this weekend. The NFC looks much better so far. Manning shaking off the rust and Harrison returning to form might tip the balance, but the AFC is dreadful across the board with possible but troubled exceptions in Pittsburgh, Indy and San Diego.

As for max protect scheme, McCarthy has gone this route before with Favre as well. When he was unsure of the line in his first year with the new guards.

Hopefully he returns to the passing formations and mixes it up with Wells starting and Moll back out. But even then, I think much of the max protect against the Cowboys was fear of the Cowboys pass rush, not scheme.

pbmax
09-28-2008, 09:38 AM
As for Snake putting us back on topic, I think if they are convinced Rodgers can do what they thought he can do, then they should do a longer term deal now. If he continues to rack up this kind of statistical year, the price isn't going down.

If they think this is the QB they hoped he would be.

bobblehead
09-28-2008, 09:51 AM
Ok...this thread is getting off kilter a bit. The reason I made this topic was about Arod's "potential" of signing a new deal.

My thoughts:

Right now, Romo is the better QB and a top 5 NFL QB. He's won a ton of games, had gaudy stats, and is a very good QB.

Right now, Arod has 3 starts. He's had good stats, but less than a killer instinct to make plays at times (Dallas game). Don't flame and hear me out.

Both QB's right now are prob. top 10 qb's as the NFL is very saturated. Hypothetically, Arod could just flat out bust (but the prob. of that are very slim IMO).

I think Arod will be great as I'm mildly surprised and happy he's done well so far. He hasn't come close to losing a game by himself and throws at a high % with good decisions, but his only flaw SO FAR I've seen is the inability to make a play out of nothing when there is nothing else to lose (down major points....need TD's).

I think he only gets better and Romo was a great QB without a lot of experience either who cashed in early with one of the biggest contracts in NFL history (prob. top 15 EVER regardless of position).

The question is do we lock up Arod for a VERY respectable 4 years 28 million (peanuts for starting QB's) or ride it out then have his new agent says "hey give us 12 million a year after this year or wait till Unrestricted FA." I say sign him now if they (M3, TT, etc) are as high on him as we think...and I like him. What other options do we have? Brohm won't do shit for years based on the preseason and there are NEVER any good FA QB's....and the 2009/2010 draft??? HHAAHHAHAHAA..

Bottom line to get back to the details at hand.

Lock him up now for a fair deal. If he sucks, cut him and move on as we have the cap space, but that will not happen. Arod will be at least as good as Romo based on his time served and the bit we've seen him thus far.

Do it TT!
I can't see ARod signing 4/28....not when grant just got incentive based 4/40....devin fucking hester got 4/40. I think even at this early stage it will take 7/70 and that will be a bargain with a raising cap. I'd rather wait out the season, see him do it all year long and give him 7/84 at the end of a big year. He is going to command a 10million signing bonus either way and I'd like to be pretty damn sure the defenses don't catch up with him before shelling out that coin.