PDA

View Full Version : Racist Act at Oregon Christian College

oregonpackfan
09-25-2008, 09:37 AM
Yesterday, a life-sized cutout of Barack Obama was found hanging by by fishing line from a tree on George Fox College in Newberg, OR. A sign taped to the cutout said, "Act Six reject". The sign refers to a scholarship to recruit 17 minority students of color from Portland. The name comes from the sixth chapter of the Book of Acts in the bible.

George Fox is a Christian college of about 3,300 located in the western Oregon city of Newberg. It is just 10 miles from my home in Sherwood.

Originally a Quaker school, George Fox has shifted to becoming a conservative, Evangelical Christian college in recent years.

This incident has upset many Oregonians as it appears to target both Barack Obama, an African-American presidential candidate, and students of color at George Fox college.

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf/2008/09/racial_incident_rattles_george.html

packinpatland
09-25-2008, 09:42 AM
It scares me too.

HowardRoark
09-25-2008, 10:03 AM
Any and all acts of racism are wrong.

If I can be so brazen as to use the word "wrong."

Zool
09-25-2008, 10:06 AM
Any and all acts of racism are wrong.

If I can be so brazen as to use the word "wrong."

I would say wrong is about accurate. Ungood is another way to say it. Problem is you can't fight stupid. It has always been around and it will always be around.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-25-2008, 02:26 PM
Poor Obama, had to attend his backup school. I'm sure Columbia suffered from his presence.

mraynrand
09-25-2008, 03:01 PM
I wonder if it was put up by the same folks who put up all those nooses earlier this year in response to the Jena 6.

texaspackerbacker
09-25-2008, 05:50 PM
Obama's own people probably hung him up there to drum up support and/or sympathy for him.

And how exactly is this RACIST--any more than lockstep support for the guy by blacks is RACIST? Making a statiement with visual aids that a candidate is a piece of trash sounds like FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION to me. That sure as hell is the way it would be portrayed if it was Bush hanging there.

bobblehead
09-25-2008, 07:14 PM
I wonder if it was put up by the same folks who put up all those nooses earlier this year in response to the Jena 6.

If historical statistics are followed it is about an 87% chance that this was done by a leftist trying to prove what a bunch of rascists the right is/are.

MJZiggy
09-25-2008, 07:42 PM
You would think that at a CHRISTIAN college, they would be teaching crazy things like tolerance, acceptance and right from wrong. Why does that kind of stuff sound so familiar...?

Tyrone Bigguns
09-25-2008, 07:47 PM

If historical statistics are followed it is about an 87% chance that this was done by a leftist trying to prove what a bunch of rascists the right is/are.

Please post these historical stats.

hoosier
09-25-2008, 08:01 PM

Please post these historical stats.

Here you go, I found them for you :lol:

1. The top 1% account for 39.89 % of all tax receipts.
2. The top 10% account for 70.79% of all tax receipts.
3. The top 50% account for 97.01% of all tax receipts.
4. The top 50% are paying more and more every year during the Bush years.
5. The average tax rate for the bottom 50% is 3.01%

Or:

http://www.lastfrost.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/elephant_ass1.jpg

Tyrone Bigguns
09-25-2008, 08:05 PM
87% of anarchists and liberal activists are conservativs trying to make the left look bad.

Kiwon
09-25-2008, 08:05 PM
George Fox is a Christian college of about 3,300 located in the western Oregon city of Newberg. It is just 10 miles from my home in Sherwood.

Originally a Quaker school, George Fox has shifted to becoming a conservative, Evangelical Christian college in recent years.

This incident has upset many Oregonians as it appears to target both Barack Obama, an African-American presidential candidate, and students of color at George Fox college.

So a college prank by an obviously very dedicated 20 year-old conservative, evangelical Christian student has offended the sensibilities of Oregonians?

I've got more of a problem with pacifists and liberal "Christian" groups throwing a party for IED manufactoring, Holocaust denying, homosexual hanging (bodies, not cutouts), "I'm gonna wipe Israel off the map" Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, who threatens the world with nuclear war.

Just think, OPR, if George Fox were still a Quaker school you could have had the president of Iran in your backyard.

.................................................. ...........................................

Religious Groups Condemn 'Obscene' Event Honoring Ahmadinejad

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Fox News

An event organized by several religious groups to honor Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad in New York Thursday has drawn ire from the Catholic League and several Jewish organizations, UPI reported.

Catholic League President Bill Donohue called on supporters to attend a rally to disrupt Thursday’s “obscene” Ramadan event.

"Ahmadinejad is a menace to freedom-loving people the world over, and the sight of religious groups embracing him is nauseating," Donohue told UPI. "The Catholic League is proud to take part in this rally, and we encourage people of all religious groups to have a contingent represent them on Thursday evening."

The Christian groups behind the event to honor Ahmadinejad are the American Friends Service Committee, Mennonite Central Committee, Quaker United Nations Office, Religions for Peace and the World Council of Churches, UPI reported.

The initial rally to protest Thursday’s dinner at the Grand Hyatt Hotel was organized by Women International and the Jewish Action Alliance.

Wendy Wright, President of Concerned Women for America, encouraged people to protest the event.

"As if beating, imprisoning and killing women, Christians and other Iranians is not enough, Iranian leaders' thirst for death spills over its borders to kill and wound American military and innocent civilians in Iraq,” she said.

“Ahmadinejad has grabbed the baton of his genocidal predecessors to threaten the extinction of the Jewish people and their homeland Israel. This is history repeating itself, proving again that evil exists and there is never a lack of 'useful idiots' to support the embodiment of evil.”

Ahmadinejad is in New York to address the United Nations General Assembly this week.

HowardRoark
09-25-2008, 08:08 PM
87% of anarchists and liberal activists are conservativs trying to make the left look bad.

78.56% of all statistics are made up.

texaspackerbacker
09-25-2008, 08:25 PM
You would think that at a CHRISTIAN college, they would be teaching crazy things like tolerance, acceptance and right from wrong. Why does that kind of stuff sound so familiar...?

Tolerance and acceptance are NOT Christian concepts. Rather, conversion and belief of Biblical truth are. And "right from wrong" is VERY SELDOM what liberals think it is. Most on the left wouldn't recognize "right from wrong" if it leaped up and bit them in the ass.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-25-2008, 08:28 PM
Tex is right. They are behaving just like Christians.

Unfortunately, not like Jesus.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-25-2008, 08:30 PM
Kiwon,

Just when i think you can't be more of hypocrite, you continue to prove me wrong.

If those college students had done the same to Mac or Palin..you'd be the first one posting about how atrocious it was...intolerant, hateful liberals.

But, for your guys..it is a prank.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-25-2008, 08:31 PM
double post

MJZiggy
09-25-2008, 08:33 PM

Tolerance and acceptance are NOT Christian concepts. Rather, conversion and belief of Biblical truth are. And "right from wrong" is VERY SELDOM what liberals think it is. Most on the left wouldn't recognize "right from wrong" if it leaped up and bit them in the ass.

What happened to following that dude that hung out with the tax collectors and the prostitute? You know the dude who talked about turning cheeks and casting the first stones and all that stuff??? I know I'm rusty, but I thought all that was in the Bible?

Tyrone Bigguns
09-25-2008, 08:35 PM

What happened to following that dude that hung out with the tax collectors and the prostitute? You know the dude who talked about turning cheeks and casting the first stones and all that stuff??? I know I'm rusty, but I thought all that was in the Bible?

That guy was a jew.

HowardRoark
09-25-2008, 08:43 PM

You are correct MJ, but you make a better case for turning the other cheek to the jackasses who did the hanging.

Tolerance for race goes without saying in Christianity. It goes beyond tolerance. Love thy neighbor as thyself, etc.

Christianity transcends all idiots.

Joemailman
09-25-2008, 08:47 PM

Your statement suggests that your attitude toward Christians is as enlightened as Tex's attitude toward liberals. Try painting with a smaller brush.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-25-2008, 08:59 PM

Your statement suggests that your attitude toward Christians is as enlightened as Tex's attitude toward liberals. Try painting with a smaller brush.

I'd take your opinion more seriously if you weren't an america hating leftist. Tex is a good normal american..i have to view his position on Christianity over yours.

HowardRoark
09-25-2008, 09:12 PM

I'd take your opinion more seriously if you weren't an america hating leftist. Tex is a good normal american..i have to view his position on Christianity over yours.

You don't give a shit about Christianity. What exactly do you give a shit about anyway?

Kiwon
09-25-2008, 09:22 PM
Kiwon,

Just when i think you can't be more of hypocrite, you continue to prove me wrong.

If those college students had done the same to Mac or Palin..you'd be the first one posting about how atrocious it was...intolerant, hateful liberals.

A cutout with fishing line attached dangling from a tree.

Call the FBI.

mraynrand
09-25-2008, 09:23 PM

You don't give a shit about Christianity. What exactly do you give a shit about anyway?

He's on record as supporting Andrew Sullivan's vision for America - you know, where we have humility in confronting evil (Christians, I assume) and that we don't have politicians who lie - and anything else Sullivan thinks, I suppose. Whatever his history and culture deem valuable. Unless he doesn't agree.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-25-2008, 09:27 PM
Kiwon,

Call the FBI.

Deny you wouldn't be up in arms if it were mac or palin, you hypocrite.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-25-2008, 09:28 PM

That is par for the course, dont' get angry at tex or address him for his enlightened position on Christianity...get mad at me because i echo it. :oops:

Kiwon
09-25-2008, 09:33 PM
Kiwon,

Call the FBI.

LOL. TB accuses me of HYPOCRISY.

Since when do YOU have standards? I think Hell has frozen over AND the earth has stopped spinning. :)

HowardRoark
09-25-2008, 09:34 PM
That is par for the course, dont' get angry at tex or address him for his enlightened position on Christianity...get mad at me because i echo it. :oops:

Otown, you and I have gone over Christianity ad nauseam in the past. I know your position, you know mine.

And I’m too busy trying to explain Capitalism to Tex lately.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-25-2008, 09:35 PM
Kiwon,

Call the FBI.

Since when do YOU have standards? I think Hell has frozen over AND the earth has stopped spinning. :)

Still waiting for your denial. Speaks volumes.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-25-2008, 09:36 PM
Kiwon,

Call the FBI.

Still waiting for your denial. Speaks volumes.

And, here you go with a nice non sequiter.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-25-2008, 09:38 PM

Otown, you and I have gone over Christianity ad nauseam in the past. I know your position, you know mine.

And I’m too busy trying to explain Capitalism to Tex lately.

We have? What is my position on Christianity? I'd be curious to know.

Capitalism: You better hurry, since he is veering into the illuminati as being responsible...and from there it is just a short hop to american kristalnacht.

texaspackerbacker
09-25-2008, 09:50 PM

First of all, any remarks you make would have far more credibility if they weren't about a religion you profess to not believe in.

A favorite tactic of liberals/atheists/whatever is to take incidents involving Jesus out of context and try to twist those incidences around to justify wrongheaded positions.

What counts--what defines Christianity--is the sum total of Biblical truth, obviously including the teachings and behavioral examples of Jesus.

Hanging out with tax collectors and a prostitute: tolerance and acceptance, yes--but only if you define t and a as allowing sinners to be forgiven if/when convert to true belief and repent of their sins. As Howard said, this probably applies to the people exercising their freedom of expression. BTW, what commandment or teaching of Jesus is being broken by hanging an effigy of a politician anyway? Somebody feel free to answer that.

Turning cheeks: an order to individuals that in the absence of orders from God or the government, they should NOT respond with force to evils done to them. Why the government? I'm assuming Render Unto Caesar ..... takes precedence over "Turn the other cheek"--lest any America-haters try to turn this into some anti-war crap.

Not casting the first stone: An order to those who have committed sins--everybody--not to do physical harm to other sinners. This also is superseded by Render Unto Caesar ...., in case you might want to throw out the whole criminal justice system, and would seem to not be at all applicable to the Oregon situation.

As for Jesus, the Bible, Christianity, whatever, subscribing to some kind of "All men are created equal" approach (I'm not sure where that leaves women), a big no way to that. That would be Abraham Lincoln's pet concept.

The Bible is saturated with references to God's Chosen People, tribes or groups God dictates should be wiped out, etc.

True, this doesn't justify hatred or discrimination for reason of RACE, but then, where do we have any evidence of THAT in this case? All I see is a political statement--people exercising their FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION to disrespect an evil rotten politician with a track record of disrespecting the religion of those making that political statement. Anybody got evidence of anythng racial? I didn't think so.

mraynrand
09-25-2008, 09:55 PM
We have? What is my position on Christianity? I'd be curious to know..

"The bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"

HowardRoark
09-25-2008, 10:00 PM
What is my position on Christianity? I'd be curious to know.

You don't understand it.

MJZiggy
09-25-2008, 10:02 PM
What a load of BS, Tex. Just because I no longer practice religion does not mean I wasn't trained in it nor does it suggest that I don't understand the way a Christian should be acting. I would expect that at a Christian school, acts of racial intolerance (and it is not the hanging of a political figure, but the racial overtones suggesting the historical hanging during the race riots--quit trying to change the context) would be considered wrong and spoken against (like say a certain dude did with some tax collectors).

I never spoke about the government as this has nothing to do with them. This has to do with societal norms within the Christian community. So you think veiled threats against others is ok for these Christian students. Somehow not the behaviour of the one you yourself suggested they should be emulating.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-25-2008, 10:02 PM

Ah, my myopic friend, the bible ain't the new testament...so, the quote says nothing about Christianity.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-25-2008, 10:04 PM

You don't understand it.

Maybe i don't because i keep getting bogged down in the inconsistencies tween all the gospels. :oops:

HowardRoark
09-25-2008, 10:06 PM
Ah, my myopic friend, the bible ain't the new testament...so, the quote says nothing about Christianity.

Thanks for proving my point. the Bible is the Old Testement and the New Testement put together.

Do we need to go over the Trinity again tonight?

mraynrand
09-25-2008, 10:07 PM

You don't understand it.

Maybe i don't because i keep getting bogged down in the inconsistencies tween all the gospels. :oops:

Because you don't understand it.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-25-2008, 10:10 PM

Thanks for proving my point. the Bible is the Old Testement and the New Testement put together.

For you..but, the quote is mine..and therefore I get to determine how i use it.

More importantly, who the fuck takes a South Park quote seriously?

HowardRoark
09-25-2008, 10:12 PM

How does a Park talk?

mraynrand
09-25-2008, 10:15 PM

Very funny, since the reference is from South Park, right? referring to Spock saying the line (in reference to his sacrifice for the Enterprise): "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one (not Obama)." That refers back to Luke 9:24 from the King James Bible (note 'Bible' includes the New Testament) where it is written: “For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: but whosoever will lose his life for my sake, the same shall save it.” Now, of course, South Park has it all twisted around of course, but your quote refers directly to the New Testament of the Bible.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-25-2008, 10:16 PM

You don't understand it.

Right. Get back to me after you've read all the stuff that didn't make your Western Canon at the Council of Trent...just a mere 12 centuries later.

mraynrand
09-25-2008, 10:16 PM

apparently you do, since it is in your tag line

mraynrand
09-25-2008, 10:17 PM

You don't understand it.

Right. Get back to me after you've read all the stuff that didn't make your Western Canon at the Council of Trent...just a mere 12 centuries later.

I'm back.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-25-2008, 10:18 PM

Very funny, since the reference is from South Park, right? referring to Spock saying the line (in reference to his sacrifice for the Entgerprise): "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one (not Obama)." That refers back to In the Luke 9:24 from the King James Bible (note 'Bible' includes the New Testament) where it is written: “For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: but whosoever will lose his life for my sake, the same shall save it.” Now, of course, South Park has it all twisted around of course, but your quote refers directly to the New Testament of the Bible.

Nope. That isn't what the quote was about.

It was simply about lessons that can be learned. Doesn't matter if they come from the Bible or Wrath of Khan.

mraynrand
09-25-2008, 10:23 PM

Very funny, since the reference is from South Park, right? referring to Spock saying the line (in reference to his sacrifice for the Entgerprise): "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one (not Obama)." That refers back to In the Luke 9:24 from the King James Bible (note 'Bible' includes the New Testament) where it is written: “For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: but whosoever will lose his life for my sake, the same shall save it.” Now, of course, South Park has it all twisted around of course, but your quote refers directly to the New Testament of the Bible.

It was simply about lessons that can be learned. Doesn't matter if they come from the Bible or Wrath of Khan.

I rest my case

Tyrone Bigguns
09-25-2008, 10:26 PM

I rest my case

Which makes me glad you aren't an attorney.

As stated, the bible isn't the new testament. So, your whole point that my quote reflects upon Christianity is up in smoke.

HowardRoark
09-25-2008, 10:35 PM
As stated, the bible isn't the new testament. So, your whole point that my quote reflects upon Christianity is up in smoke.

So, whatever you say is true in this little world of ours....is that the deal? What exactly is the Bible?

BTW, are you using drugs tonight?

Tyrone Bigguns
09-25-2008, 10:41 PM

So, whatever you say is true in this little world of ours....is that the deal? What exactly is the Bible?

BTW, are you using drugs tonight?

You are free to use the old and new. That is your right and what you believe.

However, i don't believe in the new testament nor do i call it the bible. And, that should be fine for you as well...with the understanding that you should want to enlighten me, show me the way, and convert me. Hopefully, not to intrusively.

My point is simply, that is is my quote and i have the right to define how i use it. The quote had nothing to do with Christianity.

Drugs: No. Why? You got some you want to share?

texaspackerbacker
09-25-2008, 10:48 PM
What a load of BS, Tex. Just because I no longer practice religion does not mean I wasn't trained in it nor does it suggest that I don't understand the way a Christian should be acting. I would expect that at a Christian school, acts of racial intolerance (and it is not the hanging of a political figure, but the racial overtones suggesting the historical hanging during the race riots--quit trying to change the context) would be considered wrong and spoken against (like say a certain dude did with some tax collectors).

I never spoke about the government as this has nothing to do with them. This has to do with societal norms within the Christian community. So you think veiled threats against others is ok for these Christian students. Somehow not the behaviour of the one you yourself suggested they should be emulating.

You have the point of view of an outsider/a detractor/a non-believer. I'm just saying that taints any value judgments you make on the religion, compared to true believers--kind of like non-fans' opinions of the Packers compared to those of us who really are true fans. You are like the Bob McGinn of Christianity.

Racial overtones/racial intolerance, these are merely CONVENIENT perceptions pushed by liberals who can't stand the concept that thieir pet candidate is so eminently HATEABLE--completely aside from his race. Do you have any evidence whatsoever--written racial epithets, for example--that there is anything racial here? Or is it merely the damned Obamaphiles whining because their piece of crap hero got disrespected?

And how do you extrapolate "veiled threats"? Undoubtedly hate for scum like Obama IS the norm in a Christian community like that--because, as I said, the guy is so eminently hateable.

The only thing I remember writing about government was the Render Unto Caesar stuff--which was a pre-emptive strike in case you or any other lefty had any thought of trying to justify some anti-war or soft on crime crap. Liberals/atheists/whatever tend to do that, you know.

Zool
09-25-2008, 10:50 PM
Ahh nothing like a race debate to bring out the duh in people.

Pissing contest...isle 3.

A reading from the book of System of a Down seems to fit here again.

"My cock is much bigger than yours,
My cock can walk right through the door
With a feeling so pure..
It's got you screaming back for more."

Praise be to SOAD.

texaspackerbacker
09-25-2008, 10:59 PM
Ahh nothing like a race debate to bring out the duh in people.

Pissing contest...isle 3.

A reading from the book of System of a Down seems to fit here again.

"My cock is much bigger than yours,
My cock can walk right through the door
With a feeling so pure..
It's got you screaming back for more."

Praise be to SOAD.

Ah, but it's NOT a race debate. The lefties are just trying to make it one to divert from the idea that people in a decent Christian community find Obama so hateable for so many other reasons.

MJZiggy
09-26-2008, 06:14 AM

You have the point of view of an outsider/a detractor/a non-believer. I'm just saying that taints any value judgments you make on the religion, compared to true believers--kind of like non-fans' opinions of the Packers compared to those of us who really are true fans. You are like the Bob McGinn of Christianity.

Racial overtones/racial intolerance, these are merely CONVENIENT perceptions pushed by liberals who can't stand the concept that thieir pet candidate is so eminently HATEABLE--completely aside from his race. Do you have any evidence whatsoever--written racial epithets, for example--that there is anything racial here? Or is it merely the damned Obamaphiles whining because their piece of crap hero got disrespected?

And how do you extrapolate "veiled threats"? Undoubtedly hate for scum like Obama IS the norm in a Christian community like that--because, as I said, the guy is so eminently hateable.

The only thing I remember writing about government was the Render Unto Caesar stuff--which was a pre-emptive strike in case you or any other lefty had any thought of trying to justify some anti-war or soft on crime crap. Liberals/atheists/whatever tend to do that, you know.

I also don't have the point of view of someone who celebrates the sudden and tragic death of a well respected professional whose only sin was asking questions of people in a way you didn't like. Your religious cred is completely shot.

Because I don't show up at a building with a cross on it on Sunday morning doesn't mean I think any differently than when I did and it doesn't mean that those who do show up and scream their religion the loudest believe any more than I do. Doesn't mean they treat their fellow humans any better either which you yourself have proven.

No one is discussing war or the government here, so let's quit trying to twist this away from what it is about, namely the behavior of one or more individuals in a specific situation in a specific community.