PDA

View Full Version : Allen no longer in substance abuse program

mngolf19
09-25-2008, 10:34 AM
http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/29722184.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiUo8cyaiUiD3aPc:_Yyc:a ULPQL7PQLanchO7DiU

Allen no longer in substance abuse program
The Vikings' defensive end has been cleared from the NFL program because he has had no violations in two years.

By JUDD ZULGAD, Star Tribune

Last update: September 25, 2008 - 5:24 AM

Jared Allen didn't make a big deal of it when he received the letter from NFL this month, but there was no dismissing its importance.

After two years, the Pro Bowl defensive end was no longer in the league's substance abuse program. "I don't have to tell them where I travel to anymore," Allen said. "I'm back to being a normal citizen in the NFL."

This is important because Allen was considered to be in Stage 2 of the program and could have faced a one-year suspension if he had another offense. That is no longer the case.

Allen's off-the-field issues were well-documented when the Vikings acquired him from Kansas City last spring and then made him the highest-paid defensive player in league history.

He had been arrested three times for drunken driving between 2002 and 2006, and giving him a six-year, $74.5 million deal that included $31 million guaranteed was considered to be a risk.

But Allen made an immediate impression by never attempting to dodge questions about his past -- he had been suspended for the first two games of 2007 by the NFL for violating its personal conduct policy -- and made it clear that while he still went full speed on the field his hard living ways off of it were behind him.

Allen has said on numerous occasions he no longer consumes alcohol.

Being taken out of the NFL's program is further proof Allen is doing far more than providing lip service.

Greg Aiello, an NFL spokesman, declined to confirm Allen is out of the program when asked Wednesday. Aiello wrote in an e-mail that "a player's status in the program is confidential other than announcing a player's suspension for violating the program."

While Aiello would not get into any specifics regarding Allen, he did confirm that a player entered into the program "will rotate out after two years if he has no violations."

For program purposes, such as failures to cooperate, positive tests and treatment plan violations, the clock has been reset for Allen. His record with the NFL is clean.

However, for violations of the law, such as drunken driving, Commissioner Roger Goodell would take prior history into account.

Not that any of this concerns Allen.

"I put that stuff behind me as soon as it happened," he said. "It's just nice to finally get to the end. You finally see all the hard work pay off."

Allen's work on the field is paying off, too. His two sacks in three games tie him with defensive tackle Kevin Williams for the team lead. Last season, defensive linemen Kenechi Udeze and Ray Edwards and linebacker Ben Leber tied for the team lead with only five sacks apiece.

Allen, who had 15.5 sacks in 14 games in 2007, also has six quarterback hurries and has opened up opportunities for teammates by drawing double teams.

Being out of the program will give Allen even more time to focus on football. He no longer will be subject to the random testing prescribed by the substance abuse program, and he won't have to inform league officials when he is traveling and where he is going. Allen even had to talk to a counselor on occasion.

This month's news won't be the only positive off-the-field step for Allen. He is due to get his driver's license back in early October after having it revoked because of his two drunken-driving arrests in 2006.

Allen has been employing a driver for about the last six months.

"When I get my license back it will be two years and I'm finally done," he said.

"Nothing else is lingering over my head. I can just continue to do what I'm doing."

Scott Campbell
09-25-2008, 10:40 AM
Congrats Jared Allen.

http://69.90.174.247/photos/display_pic_with_logo/85716/85716,1198834265,1.jpg

Tony Oday
09-25-2008, 10:46 AM
I still think its BS that the NFL can put you on this program for booze. Im not saying what Allen did is right but how many CEO's or VP's have DUIs?

KYPack
09-25-2008, 10:49 AM
Should we buy him a congratulatory round of beers?

oregonpackfan
09-25-2008, 11:14 AM
I still think its BS that the NFL can put you on this program for booze. Im not saying what Allen did is right but how many CEO's or VP's have DUIs?

"A drug is a drug is a drug."

For some people, alcohol can be as lethal a drug as cocaine, meth, or heroin.

Tony Oday
09-25-2008, 12:12 PM

Oh don't get me wrong I agree but its not an illegal drug so the NFL should stay out of it. I wouldn't get fired If I got 4 DUIs...Id be in jail and then get fired....but not because of the DUIs.

Zool
09-25-2008, 12:16 PM

Oh don't get me wrong I agree but its not an illegal drug so the NFL should stay out of it. I wouldn't get fired If I got 4 DUIs...Id be in jail and then get fired....but not because of the DUIs.

If you signed a code of conduct policy like NFL players do, you very well could be fired for a couple DUI's.

pbmax
09-25-2008, 12:50 PM
OK folks. Plan A is out the window. Onto Plan B.

What do we have in the medicine cabinet?

CaliforniaCheez
09-25-2008, 01:21 PM
So what has this Jared Allen (a loud mouthed drunk in a cowboy hat)
ever done for the viklings.

MadScientist
09-25-2008, 02:56 PM
Good for him. Lets hope he never touches a drop again, especially since he's getting his license back.

Football wise I hope he never even sniffs a QB unless they are playing da bers, and turns out like Joe Johnson did for GB.

Rastak
09-25-2008, 03:58 PM

Other than get in Manning's and Delomme's face all afternoon, record 2 sacks in three games, nothing. :lol:

He had a helluva game both of those games. Not everything a DE does gets in the stat line, as I'm sure you know.

mngolf19
09-25-2008, 06:23 PM

Other than get in Manning's and Delomme's face all afternoon, record 2 sacks in three games, nothing. :lol:

He had a helluva game both of those games. Not everything a DE does gets in the stat line, as I'm sure you know.

He also draws quite a few holding penalties. I'm happy with that along with what Ras said above.

Pacopete4
09-25-2008, 06:25 PM

he's still no Kampman

Kyle.McCarroll
09-25-2008, 07:03 PM

Chad Clifton's Nuts> Jared Allen

Rastak
09-25-2008, 07:32 PM

He played quite well every time he's played him but if you believe that
then

tank > you in football knowledge.

Kyle.McCarroll
09-25-2008, 07:55 PM

then

Wait, are you telling me that Jared Allen had played well against Chad Clifton???

He has only played him twice in his career, and has a total of 2 tackles and 1/2 a sack.

I don't really call that playing well. Actually, I call that Clifton making Allen his bitch.

So, um yeah... Chad Clifton's Nuts > Jared Allen

Rastak
09-25-2008, 09:22 PM

then

Wait, are you telling me that Jared Allen had played well against Chad Clifton???

He has only played him twice in his career, and has a total of 2 tackles and 1/2 a sack.

I don't really call that playing well. Actually, I call that Clifton making Allen his bitch.

If you think a guys testicles are better than 45 sacks at age 26 then you are a moron. Kampman has 45 sacks so I guess the Packers left tackles balls are better than him too.....plus he's been around longer.

Do you have any idea how dumb this argument is?

Zool
09-25-2008, 10:57 PM
Ras, I believe in this case the > refers to his balls being all over Allen.

Kyle.McCarroll
09-26-2008, 10:13 AM

then

If you think a guys testicles are better than 45 sacks at age 26 then you are a moron. Kampman has 45 sacks so I guess the Packers left tackles balls are better than him too.....plus he's been around longer.

Do you have any idea how dumb this argument is?

I'm afraid you don't understand how comparisons work. I'm comparing them head to head. Clifton has nothing to do with the sacks Jared Allen gets AGAINST OTHER TEAMS. There's not some magic sack number that a certain Green Bay LT's testes are equivalent to.

sharpe1027
09-26-2008, 04:08 PM

Meh, I don't have a problem with the NFL policy. He signed the contract afterall. Plus:

It is an illegal action that the NFL reacted to, not alcohol itself.

Also, I don't know enough about you, but I would guess your job isn't much like that of an NFL player.

I'm guessing your job doesn't require that you interact with the media that is looking for stories about you personally. You probably also aren't publically representing your company. Your value to your company probalby isn't your entertainment value to the general public. Finally, I doubt you are being paid tens of millions of dollars for your entertainment value.

Rastak
09-26-2008, 04:27 PM
I'm afraid you don't understand how comparisons work. I'm comparing them head to head. Clifton has nothing to do with the sacks Jared Allen gets AGAINST OTHER TEAMS. There's not some magic sack number that a certain Green Bay LT's testes are equivalent to.

Allen admitted Clifton played him very well and always seems too. Although you should factor in 2 holds yielding 20 yards lost in that battle.

Kyle.McCarroll
09-26-2008, 06:40 PM

Allen admitted Clifton played him very well and always seems too. Although you should factor in 2 holds yielding 20 yards lost in that battle.

Yeah, but the Vikes are paying him like 400 Billion Dollars to what...force two holding penalties against us?

I'll take that all day. Kampman is WAY cheaper (for now) and has more sacks than Allen.

MJZiggy
09-26-2008, 06:50 PM
Everything else aside, congrats to Allen. It's a bitch of a thing to overcome.

Rastak
09-26-2008, 08:16 PM

Yeah, but the Vikes are paying him like 400 Billion Dollars to what...force two holding penalties against us?

I'll take that all day. Kampman is WAY cheaper (for now) and has more sacks than Allen.

It was slightly less than 400 billion and he's been worth it thus far. I take it you've seen ONE game and made your final judgement?

Sacks are great. I like Kampman. Do understand the stat line does tell some of the story but not all.

Kyle.McCarroll
09-27-2008, 08:53 AM
It was slightly less than 400 billion and he's been worth it thus far. I take it you've seen ONE game and made your final judgement?

Sacks are great. I like Kampman. Do understand the stat line does tell some of the story but not all.

I hear ya. I'm just razzing you a little bit. It's what I do. :P

Allen is a beast, but Kampman is no cupcake either. Allen has a 6 yr/$72M contract. He's due to make $14M in 2013! :shock:

Kampman is under a 4 yr/$21M contract, granted he's probably going to get a healthy extension pretty soon.

Maybe my point is that the Vikings overpaid for Allen. Stupid Queens.

Rastak
09-27-2008, 09:06 AM

Allen is a beast, but Kampman is no cupcake either. Allen has a 6 yr/$72M contract. He's due to make $14M in 2013! :shock:

Kampman is under a 4 yr/$21M contract, granted he's probably going to get a healthy extension pretty soon.

I take it your're not entirely sure..... :lol:

Kyle.McCarroll
09-27-2008, 09:07 AM

:lol: The Vikings overpaid for Allen.

BZnDallas
09-27-2008, 06:53 PM

c'mon rastak... i've been reading your posts for a while now and you seem to have a good football head on your shoulders... i have been watching the vikings so far this year and jared allen is no way worth being the highest paid defensive player in the league, by his stat line or the intangibles he has brought to the table so far... and i don't see how you can spin it to say so... has he played well at times but no where near the best defensive player in the league

SnakeLH2006
09-28-2008, 02:30 AM

:lol: The Vikings overpaid for Allen.

Yep and here's why.

Allen is supremely talented but he faces the same challenges that many former NFL players have faced.

He got paid supremely...almost 13 million a year. Yet his legal issues aren't done yet.

I've had many really dumb redneck buddies just like him. How can I judge him do you ask? Well hey, he's done a bunch of articles in SI and Sporting News in the last year, and compute him to a really dumb redneck with exceptional pass-rushing skills.

From those articles and my experiece with TRUE rednecks (and yes Allen is one) they don't learn from mistakes. Allen likes to shoot shit, get drunk, and doesn't care.

Facts:

1) Allen (like Kampman) blows all pre-conceived conceptions of fast pass-rusher as a white dude away.

2) Allen likes to get drunk and shoot shit. Cool, yet he's a redneck glorified from everything I've read. Rednecks do that, yet they don't survive long (human longetivity or as an NFL player).

3) Thank god he's a Vike with numerous strikes with a MASSIVE contract. He'll implode before he make a difference as a NFC North All-Pro.

Iron Mike
09-28-2008, 08:21 AM
Facts:

1) Allen (like Kampman) blows all pre-conceived conceptions of fast pass-rusher as a white dude away.

What about Justin Smith??

Rastak
09-28-2008, 10:40 AM
2) Allen likes to get drunk and shoot shit. Cool, yet he's a redneck glorified from everything I've read. Rednecks do that, yet they don't survive long (human longetivity or as an NFL player).

Right. He's been 100% clean for two years, What the hell have you been reading? They just dropped him from the substance abuse progream which is the point of this thread.

Rastak
11-10-2008, 07:57 PM

then

Kyle, you catch the game yesterday?

Still in love with Clifton's nuts?

Actually, in all seriousness, Kampman put some presure on Frerotte yesterday and I do wish the Vikings had signed him away a couple years ago.