PDA

View Full Version : Wells returns

KYPack
09-26-2008, 08:54 AM
McCarthy announced that Scott Wells will return to the starting line-up on Wednesday. McCarthy said that center Scott Wells will start Sunday at Tampa Bay for the first time this season. Wells missed the Packers' first three games because of a back injury. His replacement, Jason Spitz, will shift back to right guard in the starting lineup.

So our new line is our old line returning to action. Now Harlan can complain about Scott again. I'm for it. Colledge has shown he can at least hang in there. Wells will be rusty, but we've got to get these guys in synch and have them gel as a unit.

Kyle.McCarroll
09-26-2008, 10:04 AM
All I can say is "Thank God Tony Moll is back to the bench now".

I think in the near future Spitz is going to take over for Wells at C, but for now it's good to have him back.

channtheman
09-26-2008, 10:57 AM
I think that this is great news. Our old lineup back together and maybe now we won't have any more fumbled snaps. I think we had 2 so far but I think that's unacceptable.

pbmax
09-26-2008, 11:17 AM
It will be interesting to see how they play. Comparison's will be tough because the Buc defense is not the Cowboys, but if my theory holds, with Wells we will be more consistent pass blocking and less consistent running inside.

We will get an even better look at the coaches plans once Sitton is fully healthy.

LL2
09-26-2008, 11:44 AM
The line needs to start giving Rodgers a little more time and open more holes for Grant and Jackson.

Harlan Huckleby
09-26-2008, 09:50 PM
Scott Wells is OK. Like a cheeseburger at Wendys - OK.

Perhaps the wheel of fortune will spin and Sitton will yet get on the field. Then we can find out if there is anything to get excited about.

Joemailman
09-26-2008, 10:44 PM
I'm happy that Wells is back. Even if Spitz is a little better at C than Wells, Spitz is much better at RG than Moll. Of course, the last time Wells played, he re-aggravated his back, so we'll see what happens.

BF4MVP
09-27-2008, 12:03 AM
Geez, people sure don't seem very high on Wells here..I think the guy's a good, solid player..It's good to have him back..

BZnDallas
09-27-2008, 01:30 AM
Scott Wells is OK. Like a cheeseburger at Wendys - OK.

Perhaps the wheel of fortune will spin and Sitton will yet get on the field. Then we can find out if there is anything to get excited about.

Its not fast food,

ITS WENDYS!!

Pacopete4
09-27-2008, 03:04 AM
GREAT!.... TT has made our line only semi shitty! I only wish we had a HOF QB that could handle that thru 16 games plus playoffs

TheCheese
09-27-2008, 03:45 AM
GREAT!.... TT has made our line only semi shitty! I only wish we had a HOF QB that could handle that thru 16 games plus playoffs

And you cry, bitch and complain when other people bring Favre up. Stop being a fucking hypocrite and lead by example damn it.

Tarlam!
09-27-2008, 05:22 AM

What a pathetic post. Had a few drinks tonight, Pete?

Kyle.McCarroll
09-27-2008, 09:05 AM

We do. His name is Aaron.

RashanGary
09-27-2008, 11:35 AM
I'm not a big Scott Wells fan either. He's a wimp (relatively speaking) and he's not going to get any stronger.

I look forward to a Colledge, Spitz, Sitton interior. For now, this is the best we have because Moll is not a guard, but I'm not entirely comfortable with Wells in there getting rag dolled. Sitton will need a year to get stronger and comfortable in the offense. AFter that, I think we'll be set inside for a while.

Lurker64
09-27-2008, 11:46 AM
Wells is smart, perceptive, and gritty which are all things that you really want in your center. But he's sort of maxed out mediocre in terms of physical tools. Against smaller fronts, you'd want him in since he's hard to fool and the center's responsibility is partly calling out blocking schemes. Against bigger fronts, I'd be more comfortable with Spitz. But "Center by committee" is not something that successful NFL teams do.

At the very least, replacing Moll with Spitz at G will be an upgrade.

RashanGary
09-27-2008, 11:49 AM
At the very least, replacing Moll with Spitz at G will be an upgrade.

Yep. I agree. This year, this is the best we have. It's not what you want, but it's OK. Next season I think we'll see a stronger, better OL that can get a better push in the redzone and short yardage. We'll get stronger at RG with Sitton over Spitz and we'll get stronger at center with Spitz over Wells. We'll also get stronger at LG with Colledge continueing to develop. Hopefully some long term solutions at tackle are either being developed or get drafted soon. I'm one of the few that likes Moll at right tackle. Left tackle needs to get sorted out soon though. Maybe Barbre can put his uber athletic ability to use out there.

Harlan Huckleby
09-27-2008, 11:58 AM
I'm happy that Wells is back. Even if Spitz is a little better at C than Wells, Spitz is much better at RG than Moll. Of course, the last time Wells played, he re-aggravated his back, so we'll see what happens.

Wouldn't you be happier if Sitton was inserted instead of Wells, and he proved to be a good player? Then two positions would get upgraded instead of one.

Its all specualation, I know, but I see nothing to get emotional over in Well's return as a mediocre center.

Harlan Huckleby
09-27-2008, 12:00 PM
I'd be more comfortable with Spitz. But "Center by committee" is not something that successful NFL teams do.

This is why I am dissappointed that Spitz has moved from the center position. He is the best player for center, it would be a big boost to the line to keep him there, and difficult to make the change later.

boiga
09-27-2008, 12:25 PM
Hopefully this will quell the "1 botched snap per game" streak we've been on this year thus far.

pbmax
09-27-2008, 02:00 PM
Geez, people sure don't seem very high on Wells here..I think the guy's a good, solid player..It's good to have him back..
I am happy he is healthy, but I am also eager to find a replacement who is as good and bigger. See the inside run game versus Minnesota this year versus the 2nd game last year.

boiga
09-27-2008, 02:53 PM
Sorry if this has been posted already, but I figured it was relevant.

Packers Offensive Line Proves It Can Stop The Run

GREEN BAY, WI—The Green Bay Packers offensive line, which has been criticized this season for its combination of youth and lack of experience playing as a unit, is confident it made great strides despite Sunday night's home loss to the Cowboys, who held the Packer running backs to a mere 84 yards.

"As soon a hole opened up, one of us slid over to plug it. We were airtight," said center Jason Spitz, proudly noting that Ryan Grant and Brandon Jackson "didn't see daylight all night." "That's the kind of thing that really makes a difference in this game." Guard Daryn Colledge denied that the Packers' offensive line had become an elite unit, saying they had to work on stopping the passing game by getting their hands up to bat down passes and meet their preseason goal of sacking Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers at least five times per game. Link (http://www.theonion.com/content/news_briefs/packers_offensive_line)

If pbmax and Harlan are right, Wells could bring the O-Line's run D to new levels.

Packers4Ever
09-27-2008, 04:30 PM

Now Paco ! I hear ya, but remember that old line. "be
careful what you wish for." :wink:

KYPack
09-27-2008, 06:48 PM
Sorry if this has been posted already, but I figured it was relevant.

Packers Offensive Line Proves It Can Stop The Run

GREEN BAY, WI—The Green Bay Packers offensive line, which has been criticized this season for its combination of youth and lack of experience playing as a unit, is confident it made great strides despite Sunday night's home loss to the Cowboys, who held the Packer running backs to a mere 84 yards.

"As soon a hole opened up, one of us slid over to plug it. We were airtight," said center Jason Spitz, proudly noting that Ryan Grant and Brandon Jackson "didn't see daylight all night." "That's the kind of thing that really makes a difference in this game." Guard Daryn Colledge denied that the Packers' offensive line had become an elite unit, saying they had to work on stopping the passing game by getting their hands up to bat down passes and meet their preseason goal of sacking Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers at least five times per game. Link (http://www.theonion.com/content/news_briefs/packers_offensive_line)

If pbmax and Harlan are right, Wells could bring the O-Line's run D to new levels.

The Onion.

Them commies are funny.